Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Crash Research Overpowered?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Crash Research Overpowered? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crash Research Overpowered? - 4/19/2010 11:39:03 PM   
OberonDark

I've noticed that crash research is extremely powerful. I regularly crash research the habitation area in the beginning of the game so I can skip over several other techs straight to the first hostile colonization one, so I can colonize desert planets, etc. I've noticed that normally to achieve this tech by just letting the research stations roll, it would take a loooong time. Sometimes my tech even sits still for a while.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that research points are divided evenly into their areas (hypothetical: 144k in high tech, divide that by 6 into the six high tech research areas) and allocated every once and a while (don't know how long this "cycle" is. I believe the AI works like this too, in the way of a question I posed a while ago that still hasn't been answered -> http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2436315 ).

Now what I think crash research does is take that entire amount and allocate it into that area, and stops research in other areas too to balance it out. I don't think this is enough though.

Early game you can just crash research whatever you want, skipping 2 or 3 levels, commonly.

Comments, concerns, or corrections?
Post #: 1
RE: Crash Research Overpowered? - 4/20/2010 1:14:53 AM   
Igard

I don't know if you're correct or not, but what you say seems feasible. Totally agree with you, crash research makes the game a bit too easy.

There are possibly several ways to improve it. Crash research should cost at least 3x as much as it does and should take a bit longer. Also research in general needs to be slowed down alot. I always play my games on the slowest setting, but still feel like it's racing along at an alarmingly inprobable rate. I feel that I don't want to retrofit my ships, because another design upgrade will be along soon. Tech trading with other empires doesn't help too.

(in reply to OberonDark)
Post #: 2
RE: Crash Research Overpowered? - 4/20/2010 1:35:26 AM   
Interesting

I disagree.

Its very balanced.

To crash the tech, you have to pay a very large sum of money, wich is balanced based on how much you still have to research in that line.

To crash the tech, you completelly stop researching ALL other lines. Everything stops!

There is also a degree of randomization in it, that you have no control over.

Crash research is not instantaneous either.

Its a situational option the player has at his disposal that is balanced by paying money and completelly stagnating the research of other areas.

Perfectly balanced.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 3
RE: Crash Research Overpowered? - 4/20/2010 1:42:59 AM   
OberonDark

quote:

ORIGINAL: Interesting

To crash the tech, you have to pay a very large sum of money, wich is balanced based on how much you still have to research in that line.

Money is, at the moment, very easy to come by at the moment. It will be fixed, but I'm sure it will still be quite easy to obtain. Crash research is still cheaper than buying the tech, even though it takes slightly longer, you get 2 advances at least, usually.

quote:

To crash the tech, you completelly stop researching ALL other lines. Everything stops!

How much would you have actually gained in that limited amount of time it takes for you to jump 2 tech levels in an area?

quote:

There is also a degree of randomization in it, that you have no control over.

True, but generally a minimum of 2 research areas early on, which is a HUGE boost.

quote:

Crash research is not instantaneous either.

Read above.

quote:

Its a situational option the player has at his disposal that is balanced by paying money and completelly stagnating the research of other areas.

It gains you nearly instantaneous access to the first hostile world colonization tech, which gives you a MASSIVE amount of new colonies to choose from. Colonies gain you money. Money gains you crash research options. Etc, etc.

(in reply to Interesting)
Post #: 4
RE: Crash Research Overpowered? - 4/20/2010 5:50:22 PM   
Druthlen

So I played a game 1400 stars 15 opponents and pretended as if crash research did not exist. A few hrs later and I was in a huge war with 3 other empires with 2 allies assisting me and it was a struggle every step of the way. I had found 3 cruisers with advance tech and these things were saving my bacon. After a few hrs of struggle I sighed and declared the game a stalemate. I restarted and crash researched nonstop. I completely automated exploration as I knew where everything was so as not to cheat and get stuff early. I OMGWTF PWNed the AI this go around. My tech was so much better then theirs. Can someone repeat? I am now on the side that crash research is ghay overpowered.

(in reply to OberonDark)
Post #: 5
RE: Crash Research Overpowered? - 4/20/2010 7:19:13 PM   
alexalexuk

I usually crash research ship building, and then build very large ships.

since money soon becomes no object, and im two tiers ahead in ship size, i then begin to build fleets upon fleets of more powerful ships than the AI

the AI doesnt adapt, and dies, one empire after another falls, and they dont adapt.

The game gets kind of boring when you simply know that anything you throw at your higher specced ships will be wiped out

(in reply to Druthlen)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Crash Research Overpowered? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI