Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supreme Ruler 2020 gold

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Supreme Ruler 2020 gold Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supreme Ruler 2020 gold - 4/25/2010 2:32:01 PM   
goodwoodrw

is this game worth a look? sick of waiting for MH2!

Formerly Goodwood

Post #: 1
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020 gold - 4/25/2010 3:01:25 PM   
D.Ilse

I don't know but now I feel if a game is in store, either Big Box like Bestbuy or MegaRetailer Walmart/Target it's crap or going so buggy it's not worth the 39.99 plopped out to buy it.

I miss, oh so miss the days of WaldenSoftware circa 1996, when good PC games like CloseCombat 2, Xwing, Tie Fighter, 1942 PAW, and Aces could be picked up at the local mall in a afternoon..not to forget East Front, black Isle's classics and all that also.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 2
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020 gold - 4/25/2010 4:32:56 PM   
mllange

quote:

ORIGINAL: D.Ilse

I don't know but now I feel if a game is in store, either Big Box like Bestbuy or MegaRetailer Walmart/Target it's crap or going so buggy it's not worth the 39.99 plopped out to buy it.

I miss, oh so miss the days of WaldenSoftware circa 1996, when good PC games like CloseCombat 2, Xwing, Tie Fighter, 1942 PAW, and Aces could be picked up at the local mall in a afternoon..not to forget East Front, black Isle's classics and all that also.

Which is exactly why gog.com is the best value going today. MOO1 & MOO2 combined for $4.99? Compare to $30-50 for a new title with a fraction of the innovation, polish and finesse (not to mention good old fashioned gameplay). For the same money I could pick up 6 - 10 quality, proven titles on GOG that would provide years of enjoyment, instead of a few days of distraction.

Instead of SR 2020 gold (which I own - it's not as good as SR 2010 in many ways) - pick up M.A.X. 1 & 2 for $4.99 on GOG. One of the best strategy titles ever! You won't regret it.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/m_a_x_m_a_x_2

< Message edited by nim8or -- 4/25/2010 4:36:30 PM >

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 3
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020 gold - 4/25/2010 6:19:19 PM   
D.Ilse

wow, I remember ads for M.A.X. back when PC gamer...back when PCgamer was readable, unlike now which is geared for the Flash-bang FPS crowd, who need more eye candy than plot in their entertainment.

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 4
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020 gold - 4/25/2010 7:52:42 PM   
Lützow

Purchased SR 2020 last year and hated it due to the RTS style combat system. The developers obviously never played a wargame.

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 5
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020 gold - 4/25/2010 8:37:43 PM   
doomtrader

I've a lot of fun with SR 2010, and I did bought 2020 just after the release, but I was not able to get into it.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 6
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020 gold - 4/26/2010 2:18:43 AM   
jomni

Bought it but never really gotten into it.  It's a difficult game to play.
For gepolitical games, I prefer that they make it turn based or make it simpler (less micro management).

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 7
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020 gold - 4/26/2010 6:37:12 AM   
lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: D.Ilse

Yes I miss those days too, with games like M1 Abrams Tank Sim, F117, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe getting them from stores like Egghead Softwhere, and Softwhere Etc.

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 8
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020 gold - 4/26/2010 10:04:05 AM   
Nebogipfel

If you are interested in geo-political sims, you won´t find a better game.

But as mentioned before, it´s a bit difficult to get in in and you need a lot of time. Because of the real time management, simply building some basic structures needs time.

Threse´s a demo out, maybe you give it a try.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 9
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020 gold - 4/26/2010 8:12:54 PM   
NefariousKoel

I never really even played SR2010 because the one I bought had Starforce on it... right after my DVD burner was damaged from using SH3 with Starforce on it. 

(in reply to Nebogipfel)
Post #: 10
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020 gold - 4/26/2010 9:30:45 PM   
Lützow

I did not find it difficult to get in. But after mastering economy, the most fun part of SR2020, it became boring. Diplomacy is poor implemented and so is combat. Likewise the AI was not able to launch sea invasions and on top of it the developers admitted, they rather wanted to cater the main stream audience (seriously!) than wargamers. I pretty dislike the attidude of Battle Goat.

Anyway, if you own the game and struggle with the mechanics, just pick Australia.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 11
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020 gold - 4/26/2010 10:04:40 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

I did not find it difficult to get in. But after mastering economy, the most fun part of SR2020, it became boring. Diplomacy is poor implemented and so is combat. Likewise the AI was not able to launch sea invasions and on top of it the developers admitted, they rather wanted to cater the main stream audience (seriously!) than wargamers. I pretty dislike the attidude of Battle Goat.

Anyway, if you own the game and struggle with the mechanics, just pick Australia.

Gotta tell ya, I'd focus on the main stream audience, too...that tends to equal more sales.

I never played 2020, but do own 2010. It isn't bad...I actually like the task of running the country. It all falls apart when war breaks out, though. Suddenly the President of the nation has to issue orders to every individual unit because the AI is useless...ugh.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 12
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020 gold - 4/26/2010 10:25:09 PM   
Lützow

Well, I can deliver a complex system with poor visuals, i.e. Harpoon ANW, or a state-of-the-art engine like Command & Conquer, with oversimplified gameplay. Unfortunately Battle Goat took the worst of both worlds and I doubt that they sold a considerable amount of copies.

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 13
RE: Supreme Ruler 2020 gold - 4/27/2010 8:55:32 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

Well, I can deliver a complex system with poor visuals, i.e. Harpoon ANW, or a state-of-the-art engine like Command & Conquer, with oversimplified gameplay. Unfortunately Battle Goat took the worst of both worlds and I doubt that they sold a considerable amount of copies.

Lol! Okay, I can't really disagree with your overall look at SR2020.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Supreme Ruler 2020 gold Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI