Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I hesitate because.......

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: I hesitate because....... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/1/2010 8:45:09 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: DiggyDad

I just noticed another weird occurrence.  I had my fleet out destroying some pirates; when they finished the job I told them to 'refuel at nearest' as gas was getting low. The fleet captain must have been panicked about the situation because he decided to go to a neighboring empires' star base to do it.  Needless to say my neighbors weren't pleased.  I think we need to change the AI on this one.  Fleets should only go to our own bases or to neighbors were we have a mutual agreement, if there is such a thing.  It was weird though; even though my neighbor didn't like them there, he still refueled my ships.:)    

Yes and I have seen this and presume it is a bug so post it on the tech forum.

(in reply to DiggyDad)
Post #: 31
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/1/2010 8:48:08 PM   
licker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: licker
Though is there a game you feel has an AI which provides 'plenty of challenge' after you've learned the game?

I would say that if I loose just because I dont know how to play the game aka build ships or colonize planets then the AI is not challenging. If I know how to play the game but still loose because my strategy in the game is not good enough yet then the AI is challenging.

How challenging the game is depends on how long it takes to discover good strategies against the AI. I would say 30-40 hours is pretty good if the game costs only 30€. Thats how I would define it.

That's a good way to look at it.

My immediate concern with DW is that the automation makes some really poor decisions. As a human (I assume you are human anyway ) you can step in and override the decisions, but the poor AIs are stuck with bad ship designs or other sub optimal considerations. That assumes that the automation you see is the same for the AI.

I can say that even in my 1st game I was easily able to out colonize the AI, meaning that I would have a bigger economy to go to war with them when that time came. Since that 1st game I've not seen any of the AIs I've met have empires within 50% of my size after a couple hours of playing the game.

Now it's still a smallish sample size, but it's somewhat worrying to me.

Anyway, we all expect there to be plenty of content updates over the next several months, so hopefully some of the issues you have seen elsewhere, as well as improvements to the AI will be forthcoming and the game will be what people hope it will be.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 32
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/1/2010 9:29:16 PM   
HsojVvad

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

quote:

I just noticed another weird occurrence.  I had my fleet out destroying some pirates; when they finished the job I told them to 'refuel at nearest' as gas was getting low. The fleet captain must have been panicked about the situation because he decided to go to a neighboring empires' star base to do it.  Needless to say my neighbors weren't pleased.  I think we need to change the AI on this one.  Fleets should only go to our own bases or to neighbors were we have a mutual agreement, if there is such a thing.  It was weird though; even though my neighbor didn't like them there, he still refueled my ships.:)    

Wow. Are you a wana be Mod or something? Maybe you don't intend it, but your writing style seems harsh and makes you look beligerant. I almost want to say we are not as smart as you so give us a break. I don't think you intend to do this, but ease up on us. The person was just trying to say something, and you telling him to post in the the tch forum seems so rude. Ease up a little. This is a complex game and we can't know everything.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 33
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/1/2010 9:38:01 PM   
PDiFolco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

I'm loving it and each game I play I take more and more stuff away from automation and am really getting into the nuts and bolts.

My latest game I've gone to town on ship design. Left that up to the AI before mostly. The default designs are horrible, you can optimize those.

I'm also getting the hang of fleets. You have to babysit those to get 'em right, the fleet automation is bad. 

So far as refueling goes, I've solved that issue to my own satisfation by designing ships with more fuel capacity. Like 1.5-2 times more than the default designs. That's more than enough for deep strikes into enemy territory. I also am a fanatic about putting spaceports everywhere, including my frontier worlds and have a cheap port design to support fleet strikes as a fuel point. They don't need to be expensive ports with all the bells and whistles of your homeworld.

I completely agree ! Designing own ships gives you better ones, cheaper, alleviate the fuel issues, and allow proper upgrading.
Did you try some "unusual" designs to share ?

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 34
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/1/2010 10:18:39 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Davor

quote:

quote:

Wow. Are you a wana be Mod or something? Maybe you don't intend it, but your writing style seems harsh and makes you look beligerant. I almost want to say we are not as smart as you so give us a break. I don't think you intend to do this, but ease up on us. The person was just trying to say something, and you telling him to post in the the tch forum seems so rude. Ease up a little. This is a complex game and we can't know everything.

What? I said it was a bug and to report it.Chill out.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 35
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/1/2010 10:51:08 PM   
HsojVvad

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What? I said it was a bug and to report it.Chill out.

Maybe I read it wrong, but from reading your other posts, it seemed beligerent enough. Sorry if I misread it. But as I said before, your other posts in other threads is where you need to chill out.

Again, sorry if I misread it here. I appoligize.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 36
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/1/2010 11:54:07 PM   
HsojVvad

quote:

I think I may have found a bonafide bug.  I have a mining station in the middle of a system not on a planet,  I can't scrap him because it is civilian.  Bugger is sure sucking up money though for maintenance.  How do I correct this?

Once you build a mining station they can't be removed that I know of. If you want to get rid of a mining station, just open up the editor, and use the eraser to remove or erase the mine. I don't consider it cheating, since you can decomission ships, you should be able to get rid of mining stations as well.

Try that.

(in reply to DiggyDad)
Post #: 37
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/2/2010 12:37:23 AM   
JosEPhII

I've come to ignore those "warnings" that other Empires give when this occurs. The ships refuel and then move out of the system, so it's just "AI squawk" to me now.

Seems to be plenty of this in the game. I've started to turn off some of the Pop up warnings. They become a Huge distraction and are Not worth the attention they "demand".

The Advisors can be become tiresome too. And at first you think they have so good suggestions. But when they continually want to to "Impose Trade Sanctions" or "Declare War" on an Empire that you are generating 15% or more of your Trade Income off of, they become an irritation. And a Detriment to your Reputation! Just go ahead and do all their "Suggestions" and see how soon you begin to have colony problems with rebellions and Empire Swapping. And your Rep goes from Admired to Nasty in no time.

JosEPh

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

(in reply to DiggyDad)
Post #: 38
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/2/2010 1:07:31 AM   
autarkis1967

On the base thing might try giving it away to a pirate or something then destroying it. Haven't tried this but I have given bases away.Didn't think the private sector made bases though. How would they do it without construction ships?

(in reply to DiggyDad)
Post #: 39
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/2/2010 3:26:55 AM   
DiggyDad

quote:

quote:

I think I may have found a bonafide bug.  I have a mining station in the middle of a system not on a planet,  I can't scrap him because it is civilian.  Bugger is sure sucking up money though for maintenance.  How do I correct this?

Once you build a mining station they can't be removed that I know of. If you want to get rid of a mining station, just open up the editor, and use the eraser to remove or erase the mine. I don't consider it cheating, since you can decomission ships, you should be able to get rid of mining stations as well.

Try that.

Excellent idea, thanks.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 40
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/2/2010 4:02:24 AM   
ductape

quote:

ORIGINAL: licker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

Is the AI any good? Does it provide plenty of challenge even after you have learned to play the game?

The answer is 'it depends', but generally the answer will probably be 'no'. Of course there are lots of different ways you can set up your games to give yourself additional challenges, though that kind of a challenge is somewhat different in nature from the AI being challenging in and of itself.

Though is there a game you feel has an AI which provides 'plenty of challenge' after you've learned the game?

AI War: Fleet Command
http://www.arcengames.com/aiwar_features.php

amazing AI, massive fleets, like MASSIVE. thousands of ships. It IS an RTS, but a pretty nice one. Not like Distant Worlds at all, but if you like space games i can recommend this game too.

< Message edited by ductape -- 4/2/2010 4:13:28 AM >

(in reply to licker)
Post #: 41
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/2/2010 10:15:54 AM   
Gertjan

I agree with those that said that AI ship design automation needs some improvement. I hope that's also on the list!

(in reply to ductape)
Post #: 42
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/2/2010 8:19:56 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: ductape
AI War: Fleet Command
http://www.arcengames.com/aiwar_features.php

amazing AI, massive fleets, like MASSIVE. thousands of ships. It IS an RTS, but a pretty nice one. Not like Distant Worlds at all, but if you like space games i can recommend this game too.

So far I have skipped AI:War because I dont like RTS games that have tons of units. However I put the demo to install from steam just to see how it feels.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to ductape)
Post #: 43
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/2/2010 9:33:18 PM   
Gertjan

But why do you like DW then, it also has tons of units ;)

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 44
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/2/2010 9:37:14 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

But why do you like DW then, it also has tons of units ;)

I thought many of them like civillian units were automated. But if the games combat consists of thousands of small combat ships that you have to control manually in real-time then Im not really not interested.

The difference usually comes in how you handle the units in the game. Total war has thousands of units too in realtime but the units are divided to max 20 standard-sized groups.

If distant world has tons of ships I would prefer i.e
to build and manage squadrons of ships not individual ships.

And thats the first problem I have with i.e AI:war. Click one time build one ship. I have to click thousands of times of build thousands of ship. This is not how I want to manage a strategy game of this scope. I want more meaningful gameplay.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 4/2/2010 9:51:32 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 45
RE: I hesitate because....... - 4/2/2010 9:42:12 PM   
JarlFrank

It doesn't really feel like an RTS, maybe like one of the Paradox games because you will often make use of the pause button, and gameplay isn't hectic like in Warcraft.

(in reply to DiggyDad)
Post #: 46
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: I hesitate because....... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI