Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Making Diplomacy More Interesting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Making Diplomacy More Interesting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Making Diplomacy More Interesting - 3/31/2010 2:50:27 PM   
impact

Hello :)
So, I was thinking...while the diplomacy options certainly are great, they amount to pretty much the same options you have in other strategy games. Which is great, don't get me wrong, but being involved in real life politics and thinking a lot about stuff like that, I had some ideas for you.
Just something to inspire you, not exactly feature requests, but maybe you will like it.

In politics, especially international politics and diplomacy, there is one fact your whole negotiating strategies are based on: Everybody wants SOMEthing.
Keeping that in mind, in-game politics would get more interesting if each nation had their own "agenda", something they value and wish to achieve.
For example:
A nation that gets decent bonusses to tech could be interested in scientific development. So money might not be as much worth to them than technologies are. Meaning that giving them monetary gifts or trading something of theirs for money isn't as attractive to them. It doesn't influence your standing with them that strongly and you won't get as much from them in a trade as you would get from other empires.
However, if instead you give them technologies for free or try to trade them, your standing with them improves strongly and you will get a better trade deal with them.
On the other hand, they aren't as willing to part with their technology as other races might be.
Other factors could include that they start disliking you if your tech is more advanced than theirs (and/or you don't share with them). And while they don't take as much offense when you build your colonies or mines near their borders as other empires would, they would really start to get angry if you build research stations around black holes or novas they have their eyes on.
You get the picture, I believe :)
That way diplomacy wouldn't necessarily get harder, but more diverse and interesting. You couldn't just improve standing with someone by granting large gifts, but you would have to find out what makes them tick first (for example, if they are a technocracy then it's a sure bet that they will love new tech).
This should also affect their expansion strategies - which it already should do anyway. I never really watched the AI for too long, but I just assume that technocracies will realize that they have an advantage in R&D and try to exploit this. ;)
Post #: 1
RE: Making Diplomacy More Interesting - 3/31/2010 2:57:40 PM   
HsojVvad

A nice idea. I like it. Maybe for an expansion pack.

(in reply to impact)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Making Diplomacy More Interesting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI