Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

weapon breakdowns and assaults in online game.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> weapon breakdowns and assaults in online game. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
weapon breakdowns and assaults in online game. - 11/23/2000 12:17:00 AM   
Cirrus

I have played about 10 online games with my roommate in these few days. My computer has always been the host. In every game I have suffered couple weapon breakdowns. And my roomate hasn't have any weapon breakdowns. At least as far I and he can remember. So could there be a bug or just plain old bad luck? And one other thing I had my king tiger loaded with GE Engineer team and US guys assaulted my tank and it destroyed. If I remember correctly isn't those men that I am carrying supposed to prevent assaults? -- Cirrus

Cirrus
"You can cheat all people for some time and some people for all time, but not all people for all time.....and never your mom"
Post #: 1
- 11/23/2000 12:36:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Men riding on tanks no longer make you immune to assualts. Depends on how the dice roll... Some country's and time frames are more prone to breakdowns than others. Breakdowns are not differentiated beyond that.

(in reply to Cirrus)
Post #: 2
- 11/23/2000 1:35:00 AM   
Cirrus

I guess my roommate should start to play lottery Well I let him host next time and see if my bad luck continues -- Cirrus

Cirrus
"You can cheat all people for some time and some people for all time, but not all people for all time.....and never your mom"

(in reply to Cirrus)
Post #: 3
- 11/23/2000 2:57:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Cirrus: I have played about 10 online games with my roommate in these few days. My computer has always been the host. In every game I have suffered couple weapon breakdowns. And my roomate hasn't have any weapon breakdowns. At least as far I and he can remember. So could there be a bug or just plain old bad luck? And one other thing I had my king tiger loaded with GE Engineer team and US guys assaulted my tank and it destroyed. If I remember correctly isn't those men that I am carrying supposed to prevent assaults? -- Cirrus
As far as breakdowns go, I have seen (doing mutiple starts of the same game) where a breakdown would occur about the same time and place moving the same forces the same way. So it may not be totally random, move enough vehicles far enough and you will get a breakdown. Shoot enough guns and you will get a very heavily armored truck. I have had as many as 5 of 17 tanks lose all three weapons, at which point I have the option of using them as recon fodder or pulling them back to wait for repair between battles. I normally pull them out, and save the crew for a later battle. thanks, John.

(in reply to Cirrus)
Post #: 4
- 11/23/2000 4:03:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Cirrus: I have played about 10 online games with my roommate in these few days. My computer has always been the host. In every game I have suffered couple weapon breakdowns. And my roomate hasn't have any weapon breakdowns. At least as far I and he can remember. So could there be a bug or just plain old bad luck? And one other thing I had my king tiger loaded with GE Engineer team and US guys assaulted my tank and it destroyed. If I remember correctly isn't those men that I am carrying supposed to prevent assaults? -- Cirrus
Read "The Last Battle" by Ryan. Some of the labor in the tank repair depots were slave/forced labor. They sabotaged the parts they made/installed as much as they could. So some of those breakdowns are going to be due to the junk parts that the tanks were repaired with. thanks, John.

(in reply to Cirrus)
Post #: 5
- 11/23/2000 9:06:00 AM   
Pack Rat

I don't recall the author (German General), but it was forcast that as much as a third of the German armor would break down. This was just prior to Poland/France invasions. I've never seen anything since to know if it actually came true. In the East later in the war, German armor was dependent to go back to Germany for major over haul and repair, even to a degree minor work. It was a major short coming of the German Army. ------------------ "Sex, it's natures way of loving you" Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to Cirrus)
Post #: 6
- 11/23/2000 9:28:00 AM   
Flashfyre

Yes, weapon breakdowns can certainly ruin your best-laid plans of attack, but they are a reality. Maintenance requirements, weather conditions, manufacturing processes, quality control issues, mean life expectancy of parts, and a host of other items all affect how long a particular machine operates. Some countries had very good manufacturing processes, some made maintenance a prime consideration, some just threw stuff together to get it to the front while there was still a time. At the risk of sounding callous, if breakdowns are that much an issue, why not turn off the preference for them? Then every gun, tank, and truck would function perfectly throughout the game. Admittedly, this removes some realism, but it also evens the playing field.

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

(in reply to Cirrus)
Post #: 7
- 11/23/2000 9:31:00 AM   
Mike Rothery

I don't mind the breakdowns, but the repair time can be way too long. I thinks this was covered in a previous thread though.

MikeR

(in reply to Cirrus)
Post #: 8
- 11/23/2000 9:52:00 AM   
Drake

quote:

Originally posted by Pack Rat: I don't recall the author (German General), but it was forcast that as much as a third of the German armor would break down. This was just prior to Poland/France invasions. I've never seen anything since to know if it actually came true. In the East later in the war, German armor was dependent to go back to Germany for major over haul and repair, even to a degree minor work. It was a major short coming of the German Army.
I dont know from were you got your info but from what I have read the German army had a very good repair system along with the best machanics. Now the red army was the compleat opposent and thats what it sound like you are tolking about. [This message has been edited by Drake (edited November 22, 2000).]

(in reply to Cirrus)
Post #: 9
- 11/23/2000 11:05:00 AM   
Pack Rat

quote:

Originally posted by Drake: I dont know from were you got your info but from what I have read the German army had a very good repair system along with the best machanics. Now the red army was the compleat opposent and thats what it sound like you are tolking about. [This message has been edited by Drake (edited November 22, 2000).]
I believe I read the second part in Wallace (Not Wallace either). The logistics were a nightmare for the Germans in the east. Railroads differant gauge, mud, snow, cold, ice and distance. They had not set up close combat repair areas and things had to be shipped way back. Often times they were heavily stripped by scavangers before they even made it away from the front. ------------------ KISS= Keep It Simple, Stupid Pack Rat I thought it might be J. Keegan but so far can't find it again, who knows when or in what I read it [This message has been edited by Pack Rat (edited November 22, 2000).] [This message has been edited by Pack Rat (edited November 23, 2000).]

PR

(in reply to Cirrus)
Post #: 10
- 11/24/2000 11:02:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Drake: I dont know from were you got your info but from what I have read the German army had a very good repair system along with the best machanics. Now the red army was the compleat opposent and thats what it sound like you are tolking about. [This message has been edited by Drake (edited November 22, 2000).]
I too have seen mention of German equipment breakdowns. When they entered Slovakia, didn't they have quite a few of the vehicles break down, and that was just a victory ride, they weren't getting shot at. Years ago I read that the mtbf (mean time between failures, roughly how long you could expect something to work) for the US M551 was 50 miles. They would break down if used at all. Another example, between WWI and WWII the US army did a test to determine what sort of transport was the best for the future, the compared the distance a unit of horse cavalry, truck carried infantry and bicycle riding infantry could travel in a set period of time (quite a few days). As it turned out the bicycle infantry covered the furthest distance. The trucks spent so much time broken down they couldn't cover more ground than bicycles. The cavalry covered less distance because they had to feed, water, saddle and unsaddle, etc their horses. Now as we know the US didn't enter WWII with bicycle divisions, because the trucks became more dependable as they went along, but vehicles of the 30's and 40's were junk compared with what we drive today. Don't assume since you can drive your car thousands of miles between service, that a vehicle back then could do the same. thanks, John.

(in reply to Cirrus)
Post #: 11
- 11/25/2000 5:22:00 AM   
panda124c

Is there a reliability comparison list? One that shows which type of weapon or vehical is most likely to break down. I like heavy machine guns but the 30 Cal W/C seems to break down more often than the 50 Cal. I like to know which weapon/vehical is the most reliable when choosing my forces.

(in reply to Cirrus)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> weapon breakdowns and assaults in online game. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI