Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 3:31:17 PM   
Erik Rutins

Note that your colony revenue is already modified heavily by your development and your compliance and ability to bear higher taxes is modified by the population's happiness. Interdicting trade routes and destroying local space ports and blockading worlds will create a pretty big economic hit already.

I agree that there's a lot more we can do in the future, but first we have to balance what we already have. I think 1.0.4 Beta 4 does a pretty good job of that based on my experience and most of the feedback so far. The main thing we could improve with the existing system is to add a slider that modifies some of these limiting factors to make economic success easier or harder depending on a player's skill level or playstyle preference. I think it might also make sense to start out the homeworlds with a bit less population on the default settings.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 61
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 3:37:54 PM   
jscott991

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Wow, you _really_ hate corruption, Jscott.

Corruption is not going to remain a hidden value and the corruption due to distance from Capitol is actually an extremely small part of overall corruption, so getting worked up about that is fairly pointless. The advantage "core" races get from this is minimal. Corruption is also not going away, though it may go through more tweaking. While there are other things that can be done, corruption is a realistic solution to the difficulties that a government which evolved from one planet would find when trying to manage a galaxy. It might more accurately be called "Corruption and Inefficiency" as it does not strictly represent the taking of bribes or such.

I appreciate constructive criticism, so please a bit less of the "lazy" or "poor designers" talk and a bit more of the actual suggestions that you have "too many to list". We really do read and listen and if you come up with a good suggestion we will certainly use it.

It is certainly poor design to use a global, hidden value that cannot be affected by gameplay to accomplish something as vital as economic rebalancing. At no point did I ever to refer to anyone as a poor designer, but I will not back off the assertion that corruption (like anything else that is global and unchangeable) is a shortcut.

And it doesn't matter what you call it or even if we can see the value: as long as players are not able to affect it, it will remain a very suboptimal way to influence the economy.

Governmental inefficiency is also vastly overstated. The true reason large, settled empires tend to become financial quagmires is social spending becomes a larger and larger part of any nation's budget. This, in fact, is the ideal way to take money out of the game, but is probably too radical of a reform to suggest. But if you had a system where larger, developed economies demanded social spending over time, this would take money out of the treasury and limit the size of fleets or whatever you are trying to accomplish by reducing economic growth.

And if distance from the capital isn't a major part of the corruption formula, why even introduce something that would force players to even consider a gamey move, like moving their capital? Why even force that situation? If the advantage to deep core races is small, what's the point of them having an advantage at all? Simply take that dynamic out of the formula.

If you don't like the idea of increasing tech/component costs over time (which I think is the most elegant way to accomplish the same thing you're trying to do, while giving the player some measure of control over the degree that this cash sinkhole will actually operate), there are other possible solutions. Everything in the game is built around the economy, so I don't see why tweaking it required using corruption to begin with.

1. Introduce social spending

2. Increase the cost of crash research

3. Radically increase the effect of tax rates on happiness on undeveloped worlds (essentially making it impossible to tax undeveloped economies). This would simulate 18th century colonialism, where colonies paid no taxes, but also received virtually no government assistance or support.

4. Reduce what aliens will pay for tech (this is a silly part of the game anyway and makes many of your economic changes kind of pointless; personally, I refuse to sell tech to aliens as a means of self-balancing v. the AI).

5. Reduce income from trade (this only affects middle and later empires, though I personally believe trade is too small right now as is).

This is just off the top of my head. The increased tech costs is the way I would go, but I still think if you worked to limit the exploits, people would have far less cash and this would be less of an issue anyway.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 62
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 3:43:45 PM   
cmdrnarrain

Love the improvements.

Love the pop-up %'s on resources in the exploration screen.  Loved the construction queuing system as it works much better then before, its still not perfect but better.  

Early economy seems easy, but I think it was because I previously conditioned not build many ships.  I now actually have funding to build a fleet.  Hopefully the extra funding will help the AI make stronger empires. 

Did see the error when trying to patrol a system.  I also noticed a lot more colonies then before.   Love the improvements, but please keep them coming.   

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 63
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 3:48:35 PM   
Spacecadet

I think maintenance costs are too high as it is.
When it cost almost as much in yearly maintenance as it does to build a newer model, or it's cheaper to scrap a ship than repair it, then somethings not quite right.
It's working though, so leave it as is, definitely don't increase it.

I agree that trade revenue seems a bit on the light side too.

< Message edited by Spacecadet -- 4/29/2010 3:52:17 PM >

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 64
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 3:52:04 PM   
Bartje

Yes, I've never seen high trade revenue either.

How does trade revenue figure in our income? Through civilian / private income?

We only get money from trade tarrifs right? So Freetrade should make our civilians richer and that in turn means that they'll pay more taxes per %.

It might be a good idea to be able to see how important trade with a certain empire is to the civilian economy however.

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 65
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 3:52:35 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: jscott991
Governmental inefficiency is also vastly overstated.

We will have to agree to disagree on that score.

quote:

The true reason large, settled empires tend to become financial quagmires is social spending becomes a larger and larger part of any nation's budget. This, in fact, is the ideal way to take money out of the game, but is probably too radical of a reform to suggest. But if you had a system where larger, developed economies demanded social spending over time, this would take money out of the treasury and limit the size of fleets or whatever you are trying to accomplish by reducing economic growth.

That's actually part of what "corruption" currently represents. That's why larger, more developed planets have more local "corruption". It represents the overall inefficiency in the system. More developed colonies are willing to tolerate higher taxes in the current system, but at the same time they have more inefficiency as far as how much of their revenue is actual "profit" at the galactic level, per capita.

Seriously, what you are suggesting is what we are already trying to model through corruption. While you would change the name, we're folding that into the same concept and your suggestion would also be a global "shortcut" to reduce the economy of developed worlds.

quote:

And if distance from the capital isn't a major part of the corruption formula, why even introduce something that would force players to even consider a gamey move, like moving their capital? Why even force that situation? If the advantage to deep core races is small, what's the point of them having an advantage at all? Simply take that dynamic out of the formula.

Because it's realistic. You brought up the modern-day example of moving the Capitol from DC to St. Louis, but that's a false analogy. It doesn't take a month at best travel speed to get from DC to St. Louis. In DW terms that would be moving the capitol from one planet in a system to another. A better analogy might be the ancient Roman Empire where travel time was more equivalent to a large galaxy-spanning empire in DW and local governnors got away with quite a bit as a result.

quote:

If you don't like the idea of increasing tech/component costs over time (which I think is the most elegant way to accomplish the same thing you're trying to do, while giving the player some measure of control over the degree that this cash sinkhole will actually operate), there are other possible solutions. Everything in the game is built around the economy, so I don't see why tweaking it required using corruption to begin with.

I actually like the idea of increasing tech/component cost (it already does to a degree).

quote:

1. Introduce social spending

Already modeled as part of corruption.

quote:

2. Increase the cost of crash research

I'm not sure this would have more than a minimal effect, to be honest.

quote:

3. Radically increase the effect of tax rates on happiness on undeveloped worlds (essentially making it impossible to tax undeveloped economies). This would simulate 18th century colonialism, where colonies paid no taxes, but also received virtually no government assistance or support.

That was already done in 1.0.4 Beta 4 actually.

quote:

4. Reduce what aliens will pay for tech (this is a silly part of the game anyway and makes many of your economic changes kind of pointless; personally, I refuse to sell tech to aliens as a means of self-balancing v. the AI).

That was already done in the 1.0.4 Betas as well, they will now pay much less for your tech than they expect you to pay to buy the same tech from them, though many things can modify this.

I agree though that there's a lot that can be improved in terms of what tech can be traded and what advantages is gained from tech trading and discoveries.

quote:

5. Reduce income from trade (this only affects middle and later empires, though I personally believe trade is too small right now as is).

I think income from trade is also a minor part of the economic puzzle. If anything, we should try to increase it. If we eliminated trade and made crash research 10x more expensive, I don't think it would have any real effect on reigning in the economy as it was in 1.0.3, whereas the current system works.

Increasing component/maintenance cost is already in to some degree with the intention that as resource demand increases in the late game and wars cause more economic disruption, the maintenance cost of the same ship should go up as well and some rare component resources should be more expensive. This is the real cost of components in DW, it's not as easy as in some games where you just set a fixed cost, here a lot is related to how your economy is functioning.

We've been removing and balancing exploits since release as well, I agree that the more we do here the better, though some of this is player responsibility as well as pretty much every 4x game is exploitable to some degree.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 66
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 3:55:18 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bartje
Yes, I've never seen high trade revenue either.
How does trade revenue figure in our income? Through civilian / private income?
We only get money from trade tarrifs right? So Freetrade should make our civilians richer and that in turn means that they'll pay more taxes per %.

It does happen. Your own direct trade revenue depends on the kind of trade agreement and how long it has been in place. Mutual Defense agreements, for example, provide more direct trade revenue than Free Trade agreements. Trade in general has a huge impact on your private sector though and you get the indirect benefits of that as they build more ships and bring more resources to your colonies. It's hard to measure outside of the direct revenue though.

quote:

It might be a good idea to be able to see how important trade with a certain empire is to the civilian economy however.

Agreed, it's just quite hard to measure, as noted above. Giving more info on what resources and how much trade you are getting from each alien race is one of the things we'd like to do.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 67
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 3:57:26 PM   
jscott991

I wasn't too clear on my social spending idea.

I intended the player to have some control over it. Reducing and increasing it would affect happiness, giving the player some visible means of tracking this expense.

I won't harp on this. It is more of a philosophical disagreement than, perhaps, a practical disagreement.

Eventually, I believe the game would benefit from being more open about corruption and allowing the player to influence the level of it.

A global value is simply odd, considering the divergent government and racial types the game purports to represent (which is another issue altogether).

Thank you for your responses. Don't listen to the people who want a harder economy. :)

Post #: 68
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 3:59:46 PM   
Bartje

The game would certainly benefit from disclosing what corruption is and how it affects the Empire.

Its always a good idea to provide the details, as long as they're structured and easy to read / understand.

The fact that social spending is already part of corruption identifies it as governmental inneficiency, something we didn't know / see before. (is this in the galactopedia already?)

Your doing good, this a lovely rough gem of a game!

< Message edited by Bartje -- 4/29/2010 4:01:50 PM >

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 69
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 4:00:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

A global value is simply odd, considering the divergent government and racial types the game purports to represent (which is another issue altogether).

The race and government modifiers affect the corruption values though, so corruption for some combinations will be much greater than others.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 70
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 4:28:40 PM   
hondo1375

I think what corruption in games like this tries to model is the increasing difficulty, with increasing organisational size, of aligning management in that organisation with the directions given out from the leader. The resources available to the leader (you, in DW) to fund activities you see fit reduces for each incremental unit of resource the empire gains. Although corruption, as strictly understood, and bureaucratic or transactional inefficiencies are part of it (although an argument could also be made here for increased efficiencies due to scale in other areas), in organisations in general it is usually that local managers (particularly distant ones) divert resources to programmes they think worthwhile, use resources to build their own influence in a variety of ways, or do not agree with central policy and attempt to derail it in a variety of ways. I think this strategic misalignment is the overall drag that you, the ruler, experience as diminishing returns for each additional unit of resource your empire acquires. That's how I rationalise "corruption" anyway, since I really don't like it in games either. ;)

First wargame: Jedko's 1st edition "The Russian Campaign". First computer wargame: don't remember the name, but it was on punch cards.

Post #: 71
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 4:34:57 PM   
murteas

While I tend to be a casual gamer over a hardcore one, I still love my deep strategy.   I have to say that I am incredibly happy with the response of Elliot and Erik to the community, and their continual improvements to game play.   

Thank you!

Now I just need more time to play.

Post #: 72
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 5:00:45 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: hondo1375
I think what corruption in games like this tries to model is the increasing difficulty, with increasing organisational size, of aligning management in that organisation with the directions given out from the leader. The resources available to the leader (you, in DW) to fund activities you see fit reduces for each incremental unit of resource the empire gains. Although corruption, as strictly understood, and bureaucratic or transactional inefficiencies are part of it (although an argument could also be made here for increased efficiencies due to scale in other areas), in organisations in general it is usually that local managers (particularly distant ones) divert resources to programmes they think worthwhile, use resources to build their own influence in a variety of ways, or do not agree with central policy and attempt to derail it in a variety of ways. I think this strategic misalignment is the overall drag that you, the ruler, experience as diminishing returns for each additional unit of resource your empire acquires. That's how I rationalise "corruption" anyway, since I really don't like it in games either. ;)

Yes, that pretty much encompasses what we call "corruption", though I'm thinking that perhaps "inefficiency" is a more generic term that might lead more folks to think about this in a larger context too.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to hondo1375)
Post #: 73
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 5:06:18 PM   
ceyan

quote:

I wasn't too clear on my social spending idea.

I intended the player to have some control over it. Reducing and increasing it would affect happiness, giving the player some visible means of tracking this expense.

I won't harp on this. It is more of a philosophical disagreement than, perhaps, a practical disagreement.

Eventually, I believe the game would benefit from being more open about corruption and allowing the player to influence the level of it.

Thank you for your responses. Don't listen to the people who want a harder economy. :)

What you want it practically already in the game. Instead of having Variable Spending (Social Spending) + Variable Profit (Tax), which would get cumbersome and to micro-managey (probably not a word) you get Static Spending (or at least no direct control) + Variable Profit. A variable spending function would have to attached to some sort of happiness modifier (even fits with the concept of social spending) which would then be offset by being able to set higher taxes for the higher you set social spending. In a Static/Variable environment, you have a static value constantly affecting your drain on income and you have to use Tax as the variable to control both your happiness and profit values.

You get exactly the same effect either way, but the Static/Variable requires less micro-management, and is easier to balance.

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 74
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 5:07:18 PM   
TheSAguy

Two things I noted with Beta 4.
A pirate that I had an alliance with attached me. That does not seem right.
When you pay the pirate protection fee or Alliance, you can shoot up their base without them retaliating. The pirates has like 8 ships just standing by as I destroyed their base. I think they started shooting once the base was destroyed, but the damage was done.

Post #: 75
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 5:10:37 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSAguy
When you pay the pirate protection fee or Alliance, you can shoot up their base without them retaliating. The pirates has like 8 ships just standing by as I destroyed their base. I think they started shooting once the base was destroyed, but the damage was done.

Thanks for the report, I thought we had fixed that in Beta 4 but it looks like it needs a bit more work.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to TheSAguy)
Post #: 76
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 6:45:16 PM   
Druthlen

I want to second jscotts idea of increase resource cost for the better tech. just take a 2010 hybrid and a 1970 truck the parts have a vastly different cost. also knowledge lvl to work on them is vastly different so the hybrid tech can demand higher wages. I also like to point out that the begining economy seems to easylowering begining pop by 5% may do the trick.

Post #: 77
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 6:57:33 PM   
drillerman

yes, also regarding pirates, I had paid them protection money but they still blew one of my bases up.

Huh?

(in reply to Druthlen)
Post #: 78
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 7:39:32 PM   
taltamir

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DarkWraith

Been playing around with the new beta. I haven't encountered any significant bugs. I think the economy is too easy again, though.

In Beta 2, the beginning of the game usually had an extremely tight budget. I always expand as fast as I possibly can, and it was normal for me to dip into the red for a bit in the beginning. The economy had a *slight* limiting effect on my expansion then, and if a war broke out the cost to get my military in shape could easily halt my expansion plans. Somewhere around mid game though, my economy would reach escape velocity, and I could throw money around like crazy because it was always coming in so fast. Half a million a year within 20 years was easy to reach.

For Beta 4, the economy seems a lot easier at the start. Still using my usual rapid expansion play style, I was never threatened with running short on money. I was even able to start buying techs almost right out of the gate (I've been playing with other races having and advanced start). My economy never seemed to really reach the ridiculous heights I saw in beta 2 (corruption, I assume?), but money was never a concern throughout the game.

I think this beta moved the mid and late game economies in the right direction, but the early game economy is too easy right now.

I vehemently disagree.

If anything, the economy in the late game in beta 4 is too contracted. The start-up economy is just about right.

I maintain that using corruption as a means to balance the late game is too rigid and limiting. It is simply a black hole that sucks cash, with the player being unable to do anything about it. It's a cheap, hidden trick that imposes "balance" (whatever the bleep that means) and limits gameplay.

If we absolutely must have reduced economic performance, I think the developers should look at ways to create this within the game's system itself; force players to make trade-offs to make more or less money, rather than simply draining money out of the economy with a shadow global value.

Also, in case people did not notice, corruption rises the further out from the capital you are. This produces a situation where empires located in the deep core are able to keep their homeworlds as their capital, whereas races on the galactic edge will probably have to move it (perhaps several times). Doesn't it seem ridiculous that a race would abandon its homeworld as its political center, especially considering that a homeworld will still have many times the population of other large colonies even deep in to the game?

Using corruption smacks of laziness, which is in complete contrast to all the other work Matrix is doing on this game.

I agree with all of it.
But mechanically, the system as implemented right now works well, both in early and late game.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bartje

Yes but in order to change it there needs to be an alternative.

Can you offer one?

1. Smaller empires who are hostile could merge to pose a credible threat to you. (could feel rather cheap)

2. You could just let empires enjoy the fruits of their hard work by becoming filthy rich... There is simply no sensible way to "balance" a 300 planet empire with a 30 planet one. Either you are being heavy handed and silly, or you are not doing enough and the bigger empire wins. Hence victory conditions (you control 30% of the galaxy, you are now unstoppable).

3. Properly enforce breeding... reproduction should have realistic rates, creating a colony ship should deduce population from the source colony, etc... this means that if you spread too quickly you will end up unable to further expand due to lack of citizens (or let them colonize more planets, but with less then the full amount of colonists the ship can carry)... this also makes war a lucrative source of new people to join your empire. (conquest... it means more tax payers)

4. you could call it tax resistance in nicer governments... dictatorships get corruption, democracies get tax resistance ("we are the richest empire in the galaxy, we can afford to pay less taxes"; although technically lower taxes stimulate the economy and produce more income for the state... meh)... monarchies get to have a little of both.... actually all have both, just in different ratios. (maybe make them add up to the same number?)... this is entirely cosmetic though.

My favorite is number 3.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 4/29/2010 7:42:36 PM >

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 79
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 11:29:00 PM   
Grotius

Erik, I agree that a larger empire should be harder to manage. One possibility might be to tweak your existing civil-war/rebellion system, which already does this to some extent. Maybe you could insert more tradeoffs and costs into this system? E.g., implement more political events that threaten to split your polity in half -- kinda like slavery in the U.S. historically, or the forces that drove apart the Soviet Union. Then give the player costly alternatives to deal with this threat. Some possibilities might include high garrison requirements to keep planets in line; or, alternatively, high subsidy requirements; or, alternatively, an option to force the unhappy planets to accept Imperial law, in exchange for an increase in ongoing corruption/waste/tax resistance; or, perhaps, granting the grumpy planets some degree of autonomy in exchange for less waste/tax resistance; or just waging a full-on civil war.

I dunno, I suppose such a system could get annoying, as the player might spend more time fending off civil war than doing anything else. Tough thing to balance. And I don't have much experience with DW's rebellion system, so maybe you already do all these things.

One other thought: if some players intensely dislike corruption, maybe have an option to toggle that off (perhaps triggering some other option, like higher garrison requirements, instead)? But I know that could be a lot of work.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 80
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/29/2010 11:38:49 PM   
vengen

I just got done playing 1.0.4.4 a dozen game years and had some issues:

1) At one system (and only at one system) independent merchant ships kept attacking my military ships. I'm assuming this is a bug as I have never encountered it before.

2) Newly recruited agents are assigned to counter intelligence missions, but only for one month. I had to cancel those assignments and reassign them to have the mission last until cancelled.

3) The game froze on my first planetary invasion. I had to cntl-alt-del out of the game. A reload fixed it and I successfully completed four planetary invasions, but then the game froze when I destroyed an enemy gas mining station.

I played as Ikkuro with Republic in a 700 star galaxy and 17 AI empires. Research speed was set to normal and starting tech level was set to basic. Expansion and size were both set to starting.

The economy seems OK - I never went into the red, and had a huge surplus (100,000+) by 12 years in. The AI empires were colonizing very well. I think they all had at least 5 colonies by year 12, plus there were at least a half a dozen AI empires that were nearly as big as mine. There were very few mixed empire systems. I think I noticed more continental and marshy planets and fewer desert, ice, volcanic and ocean planets; which should balance the size of the various empires better.

The early tech seemed too slow, it looked like it was going to take forever to get SY-200. I ended up trading for it. The pace of the tech has never been an issue with me, maybe it's the just the higher tech levels that need to be slowed down?

I also encountered two other long standing issues unrelated to 1.0.4.4: When two diplomacy messages from different empires come in rapidly, the second one automatically causes the first one to be declined. And pausing the game doesn't seems to be instantaneous, as popup messages occasionally come up while paused.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 81
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/30/2010 1:17:10 AM   
Munchies

What is the big deal about corruption? Does it hit a nerve? Perhaps someone wronged you somehow and the local police just shrugged it off? lol

I don't see a problem with corruption myself. And it IS a part of every civilization/country now and in the past.

you can't expect a planet on the other side of the galaxy, on the outer fringes of your empire, to be crime free. If I was ruling that colony, I sure as hell would think I could get away with almost anything.. and probably could.
I would sure be a rich Governor.
Especially if the colony grew extremely big and the transactions get lost in the shuffle.

Corruption is a necessary evil. Live with it or find a simpler game to occupy your spare time.

If there was no such thing as corruption, then we would now all be from Italian decent from the Roman conquest of the world. Or Greek.

(in reply to vengen)
Post #: 82
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/30/2010 1:47:45 AM   
Vedric

I identified the problem with fleet patrolling and zoom (to selected) functionality. Easy to reproduce to see what I was dealing with.

1. Start a game, fly your first few military ships to a single point for easy drag selecting. Create a fleet.

2. Drag select the new fleet and try to patrol. Doesn't work. Drag select the fleet and scroll your screen away, now try zooming to the fleet. Doesn't work. If you noticed the lower left selection panel isn't displaying complete fleet information when you select the fleet in this way. If you set your hot key for a fleet via the drag select method you will experience these problems.

3. Going into the fleet screen (F8), selecting the fleet, clicking the "select fleets" button, close the fleets window, then resetting the hot key fixes it.

4. Summary: The UI doesn't function correctly when you select multiple ships. Same if you drag select hot key multiple ships.

EDIT for clarification: Drag selecting isn't the issue. By shift selecting multiple ships the same loss of UI functionality occurs.

< Message edited by Vedric -- 4/30/2010 1:57:33 AM >

(in reply to Munchies)
Post #: 83
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/30/2010 2:04:34 AM   
toryn

My experience about 7 hours in:

1) Ship control is not working as desired whatsoever.  I brought in a fleet of three ships to destroy a pirate base.  One ship jumped in close and was brought down to 20% shields...my other ships were coming in and the ship was going to win the fight...but the AI kept taking over and ordering the ship to 'Escape the station' by jumping away.  I lost that fight because I couldn't get my ship to stay at the planet to destroy the base before the other pirate ships came in.  Manual player commands need to override the AI automation.  Another example of this was an out of fuel repair ship in a far away debris field.  It ran out of fuel and kept jumping back to refuel, even while I was repeatedly clicking on the damn thing to stay in place.  Other examples include attack runs: I order my fleet to attack a fleeing ship, instead the ships attack an incoming space creature.  Repeated clicks overrides the AI's decision to attack the space creature for about 2 seconds.  Very frustrating, this really needs to be fixed.  Fix this generally but also please include a toggle so that I can completely shut down the AI for a fleet or ship.  When you are sending in your best fleet for a big battle, you don't want the AI interfering and retreating/refueling ships that are needed for that fight.  It is very frustrating to lose because the AI retreated half your ships that had 20% shields.  I know that you can change that setting in the ship design fields, but I want to keep that setting for 90% of the time...but be able sacrifice the ship if needed to win the larger battle.

2)Ship entry into a system when exiting from hyperspace is somewhat wacky.  The ships can be clustered together but then end up entering the system on the opposite side of a planet.  This lets them get taken out piecemeal.  I'm okay with this generally but I think a tech that improves fleet jump cohesion would be a good feature.

3)Players need to be able to easily queue actions for ships.  If I have a debris field of 20 ships, I should be able to ask my constructor to repair 5 ships in a set of 5 clicks at once.  Right now I have to sit there and babysit the constructor for 20 minutes.

4)The tech gained by scrapping advanced ships from debris fields etc doesn't have a check to see if the player has already completed a tech line.  Three times last night I was given a tech boost in a field that was already fully researched...this means I just wasted that ship.  A check to ensure that the boosted field isn't already completely researched is needed here.

5)There isn't any way to tell how much armor is left on a ship.  The red bar should go down like the shield bar to let the player know how much is left on a ship...right now it is just guess work.

6)I like the economic changes.  I found I was quite close to breakeven point most of the game, I wasn't 100k in the red early on, but I wasn't 100k bloated either.  It felt about right.  Can't say about late game yet.  I like the idea of corruption/inefficiency being modeled...as it most likely leads to the end of most empires.  Probably need a way for the player to change corruption levels somehow...perhaps increased troop presence?

7) Spies need a 'repeat mission continuously' button.  Right now it is too much work for a player running the rest of the game to have to click 10 spies into sabotage missions every month for training.  Really tedious, not fun.

I think this is a great step Erik.  I have played games that were completely broken before (HOI3, MOO3) this game isn't even close.  You've really put together a gem here and I really enjoy playing it...the graphics seem timeless.  Every aspect works, it just needs some optimization and fine tuning.  As someone who makes engineers things for a living, I can tell you that once you've made something, there will be a lot of people who produce nothing that will complain...They're often times the nosiest ones.  Try to focus on the people who appreciate your work and are trying to help you make it even better.

(in reply to Munchies)
Post #: 84
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/30/2010 2:54:18 AM   
HsojVvad

quote:

ORIGINAL: vengen

3) The game froze on my first planetary invasion. I had to cntl-alt-del out of the game. A reload fixed it and I successfully completed four planetary invasions, but then the game froze when I destroyed an enemy gas mining station.

So I am not the only one with this problem then. Every time I destroy an enemy mine, or do an invasion, my game freezes. This never happened to me before in any other patch.

(in reply to vengen)
Post #: 85
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/30/2010 4:09:33 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Davor

quote:

ORIGINAL: vengen

So I am not the only one with this problem then. Every time I destroy an enemy mine, or do an invasion, my game freezes. This never happened to me before in any other patch.

Interesting... doesn't happen to me. But I do get a "freeze" whenever I open the construction menu or ships menu in a late game stage (aka, 300 planet empire).
However, this isn't really a freeze as the game just taking 30 seconds to compile the full humongous list. Letting the computer think while I go for a snack resolves those.

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 86
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/30/2010 4:27:34 AM   
HsojVvad

I guess my luck ran out. I had no freezes or crashes while others had. I have uploaded my saves, so I hope they can take a look and see if anything is wrong. It's very hard to continue the game because it seems like every time I attack sometning and I am successfull it freezes.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 87
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/30/2010 6:48:49 AM   
DarkWraith

Another night of playing. I still think the early game economy was made to be too easy. It probably shouldn't be as difficult as Beta 2 was, but maybe somewhere between now and then. But I can't argue with a slider to control this. If you guys do decide to implement that, could I ask that there be two sliders instead of one? One for the AI empires, and a separate one for the player's empire.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 88
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/30/2010 8:27:52 AM   
jam3

Pretty sure this is a bug, when I hit "copy as new" the maintenance fee on the new ship is actually increased over the old design and stays that way once saved. As best as I could check the component list has stayed exactly the same.

(in reply to DarkWraith)
Post #: 89
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! - 4/30/2010 12:10:06 PM   
Fishman

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

Interesting... doesn't happen to me. But I do get a "freeze" whenever I open the construction menu or ships menu in a late game stage (aka, 300 planet empire).

I think that particular funness happens because the game always opens the ship tab in SHOW ALL SHIPS, even though by late game, this tab display is absolutely useless because of the sheer profusion of ships in the list, instead of remembering the last filter you were looking at, which, by that point, will sure as hell NOT be "all".

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 4 Now Available! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI