Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rebellion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Rebellion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rebellion - 4/22/2010 5:33:58 AM   
concern

Under what circumstances do colonies rebel and how do you quash the rebellion?

I just changed my government type from Republic to Feudalism, to reduce my fleet maintenance. My capital planet then rebels effectively hamstringing my economy. I am playing an agressive race, so why would this happen and how can I avoid it?

Is it simply too much trouble to change government type?

Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Rebellion - 4/22/2010 7:02:40 AM   
Krelos

Colonies rebel when they are sufficiently unhappy.
I've never had it happen from switching my government, but I do always check to see how happy my colonies are first.

(in reply to concern)
Post #: 2
RE: Rebellion - 4/22/2010 10:40:06 AM   
Sliverine

usually on automation, the tax set to the capital is so high that at later stages in the game the capital will get progressively unhappy but not to the point of rebellion. When you changed government types to feudalism (which by nature already adds a certain penalty on happiness), that probably pushed your already strained happiness on your capital below its limit, hence resulting in a rebellion. 

(in reply to Krelos)
Post #: 3
RE: Rebellion - 4/22/2010 10:49:51 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Krelos

Colonies rebel when they are sufficiently unhappy.
I've never had it happen from switching my government, but I do always check to see how happy my colonies are first.

it kind of depends on the switch too... I switched from monarchy to path of darkness... civil war.
I switched to way of ancients from several types and nothing... if anything people got happier.

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to Krelos)
Post #: 4
RE: Rebellion - 4/22/2010 11:01:28 AM   
Sliverine

to be more specific, it depends on whether the government type you are switching to has a negative modifier on happiness, because then that will take effect immediately.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 5
RE: Rebellion - 4/23/2010 12:27:39 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sliverine

to be more specific, it depends on whether the government type you are switching to has a negative modifier on happiness, because then that will take effect immediately.

and if it improves happiness... well, everyone is happy :P

(in reply to Sliverine)
Post #: 6
RE: Rebellion - 4/23/2010 12:40:29 AM   
concern

Ok I think that must have been my problem. The AI does drive the tax rate right to the edge of happiness, so the change to feudalism kicked it over.

What can you do with a colony in rebellion? Just drop the tax rate and wait for them to get happy again?

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 7
RE: Rebellion - 4/23/2010 12:51:07 AM   
Astorax

umm, from what I can gather ...wait for it to flip and invade with some "just happen to be hanging out in orbit" troop transports.

Heh.

(in reply to concern)
Post #: 8
RE: Rebellion - 4/23/2010 12:56:28 AM   
taltamir

rebelling colonies are PITA.. there is very little you can do... dropping the tax rate only helps UNTIL they start rebelling... building a spaceport isn't fast enough, and I think don't progress in a rebelling colony.

Best way I found was to make peace and eliminate war weariness as well as the "you are at war with our race" unhappiness mod.

if you want to switch governments to a less happy one try the following:
1. end all wars.
2. disable AI tax control
3. go to colony screen, sort by happiness, set the tax to zero... wait for a bit until it takes effect and you see colonies are all happy as pie.
4. switch governments.

First you lower taxes, THEN you make yourself dictator... not the other way around :P. ("hilariously", this is how it happens IRL too)

< Message edited by taltamir -- 4/23/2010 12:57:22 AM >

(in reply to Astorax)
Post #: 9
RE: Rebellion - 4/23/2010 11:58:52 AM   
Drusek

I'm pretty sure rebelling when changing governments is hard-coded. I wanted to change from democracy to way of darkness and out of my 50 colonies 7-10 were rebelling at all tries. I manually set all taxes to 0 and had like 150-250 happiness on all planets then changed - same rebelling effect.
Changing from democracy to republic doesn't cause rebellion.
Changing to monarchy or feudalism caused 3 of my colonies to rebel.
Changing then from monarchy to way of darkness took 6 more - so 9 in total.
It was with that Arachnid (spider-like) race (doesn't remember the name) and I was with 3 wars.

I remember when I played that jedi-like ;) race i could change from that merchant government to way of darkness w/o any rebellion. But I hadn't any wars. I also got many colonies and multi races on them.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 10
RE: Rebellion - 4/23/2010 1:21:50 PM   
Erik Rutins

There is a pretty big effect depending on what you are switching to, but existing happiness should help. Way of Darkness is a pretty major switch though.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Drusek)
Post #: 11
RE: Rebellion - 4/23/2010 4:48:19 PM   
Fishman

The other problem is that the auto-tax AI doesn't take the new government into account, and still has everything set to the old levels, which are now unacceptable: You have to go and manually zero all the taxes yourself before doing the switch, very annoying. Also, Way of Darkness sucks and needs a boost: Pretty much all the benefits are inferior to Ancients. Even if you're engaged in an endless war, Ancients is still better, because the happiness boost is better than the minor war weariness reduction and the cash boost is better than the maintenance cost reduction. In theory, Way of Darkness should be the ideal government for me, because I end up going for Total War Against All, but even I think it sucks, so...it has no real selling points. The major perk of Total War Against All is that freighter efficiency is greatly improved because they aren't traipsing off into the ass end of nowhere and getting attacked by random crap, and also, you never accidentally shoot the wrong ship. No need to remember which of the 19 other identical-looking colors you happen to be at war with today: If it ain't yours, you shoot it.

< Message edited by Fishman -- 4/23/2010 4:54:26 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 12
RE: Rebellion - 4/23/2010 7:05:45 PM   
Sliverine

it should be implemented such that when a player switches government types, taxes are all automatically set to half of their original value as a buffer.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 13
RE: Rebellion - 4/23/2010 8:55:23 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drusek

I'm pretty sure rebelling when changing governments is hard-coded. I wanted to change from democracy to way of darkness and out of my 50 colonies 7-10 were rebelling at all tries. I manually set all taxes to 0 and had like 150-250 happiness on all planets then changed - same rebelling effect.
Changing from democracy to republic doesn't cause rebellion.
Changing to monarchy or feudalism caused 3 of my colonies to rebel.
Changing then from monarchy to way of darkness took 6 more - so 9 in total.
It was with that Arachnid (spider-like) race (doesn't remember the name) and I was with 3 wars.

I remember when I played that jedi-like ;) race i could change from that merchant government to way of darkness w/o any rebellion. But I hadn't any wars. I also got many colonies and multi races on them.

This means it helped, a lot...
when I changed my human monarchy to way of darkness I had immediate civil war with 60/300 planets splitting off to form their own empire, at war with me. AND another 120 or so went into rebellion after that (because the humans were upset i was at war with their race).

(in reply to Drusek)
Post #: 14
RE: Rebellion - 4/24/2010 7:11:22 AM   
Pocus

I don't understand though why garrisoning a rebellious planet with loyal troops (i.e if I'm Human and my human homeworld shows that the human are very happy) is not reducing discontent? Surely martial law still exists in the future? 

AGEOD Team

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 15
RE: Rebellion - 4/24/2010 7:20:15 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pocus

I don't understand though why garrisoning a rebellious planet with loyal troops (i.e if I'm Human and my human homeworld shows that the human are very happy) is not reducing discontent? Surely martial law still exists in the future? 

Worse, when the planet rebels... ALL your loyal troops just garrisoned there? they join the enemy... so do local merchant ships and planetary space port.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Rebellion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI