Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/30/2010 4:08:29 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Norb said yesterday over on the SOWGB forum:

"I fully expect to remove the drm stuff at some point. I like to do that once we're done with it ourselves."

Just thought I'd pass this along to anyone who has been holding back because of the activation DRM.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Post #: 1
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/30/2010 4:11:42 PM   
wodin

Good news..

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 2
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/30/2010 5:06:00 PM   
JudgeDredd

cool

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/30/2010 5:28:36 PM   
junk2drive

That is still a fairly criptic answer. Could be a year, 5 years, ??

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/30/2010 6:22:05 PM   
htuna

At least they could change it to multiple Machines right now.. so you can do your desktop and laptop.. and who knows how long this company could be around.... really wanted to get this one.. but the DRM thing is pretty big..

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 5
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/30/2010 6:29:28 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

That is still a fairly criptic answer. Could be a year, 5 years, ??

My thoughts exactly. Let me know when something definite is announced.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 6
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/30/2010 7:05:27 PM   
MajFrankBurns

I'm at least going to wait for the boxed version hopefully I'll at least get a printed manual out of it for $44.95
Does anyone else think it's a little much for just a download version?

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 7
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/30/2010 10:01:56 PM   
e_barkmann

quote:

Nope, seriously it's a bargain.

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to MajFrankBurns)
Post #: 8
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/30/2010 10:07:28 PM   
Alan Sharif

I am waiting for the boxed version to. Like the two Take Command titles it is fabulous and I have no problem paying $44.95 for I will get a great many hours enjoyment from it. Still playing Take Command, this will be no different. 

A Sharif

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 9
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/30/2010 10:11:18 PM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant

quote:

Nope, seriously it's a bargain.

I agree. It's been a long time since I've played a game right out of the chute with so few bugs. They took their time and got it right. It really is a bargain at $44.95.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 10
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/30/2010 11:59:20 PM   
Obsolete

quote:

I fully expect to remove the drm stuff at some point.

Is that after the DRM is cracked, or after the title is at its end of shelf-life?  :P

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

Post #: 11
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/31/2010 12:07:43 AM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

Is that after the DRM is cracked, or after the title is at its end of shelf-life?  :P

Probably the former, as its important (majors seem to think that way, at least) to protect sales of the first 2 weeks. Quite some companies remove or tone down copy protection (eg. the CD-check) through one or another patch, after initial sales have been secured, some do it after several weeks, others after a few months.

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 3/31/2010 12:08:09 AM >

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 12
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/31/2010 12:22:50 AM   
Grim.Reaper

I know it still does not state any final plans for when DRM would ever be removed, the developer did make an additional post that stated if ever the company folded or decided not to provide support, they would lift the DRM at that point. Of course who knows until that time really comes:)

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 13
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/31/2010 12:34:02 AM   
Lord_Stanley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

I know it still does not state any final plans for when DRM would ever be removed, the developer did make an additional post that stated if ever the company folded or decided not to provide support, they would lift the DRM at that point. Of course who knows until that time really comes:)

Coming from a guy that deleted 3/4 of the MMG forums out of spite and released a patch to unlock Tc2m maps without partners consent

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 14
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/31/2010 1:16:43 AM   
Obsolete

quote:

stated if ever the company folded

You are not going to like what I have to say here, but it must be said.  I have seen many developers come and go.  Many wargames have lost their support because of this.  And one thing that you can count on, is when a developer goes bust, all assets get frozen.  This is done due to legal reasons, and it also means that last minute changes, fixing, editing of the software simply DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Even if a programmer has a patch all ready to go at the last second and wants desperately to repair some bugs, this just will not happen.  Once assets are frozen (this order comes quickly and literally does happen over-night), that’s it.  Everything is locked down.  Layers will immediately remind all former employees of severe penalties that may/will happen if tinking around with patches, etc. during the final months of dissolving the companies.

You can argue this, but I have seen it over, and over, and over again…  IIRC Norm Kodger thought he could be an exception in at least one of these cases, and despite he had some great code fixes he wanted to do, was simply told to go fly a kite.

Now sure, there are a few exceptions where some support was carried out after termination by devoted community hackers (though a bit illegally).  I would not count on it too likely.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to Lord_Stanley)
Post #: 15
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/31/2010 1:31:09 AM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

quote:

stated if ever the company folded

You are not going to like what I have to say here, but it must be said.  I have seen many developers come and go.  Many wargames have lost their support because of this.  And one thing that you can count on, is when a developer goes bust, all assets get frozen.  This is done due to legal reasons, and it also means that last minute changes, fixing, editing of the software simply DOES NOT HAPPEN.

Even if a programmer has a patch all ready to go at the last second and wants desperately to repair some bugs, this just will not happen.  Once assets are frozen (this order comes quickly and literally does happen over-night), that’s it.  Everything is locked down.  Layers will immediately remind all former employees of severe penalties that may/will happen if tinking around with patches, etc. during the final months of dissolving the companies.

You can argue this, but I have seen it over, and over, and over again…  IIRC Norm Kodger thought he could be an exception in at least one of these cases, and despite he had some great code fixes he wanted to do, was simply told to go fly a kite.

Now sure, there are a few exceptions where some support was carried out after termination by devoted community hackers (though a bit illegally).  I would not count on it too likely.

Believe me, I understand the uncertainess but that comes with everything in life. I have seen little companies and big companies disappear overnight so no use trying to guess what will happen. I really wasn't try to defend or bash the DRM for this game or any other. It is what it is and each person can make up their own mind if they want to risk it or not.

At this point, I'm personally not going to spend too much time playing the "what-if" game with this developer or any others. Before I purchased, I understood the DRM and I choose to accept it. I'm confident enough that I will get my money's worth so I have decided to take the risk. In the end could something bad happen sure, but I'm not going to spend everyday thinking about it:)

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 16
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/31/2010 2:21:07 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

I bought the first two games retail w/o any sort of licensing scheme.

I'll give the game a second look when it's for sale, rather than for rent.

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 17
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/31/2010 3:37:16 AM   
jomni

I think i'm going to wait for the $5 version. Lol!

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 18
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/31/2010 4:21:40 AM   
DampSquib

The demo's a hoot..

< Message edited by DampSquib -- 3/31/2010 6:17:00 AM >

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 19
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/31/2010 6:14:26 AM   
goodwoodrw

G'day, firstly lets not cast dispersions on this forum 1 thread has already been locked, lets keep our opinions to the game, I must say it is a lot of fun. It's designed to make money for the devs and give buyers some value for what they think it's worth for their entertainment $ The Courier system appears to be a real winner, not to mention other great features. D/L the demo and feel for the game, it cost nothing other than bandwidth. I wish I had the same opportunity with other games.
Ron

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to DampSquib)
Post #: 20
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 3/31/2010 1:00:05 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: BASB

G'day, firstly lets not cast dispersions on this forum 1 thread has already been locked, lets keep our opinions to the game

I agree completely. There are a lot of truly fine gentlemen involved in this project. It would be terribly wrong for us to undermine their work because of concerns that some of our readers may have regarding anyone's "guilt by association."

That said, there's a growing list of games that I haven't purchased because I found the licensing scheme objectionable. I've spent many thousands of dollars on games over the years, and I have no intention of accepting punishment because of the misdeeds of others.

No rentals, please.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 21
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 4/11/2010 1:14:17 PM   
Smintar

I have bought box versions of games before and their company has gone out of business. It's a risk we all take. I bought this game and I have enjoyed the heck out of. Yes they have some issues but so far they r working on it.It's a great but to say the least. But don't you dl games? Yes it's worth the 44.95 and yes I would like to have the box but I'm not to bother by it not to buy.When good games come out like this one support it it's not very often you get a game like this.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Smintar -- 4/11/2010 1:15:41 PM >

Post #: 22
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 4/11/2010 1:16:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

Smintar,

Just out of curiosity, what is your relationship with this project, if any? I noticed that all four of your posts over the last year have been to announce or recommend this game.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Smintar)
Post #: 23
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 4/11/2010 1:49:37 PM   
Smintar

I am a gamer and nothing more. I started game way back when atri and my interest has always been there I help test games from impressions and when some of them went and started Tilted Mills. I have tested various on-line games aswell. Now since I am retired it gives more time to do what I like. I was part of Civil War generals Impressions game then it evolved into CWG2 it was my hope then that they would make CWG3 but never did. there were few game out there that really drew my attention and that TC2M and today the folks that do the modding keep that alive. When we heard that Norb was going to make a MP of the Civil War myself and lot of others were and are estactic about it.

A little more about myself I am a veteran VN era and I love History , I love the civi war era along with Napolean, WW1 fighter (Rise of Flight) is a good rendition of that. But my faorvite is SOW. I hope that I have answered your question, if not please ask again and thxs for asking me :)

Your Servant
G.M. Lee

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 24
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 4/11/2010 4:40:17 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smintar

I have bought box versions of games before and their company has gone out of business.

Me too, but it's irrelevant if I own a hard-copy and there's no "phone-home" DRM.

quote:

It's a risk we all take.

With utmost sincerity, this is something that I've steadfastly resisted. I've decided not to purchase at least three popular, military-themed games in the last six months because of the DRM schemes associated with each. Those decisions are meaningful because I USED TO BUY EVERY FREAKING SUCH GAME THAT WAS RELEASED. That said, I'm not interested in rentals.

quote:

I bought this game and I have enjoyed the heck out of. Yes they have some issues but so far they r working on it.It's a great but to say the least.

As I stated further up the thread, there are a lot of truly fine men associated with this project. No doubt, they spent many an hour pounding War3D into something worthwhile. They'll be very pleased to hear that you are enjoying the fruits of their labor.

quote:

But don't you dl games?

Not unless it's part of a package-deal that includes a CD/DVD.

quote:

Yes it's worth the 44.95 and yes I would like to have the box but I'm not to bother by it not to buy.

Again, the issue is one of ownership. I'm a gamer, but I'm also a collector of games. I realize that this may put me in a minority of sorts as regards "wargamers," but so be it. And as I mentioned, I purchased copies of the first two games from now-defunct MadMinute, one from CompUSA and the other "etail" from PI. Regrettably, that's not going to be an option in this case.

quote:

When good games come out like this one support it it's not very often you get a game like this.

Respectfully, that door swings both ways. If a developer and/or publisher wants my money, they are going to have come through with the goods. Otherwise, my money stays parked at Edward Jones (TM). Glad that you're enjoying the game, BTW. May it bring you many, many hours of fun and entertainment. And thanks for your comments.

(in reply to Smintar)
Post #: 25
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 4/11/2010 4:51:12 PM   
Ron

I am finding these Game leading to DRM threads interesting. Here we have violence, wars, homelessness, government corruption, starvation that continue without let up but hey here comes some little game company trying to make a living and HERE, NOW I am going to put my foot down, speak up and stand for something - NO DRM! Kind of sad really....

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 26
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 4/11/2010 5:02:03 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smintar

I am a gamer and nothing more.

Don't be too concerned, Smintar. People schill for games all the time around here, usually playtesters or someone else associated with the developer. LOL, someone recently PM'd me with questions about a game from HPS because they mistook me for just such a scoundrel. In point of fact, HPS doesn't know me from Adam (pregnant pun, but, nonetheless, unintended). Those comments made, you'll typically have more credibility with our readers if you make this clear on the front end.

(in reply to Smintar)
Post #: 27
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 4/11/2010 5:16:49 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron

I am finding these Game leading to DRM threads interesting. Here we have violence, wars, homelessness, government corruption, starvation that continue without let up but hey here comes some little game company trying to make a living and HERE, NOW I am going to put my foot down, speak up and stand for something - NO DRM! Kind of sad really....

Homelessness and starvation in Canada?

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 28
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 4/11/2010 5:19:55 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks Smintar,

That does answer my question - good to meet you and carry on.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Smintar)
Post #: 29
RE: Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! - 4/11/2010 7:31:46 PM   
htuna

Darn.. saw this post updated and thought they changed the DRM!!!.. oh well

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Gettysburg DRM to go bye bye! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI