Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Z key

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Z key Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Z key - 3/23/2010 10:50:48 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

I thought Swordfish were stringbags.....

Much as "Netties" are Nells and Betties with similar performance envelopes and mission profiles, I believe that the vernacular "stringbags" refers to both Swordfish and Vildebeest aircraft in the same derivative category.

Indeed old boy. It's just that the Swordfish is more widely known so is generally thought of as THE Stringbag.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 481
RE: The Z key - 3/23/2010 10:52:25 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Today:

Allied aircraft
Vildebeest III x 9

Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest III: 1 destroyed, 8 damaged

Japanese Ships
xAK Ikushima Maru
xAK Johore Maru
xAK Tatuwa Maru, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

and then:

Allied aircraft
Vildebeest III x 6

Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest III: 5 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Chokai
xAK Fushimi Maru, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

Wizard show Old Boy! Absolutely capital! Back in time for tea and tiffen eh? And then to the evenining dance to find a couple of popsies, a top drawer time for all.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 482
33 1/3 - 3/24/2010 12:00:41 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Today:

Allied aircraft
Vildebeest III x 9

Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest III: 1 destroyed, 8 damaged

Japanese Ships
xAK Ikushima Maru
xAK Johore Maru
xAK Tatuwa Maru, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

and then:

Allied aircraft
Vildebeest III x 6

Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest III: 5 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Chokai
xAK Fushimi Maru, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk

That really is damned impressive. 15 sorties..1 plane lost, 5 torpedo hits (33%). 5-10 more days like that and we will pay them back for the Sydney raid.

Somebody, however, needs to tell the lads to stop ganging up on already sinking ships and spread the damage around.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 483
RE: 33 1/3 - 3/26/2010 4:52:01 PM   
BrucePowers

The ones that are burning are easier to see

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 484
Accounting - 3/28/2010 1:02:08 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Air losses through the end of January (Mayan calender)

Clearly there aren't too many spare P40E's lying about. Most of these losses are from the Pearl harbor raid and the fight over Luzon.

Another observation: Brewsters are sort of cool looking (in a flying coffee can sort of way) but there are a hazard to troops on the ground due to a habit of falling upredictably in great balls of fire.

The Nell is fragile, apparently due to the innovative, but unsuccessful, self-aerosolizing gas tank.

Most of the Bettys are lost to operational causes as are a goodly number of zeroes.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/28/2010 1:08:59 AM >

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 485
This here is your smoothbore Napolean... - 3/28/2010 1:35:31 AM   
Cap Mandrake

..which, when combined with grapeshot can be quite lethal....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 486
Bin...what? - 3/28/2010 5:06:54 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*****KNIL "HQ", Bintan Island, South China Sea, 45m SE of Singapore, January 29, 1942******

Lt. Col. Renner, KNIL, came from a long line of military men. There was a family tradition to uphold. That is why it hurt so much to be posted to an island of little military significance in charge of an engineering detachement of only 15 men and one ancient RNZAF Singapore III float plane. A Colonel...15 men and a broken down heap of bolts. Maybe if they had an airplane mechanic or something or some spare parts or a vehicle or even a Radio Flyer wagon to carry the heavy stuff. Nothing...absolutely nothing, save for half a dozen spanners, a breaker bar and a case of ball peen hammers. Oh, the shame.

Sure, there was the dust up when he was found half naked with the local Sultan's daughter, but that was 8 months ago. Can't a guy make a mistake? All 15 men of the unit have been assembled. He is determined to make his mark. If it is not to be in battle, then he will leave a mark on the business world. He steps to the podium.

"Men, thank you all for coming. I would like to talk to you all today about an exciting step toward financial independence....multi-level marketing......"

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/28/2010 5:09:29 PM >

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 487
Silhouettes - 3/28/2010 5:21:03 PM   
Cap Mandrake

OK...can someone explain to me why different Buffalo I squadrons have different silhouettes on the "game pieces"? Even RAF squadrons have different silhouetttes. I can see it for a dedicated recon unit, I suppose, although I don't think the airframe was different.

I suppose it seems like I am desperately waiting for a turn and that I have no life, but that would be a misperception on your part.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/28/2010 5:23:52 PM >

Post #: 488
Allies - 3/28/2010 6:24:10 PM   
Cap Mandrake

There is nothing quite like a mortal threat to unite people who can barely tolerate each other under other circumstances. I might be talking about Churchill and Stalin or Chiang Kai-shek and Stilwell or de Gaulle and just about any other sentient human being....but I am not. I am talking about my neighbors, Christians, Jews, Budhists, Hindus, conservatives, Obama voters <shudder>...even my neighbor who built his $10,000 mailbox on my side of the property line and thinks the LA Times is too conservative can be united under the proper circumstance. The circumstance is, in this case, to combat a common peril to our liberty, to our American way of life, the HOA.

The street has 20 homes but they are well spread out. All the traffic has to go out one way, which is not too bad as there are less than 60 residents, perhaps even 50 or less. So far so good. Unfortunately, a developer bought a home at the top of the street on about 7 acres and wants to subdivide into 8 lots.

Naturally, this isn't very popular with the rest of the street. The developer has to get approval from the County which has declined to act until the HOA took a stand. The HOA Board of Directors were advised to act like spineless jellyfish by their equally spineless attorney, who is also covered in slime, did I mention that? See..it's like this, the developer's attorney is also without spine but at least has an exoskeleton so he scared the HOA's attorney and long story short....the HOA BOD approved the plan in a secret contract without formal input form the other residents on the street.

Now we are fighting mad so we cook up an idea. The left turn at the end of the street is dangerous because of line of sight issues and oncoming traffic. We advance the argument the situation will be more dangerous with 50% more homes. The BOD hires a a traffic engineer to study the issue. Now, we are feeling our oats. We got them now. High fives all around. They invite us to the board meeting to discuss the decision. We all go. They bring their attorney. We bring ours. These guys are being paid by the hour so they are arguing about Robert's Rules of Order during the meeting. I am not kidding.

Anyway, last agenda item...the decision of the board on the dangerous left turn. We all lean forward, "The traffice engineer has...blah, blah, blah...determined that...blah, blah, blah....is indeed a dangerous left turn due to topography and blah, blah blah." WE WON! High fives all aorund. The BOD spokesperson continues, "The Board of Directors has therefore determined, in the interests of safety, to....<pause for dramtic effect> make this intersection a right turn only intersection."

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/28/2010 6:28:01 PM >

Post #: 489
RE: Allies - 3/28/2010 6:34:12 PM   
Alfred

Cap Mandrake,

Back in the days of WITP II(b), wasn't there a certain Frau Braun who interfered with your life? Could she not be introduced to the developer? Alternatively, how about that Mayan hosekeeper of yours making some more midnight calls to the developer's wife?

Alfred

Post #: 490
RE: Allies - 3/28/2010 7:19:26 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Cap Mandrake,

Back in the days of WITP II(b), wasn't there a certain Frau Braun who interfered with your life? Could she not be introduced to the developer?

Sound idea, but the HOA attorney's name is Brown. I think he is related to Frau Braun somehow.

quote:

Alternatively, how about that Mayan hosekeeper of yours making some more midnight calls to the developer's wife?

Alfred

If she were Samoan that might work but she is about 4ft 8 in ht. and about 2ft 4 in diameter. Plus she doesnt speak any
English (she calls "bagles", "Bay-gohs"). Now if the developer has a Mayan wife or is in possesion of some stolen artifacts or something, then it might work.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/28/2010 7:20:31 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 491
RE: Allies - 3/28/2010 7:43:51 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

"The Board of Directors has therefore determined, in the interests of safety, to....<pause for dramtic effect> make this intersection a right turn only intersection."

Sounds like you have grounds to sue for them neglecting their fiduciary obligations to act in the benefit of the homeowners in favor of benefit to someone else. (I am not a lawyer, so you'll have to add slime.) Have your present lawyer (or a better one) send them a threatening letter about suing the HOA and each member of the board who voted for that as individuals.

It's not about what legal theory will win. They decided to avoid pain by siding with the 3rd party developer. Convince them that more pain lies in siding against you.

Their decision is going to devalue your property, increase your travel time to and from home (reducing quality of life), and cause global warming that will flood Al Gore's waterfront condo.

Post #: 492
RE: Allies - 3/28/2010 8:33:33 PM   
princep01

Signed in with the ever popular EFATOM. What is this.....an atom found only in the European Foundation of Atomic structures and physic journals? Why is EFATOM important enough to warrant such high notority?

Anyway....as to the HOA Nazis and their reptilan scribes, proctors, lawyers and other thieves; I'd saw this. An infestation of crabgrass and Johnson grass on 8 neighborhood lots would serve as a excellent lesson. An unfortunate outbreak of the same said infestation at the home of the ChairLizard of the Home Owner's Association of Snoops, Commissars and other officious undesirables would also serve as an appropriate warning of the devastation to come.

Silently placed, untraceable, intractable, ugly, unkillable weeds always strike unmitigated terror into the hearts of all suburbia.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 493
RE: Allies - 3/28/2010 8:54:54 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

Silently placed, untraceable, intractable, ugly, unkillable weeds always strike unmitigated terror into the hearts of all suburia

Unless you live in Florida or Houston where they call it "blanket" or St. Augustine grass.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 494
Blue Rock Clay Pigeons - 3/29/2010 6:56:24 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Anybody else wonder what the deal is on the A-24's which show up in Oz In Jan. 41 in AE?

quote:

The U.S. Army Air Forces sent 52 A-24 Banshees in crates to the Philippine Islands in fall 1941 to equip the 27th Bombardment Group, whose personnel arrived separately. However with the attack of Pearl Harbor, these aircraft were diverted to Australia and the 27th BG fought on Bataan as infantry. While in Australia, these aircraft were reassembled for flight to the Philippines, but missing parts including solenoids, trigger motors, and gun mounts delayed shipment. Plagued with mechanical problems the A-24s were diverted to the 91st Bombardment Squadron and designated for assignment to Java instead. The A-24s had worn-out engines, no armor plating, and no self sealing fuel tanks. Referring to themselves as "Blue Rock Clay Pigeons", the 91st attacked the enemy harbor and airbase at Bali and damaged or sunk numerous ships around Java. After the Japanese shot down two A-24s and damaged three so badly they could no longer fly, the 91st received orders to evacuate Java in early March, ending a brief but valiant effort.

The Banshees left in Australia were assigned to the 8th Bombardment Squadron, 3rd Bombardment Group, to defend New Guinea. On 26 July 1942, seven A-24s attacked a convoy off Buna, but only one survived: the Japanese shot down five of them and damaged the sixth so badly that it did not make it back to base.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBD_Dauntless

In AE, they show with 35 experience pilots which really does make them "clay pigeons". I have a plan. I figure we can make one capable A-24 squadron from the pilots of the two Enterprise squadrons which are still in Northern Oz with only 4 SBD's between them and no replacment SBD's showing up in Oz.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 495
RE: Allies - 3/29/2010 6:58:27 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

Signed in with the ever popular EFATOM. What is this.....an atom found only in the European Foundation of Atomic structures and physic journals? Why is EFATOM important enough to warrant such high notority?

Anyway....as to the HOA Nazis and their reptilan scribes, proctors, lawyers and other thieves; I'd saw this. An infestation of crabgrass and Johnson grass on 8 neighborhood lots would serve as a excellent lesson. An unfortunate outbreak of the same said infestation at the home of the ChairLizard of the Home Owner's Association of Snoops, Commissars and other officious undesirables would also serve as an appropriate warning of the devastation to come.

Silently placed, untraceable, intractable, ugly, unkillable weeds always strike unmitigated terror into the hearts of all suburbia.

Operation Show Them Our Johnsons has been approved. You are a future unindicted co-conspirator.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/29/2010 7:03:07 PM >

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 496
RE: Blue Rock Clay Pigeons - 3/29/2010 7:08:11 PM   
Grollub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Anybody else wonder what the deal is on the A-24's which show up in Oz In Jan. 41 in AE?

quote:

The U.S. Army Air Forces sent 52 A-24 Banshees in crates to the Philippine Islands in fall 1941 to equip the 27th Bombardment Group, whose personnel arrived separately. However with the attack of Pearl Harbor, these aircraft were diverted to Australia and the 27th BG fought on Bataan as infantry. While in Australia, these aircraft were reassembled for flight to the Philippines, but missing parts including solenoids, trigger motors, and gun mounts delayed shipment. Plagued with mechanical problems the A-24s were diverted to the 91st Bombardment Squadron and designated for assignment to Java instead. The A-24s had worn-out engines, no armor plating, and no self sealing fuel tanks. Referring to themselves as "Blue Rock Clay Pigeons", the 91st attacked the enemy harbor and airbase at Bali and damaged or sunk numerous ships around Java. After the Japanese shot down two A-24s and damaged three so badly they could no longer fly, the 91st received orders to evacuate Java in early March, ending a brief but valiant effort.

The Banshees left in Australia were assigned to the 8th Bombardment Squadron, 3rd Bombardment Group, to defend New Guinea. On 26 July 1942, seven A-24s attacked a convoy off Buna, but only one survived: the Japanese shot down five of them and damaged the sixth so badly that it did not make it back to base.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBD_Dauntless

In AE, they show with 35 experience pilots which really does make them "clay pigeons". I have a plan. I figure we can make one capable A-24 squadron from the pilots of the two Enterprise squadrons which are still in Northern Oz with only 4 SBD's between them and no replacment SBD's showing up in Oz.

Sorry if I puncture your balloon, but those Banshee sqn's will only accept army pilots ... :-/

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

Post #: 497
Empathy - 3/29/2010 7:18:43 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Why there are no SBD's in the replacement pool.

Douglas plant, El Segundo.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 498
RE: Blue Rock Clay Pigeons - 3/29/2010 7:20:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

Sorry if I puncture your balloon, but those Banshee sqn's will only accept army pilots ... :-/

Oh, bloody Hell!

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 499
RE: Blue Rock Clay Pigeons - 3/29/2010 7:30:40 PM   
Cap Mandrake

********Douglas SBD assembly line, El Segundo, Calif., Januray 29, 1942********

Supervisor: Why the Hell do we have only two guys working on engine fittings for 16 aircraft?

Union Thug: The rest are on a coffee break. 20 minutes every 2 hrs per contract.

Supervisor: Holy Hell, there is a war on. Haven't you guys heard? Do you realize in stock WITP we might have 800-900 SBD airframes in inventory by now?

Post #: 500
Hat au poivre - 3/29/2010 9:35:24 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**********Office of the Air Marshall, London, Jnuary 29, 1942**********

Marshal of the Royal Air Force Charles Frederick Algernon Portal, 1st Viscount Portal of Hungerford KG GCB OM DSO & Bar MC: <knock at the door> ENTER! <a man in chef's hat enters the room with a dining tray> Good Lord, smells delicious. What is it Reginald?

Reginald: Hat au poivre, sir. Do you recall when you said you would eat your hat if a Buffalo actually downed an enemy aircraft?

quote:

Morning Air attack on Korps Marechausee Battalion, at 46,76 (Medan)

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 16
Ki-43-Ia Oscar x 12

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 4 destroyed, 4 damaged

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 501
RE: Hat au poivre - 3/30/2010 12:12:06 PM   
sprior

Lord High Admiral Sprior, VD, SCAB, SCAR and Bar: Enjoy it Freddie, the boys got 4!

Meanwhile there have been zero, that is none, not Zero, planes over Singers. Gin Slings all round!

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 502
RE: Hat au poivre - 3/30/2010 8:32:39 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Lord High Admiral Sprior, VD, SCAB, SCAR and Bar,
CIC China, Burma, India, ABDA, Malya, Singapore, Addu Atol, Diego Garcia and Grand Sultan of Aden

My Dearest Sprior,

I am sure you have noticed that Johnny Jap is on the move again in the Lesser and Medium Sized Sundas.
It appears a carrier force (likely Kaga and one CVL) is in the van with a heavy surface force in support. They might be headed to Makassar to support unloading of support troops but could equally be headed for Timor or Ambon or even Darwin. Accordingly, I have directed the USN Wildcats and SBD's at Ambon back to Darwin and another squadron of B-17's to be transfered from Charter Towers. Two squadrons of P-39's should be arriving at Alice Springs by train in a day or two.

Warmly,

Cap Mandrake, CIC of everything East of Pitcarin Island, Founding Member, Pitcarin Gheko Protection Society

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 503
Banshees - 3/31/2010 6:35:47 AM   
Cap Mandrake

I am now able to confirm that young Grollub was right.

It is not possible to assign Navy or Marine SBD pilots to USAAF A-24 squadrons even thought the plane is nearly identical.

Instead I moved some B-26 pilots from Hoboken, New Hersey that had been practicing dive bombing.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 504
RE: Banshees - 3/31/2010 8:19:33 AM   
witpqs

I used to live there. They shoulda practiced more.

Post #: 505
RE: Banshees - 3/31/2010 8:12:36 PM   
sprior

Having been trained on the playing fields of Eton we have decided to follow the Iron Dukes advice:

Blackadder: Tell me, do you ever stop bullying and shouting at the lower orders?
Duke of Wellington: NEVER! There's only one way to win a campaign; shout, shout and shout again!

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 506
RE: Banshees - 3/31/2010 9:03:59 PM   
Mynok

That's the English way. The French way is to hurl insults and fart in your general direction. The American way is to call in more artillery.

It will be interesting to see which works best in AE!

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 507
RE: Banshees - 3/31/2010 10:01:05 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

That's the English way. The French way is to hurl insults and fart in your general direction. The American way is to call in more artillery.

Well, certainly not American (or any other nationality) artillery. We've seen what patch III did to the usefullness of that.

Shouting sounds to be the order of the day. Right, then:

HEY CAP'N! WHAT THE BLEEDIN' **** ARE YA WAITING FOR? KILL JAPS, KILL JAPS AND KILL MORE JAPS.
[credit to Halsey for instructive discourse on the matter]

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 508
RE: Banshees - 3/31/2010 10:06:24 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

and i suppose the Dutch have "a smoke and a pancake"?

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 509
RE: Banshees - 3/31/2010 11:21:50 PM   
Smeulders

Nah, the Dutch just pass the joint and even the most fanatical enemy starts wearing a rainbow headband and talking about peace for a all living creatures.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Z key Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI