Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Resolution question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Across the Dnepr - Second Edition >> Resolution question Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Resolution question - 4/8/2010 9:10:51 PM   
vepary

Is there any way to play this game ( or others like BIN and BII ) in high resolution or at least in some resolution which support 16:9 format? On my old CRT i was satisfied with 1280x1024 resolution but on new 24"LCD i am stuck at 1024x768 with these games . I dont mind stretched picture but limited FOV (very small part of map is visible ) makes playing very hard . Anyway , why is adding support for multiple resolutions such a big problem? Thanks for answering !
Post #: 1
RE: Resolution question - 4/8/2010 9:42:16 PM   
Nebogipfel

Sadly, no way.

SSGs engines don´t support wide-screens.

(in reply to vepary)
Post #: 2
RE: Resolution question - 4/8/2010 10:55:26 PM   
e_barkmann

In your graphics adapter software, look for the setting that changes the digital flat panel settings.

Change the setting to 'Fixed aspect ratio scaling' - this will give you the best appearance if you don't have a native 1280x1024 monitor.

< Message edited by Chris Merchant -- 4/9/2010 12:27:32 AM >

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to Nebogipfel)
Post #: 3
RE: Resolution question - 4/9/2010 12:12:55 AM   
Waffenamt

Thanks Chris!

I was also looking for something to fix this. It's a definite improvement, not quite widescreen but maxed on the vertical resolution.

Cheers

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 4
RE: Resolution question - 4/9/2010 12:45:38 AM   
wodin

Very upset about this....I re installed BiI...last time I played was on a CRT...now I have a 19inch LCD 1400x900...oh did it look bad...I actually like the graphic style in these game....you'd have thought they would change the engine to go to widescreen as most people have widescreen monitors these days.

(in reply to Waffenamt)
Post #: 5
RE: Resolution question - 4/9/2010 3:07:54 AM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

I kinda doubt it's a simple change. These maps are basically hand-drawn in Photoshop or whatnot, and the graphics engine they're using (if one can call it that) simply wasn't designed as a Windows-native scalable display system, I'm guessing. So to convert it to scale to your desktop resolution would probably be a herculean undertaking, especially with all the interface elements and stuff that would go along with that. The UI doesn't use Windows dialog boxes/windows/etc. AFAIK, either.

For me, it's "ok" now, but I agree that we're facing something of a quandary. As we go on, no one is going to have a CRT, and most everyone is going to have widescreen LCDs. We're going to reach a point shortly where this game system or its follow on will have to change graphics technology. And yeah, I'd love to use all my monitor real estate and have a more high-rez game UI and map/counters to work with. But it is what it is, and what it is is still a damn fine wargame system. Fiddle with your settings (monitor/card) if you can and maybe you can find a setting that is workable for you. It ain't optimal, but it beats not playing.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: Resolution question - 4/9/2010 7:40:46 AM   
vepary

Actually i find option to correct aspect ratio in monitor menu (picture has black strips on sides) , but big problem , small FOV still remains.For now i will not buy this game , maybe when some patch add support for higher resolutions.

(in reply to TheWombat_matrixforum)
Post #: 7
RE: Resolution question - 4/9/2010 8:21:15 AM   
e_barkmann

have you set the resolution within the game to 1024x768 or 1280x1024?  Try the other resolution and see if that helps

cheers

(in reply to vepary)
Post #: 8
RE: Resolution question - 4/9/2010 9:50:35 AM   
Pete AU

Not that it stops you playing - but I'll add it to the monitor wish list. A hassle for me is a multi screen setup. As the SSG titles do not play in a 'window' they cause merry hell when you want to go from one screen to another - basically a 4 screen lock-up on occasion requiring a re-boot. Granted - I'm probably the only one here looking at 4 screens today - but it would be nice to have DB play in a window.

"You don't have to tell me I'm right, we'll assume it".

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 9
RE: Resolution question - 4/9/2010 10:28:09 AM   
vepary

In BIN i have option to set resolution on 1280x1024 but game wont work on that resolution (crashes on desktop).In BII only resolution option is 1024x786, other is not shown . I presume that same case will be with new AtD.

(in reply to Pete AU)
Post #: 10
RE: Resolution question - 4/9/2010 12:17:08 PM   
e_barkmann

crashing could indicate issues with your graphics drivers.

(in reply to vepary)
Post #: 11
RE: Resolution question - 4/9/2010 1:48:11 PM   
jjdenver

quote:

ORIGINAL: vepary
In BIN i have option to set resolution on 1280x1024 but game wont work on that resolution (crashes on desktop).In BII only resolution option is 1024x786, other is not shown . I presume that same case will be with new AtD.

I'm not exactly sure what you're describing but it sounds like you are describing a problem that I also had. It drove me crazy for awhile. Basically the game would be set to 1280x1024 when I'm playing with laptop plugged into monitor and work fine. Then I unplug my laptop to sit on the couch and start up the game and it crashes. This is because my laptop monitor doesn't support 1280x1024 (but does support 1024x768).

So now I go into the game folder and edit the file options.txt every time I plug into a monitor or unplug from a monitor (first I exit the game before I plug ur unplug from monitor btw). In that file is a line that lists resolution.

On my PC the file only lists one resolution. So when moving to monitor I change 1024x768 to read 1280x1024 in that file. Then start the game and it works fine. When I am ready to unplug from monitor I exit game, change options.txt to read 1024x768, restart the game and it works.

I hope this helps - it was really painful until I learned this.

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 4/9/2010 1:49:06 PM >

(in reply to vepary)
Post #: 12
RE: Resolution question - 4/17/2010 8:54:43 AM   
Blutch

How can you sell a game which do not support high resolution screen ???

I am very sad, I can buy a game with a resolution of 1280.....

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 13
RE: Resolution question - 4/17/2010 2:52:37 PM   
Nebogipfel

My words..................................Blutch,

Matrix should make a clear statement, that those games don´t support widescreen resolutions.
I wonder, how many poor customers, who bought those games, will enter this forum, disappointed about the resolution issue.

Considering the prices of KdatD and AtD2, the whole thing is getting a joke.

I posted the same question on the ssg forum. You won´t get an official answer. Sad.....true.

Beware of this, I don´t purchased it. Thats the way customers are lost.

(in reply to Blutch)
Post #: 14
RE: Resolution question - 4/17/2010 9:30:32 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nebogipfel

Matrix should make a clear statement, that those games don´t support widescreen resolutions

I don't get it: I play the game on 2 different computers under XP, and I have full screen with both resolutions on a 24-inch monitor.One has a 1900X video card and theother a GS8800.

Henri

< Message edited by henri51 -- 4/17/2010 9:38:55 PM >

(in reply to Nebogipfel)
Post #: 15
RE: Resolution question - 4/19/2010 12:45:48 AM   
Fred98

These games do not support wide screen resolution.

Nor does:

War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition
Uncommon Valour
TOAW
Close Combat ( any of them)
Conquest of the Agean
The upcoming Grisby's War in the East
Steel Panthers

I too would like all games to support wide screen but alas they do not!

( Decision Games War in Europe Supports wide screen)

-

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 16
RE: Resolution question - 4/19/2010 1:53:56 AM   
Nebogipfel

Ok, some of them run in windowed mode.
Others are few years old.

But yes, it would be fine, if some developer would integrate it in the future.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 17
RE: Resolution question - 4/19/2010 1:37:42 PM   
BigJ62

AE does support wide screen.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

Nor does:

Uncommon Valour
TOAW
Conquest of the Agean
Steel Panthers

-

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 18
RE: Resolution question - 4/19/2010 2:11:06 PM   
wodin

Conquest of the Agean supports it aswell. Just choose size of desktop option.

Joe98 I hope your wrong about War in the East aswell.

OK just checked the forum it will support widescreen...

Blimey Joe98 you got a few wrong there mate....gave me shock at first about War in the East

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/19/2010 2:20:30 PM >

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 19
RE: Resolution question - 4/19/2010 5:12:44 PM   
Txema

quote:

Nor does:

Uncommon Valour
TOAW
Conquest of the Agean
Steel Panthers

-

All the Close Combat re-releases by Matrix Games (CC:CoI, CC:WAR, CC:TLD) do support wide screen resolutions.

In the same way, War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition does support also wide sreen resolutions.

Conquest of the Agean and their previous game Highway to the Reich do support wide screen resolutions.

And according to the Matrix games forums, The upcoming Grisby's War in the East will support wide screen resolutions

I would say that very few games released in 2010 will not support wide screen resolutions. In my opinion this is an important drawback for a game that has been just released and that has a no-budget price at all.

Txema

< Message edited by Txema -- 4/19/2010 5:25:15 PM >

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 20
RE: Resolution question - 4/19/2010 5:43:45 PM   
vonRocko

We pay a premium price for this game, and it still looks 15 years old!

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 21
RE: Resolution question - 4/19/2010 6:26:00 PM   
Nebogipfel

Don´t forget, that this engine is praised as the "future engine" of SSG. Many of the older scen´s will (might) be ported to the Kharkov system.

Maybe in two years everyone will have a widescreen display. SSG will be forced to develope a new "future engine". Then all older scen´s must be ported again.
And all Kharkov/AtD2 buyers will be disappointed, because then the older AtD2 engine becomes useless.

As a company, you can´t lay all your hopes on a system, which is outdated.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 22
RE: Resolution question - 4/19/2010 11:08:38 PM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Txema
All the Close Combat re-releases by Matrix Games (CC:CoI, CC:WAR, CC:TLD) do support wide screen resolutions.

I have those games and they do not support wide screen unles yo want them stretched

quote:

In the same way, War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition does support also wide sreen resolutions.

Only if you like stretched hexes.

quote:

Conquest of the Agean and their previous game Highway to the Reich do support wide screen resolutions.

Again only steretched across the screen

quote:

And according to the Matrix games forums, The upcoming Grisby's War in the East will support wide screen resolutions

I saw the question asked and answered. The answer could have been "YES!" it wasn't . The answer "duck and weave" ( windowed mode".

-

< Message edited by Joe 98 -- 4/19/2010 11:11:45 PM >

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 23
RE: Resolution question - 4/19/2010 11:56:07 PM   
Deathtreader

[

quote:

-
Hi Joe 98,

I also have a widescreen monitor and I run COTA at resolution 1680x1050. No stretching at all....
everything is perfectly fine and one can see a LOT more real estate than when in 4x3 mode.
What resolutions are you running at??

Regards,

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 24
RE: Resolution question - 4/20/2010 12:19:21 AM   
BigJ62

You are wrong about AE as I am the one who put the code for it.

quote:

quote:

I have those games and they do not support wide screen unles yo want them stretched

quote:

Only if you like stretched hexes.

quote:

quote:

I saw the question asked and answered. The answer could have been "YES!" it wasn't . The answer "duck and weave" ( windowed mode".

-

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 25
RE: Resolution question - 4/20/2010 2:23:11 AM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigJ62

You are wrong about AE as I am the one who put the code for it.

Who is wrong?

Anyway I have AE, The Longest Day, and others, and ALL of them are in full screen (not windowed and fills the screen, albeit at a lower resolution) on my 24-inch monitor on 2 different computers as I mentioned above.

And I can go to the manual (when it is open) simply by pressing the key next to the space bar, which send the game to the bottom bar, from which I can get it back just by clicking on it. So I don't really see what is the issue. Is it a question of video cards? My 2 computers are Macs on which I play PC games on the Mac under Bootcamp with XP, but that should not make any difference at all, since Bootcamp only serves to let the PC use the Mac peripherals.

If this is not the case,then those who complain should get a Mac...

Henri

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 26
RE: Resolution question - 4/20/2010 2:58:14 AM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

Anyway I have AE, The Longest Day, and others, and ALL of them are in full screen (not windowed and fills the screen)

Thenn you are seeing the game in stretched mode. Perhaps you don't know what normal mode looks like. Here is a post from the TLD forum.

Quote: "Actually, I prefer the stretched full screen display

The interface screens are still very crisp even stretched full screen at my playing res of 1680x1050...not blurry at all.

Stretched at full screen you can see and enjoy all the details (ranks, weapons, team icons, unit patches etc) without squinting. "

-

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 27
RE: Resolution question - 4/20/2010 7:22:51 AM   
wodin

Joe98 how come then CotA looks exactly the same on my widescreen and my old CRT and yet BiI looks terrible?

Whether its stretched or not SSG games look awful on a widescreen montior and CotA still a very sharp crisp picture.

I do think you maybe wrong with the CotA game.

It does state that on a widescreen monitor for War in the East nothing is stretched youy will see more hexes on a widescreen.

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/20/2010 7:25:29 AM >

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 28
RE: Resolution question - 4/20/2010 8:02:20 AM   
e_barkmann

some of the games mentioned above just take up the extra real estate of the screen.  However it's difficult to compare, say, a COTA map with an SSG map, chalk and cheese if you ask me - the COTA maps look like they were drawn with crayons on butchers paper :)

I've always been a big fan of the Close Combat maps.  They always look georgeous.

cheers

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 29
RE: Resolution question - 4/20/2010 9:14:53 AM   
Nebogipfel

It´s difficult to compare old games with a new release.
Shall we complain about PG is not running widescreen?

I guess CotA was released 2006. So you should take for example the upcoming bulge game for comparison.

CC5  is running fine on my widescreen, but if it wouldn´t do so, I wouldn´t complain.

I don´t mind playing BII or BiN stretched, but with a new release, my claims are rising.

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Across the Dnepr - Second Edition >> Resolution question Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI