Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Latest Update Plans

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Latest Update Plans Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 2:48:54 PM   
Gerth

Baleur, perhaps your bit of trolling is just what that one-man development team needs to light a fire under his buttocks. I wish I would've thought of that. Thanks!

(in reply to Oldguard1970)
Post #: 121
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 4:31:41 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur

quote:

ORIGINAL: astote

woops, must have skimmed over that. dang you guys are fast. good job. 

Fast? mount & blade warband as gotten like 10 patches since release (after Distant Worlds). AI War gets at least 1-2 patches a week.
With the amount of broken stuff in Distant Worlds, i wouldnt call a beta on the 19'th "fast"

2 patches a week? Not something I'd invest in with that many patches in this short of time.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 122
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 4:33:45 PM   
Fishman

Yeah, objectively, I'd have to say the patch schedule on DW is passable, but hardly rigorous or impressive, especially given how broken it presently is.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 123
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 4:41:47 PM   
Vlad77

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur

quote:

ORIGINAL: astote

woops, must have skimmed over that. dang you guys are fast. good job. 

Fast? mount & blade warband as gotten like 10 patches since release (after Distant Worlds). AI War gets at least 1-2 patches a week.
With the amount of broken stuff in Distant Worlds, i wouldnt call a beta on the 19'th "fast"

The amount of "broken stuff"?? Apparently you never played MOO3 upon release. There are some issues to be addressed for certain, but I politely assert that your statement about the "amount of broken stuff" is misleading to the potential buyer. It's easy to whinge but there is no reward in it. Be patient, wait for the next update, and reap the rewards of your patience and the hard work of Codeforce and Matrix Games.

It is also unfair to compare games in terms of patching frequency. Are you privy to the code in each of these games you mentioned? Remember too that a patch was released on the day Distant Worlds was made available for purchase. Look at how many people have problems with EA for example. EA is not exactly the fastest in releasing patches and their customer support is IMHO an oxymoron. Yet here, we have Erik, and we have the developer ACTIVE in the forum. We have beta testers and we have a HELPFUL community that is pitching in and providing workarounds until the next update.

As for broken, you don't really define that do you? I have had NO problems with this game at all. Would I like to see the fueling thing dealt with? Yes. Would I like to set the fleet AI to deal with monsters? Absolutely. Or, let's say I am playing the option of commanding a ship or a fleet. I would love the ability to "warp" to a problem spot with my ship or fleet ala Star Trek. BUT, none of these issues are "broken." They were design choices that many in the community feel are not the best choices. So, many will be addressed. Try THAT with EA or Atari!

In the meantime, play another game, read a book, get some air, do some charitable work, have a nap ;)

Respectfully,
Vlad

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 124
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 4:43:39 PM   
Erik Rutins

Update volume or frequency does not correspond to update quality. We are trying to strike a balance between quality and speed. We are working as fast as we possibly can to get these updates coded, tested and released to you. I'm pretty happy with the fact that each update has made the game better and, so far, not created any new serious issues. We will aim to continue this by making sure we update quickly, but also test each update as thoroughly as we can (within reason) before releasing it. This update is taking a bit longer than the last two, but I think you will all be quite happy with the results.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 125
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 4:49:28 PM   
Vlad77

Erik,

Most of us are THRILLED with the work Matrix Games and Codeforce are doing on this great 4X game. I do hope you read my recent post.

Con molto rispetto,

Vlad

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 126
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 4:49:36 PM   
Anthropoid

I agree that references to "stuff broken" in DW is both unfair, unfriendly, and un-called for. The game works perfectly fine, and it is a lot of fun. I cannot think of a single thing in the game that I'd call "broken." Vlad offers some good suggestions on how to take a chill pill and get along with the community.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

Post #: 127
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 5:14:36 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

I agree that references to "stuff broken" in DW is both unfair, unfriendly, and un-called for. The game works perfectly fine, and it is a lot of fun. I cannot think of a single thing in the game that I'd call "broken." Vlad offers some good suggestions on how to take a chill pill and get along with the community.

I played MOO3 in its release state. DW is far and above that and certainly not 'broken' when you compare it to a truly atrocious game, MOO3. It took the modding community a while to get the problems in MOO3 fixed, basically without any help from the official publisher. The community turned MOO3 into a decent 4X game, cause the developers and publisher sure didn't put forth the effort.

There is no comparison between MOO3 and DW.

That said, there are some minor issues with DW, no doubt. I will not go so far as to call it broken. The things that need fixing are not game-breakers, and we are getting official support in a timely fashion to fix those issues. Matrix/Codeforce are doing an outstanding job of supporting their game and their fanbase.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 128
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 5:36:20 PM   
Webbco

Hey Erik,

Really looking forward to this patch :) and appreciate the consistant hard work you guys are putting into this. Hope Elliot is still alive

Dan

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 129
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 5:46:38 PM   
Sliverine

@Baleur: Being aware that this game was mainly coded and designed by one person alone (possibly with a small team to help him out indirectly with graphics/sound/data collection), i would, in all fairness, have to agree on the fact that they are presently doing a pretty good job. Not the best, but still pretty good given the circumstances.

If you are unhappy about the speed at which they are working, why dont you put your effort into trying to assist via collecting info or bug/balance testing instead? Surely trolling about it is not going to improve things now would it?

< Message edited by Sliverine -- 4/19/2010 5:47:59 PM >

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 130
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 6:07:52 PM   
tevans6220

I understand some of the complaints and I think they are fair. As an owner of over 30 Matrix titles including DW, I think I can safely say that a lot of what Matrix sells are works in progress. One example that comes to mind is Empires in Arms (purchased in 2007 for $70) and still being patched to this day. The Kharkov game similar to CMBB is still waiting on a patch and has been for several months. Call me crazy but I expect something to work when I buy it. I understand bugs and glitches arise in software but let's be honest, if this was any other industry besides software Matrix would probably be out of business. The excuse of a one man operation or comparisons to other games is apples to oranges. People want what they paid for. Imagine buying a car that wouldn't start and being told "We're getting close to fixing it. Maybe another couple of weeks." Not many people I know are going to settle for something like that. Or going to a restaurant and getting a half-cooked meal. Before anybody gets the wrong idea, I own DW and I like it. The whole point of this post was just to say that there are two sides to the situation. For every person who is willing to wait days, weeks or months for the bugs to be fixed there is also a person who feels that the problems should have been ironed out before release and he just wants what he paid for.

(in reply to Sliverine)
Post #: 131
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 6:27:51 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: tevans6220
As an owner of over 30 Matrix titles including DW, I think I can safely say that a lot of what Matrix sells are works in progress.

I appreciate your support, but I do have to disagree on "a lot". I see every title that goes out the door and that's is very much the exception rather than the rule. We work very hard to try to make sure a game does not _need_ post-release updates, though realistically some work is always required due to the nature of small-scale PC game development.

Of the examples you cite, I absolutely agree that Empires in Arms was released as a "work in progress" and remains one to this date. We made a bad call on the release timing there and we continue to work to update it.

Panzer Command: Kharkov was released as a completed game. It needed one update, which was done within a month of release. The second update that you say it is waiting on is not needed by the game. It is instead a gigantic update of additional content and game improvements, equivalent to a new game actually, which we are going to be releasing for free to customers who own Kharkov. I completely disagree that this game needs another update and I see the pending update as a purely positive bonus for customers that own that game.

quote:

Call me crazy but I expect something to work when I buy it.

Me too.

quote:

I understand bugs and glitches arise in software but let's be honest, if this was any other industry besides software Matrix would probably be out of business.

If every one of our releases had issues like Empires in Arms did, we would be out of business. We are in business because, fortunately, that is the exception and we do our best to work with our developers to test our releases before we send them out and support them after they are released.

quote:

I own DW and I like it. The whole point of this post was just to say that there are two sides to the situation. For every person who is willing to wait days, weeks or months for the bugs to be fixed there is also a person who feels that the problems should have been ironed out before release and he just wants what he paid for.

We do understand this. DW released with some severe issues that we simply missed. I hope you will agree that it has improved a lot since release and with about one update per week since release, we are not sitting back here and sipping margaritas. The remaining issues will be resolved very quickly and following on to that will come a series of nice improvements.

It's not unusual for a PC game, regardless of the scale of the developer or publisher, to have some issues after release. It is unfortunately, to a large degree, the nature of complex games that have to work on almost infinite hardware/software combinations. We strive to avoid that and will continue to do our best to keep improving our 'at release' quality, but on the flipside post-release support is essential when things slip through and I am very confident that DW will be on everyone's hard drives for a long time to come.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to tevans6220)
Post #: 132
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 7:37:36 PM   
Wicky

tevans6220 indeed opened my eyes.

Post #: 133
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 7:46:56 PM   
Druthlen

I usually remain quiet however vlad77, you sir are a gentlemen, which is rare on the Internet. Thank you for posting an intelligent response to ignorant dribble. We were all thinking it but you articulated it quite well.

As to the guy that refers to this game as an auto that wont start that is an unfair comparison. It would be fair if say the game never started and gave a vague error and the respond from the developers is we are working on it. It does start however. As to the analogy that it is a half uncooked meal. Again unfair, perhaps the spices are off just enough to annoy youR palate. That is a fair comparison! There are people out there that if a restaurant gets the taste of a dish wrong by just a smidge they joyfully go out and write scathing reviews for that restaurant. Any other decent human being would send the dish back to the kitchen and give the chef a second chance, we are all human after all. I assure you the DW chefs are in that kitchen working tirelessly to satisfy your palate. Have some appreciation!

Druthlen

PS
I dont care if I sound like a fanboi I am really enjoying this game and it annoys me when people make pointless and completely wrong analogies. Thank you, Codeforce please continue to update this wonderful product.

edited for spelling

< Message edited by Druthlen -- 4/19/2010 9:14:17 PM >

Post #: 134
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 7:58:19 PM   
Webbco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Druthlen
PS
I dont care if I sound like a fanboi I am really enjoying this game and it annoys me when people make pointless and completely wrong analogies.

I don't understand the use of 'fanboy' that I've seen sometimes here on the DW forum. Does liking the game and appreciating the hard work of Elliot and Erik et al mean you get this label put on you?

I get the impression that it's being misused...or maybe I'm a fanboy...

Edit: Druthlen, I'm not referring to your usage of it!

< Message edited by Webbco -- 4/19/2010 7:59:07 PM >

(in reply to Druthlen)
Post #: 135
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 8:15:32 PM   
drillerman

Yes, Yes, I'm a Fanboy, cause Sigh said I was!!!

Please don't take that away from me, I want to be a Fanboy!!!

Huh?

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 136
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 8:20:05 PM   
Wayston

hearts of iron 3 was all but unplayable upon release and is still pretty crappy after almost a year and 4 patches, compared to that DW is pretty good already

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 137
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 8:52:26 PM   
deanco2

Looking forward to this patch.  Enjoying the game as it is, but waiting for the auto-fuel and auto-attack added functionality.

Allow me to add my voice to the folks who think the post-release support is 'how it should be done'.

Rare to see in this day and age.

My compliments.

(in reply to Wayston)
Post #: 138
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 9:05:37 PM   
Webbco

quote:

ORIGINAL: drillerman

Yes, Yes, I'm a Fanboy, cause Sigh said I was!!!

Please don't take that away from me, I want to be a Fanboy!!!

Haha, that really made your day didn't it?!

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 139
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 9:57:54 PM   
madpainter

Regarding the "release an unfinished product argument" I thought I'd add my own veiws.

To me what I expect from a game/developer depends on the type of game. Sure if its a shooter or an action game of some sort devloped by EA or sega I expect to install it and never even bother looking for a patch (but sadly the games generally are buggy and the patches are often lacking). But a game of this scope, this different to any other. I would be shocked if it came out with no bugs or issues.
I used to stick to just one game company, most of you will of heard of paradox. Now I have 2 companys I can be "fanboistic" over. And that is because of two things.
1. Community
2. Developers interaction with no. 1
The game was definately playable when I picked it up (patch 2) everything after is just tasty sweet icing.
Fanboy......count me in.

Ps.
Why is it everytime there is a crash/memory issue, loads of people pop up that are "programmers" who can do it better. I often wonder why they buy games.....cant they just make their own?

< Message edited by madpainter -- 4/19/2010 10:03:44 PM >

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 140
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 10:03:09 PM   
murteas

Definitely playable as it is.   I am looking forward to the changes and they will make it a better experience for me, but I have enjoyed the game as it is now and have already seen a lot of improvement in patches.    No complaints from me.   Label me a fanboy.  

(in reply to madpainter)
Post #: 141
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 10:06:33 PM   
Gertjan

Very eager to hear news about the new patch! I hope it also further improves game performance and ship design automation. Let us wait and see. I'm patient.

(in reply to murteas)
Post #: 142
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 10:32:52 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

So some real info on the update. We are planning to go to public beta tomorrow (the 20th) and hopefully official release by the end of this week. The extra day was because of some extra rebalancing work after the weekend's testing. There are quite a few more improvements in the area of fleet management as well from the list in the first post, but I'll post those for you along with the beta tomorrow as we are still cleaning up and finalizing the list.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 143
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 10:40:16 PM   
madpainter

Awesome.
Looking forward to trying it out.

Post #: 144
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 10:52:57 PM   
tgb

Thanks for the update, Erik.  My current game has been on hold while we wait for this.

(in reply to madpainter)
Post #: 145
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 10:55:42 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

So some real info on the update. We are planning to go to public beta tomorrow (the 20th) and hopefully official release by the end of this week. The extra day was because of some extra rebalancing work after the weekend's testing. There are quite a few more improvements in the area of fleet management as well from the list in the first post, but I'll post those for you along with the beta tomorrow as we are still cleaning up and finalizing the list.

Regards,

- Erik

Quick question on a "Public Beta". If I install 1.04 beta and you make changes to it before it is official, would I just have to download the official 1.04 or would I have to somehow go back to 1.03? Which I have no idea how I would...

Post #: 146
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 11:00:35 PM   
Hyfrydle

Thanks for letting us know I can now safely go to bed and look forward to the release tomorrow

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 147
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 11:13:48 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargoil
Quick question on a "Public Beta". If I install 1.04 beta and you make changes to it before it is official, would I just have to download the official 1.04 or would I have to somehow go back to 1.03? Which I have no idea how I would...

Yes, you can install 1.0.4 Beta and then update to 1.0.4 official when that comes out with no problems.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 148
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 11:16:27 PM   
HsojVvad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Regards,

- Erik

Yes. Erik always says, install the official patch even if you have the beta. Sometimes they have a few changes that wasn't in the beta.

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 149
RE: Latest Update Plans - 4/19/2010 11:30:02 PM   
OberonDark

A shame. I'm leaving for Florida on Wed. and not gonna be back till Sunday. =(

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Latest Update Plans Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI