Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Resolution question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Across the Dnepr - Second Edition >> RE: Resolution question Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Resolution question - 4/20/2010 9:29:21 AM   
Helpless

quote:

I saw the question asked and answered. The answer could have been "YES!" it wasn't . The answer "duck and weave" ( windowed mode".

You are wrong about WITE, as I'm the one who put the code to support widescreen.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 31
RE: Resolution question - 4/20/2010 10:29:06 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant

some of the games mentioned above just take up the extra real estate of the screen.  However it's difficult to compare, say, a COTA map with an SSG map, chalk and cheese if you ask me - the COTA maps look like they were drawn with crayons on butchers paper :)

I've always been a big fan of the Close Combat maps.  They always look georgeous.

cheers

The look of the maps is beside the point...the point is CotA still looks sharp and crisp whilst BiI looks blurred and smudged...any asthetic plus points go right out the window...CotA looks a work of art compared to BiI in widescreen.

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 32
RE: Resolution question - 4/20/2010 10:30:46 AM   
wodin

well straight from Arjuna's mouth...CotA and the new Bulge game aren't stretched in widescreen....

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 33
RE: Resolution question - 4/20/2010 12:07:18 PM   
e_barkmann

never mind, nothing good can come of this

< Message edited by Chris Merchant -- 4/20/2010 12:20:50 PM >

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 34
RE: Resolution question - 4/20/2010 12:08:48 PM   
JudgeDredd

edited

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 4/20/2010 1:38:48 PM >

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 35
RE: Resolution question - 4/20/2010 9:13:04 PM   
Nebogipfel

Fast reaction 

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 36
RE: Resolution question - 4/20/2010 9:23:43 PM   
JudgeDredd

That comment doesn't really help and (smiley or not) could lead to antagonise.

He realised his post wouldn't do the conversation any good and edited it. If for nothing else, he deserves respect for that. Far too few of us ever recognise when what we say on the net is inappropriate. He did and edited his post.

He also contacted me and asked me very politely to edit my post so it did not contain his quote as he decided nothing good would come of it.

Unfortunately, as soon as you create a post, it's farmed out to the relevant subscribers of that thread. There's nothing he can do about that. He did what he could to try to keep at least one thread from derailing.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Nebogipfel)
Post #: 37
RE: Resolution question - 4/21/2010 12:22:19 AM   
Llyranor

Just a clarification re: HTTR/COTA. The 3 default non-widescreen resolutions you can choose from might look stretched on a widescreen monitor (if that's the display option you go for instead of fixed aspect ratio), but you can actually change the resolution to pretty much anything you want by simply adding '-resolution 1920x1080' (or any other resolution, that just happens to be mine) as a launch command (in the target section of properties of the shortcut launcher).

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 38
RE: Resolution question - 4/21/2010 1:23:17 AM   
Tzar007

On one hand, I agree with you guys that it's annoying that we are getting stuck with resolutions from another day and age. Indeed, most people now have flat screens often larger than 21" these days and at some point SSG will have to do something about this.

On the other hand, the problem should not be overblown either. I find that Kharkov on my 22" flat-panel displays well enough at 1680x1050. It looks like this below. It is somewhat stretched, but I don't think it's ugly or makes the game unplayable. All the text is very legible, and in fact there isn't much difference with the quality of the image. At least, that's my personal appreciation. As I mentioned in another post, for me personally the thing that bothers me most is the fact that it does not come in windowed mode.

(in reply to Llyranor)
Post #: 39
RE: Resolution question - 4/21/2010 7:57:45 AM   
wodin

I'm just used to the game not stretched on my old CRT. The game looked superb...my favourite graphics in a PC wargame...thats why I'm upset on how it looks on a widescreen....if I hadn't found the counters and map so good looking then I wouldn't be bothered about the stretched look.

(in reply to Tzar007)
Post #: 40
RE: Resolution question - 4/21/2010 7:59:39 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Llyranor

Just a clarification re: HTTR/COTA. The 3 default non-widescreen resolutions you can choose from might look stretched on a widescreen monitor (if that's the display option you go for instead of fixed aspect ratio), but you can actually change the resolution to pretty much anything you want by simply adding '-resolution 1920x1080' (or any other resolution, that just happens to be mine) as a launch command (in the target section of properties of the shortcut launcher).

I just tick the box use desktop resolution. Works great.

(in reply to Llyranor)
Post #: 41
RE: Resolution question - 4/21/2010 12:09:51 PM   
Txema

Joe 98,

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against you. I recognize you as a fellow wargamer from these forums and I know that you are probably posting this out of loyalty to SSG and the excellent wargames that they produce. But this time I sincerely think that you are doing a disservice to SSG. Your last post is completely wrong. As me and other wargamers have posted:

- The Close Combat re-releases by Matrix Games do support wide screen resolutions and without stretching the game. I have just checked it in "Close Combat: The Longest Day", that is currently installed in my computer and works properly at 1920 x 1200 resolution. It is true that the menu screens are shown at lower resolutions, but just those screens. The actual battle is played at the chosen wide screen resolution (1920 X 1200 in my case) with no stretching, allowing the player to see a much larger portion of the map at the screen when playing.

- Conquest of the Aegean do support wide screen resolutions and without stretching the game. I have just checked it in my computer using 1920 X 1200 resolution, because I have it currently installed also. As in the case of Close Combat, the battle is played at the chosen wide screen resolution (1920 X 1200 in my case) with no stretching, allowing the player to see a much larger portion of the map at the screen when playing.

- War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition does support wide sreen resolutions and without stretching the game. This has been confirmed in this thread by "BigJ62", the guy that put the code to support the wide screen resolutions in that game.

- The upcoming Grisby's War in the East will support wide screen resolutions and without stretching the game. This has been confirmed in this thread by "Helpless", the guy that put the code to support the wide screen resolutions in that game.

Please, Joe 98, verify your statements prior to posting them. You have tried to show in this thread that most of the wargames recently released don't support wide screen resolutions, and we have shown you that you were wrong in an important portion of the titles listed in your post. Then you have stated that these titles allow wide screen resolutions but only if you want to play with stretched hexes or maps. In that post you were completely wrong. The bottom line is that the majority of the wargames recently released work perfectly in wide screen resolutions and a lot of customers are expecting that the new releases by SSG will work also properly in those resolutions, to provide crisp and clear graphics and a larger portion of the map displayed in the screen at a given time. I think that SSG should recognize that adding support for higher resolutions and wide screens must be a high priority for them because a lot of customers are asking for it and a lot of wargames are already offering it, and because their admittedly very good games deserve it !!!

SSG, please listen to your customers....

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 42
RE: Resolution question - 4/21/2010 1:10:14 PM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
Joe98 how come then CotA looks exactly the same on my widescreen and my old CRT and yet BiI looks terrible?

I have now learnt that most do not understand "screen resolution".

I have a CRT monitor that measures 19". It is a square screen that measures 28cm x 28cm

A few years ago I bought a 22" widescreen monitor. It measues 28cm high by (whatever) wide.

If I run Bttles in Italy ("BiI") , it looks EXACTLY THE SAME on both monitors. No difference!

Therefore I dont understand Wodin's comment above which I interpret as:

quote:

BiI looks wonderful on my old CRT and on my widescreen looks terrible.

-

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 43
RE: Resolution question - 4/21/2010 1:21:17 PM   
JudgeDredd

Joe - do you have black lines down the sides of your map area?

If I'm not mistaken, it could be that some people run it in a mode where it's not stretched (like you) but have black lines up the sides. On the other hand people might be running the game in another resolution which makes it look stretched (as Tzar007 has shown).

I don't know, as I only have a 17" flat panel and the game looks amazing. I'll give it a try at work tomorrow as I have a 22" monitor at work.

But I think what wodin and others are alluding to is that SSG should (in 2010) be providing games which can use all the real estate on widescreen monitors without black lines down the sides and without the stretching seen in Tzar007s screen shot.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 44
RE: Resolution question - 4/21/2010 1:23:07 PM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tzar007

At screen resolutiuon 1680 x 1050

If anybody is seeing a stretched screen like the one above you need to "tick the box" in youre graphics software.

BTW the screen resolution on my widescreen monitor is 1680 x 1050 and I do not see the stretched screen above!

(in reply to Tzar007)
Post #: 45
RE: Resolution question - 4/21/2010 2:39:57 PM   
JudgeDredd

Can you show a screenie of the game running on your widescreen

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 46
RE: Resolution question - 4/21/2010 6:01:02 PM   
Nebogipfel

hi judge,

don´t take it wrong.
If someone does like Chris, he has my respect too.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 47
RE: Resolution question - 4/21/2010 8:19:45 PM   
Llyranor

Yeah, you can make the SSG games look normal/unstretched at widescreen resolutions by using 'fixed aspect ratio' as a display option (which is why I do - I really dislike the stretched look), but the black bars are quite a waste of space.

(in reply to Nebogipfel)
Post #: 48
RE: Resolution question - 4/21/2010 8:39:51 PM   
JudgeDredd

So there are black bars at the sides? Which is what I think the people complaining about the res are on about - they have two options...utilise the entire space by stretching and therefore see the ugliness as shown above (and I would agree with that), or don't have it stretched, but lose all that nice valuable real estate on your screen and see a couple of ugly black bars down the sides.

Personally I have no problem with the black bars and would rather have that than the stretched look...however, I don't have a wide screen and therefore can't really justify my statement as I don't suffer from either issue.

Being a programmer I do understand about screen real estate and the differences, and I can guess what must be involved for a game company to produce a 2D map which covers all resolutions without looking stretched and ugly or having black bars down the sides...but we are in 2010 now and wide screen monitors are becoming the norm...so I agree with the view above that SSG should perhaps make this a priority task in the future.

However - my overall view is that the games are stupendous.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Llyranor)
Post #: 49
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 12:52:53 AM   
TargAK

These are the most common aspect rations.

•640x480 = 4:3
•720x480 = 15:10
•720x576 = 5:4
•800x600 = 4:3
•848x480 = 16:9
•960x600 = 16:10
•1024x600 = 17:10
•1024x768 = 4:3
•1152x864 = 4:3
•1280x720 = 16:9
•1280x768 = 15:9
•1280x800 = 16:10
•1280x960 = 4:3
•1280x1024 = 5:4
•1360x768 = 16:9
•1440x900 = 16:10
•1680x1050 = 16:10
•1920x1080 = 16:9
•1920x1200 = 16:10

Adding support for 16:9 and 16:10 would fill the gap. Heck just adding support for 16:10 would fix this for most users.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 50
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 1:49:47 AM   
Tzar007

By Jove, we keep learning new tricks here. Never tried that before, but I went into the NVIDIA panel and checked the "fixed-aspect ratio" checkbox as suggested. Now Kharkov displays standard, not with the stretched look I've shown above. But as Judge Dredd and Llyranor mentions, I now have hefty black bars on each side of the screen (both probably occupies 20% of the screen). That's a terrible waste of real estate.

And you know what ? I have been playing for so many hours and hours with the "stretched" look that the regular looks funny now 

It's somewhat cleaner since proportions are better kept, but everything is smaller too: the icons, the fonts, etc. I almost need to squint at the screen.

I am undecided which look I prefer. I guess I could use both.

(in reply to TargAK)
Post #: 51
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 7:51:06 AM   
wodin

Well if the game looks the same on a 19inch crt and a 19inch widescreen I must be tripping....I never tried it with black lines down the side...maybe this should be mentioned in the manual so people know how to use it.

Joe98 I've always liked you but it would be nice if you admit you are wrong about the other games....you implied they are all stretched and as the developers of the games have stated they are not on widescreen monitors and you don't need to have black lines down the side of the screen to stop them being stretched.

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/22/2010 7:54:17 AM >

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 52
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 10:48:21 AM   
strategicu

You are right. I bought the best sony-vaio (laptop) and I am desperate vith the game ... Matrix, come on and add the support for 16:9

(in reply to TargAK)
Post #: 53
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 11:03:02 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: strategicu

You are right. I bought the best sony-vaio (laptop) and I am desperate vith the game ... Matrix, come on and add the support for 16:9

tbh if you bought a Sony Vaio, then least of your worries should be the resolution of a game!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to strategicu)
Post #: 54
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 1:10:15 PM   
Fred98

quote:

but it would be nice if you admit you are wrong about the other games....you implied they are all stretched and as the developers of the games have stated they are not on widescreen monitors and you don't need to have black lines down the side of the screen to stop them being stretched.

I admit I am wrong about COTA. I installed it again and checked

I have not re-installed WITP.

I am right about Close combat Longest Day

-

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 55
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 1:13:31 PM   
Fred98

JD is right about the "Black Bars" as he calls them.

Here is what I see. The screen shot has lot a lot of clarity but note the hexes are not stretched:

Anothere thing to note: compare the hexes in the screen shot with the hex in my avatr. The lines are straight and not jagged.

-

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 56
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 1:27:04 PM   
Fred98

quote:

.....maybe this should be mentioned in the manual so people know how to use it.

The issue does not fall within the game. The issue is with you're monitor and graphics card.

Before I bought my wide screen monitor, I asked in every game forum whether that game was compatible with a widescreen monitor. Every case was "YES"

However, just like Kharkov, it turned out to be "NO". Every game was stretched.

As I asked in every wargame forum how could it be stretched and I got no response and I finally got the answer on a computing forum. Tick the box in youre graphics cards software.

And so every wargame playes as a box 29cm x 29cm. Until I recently got War in Europe, This was designed for wide scren and fills the wide screen.

With SSG, I have complained that the graphics should use a higher resolution. I have complained that the game should fill a widescreen. The issues of higher resolution and of widescreen ore separate issues but always get confused.

PS: I have an old FPS that also sits in a square 29cm x 29cm. The develper brought out a new version and it fills a widescreen. So I know the difference betwen a sqare screen and a native widescreen game.

-

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 57
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 2:07:07 PM   
Fred98

I just did some testing. My monitor officially a 22” wide screen monitor. It measures 29cm high by 47cm wide

Various screen sizes are as follows:

Kharkov: 29cm by 29cm Has black bars.

WITP AE: 29cm by 39cm Technically the developer is correct that it supports wide screen. But is not 47cm wide and therefore has black bars

Close Combat The Longest Day: 29cm by 37cm. Technically it has wide screen. But is not 47cm wide and therefore has black bars

Note they all have black bars. My memory is correct they all have black bars. I had made an assumption they were all 29cm by 29cm. I should not have assumed.

But none actually fill the screen !

-

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 58
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 5:46:58 PM   
JameyCribbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

Close Combat The Longest Day: 29cm by 37cm. Technically it has wide screen. But is not 47cm wide and therefore has black bars

Then you are doing something wrong, because I own this game and it positively works with my 1440x900 widescreen LCD monitor without stretching or black bars.

Jamey

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 59
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 6:04:58 PM   
wodin

CotA fills the screen and isnt stretched....War in the East from what the developer says isnt stretched and no black bars.

My last post on the matter....just going around in circles.

(in reply to JameyCribbs)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Across the Dnepr - Second Edition >> RE: Resolution question Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI