Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hearts of Iron Preview

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Hearts of Iron Preview Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hearts of Iron Preview - 7/18/2002 9:23:07 PM   
Zakhal

[URL=http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2874668-3,00.html]here[/URL]

[Quote]GS: Any fears that you'll encounter WWII burnout? A lot of games based on the war have come out over the past few years, in all genres, and there's a sense that some gamers are a little tired of it all.

JA: I don't think that is the case, as there have not been any grand strategic games on the World War II era for almost a decade. Of course, games such as Sudden Strike and Return to Wolfenstein have been in this flavor, but there have not been any strategic games recently released. The last grand strategy game set during the Second World War was Clash of Steel, released almost 10 years ago.[/Quote]

Lol!
Post #: 1
- 7/18/2002 9:46:44 PM   
U2

Hi

Another grand strategic wargame coming out (tomorrow) is Battlefront's Strategic Command. It looks just like Clash of Steel and will be sold for 25$
But Hearts of Iron looks really good too and its by a Swedish company!:)
Dan

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 2
- 7/19/2002 8:53:50 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

God with a name like Hearts of Iron I hope it does well, but that name blows for a title of a grand strategy wargame.

Sounds like a movie you take your girlfriend to see. What were they thinking when they named it.

Nice to see those sort wargames are still being released. Truth be known, I would rather a no AI actual opponent required pure copy of an old board game classic like Advanced Third Reich be made instead myself.

Even with the limitations of card board counters and all, I have a better time playing board games solo if need be, then I do against the latest wargame, when all I have to look forward to, is a great let down from a lame AI.

And if all a computer wargame is, is an electronic attempt to be a board game that I have to play solo, well why buy it, I already have great board games that I can play solo.

And I am not entirely sold on online gaming being a good reason to champion computer games.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 3
- 7/19/2002 10:27:34 PM   
Vincent Prochelo

Hmmm... they mention Roosevelt and von Ribbentrop, but no mention of Hitler...

Wonder if he will be portrayed as "Head of State"?

If not, does anyone know if this kind of thing can be modded?

Game looks GREAT!

-V

"It is as it is."

-Edward III

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 4
- 7/20/2002 12:04:56 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmmm almost missed that "here" button that takes you to a blurb of the game.

Vincent what I saw of the site shows that you will have Hitler Ribbentrop and several other key Germany personalities if you are running the German side actually.

Game uses a region location mapboard instead of the more common hexes, but that isn't a negative automatically.

Game looks like it has potential to interest even me. But my first instant reaction was Axis n Allies with greatly magnified spaces. Now if the game is as dumb as the computer AI in Axis n Allies, save your money people. As Axis n Allies is only fun when you have five people playiong the sides.
No amount of cute graphics and nifty sounds will make a game that is brain dead, fun to play in the end.

And that is the bottom line.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 5
- 7/20/2002 12:14:43 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmmm one last comment, The description at the site has an obvious error in that it obviously made the mistake of calling Roosevelt a minister. That is obviously a proofreading goof up on the article.
Ribbentrop was a minister, Hitler would be a head of state. And obviously Roosevelt would be a head of state as well.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Hearts of Iron Preview Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI