Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  726 727 [728] 729 730   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 4:28:43 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

Polish president apparently died with all on board in airplane crash in Russia (they went to 70th Katyin massacre rememberance day)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Very sad. Was just looking at the Yahoo article.

At the risk of sounding insensitive (but not really caring) what's it to me if the Polish president dies in a plane crash? Can't really muster up a sad emoticon for that. Sorry.

Well, they are fellow human beings. They were certainly someone's children, spouses, parents, grandparents. But no, theres no law that I can recall that requires you to care.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21811
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 4:29:26 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

That may very well be, but I don't envision this being a 'serious' government. With, you know, responsibilities and all that.

Or a budget.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21812
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 4:29:52 PM   
Onime No Kyo

New page. 

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 21813
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 4:37:32 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

Or in a country where a woman adopts a child of 7 from Russia, gets tired of it, and puts it on a flight back again by itself.

With a note that he's "violent".

Well, you know those 7-year olds. They can be vicious.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 21814
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 4:46:07 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Or in a country where a woman adopts a child of 7 from Russia, gets tired of it, and puts it on a flight back again by itself.

Dude. Putting that kid back on a flight to Moscow by himself was wrong. Full stop. But, I doubt it's a question of 'getting tired' of "it"(sic).

Do you really think that there's a lot of 7 Y.O.s adopted out from Russian orphanages that are going to be perfectly normal from the experience?

We just had a case here where a teenage Russian adoptee (adopted from Russian orphanage as a 12 Y.O.) tried to shoot up a school, but the gun jammed from being loaded with the wrong ammunition. This boy had a history of violent behavior in the household, arson and so forth.

Last year, the adoptive parents approached the state and said that they were at wit's end and didn't know what to do. The state's response was essentially 'tough-he's your problem, deal with him, cause we won't help'. Six months ago the parents surrendered their legal parental rights / responsibilities and had to turn him over as a ward of the court.

Adoption agencies are into pushing volume and getting rid of problem cases-so they're not without blame. Friends of ours that adopted a 15 Y.O. adolescent girl went into the process with eyes wide open. Their requirements? No perps (slang for perpetrators-someone with a criminal record). No firestarters. Within a week of having her in their household, they discovered that she had been both and the agency covered it up to get this 'problem child' off of their books. Our friends 'returned' the child to the agency's custody.

I can't think of a more heart-wracking decision than giving up your child because he or she cannot be controlled. But there are some bad eggs out there, T. No amount of parental love, oversight or guidance is going to fix some of them that are irrevocably screwed up. It's sad, but true.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21815
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 4:46:50 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

That may very well be, but I don't envision this being a 'serious' government. With, you know, responsibilities and all that.

Or a budget.

Dude. What about the beer money? We've gotta budget for that!

Post #: 21816
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 8:56:50 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

Dude. Putting that kid back on a flight to Moscow by himself was wrong. Full stop. But, I doubt it's a question of 'getting tired' of "it"(sic).

Do you really think that there's a lot of 7 Y.O.s adopted out from Russian orphanages that are going to be perfectly normal from the experience?

We just had a case here where a teenage Russian adoptee (adopted from Russian orphanage as a 12 Y.O.) tried to shoot up a school, but the gun jammed from being loaded with the wrong ammunition. This boy had a history of violent behavior in the household, arson and so forth.

Last year, the adoptive parents approached the state and said that they were at wit's end and didn't know what to do. The state's response was essentially 'tough-he's your problem, deal with him, cause we won't help'. Six months ago the parents surrendered their legal parental rights / responsibilities and had to turn him over as a ward of the court.

Adoption agencies are into pushing volume and getting rid of problem cases-so they're not without blame. Friends of ours that adopted a 15 Y.O. adolescent girl went into the process with eyes wide open. Their requirements? No perps (slang for perpetrators-someone with a criminal record). No firestarters. Within a week of having her in their household, they discovered that she had been both and the agency covered it up to get this 'problem child' off of their books. Our friends 'returned' the child to the agency's custody.

I can't think of a more heart-wracking decision than giving up your child because he or she cannot be controlled. But there are some bad eggs out there, T. No amount of parental love, oversight or guidance is going to fix some of them that are irrevocably screwed up. It's sad, but true.

When it comes down to it, nobody but the parties directly involved know the story. I just think it was heinous to ship the kid back to Russia like a sack of potatoes.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21817
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 9:38:19 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

When it comes down to it, nobody but the parties directly involved know the story. I just think it was heinous to ship the kid back to Russia like a sack of potatoes.

Well, I agree with you there.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21818
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 9:46:41 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Zsssssssssss time...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21819
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/10/2010 11:39:40 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

You hit it right on the head with the phrase "eyes open".

The simple truth is that you can make a large bet that a child coming from an adoption program has not had a happy life. At best, his parents died in some tragic manner and he has no next of kin. That child will be very damaged psychologically. But at least he knows what parental care is, has experienced it before. As a happy medium, the child was abandoned as a baby and spent his entire life in institutions. These are not what one would call friendly places and they grow kids up psychologically very fast. So even at 7, youre getting a kid that is emotionally much more mature and self reliant than most children his age, and likely resentful for it. And at absolute worst, the child had been taken away by the state from an alcoholic father, a drug addict mother, a pedophile uncle, you name it, and has been abused, probably in multiple ways, both mental and physical. So no, you will not get a sweet, gentle angel who will live his life thanking you for dragging him out of that hellhole. He might eventually, but you have to make a hell of a sizable investment beforehand.

Throw in the fact that he comes from a different culture. Throw in that he has never had even close to the level of material possessions that Americans take for granted.

Put it all together, and you have yourself quite a soup.

So yeah, not only is it absolutely abhorrent, inhuman, idiotic to put a 7 year old child on a plane to Russia with a note pinned to his shirt. Its equally idiotic to adopt a child without being ready for what it entails.

And I'm with T on his original statement, that they got themselves a new toy, got sick of it and tried to return it to the manufacturer as defective. These arnt people, theyre slime.

[/rant]

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21820
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 3:03:31 AM   
Grollub

G'night gents

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

Post #: 21821
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 5:54:34 AM   
scott64

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 21822
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 7:22:14 AM   
thegreatwent

G'night Threadbrothers

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 21823
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 8:02:39 AM   
Terminus

Sunday Morning Tithe...

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 21824
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 8:35:30 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21825
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 9:25:43 AM   
Grollub

Mornin' gents.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 21826
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 10:38:11 AM   
comte

Good Morning Guys

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 21827
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 2:55:04 PM   
Chickenboy

Good morning, men.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 21828
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 4:01:18 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

I think its a tad bit more complicated than that.

A bit condescending Nik, but I am on your turf and it is probably not worth the debate without a number of beers being involved...

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 21829
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 4:56:45 PM   
thegreatwent

It is far more serious than it needs to be here. May I suggest this nautical beer, Sink the Bismark http://www.brewdog.com/product.php?id=47&image_to_use=Image2 41% alcohol. Sadly it is sold out till May. I don't know if the beer is any good but it was made in response to a German beer that tippled in at 40%.

How is that done without distillation? Expiring minds want to know

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 21830
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 5:27:19 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Morning tithe.

Went salsa dancing with GFU and friends last night. Although I will never be mistaken for someone who can actually dance, a good time was had by all....helped along by about a baker's half-dozen Negra Modelos.

Post #: 21831
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 5:42:04 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

It is far more serious than it needs to be here. May I suggest this nautical beer, Sink the Bismark http://www.brewdog.com/product.php?id=47&image_to_use=Image2 41% alcohol. Sadly it is sold out till May. I don't know if the beer is any good but it was made in response to a German beer that tippled in at 40%.

How is that done without distillation? Expiring minds want to know

Post #: 21832
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 6:59:59 PM   
Onime No Kyo

This place isnt very busy today. I guess people are busy with silly, trivial things, like spending time with their families, enjoying spring weather and other frivolous pursuits.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21833
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 7:00:39 PM   
Chickenboy

Glad to see some of us have our priorities in order...

Post #: 21834
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 7:19:23 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

At the risk of sounding insensitive (but not really caring)...

The preceding disclaimer was brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21835
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 7:57:45 PM   
Terminus

Good evening and night.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 21836
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 8:07:57 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

This place isnt very busy today. I guess people are busy with silly, trivial things, like spending time with their families, enjoying spring weather and other frivolous pursuits.

How did you guess?

Leo "Apollo11"

Post #: 21837
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 8:17:10 PM   
USSAmerica

Hockey rink/busy weekend - tithe. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 21838
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 8:27:24 PM   
thegreatwent

Sunday afternoon Tithe

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 21839
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 10:05:57 PM   
Grollub

G'night gents

Post #: 21840
Page:   <<   < prev  726 727 [728] 729 730   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  726 727 [728] 729 730   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI