Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Master Wishlist Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Master Wishlist Thread Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/8/2010 9:12:30 PM   
HsojVvad

This is a wish list. If we need to debate about something, can we please make a new thread for this? I would love to get into it, but I will not debate in a wishlist thread.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 271
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 12:48:33 AM   
crazyguy

Hey guys it's me again

I am playing DW at the moment and the automated ships make me furious. For example I have found a junk yard with a lot capital ships early in the game now my crazy constructors think "Hey why not destroy his economy, let us repair all the old ships..."

So what I realy wish is to mark a area or even a whole system as a restricted area so it will be ignored for civilian and other automated ships.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 272
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 12:55:46 AM   
taltamir

capital ships early in the game are awesome... worst case scenario you can scrap them for technology... best though is to use them aggressively as they are massively more powerful then other things...

that being said, an "avoid this system" flag would be a good idea; so i second that request :P

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to crazyguy)
Post #: 273
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 12:59:51 AM   
crazyguy

Yeah you are right but I would like to take one or two out of the "pool" and not all thirty ;)

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 274
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 1:51:58 PM   
freeboy

I would like to be able to not "lose my place" in map view by going to an event, ship or other just to give a few orders... pop up?

(in reply to crazyguy)
Post #: 275
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 4:19:24 PM   
nammafia

I agree to this naming convention or something better. Random names for moon really add an unnecessary layer of confusion to the game. This should be changed in the next update 1.04.

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 276
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 5:15:23 PM   
Cindar

When using the 'copy as new' function, it would be really nice if we had an option to automatically obsolete the prior version. As it is now, you have to go through a few menus and manually tick the box in the old ship design, which is quite a bother when you are rolling out changes to a large number of designs.

(in reply to nammafia)
Post #: 277
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 5:51:06 PM   
taltamir

I agree about the moon names...
I think it should be
<System Name> <Planer Number>.<Moon Number>

ex:
the first moon of Sol 3 would be called Sol 3.1
or it can be Sol 3m1 (m for moon), or sol 3a, etc

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 278
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 6:03:34 PM   
taltamir

i wish i could offer things such as "free trade agreement" in the advanced negotiation windows. So that if a species don't want to accept it, i could bribe it with money, systems, etc to allow it

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 279
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 6:31:55 PM   
Resan

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

I agree about the moon names...
I think it should be
<System Name> <Planer Number>.<Moon Number>

ex:
the first moon of Sol 3 would be called Sol 3.1
or it can be Sol 3m1 (m for moon), or sol 3a, etc

Sol 3a would be great. Those random strings of numbers we have now, doesn't tell me a thing

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 280
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 6:40:17 PM   
BigWolfChris

I agree with the naming convention
Sure, it's not realistic, but this is something where Gameplay outweighs need for realism

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to Resan)
Post #: 281
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 7:01:33 PM   
frugaldude

For now I would be happy with a "sol u4529" format for moons if that is more doable. But the above formats are preferable.

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 282
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 7:14:25 PM   
Malevolence

I would like the ability to delete all selected in the ship design window... as it stands now, only one design can be deleted at a time and it includes a confirmation dialog box. You can keep the confirmation dialog box, but please allow for the eraser of all designs selected.

(in reply to frugaldude)
Post #: 283
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 7:30:50 PM   
siRkid

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigWolf

I agree with the naming convention
Sure, it's not realistic, but this is something where Gameplay outweighs need for realism

+1

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 284
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 8:06:23 PM   
HsojVvad

quote:

i wish i could offer things such as "free trade agreement" in the advanced negotiation windows. So that if a species don't want to accept it, i could bribe it with money, systems, etc to allow it

Ohh I like this. But to add on top of it. If we have a FTA then lets us be able to threaten to cancel it if they or we don't come up with what they ask for. Like "you will not give me the plans to what ever tech, then fine, we cancel our FTA." Then come up with an option, "our leaders will not let us, but how about this sum of money or this tech or this planet? Will this suffice?"

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 285
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 8:52:56 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

I would like the ability to delete all selected in the ship design window... as it stands now, only one design can be deleted at a time and it includes a confirmation dialog box. You can keep the confirmation dialog box, but please allow for the eraser of all designs selected.

Oh god yes! also a "obsolete all" button... so I could batch select for either mass upgrade, mass deletion, or mass obsoleteness.

Post #: 286
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 8:54:19 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Davor

quote:

Ohh I like this. But to add on top of it. If we have a FTA then lets us be able to threaten to cancel it if they or we don't come up with what they ask for. Like "you will not give me the plans to what ever tech, then fine, we cancel our FTA." Then come up with an option, "our leaders will not let us, but how about this sum of money or this tech or this planet? Will this suffice?"

certainly... also cancel FTA with other species... MAKE FTA with another species (might be a bit more complex to broker between two species though.
And the same for defense pacts the like.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 287
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 9:27:56 PM   
Malevolence

Please stop the auto-save game when DW is paused. That will restrict saves while in the middle of using specialized screens and during pauses.

I note this because the auto-save/save isn't conducted in the background. The game stops working and a screen filling pop-up invades the UI.

I assume this wasn't planned for in the design, so in preparation for a background save instead, maybe you capture a few ticks before instead of the moment of the write to disk. We can live with losing a few ticks.

< Message edited by Malevolence -- 4/9/2010 9:34:19 PM >

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 288
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 9:44:58 PM   
taltamir

quote:

Please stop the auto-save game when DW is paused. That will restrict saves while in the middle of using specialized screens and during pauses.

well, good idea with some caveats... I have spent more then 30 minutes in ship design window only to have the game crash... the game was "paused" the whole time. The first time it happened there was no autosave and it was terrible, the second time it happened autosave had saved just before the crash and most ship design changes i have made were saved.

so if you have a design window open you might or might not (depending on the person) want it to trigger saves. Another issue is that if it has been 28 minutes since last save and the game is configured to save ever 30 minutes... well, you pause it and go eat dinner, do some things, come back 2 hours later to find the game crashed. You lose 28 minutes of play...

I think that:
1. Saves should just save faster, then it wouldn't be issue... i mean, it literally takes minutes to save (i timed it with a stop watch... several minutes to save, 1 minute 15 seconds to load a 1400 star galaxy with a 300+ star empire with dozens of craft = millions of objects)
2. if the game is paused and no windows are open (aka, you are not in the design window, etc)... then the game should save the next time autosave comes around, then halt autosaving until the game is resumed. (aka, save only once while paused AND away from keyboard)
3. if the game is paused and winddows ARE open (aka, design window, diplomacy window, expansion planner, etc) let the user CHOOSE whether they want to allow autosave while such windows are open, or if they want to pause the timer (aka, do save multiple times if the game is paused but you are actually doing "work" on your empire while the game is paused; if you chose to, disable-able if you don't want it to).
4. If an autosave is disallowed in a certain circumstance as described above, it should PAUSE the timer... that is, if you specify save every 30 minutes, and you pause the game at 29 minutes after it was started and unpause it at 31 minutes, then it should save at 33 minutes, not at 60 minutes. (otherwise you could end up skipping many autosave points by accident.)

i believe the above 4 rules present an ideal situation while covering every possible eventuality. of course, it takes effort to program as such... so until then I would prefer if autosave continues to save normally while paused to prevent such issues as I mentioned above.

EDIT: If anyone can think of an eventuality i did NOT cover here please say as such. I would try to amend this protocol for saving to ensure everyone is satisfied.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 4/9/2010 10:13:33 PM >

Post #: 289
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 10:07:27 PM   
Malevolence

quote:

quote:

well, good idea with some caveats... I have spent more then 30 minutes in ship design window only to have the game crash... the game was "paused" the whole time. The first time it happened there was no autosave and it was terrible, the second time it happened autosave had saved just before the crash and most ship design changes i have made were saved.

so if you have a design window open you might or might not (depending on the person) want it to trigger saves. Another issue is that if it has been 28 minutes since last save and the game is configured to save ever 30 minutes... well, you pause it and go eat dinner, do some things, come back 2 hours later to find the game crashed. You lose 28 minutes of play...

I think that:
1. Saves should just save faster, then it wouldn't be issue... i mean, it literally takes minutes to save (i timed it with a stop watch... several minutes to save, 1 minute 15 seconds to load a 1400 star galaxy with a 300+ star empire with dozens of craft = millions of objects)
2. if the game is paused and no windows are open (aka, you are not in the design window, etc)... then the game should save the next time autosave comes around, then halt autosaving until the game is resumed. (aka, save only once while paused)
3. if the game is paused and winddows ARE open (aka, design window, diplomacy window, expansion planner, etc) let the user CHOOSE whether they want to allow autosave while such windows are open, or if they want to pause the timer.
4. If an autosave is disallowed in a certain circumstance as described above, it should PAUSE the timer... that is, if you specify save every 30 minutes, and you pause the game at 29 minutes after it was started and unpause it at 31 minutes, then it should save at 33 minutes, not at 60 minutes. (otherwise you could end up skipping many autosave points by accident.)

i believe the above 4 rules present an ideal situation while covering every possible eventuality. of course, it takes effort to program as such... so until then I would prefer if autosave continues to save normally while paused to prevent such issues as I mentioned above.

I agree with you, background saving is the real way to go, but I don't think it was planned.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 290
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 11:12:56 PM   
GaryChildress

I think I saw this mentioned somewhere else so this is more like a second or third or whatever of someone else's wish...

It would be REALLY great if we could choose for all the different factions in a game to start out as single planets. So for instance you toggle a slider bar on the game setup screen which would make your faction and every other faction start out as a single populated planet, maybe without a space port. Your first mission would be to build a spaceport for your planet, then build some exploration ships, etc and start colonizing the galaxy from scratch. Also it would be nice if you could start a game with no ship designs and design all your own ships. Essentially build your own civilization (or whatever) from the ground up. That would be a LOT of fun.

Post #: 291
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 11:59:32 PM   
Nabobalis

My scroll wheel to work without having it zoom the map instead of the list I'm looking at nor having that list jump back to the top when I tell a constructor ship to build a mine there. Also have the launcher exit when I start the game. Finally a game start where I only have a space port and a homeworld, no ships and no designs.

< Message edited by Nabobalis -- 4/10/2010 12:00:24 AM >

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 292
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/9/2010 11:59:45 PM   
HsojVvad

I asked this already Garry. Erik said it needed to be in otherwise there would be no economy to start out with. Maybe this is more for the AI since they wouldn't know how to start from scratch maybe. Do what i did, open up the editor and erase everthing. I did just that, and you know what? The game was boring. It was no fun at all. I can see why CF didn't impliment this at all. Go ahead start a new game and just try it for yourself. All it takes is less than 5 minutes to do. I erased everything, I deleted all ship desings, and I wansn't having any fun at all.

I thought it would be fun too, but it's not. Since this is not a turn based game, we can't just keep hitting the 'end turn' button. I have had the speed on 4X and it took forever to make my first construction ship. Mind you I lernt alot from playing this way, but I ended up, giving up since it was just not fun waiting and waiting. Be leary of what you ask for is all I can say. If you try it and like it, then you should suggest this. As of right now, I would say no. because I don't think the AI can start from nothing.

Consider it a difficulty level if you want to start out with nothing, but leave the AI as is. Other wise you will be too powerfull and end up quitting the game after playing many hours because you just to strong where the AI couldn't keep up with you from starting with nothing.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 293
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/10/2010 10:29:27 AM   
Squiggle

It's been said, but the game would benefit TREMENDOUSLY from a middle-mouse button drag-and-scroll.  I'm not quite sure exactly how to say what I mean, but basically you middle-mouse-click and hold, and dragging moves the screen around that locked point.

Also, corner scrolling that isn't a step horizontally, then a step vertically (like stairs).  Should be more of an "incline," if that makes sense.

I also concur with this one:

quote:

6. Seamless zooming, or zooming with less levels. Currently I use the keyboard shortcuts for quick zooming because the mouse-wheel is too unpredictable and it's visually unpleasant to see how the screen jumps between zoom level.

I too use the keyboard shortcuts, simply because the scroll zoom is too "stuttery." Seamless zooming would be GREAT, but I realize possibly hard to implement? When we say seamless zooming, we mean something like this - smooth.

EDIT: Oh yeah! And I completely agree with some sort of toggle that will turn on and off Private sector ship symbols. When an empire is big, there's so many of them on the zoomed out map that its hard to make sense of everything.

< Message edited by Squiggle -- 4/10/2010 10:36:27 AM >

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 294
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/10/2010 2:42:41 PM   
fabio80mi

quote:

What the game needs is a new diplomatic stance regarding system ownership. Once you colonize a planet in a non-claimed system, it should by default then be considered your territory and off limits to other colony ships. The only way another race should be allowed to then colonize planets in that system is via diplomatic permission (mutual colonization treaty) or via a state of war.

If a colonization treaty exists, then things like military hardware in a system with a colonized planet should not have negative political effects. Of course if one side ends the treaty and there is a system with shared colonies in it, then things go to normal as they are now for disputed systems. But no new colonies in non-shared systems would be allowed until a new treaty was signed.

The way things are now, sharing your territory or galaxy map is almost suicidal to your future diplomatic efforts. Since if you do trade away the maps it guarantees a wave of alien colony ships will come streaming in and place all your systems into disputed status, thus tanking your rep with everyone.

Jim

I'm quoting this here for consideration

(in reply to Squiggle)
Post #: 295
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/10/2010 4:10:18 PM   
pndrev

Game setup - when setting up AI empires, new empires should use the settings for the previously added one. If I want a game with ten AIs, I need to set up TEN. I should be able to set up ONE and then add nine more 'like the last one'.

(in reply to fabio80mi)
Post #: 296
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/10/2010 5:43:08 PM   
HsojVvad

For those with zoom problems with the mouse, did you try disabling nebulas in the options screen? Go to options then choos advance and turn off nebulas. I don't see a difference with nebulas on or off, but I notice when on, when I scroll it's slow, but when off, it's seamless.

(in reply to pndrev)
Post #: 297
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/10/2010 7:17:10 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Davor

For those with zoom problems with the mouse, did you try disabling nebulas in the options screen? Go to options then choos advance and turn off nebulas. I don't see a difference with nebulas on or off, but I notice when on, when I scroll it's slow, but when off, it's seamless.

Ha, I disabled that due to lag in system a while ago... it has nothing to do with the mouse scroll zoom issues

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 298
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/10/2010 7:37:42 PM   
Ranbir

I think it could be cool to politically claim a star system before you actually send your state owned bases or colonies. And then the AI can, if they have specced a system in their long term strategy, dispute the claim. Then we do get the concept of territory and what makes diplomacy fun, disputed territory. It becomes one more bargaining chip or a justification to go to war.

Measure territory by system, and then another lay of which empire has a bigger claim/influence on a sector based on that.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 299
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 4/10/2010 8:03:33 PM   
Engerya

please can the next patch include simplfied components list when designing ships i hate the super long list of super bases and super capital ships.

please create some kinda natural disaster system that on occassion allows asteroids and comets to hit planets or something.

i love the idea of pirates but i think pirates need a place where they can produce ships i suggest a mobile station that the private sector trades with for rare items.

i wish we could make a budget ingame that sets goals for the ai to meet.

just one more thought.

Live and learn to be free from all Earthly attachments including but not limited to, dumb ideas, lust ,love and faith.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Master Wishlist Thread Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI