Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to sweep mines?????????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> How to sweep mines????????? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to sweep mines????????? - 7/15/2002 8:31:31 PM   
thantis

Good morning All,

I have having the toughest time sweeping mines at Rabaul. I am a task force of 8 MSW & 2 DMS, and had them at Rabaul for a week - and didn't have a single indication that any mines were swept (i.e. lane cleared, etc).

How exactly does one go about sweeping mines - what composition of task force, what mission setting (mine warfare? or surface combat?), and how long should it take?

I'm confused..............:( :confused:
Post #: 1
- 7/15/2002 10:15:30 PM   
U2

Hi

Two ways:

1, If you have an invasion force moving towards an enemy base you can include 2-3 minesweepers in the TF and they will do the job.

2, Create a mine warfare TF and set them on do not retire and they should do the job.

Dan

(in reply to thantis)
Post #: 2
Mine gott! - 7/15/2002 11:04:32 PM   
Scouters

I have had experience similar to that of Thantis. In attacking Kavieng I had complete air and sea superiority and was able to station a TF of 8 MSW in the base for 4 turns. They were set to Patrol/Do Not Retire. Each turn there were no messages that my sweepers were doing anything productive. So I figured that the coast was clear. On the 5th turn I moved in my invasion task force and was surprised to see numerous mine attacks and many ships damaged. Still no action from my MSWs. The next turn my troops continued to unload and my transport TFs took additional casualties. Still no message of sweeping activity. At the end of the 2nd turn my troops pushed out the enemy and took control of the base. With the capture of the base the minefield suddenly became visible (as the manual states should happen). Now, suddenly my sweepers kick into action, clearing a path and widening it over the next several turns until its gone.

So it seems there are two possibilities:

1. My MSW's were sweeping mines (apparently at a low rate since they didn't know the exact placements of the fields) but no messages indicating this were generated.

2. My MSW's were doing nothing until the mine fields were positively identified and mapped out after the capture of the base.

I suspect that #1 was going on, in which case I would really appreciate some message that mines are at least present in the hex and are being swept by the MSW's. I think this is the kind of feedback a commander would want. If its #2 then it seems like it could be a bug since you would think that after a total of 6 turns in a hex with mines that the MSW's would have spotted them.

Maybe I've missed a fundamental aspect of the mine-sweeping routine, in which case somebody could slap me upside the head and set me on the right path.

Thanks!
Scouters

(in reply to thantis)
Post #: 3
Minesweeping at Truk - 7/17/2002 6:52:07 PM   
msaario

For a long time I tried to sweep (visible) US mines at Truk with MSWs based there. Nothing happened. Then I set the TF home port to someplace else than Truk and the guys started to do their job. I tried both patrolling there and keeping the MSWs undocked. Only changing the home port to another one did the trick.

Mines are quite effective, I had 30 hits in one turn from my own mines when landing at Noumea. So, now I know that MSWs are needed in transport TFs, too...

--Mikko

(in reply to thantis)
Post #: 4
It might be a bug - 7/17/2002 6:57:32 PM   
TheProfessional

Dare, I say, it might be a bug.. I have never seen it work with only MSWs on a mine warfare mission.

But, one way I have positively been able to seep mines is to create a transport TF with 1 AP, load it with a small unit and attach 7-8 MSWs to it. Set the Transport group target to be the base (i.e. Rabaul) and let them do their thing. The mines get swept and you only risk 1 AP doing it.

I usually have the larger Transport AP group waiting 1 hex away for the minesweeping to complete before unloading. Of course, you should have an Air Combat TF following the Transport TF to protect it from air attack.

Good luck.

(in reply to thantis)
Post #: 5
- 7/17/2002 7:57:05 PM   
thantis

I'm going to try a couple of different things to clear those mines at Rabaul.....I've first got to get sufficient supplies up to Bonis - load the troops, then send the mine sweepers on their way (with one AP, of course).

We'll see what happens......

(in reply to thantis)
Post #: 6
Boum! - 7/17/2002 8:44:14 PM   
mariovalleemtl

Yesterday, I send a MWS to sweep a mines field near Lunga... and the ship hit a mine He was supose to clean and sunk !!!

:(

(in reply to thantis)
Post #: 7
- 7/17/2002 9:07:57 PM   
Kingfish

I suggest sending in a flight of B-17s set at 1000 feet to sweep the mines.

(in reply to thantis)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> How to sweep mines????????? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI