Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 3/31/2010 5:29:07 AM   
billyjj

Which one is better? I have never played Squad Battle games and I'm a little hesitant to shell out 50 bucks.. Tour of Duty has "Caves and Tunnels Smoke and Illumination" all things that seem would be nice in a Vietnam game. No description on the scenarios, however Vietnam has some nice looking scenarios. Tour of Duty has a campaign to play that almost seems more worth it, so what you guys think? anyone played these games?
Post #: 1
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 3/31/2010 5:48:48 AM   
junk2drive

wodin advised me long ago. Hopefully he will see this and give advice. I never bought either one though. Someday, maybe when I can download it.

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 2
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 3/31/2010 5:56:22 AM   
jomni

I have Tour of Duty but not SB Vietnam.  For me TOD is a good simulation of warfare in Vietnam. It has helicopers, river gun boats, caves, campaigns, non-US troops... I'm not itching to buy SB Vietnam after playing TOD.

I'm not saying TOD is better than SB Vietnam since I have no experience on the latter. But TOD covers the Vietnam War pretty well.

< Message edited by jomni -- 3/31/2010 5:57:33 AM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 3/31/2010 7:24:58 AM   
JudgeDredd

I think Tour of Duty is the latter of the two...kind of suggests that Tour of Duty is better...though I guess that's not a given. I had SB Vietnam and it was great. I would've gotten Tour of Duty if it was on download or for sale in the UK

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 4
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 3/31/2010 10:32:49 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I had SB Vietnam and it was great. I would've gotten Tour of Duty if it was on download or for sale in the UK

Haha. You're the opposite of my case.
This proves you can't go wrong with any of the two.
But you won't be enticed to get both of them unless the games are freely accessible.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 3/31/2010 6:09:04 PM   
billyjj

Thanks for the replies... I don't blame you guys for not buying both, I have no intention of buying both either. Good to know that both games are good, I was expecting some negative comments about at least one of the games and didn't get any so that is a good sign. I think I'm going to go ahead and get tour of duty when i get some extra money.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 6
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 3/31/2010 6:14:38 PM   
NefariousKoel

I bought TOD because it seemed to have more shinies and more everything in general.  Didn't get SB:V, so I could be wrong.

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 7
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/3/2010 8:18:45 PM   
billyjj

http://img135.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=21935_test_122_465lo.JPG

4 helicopters down, 20 US casualties, 5 Vietnamese dead, 3 villages captured. Allied Major defeat, but now I got the hang of things :)

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 8
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/3/2010 9:11:07 PM   
mllange

One of the wonderful things about HPS is the continued commitment to upgrade all existing games to the higher standard and capabilities of the newest titles. SB Vietnam, although the very first SB title - received a patch in December '09 bringing it up to date with the newest SB title. Check out the list of updates and changes by reading the link below. Everything you're asking about (caves, riverboat gunships, etc.) has been included in Vietnam (and all other appropriate SB titles) via updates to the game over time. In my experience HPS games never grow old, they just get better over time!

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/updates/up_SB/up_Vietnam/Vietnam_106.txt

< Message edited by nim8or -- 4/3/2010 10:23:59 PM >

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 9
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/3/2010 9:17:14 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: billyjj

http://img135.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=21935_test_122_465lo.JPG

4 helicopters down, 20 US casualties, 5 Vietnamese dead, 3 villages captured. Allied Major defeat, but now I got the hang of things :)

Damn I want that game. lol - I feel a purchase coming on!!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 10
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/4/2010 12:01:52 AM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

I'm a little hesitant to shell out 50 bucks.

As has been covered before, try NWS - all HPS games are $29.99.

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 11
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/4/2010 12:58:44 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

quote:

I'm a little hesitant to shell out 50 bucks.

As has been covered before, try NWS - all HPS games are $29.99.

Or if you have much more patience than money, do a vulture-watch* on e-bay... I've made a bunch of killer** deals on used HPS games in the past.

* - Watch like a vulture and search for the games in many-many-many-many ways (i.e. partial name searches in completely unrelated categories).
** - $12 ...SHIPPED!

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 12
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/4/2010 1:03:52 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDreddDamn I want that game. lol - I feel a purchase coming on!!

Squad Battles offers a brilliant AI in built up terrain including jungles and forests but a less challenging game when in more open terrain such as urban settings.

The AI has been brilliantly designed to take advantage of any covered avenue of approach in order to execute a close combat attack. I've had scenarios where I've fought a bloody struggle to take a hilltop objective only to see the AI take it right from me on the very last turn!

For this reason, SB Vietnam shines in any scenario taking place in the jungles - the Operation Tscaloosa scenario in which the Marines find themselves stranded on a sand bar surrounded by cliffs, faithfully re-creates the fight of that day. However, take the action into Hue and the AI loses the plot.

For this reason, the two best SB titles to date are: SB Vietnam and SB Eagles Strike. I haven't seen SB Soviet-Afghan War in action but I'd wager it a worthy title too given the covering terrain.

My only gripes with the series are three-fold:

1. Unlike ASL as an example, there is no provision for brevet leadership or field promotion - lose you leaders and your forces die.

2. Rocket propelled weaponry never runs out of ammo.

3. Vehicular art is just bland considering facing is so important. A top-down art approach would have been a lot better.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 13
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/4/2010 2:35:39 AM   
wodin

Lots of mods\scenarios over at Task Force Echo.
There is a great community and league over at The Blitz.

TFE

Blitz

Its a fantastic series that comes alive PBEM....can't recommend it enough.

I'm holding out for the second part to the East Front game. Last one a bought was Winter War. I'm non to keen on anything later that Vietnam so I've not bothered with the Afgan war game. I also gave the Spanish Civil War one a miss. As with most wargames I find I need an interest in the period to get the most out them. Imagination is the key to wargaming I find and if I've read abit about a conflict (especially front line soldier memoirs) then I can immerse myself into the game.

I do suggest you join The Blitz and ask for a game. They are a friendly bunch who will be willing to help a newbie. After PBEM you will find its never the same again playing the AI.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 14
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/4/2010 4:31:59 AM   
mllange

Also happened across this old review article from the way-back machine:

http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/htm/2002/04/sb-v_td/

(Just remember, both games have evolved a bit since 2002 thanks to the continuous updating and support from HPS and Tiller & Co.)

< Message edited by nim8or -- 4/4/2010 4:32:54 AM >

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 15
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/6/2010 2:09:44 AM   
billyjj

I have yet to beat the 1st mission in the campaign without losing at least 1 helicopter, you can sneak a few helicopters behind enemy lines but usually by the 4th one the enemy spots you and your helicopters come under heavy fire. I don't know where the VC have their mortar team setup 3 times I played and I still can't find it. So far the game is infantry combat and small helicopter action. I haven't got to the point where I am able to test out things like air strikes and smoke. Also anyone have any strategies on what weapons I should be using? and is it safe to assault a pinned unit? This game is awesome so far, if anyone has this game I will play them PBEM 1 turn a day, just let me know.

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 16
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/6/2010 2:41:44 AM   
junk2drive

Go to TFE4 there are some tips and such.

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 17
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/6/2010 11:43:06 AM   
wodin

Billyjj go join The Blitz forum....they have a SB league...great bunch of lads you will get a game there. Check the Blitz link in my post above...say wodin sent you.

The TFE link is there aswell.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 18
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/7/2010 12:13:31 AM   
billyjj

Ok.. my name is "vietnam" on that board, I'm just waiting for a admin to accept me, I put wodin in the referral box.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 19
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/18/2010 11:55:30 AM   
MAHI567

Those who served in Vietnam fought in a war without front lines, one where action came quickly and unexpectedly. They fought in rice paddies, in the air, in the cities, and along the rivers of Vietnam. They came from myriad backgrounds and nationalities, all wanting to serve their country. Their combat experiences writ large a story; a story they would take with them, and that would forever represent their Tour of Duty.

< Message edited by MAHI567 -- 4/18/2010 11:56:39 AM >

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 20
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/18/2010 1:55:02 PM   
Anthropoid

Oh! Oh! Oh! Tactical Vietnam games!! This is exactly what I was itching for!

So can you buy that stuff or what?

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 4/18/2010 2:01:58 PM >

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to MAHI567)
Post #: 21
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/18/2010 2:15:49 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Oh! Oh! Oh! Tactical Vietnam games!! This is exactly what I was itching for!

So can you buy that stuff or what?

HPS squad Battles series....go to the NWS online shop as there alot cheaper there. You will find a link on this thread.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 22
RE: HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty - 4/18/2010 3:01:52 PM   
Anthropoid

Actually, got distracted by Aurora

In case anyone is curious and does not know: There are some pretty good Vietnam scenarios in The Operational Art of War III game, which Matrix sells. Spent a lot of time with Boonie Rats, but that is Operational not Tactical.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> HPS SB Vietnam vs Tour of Duty Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI