Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rules of war

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Rules of war Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rules of war - 4/20/2010 10:16:03 PM   
Matman

Just thought to share this very interesting read.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/02/22/the_new_rules_of_war?page=full
Post #: 1
RE: Rules of war - 4/20/2010 11:13:26 PM   
Anthropoid

Interesting, but seems hyperbolic.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Matman)
Post #: 2
RE: Rules of war - 4/21/2010 12:37:48 PM   
jackx

I'll hve to object to he oblique order and Epaminondas being thrown in the same box as "hooking around", because the purpose of the former is to turn a flank by means of a "frontal" attack, not starting the battle on the enemy's flank (though obviously, if possible, this is an added advantage..)... totally different concepts, for totally different types of troops.

Similarly (and from someone who talks about "networking" so much, and should be aware of the impact of means of communication, this is huge a let-down), early modern massed close-order formations must be viewed from a point of communication, command and control, and not just massed firepower output.

Other than these objections to some of the historical analysis, it reads a bit too much like a Mr.-I-know-it-all-and-I-told-you-so rant... interesting, but probably ruining the good points it might be making with the attitude in which they're presented.

That said, to me the greatest challenge facing "western" militaries is regaining the required ruthlessness to expend lives as necessary to achieve goals, and give destruction of the enemy priority again over preservation of force.
Not going to be an easy, or popular, process, though...

< Message edited by jackx -- 4/21/2010 12:46:51 PM >

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 3
RE: Rules of war - 4/21/2010 3:42:47 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackx

That said, to me the greatest challenge facing "western" militaries is regaining the required ruthlessness to expend lives as necessary to achieve goals, and give destruction of the enemy priority again over preservation of force.
Not going to be an easy, or popular, process, though...

Totally agree....every KIA is reported on the main news in the UK. Not sure how this will go down but myself and others I've spoken to believe when you sign up you know that you may have to put your life on the line. Thats what being a soldier is all about...thats what your trained for...combat. I reckon more lorry drivers have died on the road than the amount of UK soldiers killed over the period of time they've been in Afganistan.

(in reply to jackx)
Post #: 4
RE: Rules of war - 4/21/2010 8:03:02 PM   
jackx

That's the political side of things, which is a huge factor, but also a can of worms I didn't want to open...

What I meant is the purely military/combat side of things... casualty prevention should be a secondary goal, not the main one. I'm not sure that that's still the case even before you add the political pressure to do the impossible - i.e. fight successfully without any casualties.

It'd be interesting to compile casualty statistics and averages for current engagements, and compare them to similar actions from earlier periods, along with how contemporaries rated the results...

< Message edited by jackx -- 4/21/2010 8:13:42 PM >

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: Rules of war - 4/22/2010 12:53:19 AM   
Anthropoid

quote:

it reads a bit too much like a Mr.-I-know-it-all-and-I-told-you-so rant... interesting, but probably ruining the good points it might be making with the attitude in which they're presented.

I had the exact same reaction.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to jackx)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Rules of war Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote