Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the East Q&A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/7/2010 12:13:24 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: zbig

Do the movement points on the counters decrease as the unit moves?

Yes, in most cases. If you drag and drop without the move animation turned on then you won't see MP's change until the unit reaches it's destination hex.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to zbig)
Post #: 601
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/7/2010 3:20:59 PM   
wmcalpine

In the 42 AAR, some of the units look red to me (I do have serious trouble resolving reds and greens these days). Are they guards units?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 602
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/7/2010 3:47:41 PM   
Theng

Yes there are guards units

Molon Labe!

(in reply to wmcalpine)
Post #: 603
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/10/2010 5:50:58 AM   
Naughteous Maximus

I have a question in regards with reinforcements, for example, What if you started a game from '41 and got to late '43 and there was no Stalingrad. Do the divisions that historically had been destroyed in Stalingrad, are they automatically withdrawn in late '43 to reinforce the Italian front? Since we are playing a game that is supposed to be historically accurate, what if you change events in the east so that historic events did not happen, how does that change divisional replacements and reinforcements?

(in reply to Theng)
Post #: 604
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/10/2010 12:35:15 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Naughteous Maximus

I have a question in regards with reinforcements, for example, What if you started a game from '41 and got to late '43 and there was no Stalingrad. Do the divisions that historically had been destroyed in Stalingrad, are they automatically withdrawn in late '43 to reinforce the Italian front? Since we are playing a game that is supposed to be historically accurate, what if you change events in the east so that historic events did not happen, how does that change divisional replacements and reinforcements?

I'd have thought you'd have changed history during play then. A game can't follow history during play and be played at the same time...otherwise you will just watch a re run of what actually happened. the units were destroyed at Stalingrad so we have no real idea if they would have been withdrawn to the Italian front or not. So I imagine the units will be at your disposal to use in another way.

You could say the same for Kursk or Barbarossa...or any battle where units where lost.

(in reply to Naughteous Maximus)
Post #: 605
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/10/2010 1:11:06 PM   
elmo3

German units that are destroyed will reappear at the western edged of the map and get rebuilt.  So if a unit that is designated to withdraw at some point in the future is destroyed first it will come back, be rebuilt, and then withdraw at the appropriate time.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 606
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/10/2010 1:42:56 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Naughteous Maximus

Here's how we handle Stalingrad and any similar situation: Units are "withdrawn" from the game for two reasons:

1) They are permanent withdrawals either do to the fact that they were re-deployed on another front never to return to Eastern Front or they were destroyed in combat and the Germans choose to disband rather than re-build the unit. Therefore divisions lost at Stalingrad, re-built and returned to the Eastern Front never leave the game but those that were lost, re-built and then deployed on another front for the duration are withdrawals. BTW, the Stalingrad withdrawals occur in the Spring of 1943 when the historical divisions were being re-built, not at the time of the battle of Stalingrad.

2) Units in question were withdrawn, participate in some activity (usually but not always combat) off the Eastern Front, and then return to the Eastern Front. This type of withdrawal usually applies to units like the elite SS divisions which were constantly being shuffled back and forth. The important factor here is that these units have to do something while off the Eastern Front. Units that were withdrawn, re-built and returned to the Eastern Front are NOT withdrawals in game terms.

(in reply to Naughteous Maximus)
Post #: 607
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/11/2010 7:19:11 PM   
SGHunt

Different question based on looking at PD's latest AAR, and trying to be good by not asking on his thread!

Am I right that even fixed units can move one hex per turn? Can they fight (assault) without penalty?

Another question, and sorry if this has been dealt with elsewhere: what happens when you assault from a number of hexes, some over a river and others overland? What happens to the effectiveness of the combat elements of the different units?

And another:
Are fixed fortifications, such as the Stalin line, represented and if so are they ever presented along hex sides, and thus are they capable of being turned? It seems to me that with most fortifications, bar genuine fortresses and the German hedgehog, the direction of attack is all important.

Thanks

Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 608
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/11/2010 9:46:34 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: von Jaeger

Different question based on looking at PD's latest AAR, and trying to be good by not asking on his thread!

Am I right that even fixed units can move one hex per turn? Can they fight (assault) without penalty?

Another question, and sorry if this has been dealt with elsewhere: what happens when you assault from a number of hexes, some over a river and others overland? What happens to the effectiveness of the combat elements of the different units?

And another:
Are fixed fortifications, such as the Stalin line, represented and if so are they ever presented along hex sides, and thus are they capable of being turned? It seems to me that with most fortifications, bar genuine fortresses and the German hedgehog, the direction of attack is all important.

Thanks

Units with a status of STATIC can move 1 hex not units fixed in place by scenario design and they cannot attack without being activated (lack sufficient movement points). In the AAR (1942 - 1945 Campaign) many of the units on the northern half of the map are in static status; they can only move one hex until activated. By contrast, fixed units cannot move at all until specified by the scenario or unless they are activated by enemy action. For example the Finnish Army is fixed (movement rate 0) for the first three turns of the 1941 - 1945 Campaign.

In a hasty attack only units stacked together can attack simultaneously and then only the units that individually have sufficient movement points to do so. In a deliberate attack all units adjacent to the hex being attacked can attack simultaneously but again only the ones that individually have sufficient movemnents (even more MPs than a hasty attack). In general, the more movement points a unit expends the less effective become all its combat elements but this statement is a simplification of a very complex process actually going on in the game.

The Stalin line is represent by those hexes beginning the game with a higher fortification level than the default 0. At 10 miles to the hex the scale is too large to represent concepts such as facing. If a hex has a fortification level greater than 0 it has that level in every direction.

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 609
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/12/2010 12:49:40 AM   
SGHunt

Thanks, Jaw.  

I guess the second question is answered by the 'more movement points a unit expends the less effective become all its combat elements' but I want to know those complex details!!!!   (I know I won't be able to really get to grips with them before release.)

Essentially, am I right that each combat element of each unit will be affected by having to force the river, attack into the forest or whatever, and there will be diffferent effects for different arms in different terrain, and this will also be affected by supply, morale, fortification level and type of enemy combat element etc etc.   

I presume there will be some sort of table or matrix (or matrices) for these various effects in the manual?   No chance of a sneak preview, I suppose?

Thanks again

Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 610
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/12/2010 12:56:09 PM   
jaw

quote:

Thanks, Jaw.  

I guess the second question is answered by the 'more movement points a unit expends the less effective become all its combat elements' but I want to know those complex details!!!!   (I know I won't be able to really get to grips with them before release.)

Essentially, am I right that each combat element of each unit will be affected by having to force the river, attack into the forest or whatever, and there will be diffferent effects for different arms in different terrain, and this will also be affected by supply, morale, fortification level and type of enemy combat element etc etc.   

I presume there will be some sort of table or matrix (or matrices) for these various effects in the manual?   No chance of a sneak preview, I suppose?

Thanks again

The manual is still in the process of being written/revised so I can't be more specific at this time. As for the amount of detail that will be revealed in the manual I can't say whether it will be any better or worse than any other computer game. The beauty of computer games is that they relieve the player of the burden of memorizing all the rules but their bane is that the detailed mechanics of the game that old board gamers like myself use to love to analyze is gone also. There will obviously be movement point cost charts for calculating moves and combats but the computations necessary to figure out the combat effectiveness of a Panther tank whose division has expended all its movement points to reach and attack across a major river into a heavy urban hex may not be spelled out. Fortunately I'm not the person responsible for writing the rules manual!

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 611
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/12/2010 2:10:58 PM   
PyleDriver

Really well put Jim. Who and I mean who, could spell out the mind of Gary? Al has his hands full... Al is the gentleman forced with the task of keeping our manual in order...Very well done so far I would say. Whats it up to now 130 pages, its a novel, don't worry it's only 65, theres 2 sides on a page...lol...This game has all the bells and whistles you want.

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 612
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/12/2010 4:03:40 PM   
SGHunt

Again, thanks to both of you for the replies. I am not being a super nerd here (although I did enjoy, like Jaw used to I suspect, wading through the Squad Leader rules when I wasn't able to actually play the game !!) - what I want to know is this:

Once I have learned how to play the basic mechanics of the game, am I going to be able to 'read' the likelihood of success, and importantly the likely relative cost of a battle, by looking at the units and the type of combat elements within those units, then examining the terrain, the weather and other factors, and by considering what is known about the enemy? I don't need to know all the 'under the bonnet' calculations to do this, nor would I be able to understand half of it, I'm sure, but I do need to know something of how it all works together in order to husband my troops and equipment and use the best combination of kit for the best job.

If this is driving you mad or boring you into submission, I apologise in advance, but now I know something of the strategy from the excellent AAR's, I want to know more about the battle tactics, especially for the tricky and high risk battles, sieges, major river crossings etc.

Thanks for your patience
Stuart

Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 613
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/12/2010 6:05:27 PM   
PyleDriver

Stuart, all I can say is this game you will enjoy for years. I have and the wife hasn't filled any papers yet...lol...And my name is Jon...Enjoy the posts, I am...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 614
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/12/2010 6:30:09 PM   
jaw

quote:

Again, thanks to both of you for the replies. I am not being a super nerd here (although I did enjoy, like Jaw used to I suspect, wading through the Squad Leader rules when I wasn't able to actually play the game !!) - what I want to know is this:

Once I have learned how to play the basic mechanics of the game, am I going to be able to 'read' the likelihood of success, and importantly the likely relative cost of a battle, by looking at the units and the type of combat elements within those units, then examining the terrain, the weather and other factors, and by considering what is known about the enemy? I don't need to know all the 'under the bonnet' calculations to do this, nor would I be able to understand half of it, I'm sure, but I do need to know something of how it all works together in order to husband my troops and equipment and use the best combination of kit for the best job.

If this is driving you mad or boring you into submission, I apologise in advance, but now I know something of the strategy from the excellent AAR's, I want to know more about the battle tactics, especially for the tricky and high risk battles, sieges, major river crossings etc.

Thanks for your patience
Stuart

In my opinion one of the beauties of WitE is that on the surface it looks like a very conventional wargame with attack and defense "factors" that remind one of a classic board game. I have found that applying the same logic I would in a board wargame (odds of 3 to 1 or better usually succeed) I pretty much get the outcome I expect. Unfortunately getting such odds is not easy and you often have to go with what you have and hope for the best (i.e. try to roll a 6).

If you just apply the common sense you would have acquired from reading military history and playing wargames for years (and your reference to SQUAD LEADER tells me you are no novice) then you will do very well playing this game. You already know the perils of trying to assault an urban area with panzers, the importance of air superiority, the constraints of supply, and the eternal debate of quality versus quantity. WitE just allows you to draw on all that knowledge in one place at one time. Gary has tried to make this game as rational as possible; the tactics that were successful in the real war should be successful in WitE and the mistakes that were made in the real war you can make as well.

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 615
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/12/2010 7:07:34 PM   
SGHunt

Many thanks to you both, Jon and Jim.   It seems the more I read, the more people tell me what I want to hear!   It works as you would expect it to (and you don't have to roll the dice or look at tables).

I may even get to PBEM with this one!   

Oh well, I have ATD2 to keep me occupied till this beauty comes out...

S

Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 616
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/12/2010 9:37:00 PM   
ComradeP

It seems we're becoming sort of an Eastern Front enthusiasts family.

Is there something that prevents the player from abusing the system by using certain formations to attack mostly weak targets, so their leader will end up with more victories than defeats and in the Soviet case, a unit has a higher chance of becoming a Guard unit?

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 617
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/13/2010 4:58:15 AM   
AZKGungHo

I'm loving watching the AAR's of this game. It looks incredible!  My only worry is that it might be too complex for me, as I tend to enjoy simpler games. At this point in the testing, how complex do the playtesters think it is?

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 618
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/13/2010 10:31:51 AM   
karonagames

Based on 1 month of testing, I can say that the basic structure of the game is very simple. The concept of move, then conduct either hasty or deliberate attacks, is very straightforward. The complexity comes from needing to be able to maximise your combat strength and movement points to enable you to achieve your objectives.

To do this, you have to look at all the stuff going on behind the front lines, such as - repairing the right railway lines so that supplies are getting to your armoured spearheads; making sure your air units are based in the right places to maximise the chances that they will fly the air support missions that will tip the balance in key battles; attaching the correct support units to front line troops to reflect their objectives.

There are plenty of automated functions, particularly air missions and construction battalions "back-filling" the rail network, in which the AI does a good job. You can also auto-attach units to HQ's to avoid the command and control penalties for being out of range, but this uses up your precious admin points (APs).

The answer to your question lies in your definition of a "simple" game. WITE is more complex than Advanced Tactics and Panzer General, but players of TOAW, the SSG's series, Panther Games' series, and HPS's Panzer Campaigns series should have no problems once they have adjusted to WITE's unique mechanics. This took me about a week. I probably have about 2 years to go to "master" this monster!

It's only a Game

(in reply to AZKGungHo)
Post #: 619
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/13/2010 1:34:17 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

Is there something that prevents the player from abusing the system by using certain formations to attack mostly weak targets, so their leader will end up with more victories than defeats and in the Soviet case, a unit has a higher chance of becoming a Guard unit?

What you're suggesting is more plausible in theory than in practice. The driving force behind offensive actions is the capture of important objectives (i.e. cities/urban areas) and the destruction of enemy forces. You are not going to waste your time trying to manuever to attack some meaningless weak unit just to rack up a cheap victory at the expense of your primary offensive mission. Time is never on the side of the Axis player and from a purely offensive prospective time is often not on the side of the Russian player either when you consider that Fall rains and Spring thaws (read mud) always bring operations to a standstill. You will likely find that the micromanagement necessary to abuse the system just it worth the cost in the long run.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 620
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/13/2010 5:19:14 PM   
Smirfy

Some form of unit ID on the counters would be nice

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 621
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/13/2010 5:28:02 PM   
SGHunt

I agree, especially at zoom levels 1 and 2 - nothing fancy, just numbers (1/1Pz, 2/1Pz etc for regiments would do it, wouldn't it?).   In another post someone suggested up the left side of the unit icon?

(in reply to Smirfy)
Post #: 622
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/13/2010 5:59:53 PM   
jaw

quote:

I agree, especially at zoom levels 1 and 2 - nothing fancy, just numbers (1/1Pz, 2/1Pz etc for regiments would do it, wouldn't it?).   In another post someone suggested up the left side of the unit icon?

You probably can't tell this from the AARs but you see the unit names when you scroll over the unit.

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 623
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/13/2010 6:24:15 PM   
SGHunt

That'll do nicely, thanks!

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 624
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/13/2010 7:10:25 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaw

quote:

You probably can't tell this from the AARs but you see the unit names when you scroll over the unit.

I assume jaw you mean a pop-up window appears? If so this is a pet peave of mine. In GGWbtS some of the pop-up windows are a pain in the butt. They pop-up an you have to go back an close them then they pop-up again, shssst!! I know there's a place you can set the duration of the pop-up but sometime you actually need the pop-up. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. ID on the chit face might be better for a quick scan of units to see who belongs to who.

< Message edited by Capt Cliff -- 4/13/2010 7:11:36 PM >

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 625
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/13/2010 7:19:00 PM   
Hard Sarge

this is a mouse over, mouse over, if you move it, it goes away, also, you can set where you want the info box to show up on the screen

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 626
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/13/2010 8:04:00 PM   
lparkh

The 1942 AAR mentioned activation points. This is the first mention of activation points I've caught (a search on "activation" and "points" didn't turn up anything either). Would you mind speaking to how they are earned and on what basis used up (i.e. what costs more).
THanks,
Lin

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 627
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/13/2010 8:08:21 PM   
elmo3

I'm guessing what was meant was admin points being used for the activation of static units.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to lparkh)
Post #: 628
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/13/2010 9:13:45 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: lparkh

The 1942 AAR mentioned activation points. This is the first mention of activation points I've caught (a search on "activation" and "points" didn't turn up anything either). Would you mind speaking to how they are earned and on what basis used up (i.e. what costs more).
THanks,
Lin

Here's the exact passage from the current version of the rules manual:

Each player starts with a number of administrative (admin) points that varies depending on the scenario. For example, in the 1941-1945 Campaign scenario, the Axis start with 300 admin points and the Soviet player start with 150 admin points. Each player receives additional admin points during their respective logistics phase depending on the scenario. For example, in the 1941-1945 Campaign scenario, the Axis player receives 50 additional admin points per turn and the Soviet player receives 30 additional admin points per turn. Each player may have a maximum of 500 admin points. Any additional admin points are lost during their logistics phase.
Administrative Points are expended for unit transfers between HQs and for transfer of support units between HQ’s, combat units and cities. Admin points are also expended to change the leader of an HQ. The Russian player expends administrative points for creation of combat units, HQs, Fortified Zones and support units, while the Axis player expends points for creating Fortified Zones. One admin point is required to disband a unit.

To this I would add that admin points are used to activate units in static mode at a cost equal to their organic truck requirement divided by 80 (that's in another section of the rules).

I sorry that I can't be more specific than that but as you can tell from the above rules section admin costs vary by the particulars of the situation so it is hard to enumerate them in detail.

(in reply to lparkh)
Post #: 629
RE: War in the East Q&A - 4/13/2010 9:14:25 PM   
Helpless

quote:

this is a mouse over, mouse over, if you move it, it goes away, also, you can set where you want the info box to show up on the screen

Correction. Not where, but when. I.e. delay or disable mouse over pop-up

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI