Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

English in Europe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> English in Europe Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
English in Europe - 4/3/2010 6:46:26 AM   
ilovestrategy

I've noticed that a large number of players in these forums are in various parts of Europe but are perfect in English. I always thought that English was only in Great Britain. Am I wrong in assuming that? Not trying to be a wise guy, I'm genuinely curious.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Post #: 1
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 7:01:11 AM   
junk2drive

This is the first forum that I ever posted in, many years ago. I came from AOL chat and IMs. I did not capitalise proper names or use much punctuation. Soon I was chastised by non native English speakers. A for being lazy and B for making it difficult for them to figure out what I was trying to say. That was back before translators. I gave in slowly but also noticed that the non English speakers had much better skill at composition and syntax that it raised the bar for me. Now I not only try to post properly but am sometimes cautious to phrase things for people that might be using a translator.

I am appalled at the posts from people in the UK.

To answer your question, outside of the USA, most countries require students to learn two or more foreign languages.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 2
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 7:05:23 AM   
Grymme

In most (if not all) of Europe students study english in school. In Sweden for example we study it from the time we are ten years old (i think, maybe twelve). Then we study it for at least eight years. Then all foreign movies and tv are subtexted. We also read a lot of books, magazines etc. Also when we travel abroad, which most swedish families do at least once a year, we get to practice our english.

Many swedes also have some knowledge of a third language (generally french, german or spanish).

I am not very good at writing english but i still think that my knowledge of the language is better than many illiterate natural born americans (who appear frequently on Ricky Lake or Jerry Springer)

< Message edited by Grymme -- 4/3/2010 7:06:08 AM >

My Advanced Tactics Mod page
http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com

30+ scenarios, maps and mods for AT and AT:G

Post #: 3
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 7:07:59 AM   
billyjj

They require a foreign language in most US schools, it is treated as a novelty and not even the teacher really expects you to actually learn French. In Europe they take studying a lot more seriously than in the US, and they don't have forced busing and integration to make life a living hell for the students that actually want to learn.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 4
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 7:47:35 AM   
Zakhal

English is my best foreign language and I somtimes think in english even. But problem in europe is not english but the fact that germans want to speak german, french want to speak french, italians want to speak italian, etc. Because of this english alone isnt always enough. Ive met som germans that are very nutty about their language. I just wish everyone could have atleast one common language. As a citizen of minor country I speak finnish, swedish, english and german but even that doesnt seem to be enough at times. The big non-english countries in europe somtimes seem a bit uppity from my point-of-view. I mean I can forgive russians for having problems with english but germans? Not.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 4/3/2010 7:51:11 AM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 5
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 8:07:01 AM   
Obsolete

When it comes to people having problems with English, I would have to guess the people in Quebec are the most uptight about it.  Many of them still never forgave the Brits for winning that siege a few hundred years ago or so :P  And many still feel anything to do with English is a threat to their culture.  It wasn't that long ago that just posting a sign in English would get you arrested (no joke).  There are still places there that may still abide by that code (not sure now).  Anyone know what the current situation is over there?  

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 6
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 8:45:33 AM   
ilovestrategy

I learned a lot just from these posts. Thanks guys! 

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 7
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 11:18:14 AM   
wilecki

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grymme

In most (if not all) of Europe students study english in school. In Sweden for example we study it from the time we are ten years old (i think, maybe twelve). Then we study it for at least eight years. Then all foreign movies and tv are subtexted. We also read a lot of books, magazines etc. Also when we travel abroad, which most swedish families do at least once a year, we get to practice our english.

It is exactly the same almost in the whole Europe. It makes traveling and moving around Europe very easy. Two years ago I moved to the Netherlands (originally I come from Poland) and I've decided to stay. Currently I'm trying to learn Dutch and speak a lot with the natives but the moment they hear something wrong with my accent or anything they automatically switch to English not allowing me to practice ;P

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 8
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 11:41:50 AM   
Terminus

I think it depends on the country. In Denmark, you learn English from the 4th Grade, German from about the 5th or 6th, and French, Spanish, Russian etc in high school.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 9
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 11:46:04 AM   
joeblack1862

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive
I am appalled at the posts from people in the UK.

I'll bite. I am from the UK. I am guessing you didn't mean it the way it came out but I still have a point to make.

I had the pleasure to learn French at school, Russian as a basic translator (sadly lost most of the skill now and just about recognise the words and a few sentences through lack of use) and Dutch at university. Does that make me unusual in my population? No, it doesn't. My daughter at 14 who is studying French is classed as equivelant to an 18 - 20 year old French speaker and writer. She went on a trip to France recently and was appalled by the poor grammar of most native French students.

A lot of the Russians I dealt with were barely able to use the correct grammar when speaking or writing there own language.

The Dutch were incredibly annoying (in a nice way) in that they always wanted to use English to improve so they hindered my attempts to learn Dutch
A lot of the Dutch didn't know Dutch grammar.

I think you will find many fine English speakers and writers in the UK and many of them are also capable with foreign languages. I think you can find appalling grammar in many native speakers of any country.

Go visit The Liverpool Way for an incredible mix. Many of the English posters speak one other foreign language and they are constantly correcting grammar (I kid you not). They also ban text speak. This is an English Football supporters forum as well... with many Spanish, Indian, American. I remember what happened to one poster who generalised about another race....

What stereotpyes we like to create. What generalisations we like to promote of others :-)

I am sure some of you will now correct my appalling grammar

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 10
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 12:29:31 PM   
Phatguy

A LOT of native born English(USA version) speakers are horrid when it comes to the language. When I do work(not often due to medical reasons and the need not to) I deal with children. Four out of five do not wish to  or just can't grasp basic language principles. Basically, here in Buffalo, if you want to hear the correct way to pronounce something, find someone who has English as a second lanuage.Which is sad really.....

(in reply to joeblack1862)
Post #: 11
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 12:46:42 PM   
Karri

Now that I think of it, I probaply write better english than finnish.

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 12
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 1:26:16 PM   
joeblack1862

quote:

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

A LOT of native born English(USA version) speakers are horrid when it comes to the language. When I do work(not often due to medical reasons and the need not to) I deal with children. Four out of five do not wish to  or just can't grasp basic language principles. Basically, here in Buffalo, if you want to hear the correct way to pronounce something, find someone who has English as a second lanuage.Which is sad really.....

Good for you. Now go to there native country and try the same test... You see, when you "know" a language at birth, you get lazy and pick up bad habits before you get to school. You also may have no love of studying the language.

When you have to learn it as a second language, you have no choice but to understand the grammar as that is the way you are taught the language (this is from personal experience, I actually learnt English grammar because of I studied Russian and our tutor insisted we do this to better deal with the Russiian grammar. I love my native language as do many native students of English (whichever brand) and we know our grammar, like

That is the beauty of most languages, when you enjoy using them they allow you to be more creative with the grammar as well. English is often used incorrectly by some of the best authors intentionally. There is a poem by Keats (La Belle Dame sans merci) if you read for correct form and grammar then you will claim the poet is poor at his own language. If you read it as to the reasons for the form you will understand what an incredible use of the language it is.

That is sometimes the disadvantage of having English as a second language, you maybe forget it is a growing, very flexible language. Read English from the time of Chaucer and you can see this.

Anyway, I don't dispute your experience, I am sure there are many native speakers who mangle a good prose. And long may it continue...

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 13
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 1:27:19 PM   
joeblack1862

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

Now that I think of it, I probaply write better english than finnish.

I rest my case

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 14
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 1:29:23 PM   
DampSquib

[quote:
Original: Joe Black
Go visit The Liverpool Way for an incredible mix. ]

Made me remember this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBYlXfjKru4
just a bit...

Post #: 15
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 1:42:16 PM   
Vasquez

If you are from germany and love wargames you have to speak english. Otherwise you are screwed

(in reply to DampSquib)
Post #: 16
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 2:24:42 PM   
junk2drive

Joe Black, yes I used a broad brush. What I have noticed is that when I see a poorly done post, too many times the poster lists UK as his/her location. Us 'Mericuns and other colonies colonys coloneez have an excuse.

My other beef is the misuse of there their they're your you're to too two as noted above
quote:

Now go to there native country and try the same test...

I make mistakes too and try to edit my posts before I am caught. I also use our as in colour, s for z as in minimise and with Firefox spellcheck this is wrong. I had to use spellcheck.com for appalled in my original post.

I took three years of Castilian Spanish in high school. Never used it and lost it. When I moved to L.A. years later. I found the locals speak a strange version of Spanglish.

< Message edited by junk2drive -- 4/3/2010 2:25:12 PM >

(in reply to Vasquez)
Post #: 17
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 2:49:19 PM   
Nebogipfel

Same here Vasquez,

must have been years ago, I´ve seen  a game manual written in german language.

I didn´t care about my english language for many years. As I got back to wargaming, I recognized, that it is important for me, to improve my english skills. The use of the english language for example here at matrix, is far better than in any playstation forum I´ve been so long.

So meanwhile I care about words I don´t know and use a translator. Sometimes I think, it would be nice if someone would correct me , if I´m wrong.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 18
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 3:02:15 PM   
junk2drive

There is a group of German game modders, DMP, that you might visit. I think they convert English manuals to German.
I use a plugin for Firefox, gtranslate, to translate their forum posts. This is their Operation Barbarossa forum

Design Mod Project • View forum - Operation Barbarossa

For English forums, capitalize the first letter of your sentence, and proper names like English.

(in reply to Nebogipfel)
Post #: 19
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 3:13:16 PM   
Nebogipfel

Thanks junk2drive,
I´ll try it.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 20
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 3:21:27 PM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

English is my best foreign language and I somtimes think in english even. But problem in europe is not english but the fact that germans want to speak german, french want to speak french, italians want to speak italian, etc. Because of this english alone isnt always enough. Ive met som germans that are very nutty about their language. I just wish everyone could have atleast one common language. As a citizen of minor country I speak finnish, swedish, english and german but even that doesnt seem to be enough at times. The big non-english countries in europe somtimes seem a bit uppity from my point-of-view. I mean I can forgive russians for having problems with english but germans? Not.

We're just lazy. Germany is a large market for entertainment products and almost everything get localized here. Also there is still a difference between reading comprehension, something you learn by playing games or reading websites, and actually speaking a language. Albeit I can talk English, at least to a certain degree, I usually prefer to chat in German - for convenience.

< Message edited by Lützow -- 4/3/2010 3:23:21 PM >

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 21
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 3:31:39 PM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

I've noticed that a large number of players in these forums are in various parts of Europe but are perfect in English. I always thought that English was only in Great Britain. Am I wrong in assuming that? Not trying to be a wise guy, I'm genuinely curious.

Learning English is mandatory in Germany (5th - 10th grade, kids can leave after 10 years of school). If kids opt for a college-preparatory education, where they then would graduate after 13 years (reduced to 12 years now), they have to take English classes until 12th grade, their cert of having passed the "Abitur" (German university entrance qualification) won't be accepted as cert for uni matriculation in some German states, otherwise. Scholars used to be allowed to drop English after 11th grade when there were 13 school years, but such cert was not accepted by some universities (by law, in some states).
Also, universities require an advanced or intermediate proficiency in Latin for some subjects (eg. medical science).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vasquez

If you are from germany and love wargames you have to speak english. Otherwise you are screwed

True. Matrix would have a bigger customer base if they'd be able to provide translations (manual, GUI) for all their products. Many Germans (who don't need English for their jobs or who don't get to practice speaking it every day), have a rather bad command of English, so that some explanations in English manuals are beyond their grasp. And I guess quite some are too lazy to employ translation tools. Still, if you get to a German town, and say you'd ask for directions or help, many people (and not just youngsters) will try their best to reactivate their English and help.
That may be different in France, or say Italy.

When I was around 14, I went to France for a student exchance (like 1 week), and I was pretty surprised that most people in the host family did not manage to form more than one or 2 English sentences. The only person with an acceptable English level was the father, who could even speak some German, as he had worked as a cook in Germany, for a few years. So we kept switching from English to German, it was pretty funny. But that was a rare exception.
My mother participates in an exchange program her hometown set up a few years ago, where French and German families become hosts alternately, like 1 or 2 times a year. Around 1 year ago, she had a French guest, a female student of chemistry, who did not understand more than "yes" and "no". My mother saw it as an opportunity to improve her French, while she offered the student to learn some German (well, fair enough), but since I am used to switch to English, in cases where I don't get far with other languages (I studied French for 4 years, but forgot most of it, even though I can read French and Spanish sources to some extent), this was rather a strange experience.
It took some 20 minutes to "squeeze" small bits of infos (like what university she was going to and what major she had picked, etc.) out of her, hehe, something you deal with (in English) within less than a minute, usually.

In my experience, this deals with political ambitions in France, namely the ambition to suppress anglicisms in French language and culture, coming from the French ministry of culture (with quite some administrations, during the last 20 years), which enhances such focus on their own language even more. I think that I am not generalizing, if I say that I suspect that it takes the average "Joe" (in France) quite some effort to get to a decent level of English, and quite some of the French seem to think it's not needed anyways.
The French school system may have changed now, with all the regulations and laws being employed by the European Union nowadays, but in France the English language was treated like a poor cousin, for decades. Same with countries in Eastern Europe, mostly for political reasons, not cultural reasons, though.

quote:

I mean I can forgive russians for having problems with english but germans? Not.

Well, you do quite some Germans wrong if you generalize like that.

If you get to East Germany, for example, you may find people from particular age groups rather employing some impressive Russian skills than English skills, as they had lived behind the "iron curtain", just like East European people who lived in states of the "Warsaw Pact". Visitors who come to Germany seem to forget that, or they may not think about. Also, it's not like East Germans just live in East Germany or in or around Berlin, as a massive number of East Germans relocated after the reunion. There are many counties in rural areas or areas close to the Polish border that are deserted.

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 4/3/2010 4:10:04 PM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

Post #: 22
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 4:20:48 PM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

quote:

......I mean I can forgive russians for having problems with english but germans? Not.

We're just lazy. Germany is a large market for entertainment products and almost everything get localized here. Also there is still a difference between reading comprehension, something you learn by playing games or reading websites, and actually speaking a language. Albeit I can talk English, at least to a certain degree, I usually prefer to chat in German - for convenience.

Well, not all Germans are lazy.
But you're right, if you say that there's a difference between actually being able to speak English (and pronouncing it correctly!) or just having to write it in forums or chat rooms ... as different as chalk and cheese. Some Germans get shy if it comes to speaking English, but that's just because of their lack of practice, and lack of opportunities to practice it. Plus, the "th" uses to break their tongues, too, hehe.

The Swedish habit to play original movies (English with swedish subtitles) is a great way to enhance a population's English skills. On the other hand, I don't know what that would do to their native language skills. AFAIK, even many university courses are held in English, over there.
Same with some Dutch colleges or universities.

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 4/3/2010 4:31:19 PM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 23
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 4:56:50 PM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodGuy

Well, not all Germans are lazy.
But you're right, if you say that there's a difference between actually being able to speak English (and pronouncing it correctly!) or just having to write it in forums or chat rooms ... as different as chalk and cheese. Some Germans get shy if it comes to speaking English, but that's just because of their lack of practice, and lack of opportunities to practice it.

That's me but I can get over it after a beer or two. And fortunally native English speakers are more forgiving against foreigners abusing their language.

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 24
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 5:05:12 PM   
Phatguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

Good for you. Now go to there native country and try the same test... You see, when you "know" a language at birth, you get lazy and pick up bad habits before you get to school. You also may have no love of studying the language.

When you have to learn it as a second language, you have no choice but to understand the grammar as that is the way you are taught the language (this is from personal experience, I actually learnt English grammar because of I studied Russian and our tutor insisted we do this to better deal with the Russiian grammar. I love my native language as do many native students of English (whichever brand) and we know our grammar, like

That is the beauty of most languages, when you enjoy using them they allow you to be more creative with the grammar as well. English is often used incorrectly by some of the best authors intentionally. There is a poem by Keats (La Belle Dame sans merci) if you read for correct form and grammar then you will claim the poet is poor at his own language. If you read it as to the reasons for the form you will understand what an incredible use of the language it is.

That is sometimes the disadvantage of having English as a second language, you maybe forget it is a growing, very flexible language. Read English from the time of Chaucer and you can see this.

Anyway, I don't dispute your experience, I am sure there are many native speakers who mangle a good prose. And long may it continue...

I had enough of Chaucer, Shakespeare and Marlowe in high school, thank you very much... And while you might be right, it still rankles me to see the English language mangled so heavily by lazy-ass types.

Post #: 25
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 5:12:59 PM   
jwarrenw13

quote:

ORIGINAL: billyjj

They require a foreign language in most US schools, it is treated as a novelty and not even the teacher really expects you to actually learn French. In Europe they take studying a lot more seriously than in the US.

Good assessment, at least the part I quoted. (I left out the rest because that's a different topic.) In Louisiana, for example, in the college preparatory curriculum, you must take two years of a foreign language at the high school level (roughly ages 14-18). Most schools offer Spanish. Mine offers Spanish and French but is discontinuing French due to budget cuts. However, students who take two years of Spanish or French can not really speak Spanish or French. They can simply translate a few words and read a little of the language. Students not in the college prep program are not required to take a foreign language.

On the other hand, before my last military tour in Germany in the mid 1980s, I had to take an intensive course in conversational German, and was thus able to speak enough German to get by in simple transactions. My wife took the course, too. I actually think we would do better in our schools if we taught our foreign languages as conversational courses rather than as foreign language grammar courses.

But one must remember on the other hand that most Americans will never leave America and will meet very few non-English speakers (except for the growing number of Mexican immigrants, legal and illegal).

< Message edited by JW -- 4/3/2010 5:14:03 PM >

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 26
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 6:08:48 PM   
joeblack1862

quote:

ORIGINAL: DampSquib

[quote:
Original: Joe Black
Go visit The Liverpool Way for an incredible mix. ]

Made me remember this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBYlXfjKru4
just a bit...

Okay, don't go there and stay on topic

(in reply to DampSquib)
Post #: 27
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 6:57:05 PM   
Greybriar

I wish my usage of languages foreign to me was half as good as the usage of my native English by most foreigners.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Post #: 28
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 10:11:50 PM   
Jeffrey H.

I've traveled all over the world and I can say from my own experience that English is almost universal, however you always need to try to communicate by other means. Some places I've gotten by with the simplest gestures and sounds.

I have to be honest though, the most rouble I've had with non English speaking people is here in the US. The rest of the world, I've gotten by. In the US, I sometimes want to scream at people.

It should be noted however that I've never travelled to France. Belgium yes, Germany Yes, Denmak Yes, Netherlands Yes, Italy Yes, blah blah blah. On and On.

Funny thing about German, I found it easy to understand if you don't try to read it and you just listen closely.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 29
RE: English in Europe - 4/3/2010 10:32:41 PM   
Doggie

I lived in Germany for eight years during the seventies and nearly everyone speaks at least some english. Typically girls more than boys. One reason is that foreign languages are offered in the schools, and english is the most usefull foreign language. None of the schools I went to, including college, offered any foreign laguage other than spanish.

Another reason is Americns think everything kewl comes from America. Speciffically America, not the U.K. or Canada. Germans asked me to tutor them on American English, and how to pronouce worde the American way. When it comes to fast food, movies, music, clothes, books, and especially soldiers, if it's American, it rocks. European girls love American G.I.s They can't get enough of them. Trust me on this one, I know. If you're an American G.I., and you want to know what it feels like to have women fighting over you, you need to take a vacation in Europe.

< Message edited by Doggie -- 4/3/2010 10:33:10 PM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> English in Europe Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI