Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 4:54:12 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks for your patience with these issues, we regret that they slipped through to release but we have tried to fix the critical issues as quickly as possible. If that goes well, this will become an official release by tomorrow.

We strongly recommend that if you are experiencing any crash or economy issues that you give this update a try. This update will work fine with existing saved games.

For the economy fix, also be aware that it's not an "instant fix". Once you load your saved game, you will need to let it run for a bit while the economy sorts itself out but it will improve and get back to a better condition.

Here's how to download this update - because it's a public beta, you need to get it from our Members Club. Click on the Members Link in the top nav bar. If you haven't created an account there yet or registered your copy of Distant Worlds, please do so. Once logged in and registered, click on "My Games" then click on the "Private Downloads" link next to Distant Worlds and you will see a link to download the public beta update.

Please note that once this becomes official, it will be available through our normal download and update process (in the Latest Downloads section and through the "Check for Updates" link on your game menu) but we do not like to release public beta updates widely until we are sure they are good to go.

Items fixed/added in this patch:

1 - Fixed overall Economy issues. A bug was introduced to order fulfillment that prevented freighters from distributing resources properly, thus tanking the development level of your colonies over time. This has been fixed and tested against multiple customer savegames.
2 - Fixed crash at startup when Windows language settings are Polish or other languages that use commas as decimal separators (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2413949)
3 - Fixed crashes when zoom in/out at edge of galaxy (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2414140)
4 - Fixed crash that occasionally occurs when opening Expansion Planner screen (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2414116)
5 - Fixed crash that sometimes occurs when you sort items in Construction Yards screen by the Maintenance column (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2414115)
6 - Fixed crash that occasionally occurs when explore ruins (AndrewL encountered this)
7 - Fixed crashes when game ends. This problem was frequently showing up as repeatable crashes when victory conditions set (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2415200)
8 - Fixed bug that caused various crashes related to attempt to finish construction of planet destroyer. This bug manifested itself in a variety of unusual crashes, but the underlying cause was any empire attempting to build the planet destroyer (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2414757)
9 - Fixed crash caused by defeated empires sometimes still being referenced by other empires (AndrewL encountered this)
10 - Fixed bug where could not retrofit to designs generated by "Upgrade" button in Designs screen (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=241623)
11 - Fixed bug where player giving gift to other empires had no effect (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2416641)
12 - Fixed crash when press Alt-F4 to exit Distant Worlds - this key combination is now disabled while in the main game
13 - Added quick-save key shortcut: Ctrl-S, saves current game, or prompts for file name if no current save

The bugs in items 7 and 8 were causing most of the mysterious "Distant Worlds has stopped working" crashes that have been reported. Looking forward to not seeing those again...

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 3/28/2010 4:58:53 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 4:56:26 PM   
Tycow

Quick question regarding this beta and future updates. Can save game compatibility be guaranteed when moving to a newer version of DW?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 4:57:52 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tycow
Quick question regarding this beta and future updates. Can save game compatibility be guaranteed when moving to a newer version of DW?

Can't necessarily guarantee that for the future, but this one is compatible with previous saves. We do not want to break save compatibility, but if it's required for a serious issue to be fixed, we will do so.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Tycow)
Post #: 3
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:00:50 PM   
Tycow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tycow

Can't necessarily guarantee that for the future, but this one is compatible with previous saves. We do not want to break save compatibility, but if it's required for a serious issue to be fixed, we will do so.

Coolio, that's a good stance to take. I assume you guys would announce that new games would be required on application of a non-compatible game patch.

Post #: 4
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:03:55 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, and we'll try to avoid that unless really necessary.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Tycow)
Post #: 5
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:04:28 PM   
DivePac88

Thank you Erik, and team for all the hard work that went into this patch, your support is first rate (as usual). But I must admit that I've been lucky, I've been playing Distant Worlds now for two days, and have not had one problem or glitch!

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

Post #: 6
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:08:40 PM   
HsojVvad

WOW I am impressed. 2 days after release and a patch to fix something that people were complaining about. Codeforce does really listen to it's customers. Well I hope this is the case because that would mean CodeForce knew about this and releaseed the game anyways and was close to completion to fix. I hate the buy now patch later approach. But I understand CodeForce can't find all the bugs, (just wundering how many beta testers were there but understand this question can't be answered) but it does seem that Codeforce is listening to us, and even implimneted a quick save option, wich I will love greatly.

I am glad I bought this game, no I know for shure if there is any problems, CF will try and fix the problems right away.

(in reply to Tycow)
Post #: 7
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:18:27 PM   
Tycow

Downloaded - testing now :)

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 8
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:23:31 PM   
HsojVvad

So if we download this beta, and when the official one comes out, will it over write the beta one? In other games when there was a beta patch, the beta patch had to be deleted first before the offical patch can be applied. How does it work for you guys?

(in reply to Tycow)
Post #: 9
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:28:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

The official update will overwrite the beta, no problem.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 10
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:33:50 PM   
EisenHammer

Outstanding... And time for me to get DW.
The support for this game is just awesome.

(in reply to Tycow)
Post #: 11
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:36:39 PM   
Kumppi

My freighters are zipping all over the place and my homeworld is getting the goods it needs. Great job

(in reply to EisenHammer)
Post #: 12
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:37:23 PM   
lordxorn

I am having a problem downloading it, it ask for a login request, tried using my member info and it still doesn't work. The anonymous login doesn't work either.

(in reply to Tycow)
Post #: 13
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:43:17 PM   
Erik Rutins

Just tested it, working fine here - do you have anything running that might interfere with a FTP transfer, be it security software or some kind of browser add-on? No login required, just a download link you click in your browser.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 14
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:45:10 PM   
lordxorn

maybe DAP, let me uninstall that crap. =-P

Post #: 15
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:47:32 PM   
Wade1000

quote:

Here's how to download this update - because it's a public beta, you need to get it from our Members Club. Click on the Members Link in the top nav bar. If you haven't created an account there yet or registered your copy of Distant Worlds, please do so. Once logged in and registered, click on "My Games" then click on the "Private Downloads" link next to Distant Worlds and you will see a link to download the public beta update.

Could you elaborate on "Members Club" with a slight overview of what it is? Will you supply a link to "Members Club"?
-----

I think I found it.
http://www.matrixgames.com/community/login.asp

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/28/2010 5:50:17 PM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

Post #: 16
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:50:20 PM   
Hyfrydle

Just downloaded and installed ready to see this helps with my first game save where the economy really went downhill.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 17
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:54:29 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, that's the place Wade. The Members Club serves two purposes: First, it's for game registration. Once you register, your serial number is stored there and you can retrieve it at any time. Second, you can get access to extra stuff, including signing up for the mailing list for a particular game and getting access to public betas and occasionally some additional bonus content.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hyfrydle)
Post #: 18
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 5:55:22 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hyfrydle
Just downloaded and installed ready to see this helps with my first game save where the economy really went downhill.

FYI we tested it with every economy save we received and in all cases it did turn things around (though it won't fix over-building, but it will fix the underlying cause which was lowering the homeworld development and causing income problems).

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hyfrydle)
Post #: 19
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 6:03:00 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Yes, that's the place Wade. The Members Club serves two purposes: First, it's for game registration. Once you register, your serial number is stored there and you can retrieve it at any time. Second, you can get access to extra stuff, including signing up for the mailing list for a particular game and getting access to public betas and occasionally some additional bonus content.

you know, I check that box every time I register a game and don't think I have ever gotten any thing (don't think it is going to the junk mail folder, I got to clean that almost every day :(

Post #: 20
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 6:12:55 PM   
Tycow

Trying out the beta, and things are looking much more positive on the economy so far. :)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 21
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 6:15:04 PM   
fabio80mi

Tried the beta also.
Seems to be running smoothly :)

I am now in the middle of a three-race conflict in around 30 systems .. epic :D

(in reply to Tycow)
Post #: 22
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 6:17:16 PM   
Webbco

Looking a heck of a lot better, Erik. Will keep you posted if any problems arise. Thanks once again 

(in reply to fabio80mi)
Post #: 23
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 6:18:25 PM   
Jarhead0331

After applying the beta patch, my saved games are no longer available...?

de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 24
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 6:22:21 PM   
Webbco

Did you change the directory location for saved games in the previous version? After installing the patch, it goes back to the default location for saved games.

(in reply to Jarhead0331)
Post #: 25
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 6:27:12 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, the update resets the save location - sorry about that, we will see if we can fix that before this goes official. All your saves are still there in their original location and will open with this version. If you had them in the default location, just back up one folder level and go into the folder for the previous version.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 26
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 6:29:39 PM   
Jarhead0331

Aha! Thanks...

de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.

Post #: 27
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 6:30:45 PM   
malkuth74

Just downloaded it and will test it to see what happens. But I ended up fixing my economy some how before the patch and it seems that slowly but shurly my econ is back on track and I am growing again. Left me behind a very lot though. But coming back.

Will see what happens with this patch.

Post #: 28
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 6:37:52 PM   
jnpoint

Thanks for a fantastic support. This alone tells me, that I made the right choice, when I bought the game. Even Paradox did not support EU that fast

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 29
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 6:45:05 PM   
RViener

Erik, Just to let you know CTD's with victory conditions resolved even with all settings checked.
Bob Viener

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI