Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Screen layout suggestion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Screen layout suggestion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Screen layout suggestion - 3/28/2010 6:35:34 PM   
Yam

I know lots of folks are having a hard time with the font in game and have to use lower screen resolutions than they normally would to see the text. The problem with this is we lose lots of usuable playing area in the middle of the screen when the text/display boxes grow. Compare running at 1600x1200 with 1024x768.

One small mitigation might be to push the text and display boxes back in to the 20-30 pixel width around the outside of the screen that is currently pretty worthless - if you look closely objects pass behind the text and display boxes and are visible briefly on the outside of the screen before they move off screen - but this is really just wasted real estate in play terms.

Ok just a pet peeve I admit - great game - thought I'd throw it out there while hopefully the user interface issues are being addressed.

< Message edited by Yam -- 3/28/2010 6:42:46 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Screen layout suggestion - 3/28/2010 6:54:39 PM   
JohnM

Or maybe make the info boxes on the lower left and right hand corners collapsible?

(in reply to Yam)
Post #: 2
RE: Screen layout suggestion - 3/28/2010 7:03:08 PM   
Yam

John - the hotkey T does toggle on/off the boxes in 2 steps, effectively collapsing them, quite useful in some cases. However, I personally rarely do so except during maybe battles - it's just too slow to do it all the time for me - hence my suggestion to make the best use of the screen area we have. My 2c.

(in reply to JohnM)
Post #: 3
RE: Screen layout suggestion - 3/28/2010 7:07:39 PM   
Deto

On the topic I'd suggest making all the UI elements 'movable' (some sort of 'lock' button?) so those who use dual screens can pull maps and infobar etc on second screen :)

And I wish the 'view lock' (L key) button was visible if you had lock on or not. Just a minor thing :)

(in reply to JohnM)
Post #: 4
RE: Screen layout suggestion - 3/28/2010 7:41:56 PM   
JohnM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yam

John - the hotkey T does toggle on/off the boxes in 2 steps, effectively collapsing them, quite useful in some cases. However, I personally rarely do so except during maybe battles - it's just too slow to do it all the time for me - hence my suggestion to make the best use of the screen area we have. My 2c.

Didn't know that. Thanks! But I can see your point too. We'll see what CodeForce comes up with.

(in reply to Yam)
Post #: 5
RE: Screen layout suggestion - 3/28/2010 8:34:02 PM   
KonkeyDong

Yeah, the font is a little annoying at times. At 1650x1080 the font is tiny; makes it hard to read. The translucent windows and the ship under the text don't help either. :)

I think WPF has settings somewhere for ClearType implementation. Could the team please take a look?

(in reply to JohnM)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Screen layout suggestion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI