Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 3/25/2010 10:09:26 PM   
aztez

I did few email exchanges with katsuragi. Well, hat off to him too. By redo he meant the rematch after this one is over.

Thus meaning the above results stands and it is an allied victory.

What I did give him (he did not ask for any mercy) though was the fact that I will not pursue his battered fleet nor I will move any subs between current location and Truk.

He can try to to intervene with his submarines though. I have plenty of ASW power with these carriers.

Basically and misunderstanding here. I will happily give him a rematch when we are done and most likely will japanese myself.

Hmmm, I must thank Dave and other forum members that have contributed on my journeys. "Lessons learned" for sure...!

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 151
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 3/25/2010 10:15:37 PM   
aztez

jrlans: As just posted there was an misunderstanding. The "redo" was an rematch once this war is over. Happy to give him that and I'am good for my word.

Maybe, it really could have gone either way. I have kept those pilots on training mode since the start of the game so they were very high in terms experience levels.

You cannot win wars without luck and this one had some. Personally this has been the most aggressive PBEM I have ever played! Amazing amount of action.. cannot say that the game vs Dave has been peaceful either.

I don't have the turn yet but most likely those squadrons are depleted. Some of them took off to Gasmata and need to be moved.

That is exactly my thoughts too. The game is far from over and a lot of action ahead. This does mean though that his expansion timeframe just got shrunken. That was the aim and it was achieved.

Eager to look at those CV's and how much was FOW. I do however have 2 RN CV's and 1 US CV entering the Pacific from Balboa as we speak so we still have significant carrier force to sail around.

As always appreciated the comments!

(in reply to jrlans)
Post #: 152
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 3/25/2010 10:27:19 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Hi aztez,

Playing as the Japanese myself and with my limited playing experience, I think you had your opponent dead to rights. I'm not familiar with two day turns, but he had a chance to see what he was up against the turn before and should have retired to fight another day. Maybe he was confident he'd come out on top, but as the results show, he guessed wrong. Commiting all the CVL's with just one CV to bolster his fleet wasn't a smart idea versus your 2 CV's and CVL, not to mention not upgrading his Claudes to Zero's. I wonder also if he expanded his carrier squadrons to their fullest capacity. You may have gotten better then expected results (I think defensive carrier CAP is too easily blown through myself), but looking at the number of DB's you had, that's a potent offensive force. The Japanese CVL's are great for picking off stragglers, but relying on them to take on full fledged American CV's is foolhardy in my opinion. It takes almost three of the CVL's to match one American carrier, so he certainly didn't outnumber you in terms of aircraft.

I think you should hold your ground to have the turn stand, as you said, you planned for this operation and your aggressiveness paid off. I think it's great you are even contemplating giving your opponent a break here in the spirit of a competitive game, but I think you deserved the outcome and play should continue. If you settle on a redo, I look forward to reading about the next battle when you do it again.

I just saw your latest post about the "rematch" misunderstanding...well done then, and kudos to your opponent for accepting the results.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 3/25/2010 10:33:15 PM >

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 153
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 3/25/2010 10:58:21 PM   
aztez

SqzMyLemon: I actually follow your journeys as japanese "samurai". I like the AAR. Mostly read about at the work so not that much time to comment on it.

Basically there is  just one big diffrence with one day and multiple day turns. Once you commit into something you better be sure you want to do this. To me that is more historical and adds flavour.

In one day turns you can micromanage yourself out of the harms way many times more.

Not going to debate which format is better. Personally I like multiple day turns much more though.

I think those "Claudes" might have something to do with Java. That place really hasn't been an vacation for them either. His Zero loss numbers are in three digits even with FOW included.

The CAP might be passed but the actual hit ratio on any ships is something else usually. Now I did obey with few tricks , the alltitude, the CAP set on few squadrons etc.

I don't know whether you have noticed this one but it is important to keep the alltitudes correct when you train. That way your pilots are doing this training correctly. Ie. you want divebombers to train low alltitude strikes and keep the alltitude meter low. Well, you most likely have noticed that too.

I always get cold feeling when these battles happen. PBEM is about trust and endurance so happy to say we are in safe waters. There is always a chance your opponent will vanish after some incident. I know Dave wohn't since he get to kick my butt years in game time!

Kudos to him surely and now we shall see how he feels about fortress Java and Bataan peninsula. I doubt he knows how prepared we are actually.

Thanks for the comments.

< Message edited by aztez -- 3/25/2010 11:01:00 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 154
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 3/26/2010 3:20:54 AM   
Graymane

can't believe you are playing another one with your old one going or is that one over now? Incredibly different start to this one eh? =)

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 155
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 3/26/2010 8:55:46 AM   
aztez

Graymane: No, the game vs erstad is very much alive.

I thought about another journey ongoing and couldn't resist of starting another AAR.

Yeah, this game is very diffrent and somehow katsuragi's aggressive playing style suits me just fine.

On an sidenote the carriers are "ok" condition. One sunk and couple damaged. I will post more about these tonight.

(in reply to Graymane)
Post #: 156
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 3/26/2010 9:15:48 AM   
aztez

The "enemy thoughts and reasons for last turns carrier battle

I did get on email and some views what happened on enemy perspective.

- His carriers were covering troop transports and battleships.
- The previous turn hit on few supply ships indicated just 2 US CV's in the area so he decieded to engage.
- The Claude's were there because fighters losses on Java has been heavy.
- Another reason for not getting damage control is 2 day turns. As said you cannot micromanage your way out of troubles so easily.

That concludes the enemy perspective on the battle of Kavieng.

Normal update tonight and that shows the damage and status of CV's etc.

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 157
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 3/26/2010 4:12:53 PM   
Graymane

I think you've shown a great example in the open phases of why you don't want to Sir Robin in the DEI.

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 158
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 3/26/2010 8:55:44 PM   
aztez

Graymane: I cannot argue with that statement. It also has been very much fun to do battle it out in DEI.

We just managed to sneak in fresh squadron of P39D's so that is welcome addition at Batavia. I know I eventually lose the battle here but the gains outweight any losses 100:1.

Very happy how things played out and another thing is that the surface fleet got to see quite a lot of action too.

Aftermath of carrier clash near Kavieng

I did get the actual turn and it was better than expected.

Only CV Lexington sunk and even her fighter and bomber squadrons mostly made it out. Some of them landed at Gasmata and are enroute to safety and others landed in diffrent carriers.

CVL Hermes is the other carrier that got mildly damaged in this battle.

All in all very good effort by our carrier force.

The SBD and Torpedo bombers took an hit but the losses are not that bad and they should recover to full strenght swiftly.

Now I decieded not to pursue the crippled japanese fleet. Instead I did turn away and sail towards south. The SBD's and Devastators are taken out of navalstrike missions and set to ASW patrol or rest mode.

I did inform this to my opponent when I send the new turn back. I could have launched 2-3 large strikes againts those japanese ships but didn't feel comfortable of doing so. The battle itself was an success even with that maneuvere. The carrier fighters are set on 80% CAP and 20% rest.

Only thing I did was to send 20 4E bombers into Port Moresby and ordered them to hit the airfield at Rabaul.

Here is an pic from the allied carriers. They are heading out to refuel now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Graymane)
Post #: 159
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 3/26/2010 9:09:04 PM   
jrlans

Good news about Lex's air groups. What are you going to do with them?  Darwin sounds like a good port of call to me if you can get them there. Otherwise they might be very usefull in training replacement USN pilots for you operating CVs.

Also good call IMHO on retiring, no sence in turring a victory into possible defeat the IJN still has BBs around and a mid ocean intercept could ruin your day.

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 160
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 3/26/2010 9:20:57 PM   
aztez

jrlans: That is also true. Those battleships did get hammered. At least not if combat.txt/replay is to be believed.

Also no need to slaughter those remaining carriers more either. I think we diid enough damage already and no need add more pain into suffering. I think I could have wiped them out if wanted. (The above risk counted)

Actually been thinking about that "dilemma". Now that his fleet is damaged we could deploy them into Darwin. Another bold option would be Port Moresby.  That would bring a lot more headaches to him too.

Only problem being the lack of solid infantry units. There are some mediocre units but those somewhat poorly equipped. Need to check the reinforcement schedules to see what is coming up.

We have now pretty much secured Fiji's and Samoa's. These places  are building up fast. Also Christmas Island is secured too. Any assaults againts these bases would be somewhat suicidal.

I also have 8 operational battleships at Hawaji. Only two remain in the docks.

These dilemmas are positive things. Also, those 2 RN + 1 US CV will link up with the remaining of our carriers. The balance in carrier power is in our favour now.

(in reply to jrlans)
Post #: 161
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 3/28/2010 6:00:26 PM   
aztez

Pacific (march 10th - 14th 1942)

Java

Soerabaja was overrun on march 13th. Allied troops managed to hold onto to the city for week before overwhelmed. There was 1400av worth of IJA troops whcih was simply too much for us.

Last turn we downed 16 Betty bombers at Batavia. This squadron was just upgraded and their range were altered to max.

I have managed to evacuate Indian 9th division, Gurka brigade and Riouw batallion from Oosthaven. These guys were heavily involved in Palembang and are now heading to India for rest and refit. This was good thing too.

Philippines

There has still been no ground offensives at Bataan. He has 35 units in the hex but is waiting for something.

Well, this suits me since I'am in no hurry to lose that base.

Other than this he is simply mopping up those smaller bases in other Philippine islands.

South Pacific

US carriers have been lurking south of Rabaul just in case he is sending transports towards south. None has been sighted and last turn CV Enterprise escaped an enemy submarine assault. In total 6 torpedoes were fired and all of them missed.

Now it is time refuel our carriers and reform these ships. We are still waiting for those 3 CV's coming into Balboa.

The build up continues here and we have strong positions in Samoa's and Fiji's.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 162
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 3/29/2010 2:06:06 PM   
Graymane

Why won't you pursue or launch on those ships? Is it simply for game play purposes so the game doesn't end in the first or second year?

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 163
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 3/29/2010 2:22:17 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

Jusat caught up here , with a free day .

OH.... Aztez . Good CV engagement and a great exchange indeed. Japans CV fleet is definately hurting and i would imagine he's not going to have 2 CV fleets any more so no worries for you with a Baby KB roaming the pacific while Main KB finishes off the DEI. Get some men into the forwar atolls/islands ASAP imo. really make him have to pay to get further into the Pac. In other words (Do a Nemo) .. emulating his success would be a very flattering outcome indeed

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to Graymane)
Post #: 164
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 4/3/2010 7:31:39 AM   
aztez

Graymane: Actually for couple reasons. Yes, I don't want this to be over by the end of first or second year.

The carnage we caused was nice though.

Another reason being that I do not want to risk my carriers yet. They were low on fuel and needed to be replenished.

Mostly because the 1st reason though. Whether this was "bad" judgement call remains to be seen.

Rob: Thanks! I think he must have maybe 2-3 CV/CVL's operational at the moment. Even those that are sunk were mauled and it is longway from Truk to Home Islands.

I must say that this helps a lot with operational planning. One must not get careless though.

There are already troops at those atolls. No freebies in this PBEM for anyone.

I have kept following Nemo's AAR and nice reading etc. We shall see how the emulation goes. This is still somewhat diffrent war.

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 165
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 4/3/2010 7:32:29 AM   
aztez

Java (march 15th - 23rd 1942)

The southern part of Java has now been lost. There was no chance of stopping that steamroller.

Last turn enemy landed additional ground units into Kalidjati. We managed to sunk 2 xAK's with our bombers. Some troops were reported destroyed with the ships.

An small surface combat was also fought near Billiton. This time japanese navy got the better end of that deal and promptly sunked US cruiser here.

Previous turn also had heavy air to air battles at Kalidjat. Both sides reported to have lost 20-30 fighters here. I think that favours me though.

There are some units marching towards Batavia. I expect the battle to start within 1-2 weeks time.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 166
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 4/3/2010 7:34:03 AM   
aztez

Pacific (march 15th - 23rd 1942)

Philippines

There has not been any ground assaults launched againts Bataan. I have +1900av prepped here and he has 1300av worth of units. I was thinking about launching an counterstrike but decieded againts it. At least for time being.

Only air and artillery bombardments to report so far.

Burma

Very quiet too. Only some reports for enemy units prepping for Magwe. This suits me though.

China

Another place that has been quiet indeed. I wonder what is he planning here or is he using this theatre of operations as an withdrawal to get more units across pacific.

I will start flying extensive recon missions here very soon.

Southern Pacific

CVL Shoho was reported to be sunk near Truk. Whether or not this is true remains to be seen.

No additional advances towars New Caledonia. Only Buna and Gasmata has been seized.

Allied bases further in the south are building as planned.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 167
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 4/3/2010 2:33:17 PM   
wpurdom

I'm curious whether the fighting for Soerabaja indeed damaged the industry there. I guess you have no way of knowing, but it would nice to know at the end from your opponent.

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 168
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 4/4/2010 7:13:59 PM   
aztez

wpurdom: I will ask once we move a bit further but took an screenshot from Java showing the industrial damage levels.

Java (march 24th - April 1st 1943)

Things have been moving ahead without any significant developments.

We have fought few air to air battles above Java. The results I would say have been 1:1 which is not that bad if you take into consideration current game date.

Last turn the battle of Batavia begun. He has moved a lot of troops here. This adds up +3000av worth of infantry and tanks.

We did ok in the 1st round of battles allthough fort level dropped to 3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Batavia (49,98)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 80814 troops, 933 guns, 464 vehicles, Assault Value = 3456

Defending force 52908 troops, 780 guns, 816 vehicles, Assault Value = 1865

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 3

Japanese adjusted assault: 976

Allied adjusted defense: 2957

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 3 (fort level 3)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(+), leaders(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
4609 casualties reported
Squads: 15 destroyed, 338 disabled
Non Combat: 20 destroyed, 248 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 58 disabled
Guns lost 8 (0 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Vehicles lost 132 (22 destroyed, 110 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
2391 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 174 disabled
Non Combat: 12 destroyed, 245 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 25 disabled
Guns lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 72 (2 destroyed, 70 disabled)

Assaulting units:
2nd Recon Regiment
1st Tank Regiment
21st/A Division
2nd Engineer Regiment
9th Division
6th Tank Regiment
Imperial Guards Division
4th Division
33rd Division
10th Division
1st Ind. Engineer Regiment
14th Division
14th Tank Regiment
5th Division
21st/B Division
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
56th Field Artillery Regiment
18th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
5th Mortar Battalion
1st RF Gun Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion
14th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
18th British Division
46th Indian Brigade
45th Indian Brigade
1st Regt Cavalerie
1st KNIL Regiment
Roodenburg Battalion
4th KNIL Regiment
7th Armoured Brigade
44th Indian Brigade
Mobiele Eenheid Battalion
Batavia Coastal Gun Battalion
1st KNIL Landstorm Battalion
B Sqn 3rd Hussars Regiment
2nd KNIL Regiment
Tjilatjap KNIL Battalion
Lijfwacht Cav Sqn
4th KNIL Landstorm Battalion
63rd Indian Brigade
ML-KNIL
78th Coast AA Regiment
Batavia Base Force
3rd KNIL AA Battalion
1st KNIL AA Battalion
77th Heavy AA Regiment
12th RAAF Base Force
MLD
35th Light AA Regiment
KNIL Army Command
Tjilitap Base Force
Bandoeng Base Force
ABDA
85th British AT Gun Regiment
48th Light AA Regiment
6th Heavy AA Regiment
21st Light AA Regiment
65th Coast AA Regiment
1 ML-KNIL Aviation
24th NZ Pioneer Coy

One could say that this is large army indeed!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wpurdom)
Post #: 169
RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... - 4/5/2010 9:06:18 AM   
aztez

Java (april 2nd - 3rd 1942)

Another bloody turn goes by at Java.

Japanese launch multiple fighter sweep missions againts Batavia. The losses add up and in the end allied aircraft down 25-40 Zero's / Oscars. In return allied losses are around 35-40 fighters.

PBY's also spot enemy battleships escorting transports heading towards Java. One merchant ship is hit and some engineers killed.

Albacore torpedo bombers score an hits on xAK and xAP near Kadjati.

In ground japanese launch another offensive againts our positions at Batavia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attacking force 93676 troops, 1064 guns, 646 vehicles, Assault Value = 3210

Defending force 51046 troops, 783 guns, 816 vehicles, Assault Value = 1731

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 663

Allied adjusted defense: 2761

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 4 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
8868 casualties reported
Squads: 32 destroyed, 476 disabled
Non Combat: 50 destroyed, 527 disabled
Engineers: 37 destroyed, 67 disabled
Guns lost 8 (1 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Vehicles lost 302 (102 destroyed, 200 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
2518 casualties reported
Squads: 53 destroyed, 56 disabled
Non Combat: 42 destroyed, 254 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
Vehicles lost 85 (1 destroyed, 84 disabled)

Assaulting units:
5th Division
2nd Engineer Regiment
1st Tank Regiment
9th Division
6th Tank Regiment
14th Division
21st/A Division
14th Tank Regiment
2nd Recon Regiment
10th Division
33rd Division
Imperial Guards Division
4th Division
21st/B Division
5th Mortar Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion
1st RF Gun Battalion

Defending units:
Roodenburg Battalion
1st Regt Cavalerie
45th Indian Brigade
Lijfwacht Cav Sqn
18th British Division
Tjilatjap KNIL Battalion
2nd KNIL Regiment
1st KNIL Regiment
4th KNIL Regiment
46th Indian Brigade
44th Indian Brigade
7th Armoured Brigade
63rd Indian Brigade
ABDA
77th Heavy AA Regiment
1st KNIL AA Battalion
ML-KNIL
Bandoeng Base Force
Tjilitap Base Force
Batavia Base Force
MLD
12th RAAF Base Force
6th Heavy AA Regiment
35th Light AA Regiment
1 ML-KNIL Aviation
KNIL Army Command
65th Coast AA Regiment
48th Light AA Regiment
78th Coast AA Regiment
21st Light AA Regiment
3rd KNIL AA Battalion
24th NZ Pioneer Coy

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 170
April 1942 - 4/5/2010 6:49:36 PM   
aztez

Java (april 4th - 7th 1942)

This area continues to be main action point at this stage of the war.

On april 4th Albacore torpedo bomber scored an hit on BB Ise. The ship is shown sunk but I doubt this report.

Last turn enemy launched yet again multiple fighter sweeps againts Batavia. Allied lost 20-25 fighters while enemy losses were 15-20 aircraft lost in combat.

I also did "fake withdrawal" of few destroyers. I know his search planes spotted them. After noticing this I turned them around and managed to intervene with enemy transports at Oosthaven.

Day Time Surface Combat, near Merak at 48,97, Range 19,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Kashii, Shell hits 1
DD Arashi
DD Arashio
DD Shinonome
DD Murakumo, Shell hits 2, heavy fires
APD Shimakaze
APD Nadakaze
xAP Kamakura Maru, Shell hits 1, on fire
xAP Buenos Aires Maru, Shell hits 1
xAP Kitano Maru, Shell hits 2, on fire
xAP Kamo Maru
xAP Kobe Maru

Allied Ships
DD Stuart, Shell hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Evertsen
DD Stronghold
DD Tenedos

Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

That went better than expected. An destroyer and couple of merchants sunk.

Japanese tried another ground offensive at Batavia too and this was repulsed with heavy casualties reported.

Attacking force 89108 troops, 1071 guns, 575 vehicles, Assault Value = 2900

Defending force 49708 troops, 787 guns, 819 vehicles, Assault Value = 1654

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 685

Allied adjusted defense: 4913

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 7 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2917 casualties reported
Squads: 19 destroyed, 159 disabled
Non Combat: 111 destroyed, 157 disabled
Engineers: 30 destroyed, 73 disabled
Guns lost 10 (3 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Vehicles lost 129 (50 destroyed, 79 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1284 casualties reported
Squads: 23 destroyed, 111 disabled
Non Combat: 9 destroyed, 170 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Guns lost 2 (0 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Vehicles lost 65 (2 destroyed, 63 disabled)

Assaulting units:
Imperial Guards Division
21st/A Division
2nd Engineer Regiment
2nd Recon Regiment
6th Tank Regiment
Miura Det
10th Division
1st Tank Regiment
9th Division
14th Tank Regiment
5th Division
33rd Division
4th Division
14th Division
21st/B Division
1st RF Gun Battalion
5th Mortar Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
4th KNIL Regiment
Lijfwacht Cav Sqn
46th Indian Brigade
1st Regt Cavalerie
1st KNIL Regiment
18th British Division
Tjilatjap KNIL Battalion
44th Indian Brigade
7th Armoured Brigade
45th Indian Brigade
2nd KNIL Regiment
63rd Indian Brigade
65th Coast AA Regiment
3rd KNIL AA Battalion
ABDA
Batavia Base Force
1st KNIL AA Battalion
Tjilitap Base Force
77th Heavy AA Regiment
78th Coast AA Regiment
6th Heavy AA Regiment
KNIL Army Command
48th Light AA Regiment
1 ML-KNIL Aviation
Bandoeng Base Force
ML-KNIL
21st Light AA Regiment
35th Light AA Regiment
MLD
12th RAAF Base Force
24th NZ Pioneer Coy

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 171
RE: April 1942 - 4/15/2010 8:44:04 PM   
aztez

Hi guys! I have been steamrolled with work duties. A bit too much to be honest and hopefully the worse is now over but you never know.

Other than that.. business as usual.

Java (april 8th - 23rd 1942)

The battle of Batavia is still ongoing. Japanese have launched several assaults and all of these have been repulsed.

At the moment IJA has +3000av worth of infantry vs +1500av worth of allied troops. The good thing is that we are still stiing behind lvl 3 forts.

In the skies though IJA has gained total airsuperiority here. There has been sweep and raids daily which have +200 fighters attacking againts Batavia. There really has not been a chance to defeat such an force.

IJN still has some cruisers operating near Batavia other than that naval operations have been toned down.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 172
RE: April 1942 - 4/15/2010 8:44:52 PM   
aztez

Luzon (april 8th - 23rd 1942)

Japanese have continued to bomb via land and air. That is good way to build up experience levels.

The fist ground assault againts Bataan was launched in 22nd of arpil 1942 and our troops repulsed the effort.

Ground combat at Bataan (78,77)

Attacking force 46724 troops, 595 guns, 642 vehicles, Assault Value = 1530

Defending force 61000 troops, 951 guns, 669 vehicles, Assault Value = 1866

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 3

Japanese adjusted assault: 572

Allied adjusted defense: 2495

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 4 (fort level 3)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
5482 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 219 disabled
Non Combat: 25 destroyed, 301 disabled
Engineers: 11 destroyed, 140 disabled
Guns lost 4 (0 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Vehicles lost 73 (6 destroyed, 67 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1438 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 113 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 80 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 19 disabled
Guns lost 1 (0 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 17 (1 destroyed, 16 disabled)

Assaulting units:
19th Ind. Engineer Regiment
Kimura Det
20th Infantry Regiment
16th Engineer Regiment
3rd Ind. Engineer Regiment
38th Division
48th Division
16th Recon Regiment
2nd Tank Regiment
21st Ind. Engineer Regiment
9th Infantry Regiment
4th Tank Regiment
20th Ind. Engineer Regiment
7th Tank Regiment
20th Ind. Mtn Gun Battalion
34th Road Const Co
33rd Road Const Co
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
15th Const Co
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
9th Field AF Construction Battalion
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
10th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
8th Field AF Construction Battalion
3rd Engineer Construction Battalion
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
14th Army
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
43rd Const Co
36th Const Co
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
56th Const Co
2nd Mortar Battalion
47th Const Co

Defending units:
31st Infantry Regiment
21st PA Infantry Division
51st PA Infantry Division
41st PA Infantry Division
71st PA Infantry Division
14th PS Engineer Regiment
194th Tank Battalion
1st PA Infantry Division
45th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
192nd Tank Battalion
91st PA Infantry Division
31st PA Infantry Division
86th PS Coastal Artillery Battalion
11th PA Infantry Division
4th Marine Regiment
Manila Bay Defenses
26th PS Cavalry Regiment
3rd/12th PA Inf Battalion
57th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
2nd PA Constabulary Division
202nd PA Construction Battalion
PAF Aviation
88th PS Field Artillery Regiment
1st PI Base Force
Far East USAAF
USAFFE
Bataan USN Base Force
Provisional GMC Grp
Cavite USN Base Force
II Philippine Corps
I Philippine Corps
Clark Field USAAF Base Force
Manila USAAF Base Force
803rd Engineer Aviation Battalion
301st Construction Battalion
Asiatic Fleet
201st PA Construction Battalion
1st USMC AA Battalion
200th & 515th Coast AA Regiment
301st PA Field Artillery Regiment

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 173
RE: April 1942 - 4/15/2010 8:45:51 PM   
aztez

China (april 8th - 23rd 1942)

The japanese offensive plans have unveiled. Last turn around 4000av worth infantry entered the hex at Changhsa.

Nothing to worry about thoughs since I have some 4000av worth of chinese there behind level 6 forts.

In southern china wuchow has been lost but no further advance has been detected.

Here is an pic from china...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 174
June 1942 - 5/4/2010 10:00:07 AM   
aztez

Pacific (april 24th - june 4th 1942)

DEI: Japanese continue their assaults againts Batavia and this has been costly for them.

My opponent is somewhat frustrated here and I can see why. Japanese have brought more than +4000av in here in order to dislodge our defense. So far they have been unsuccesfull.

The odds have been mostly 1:2 and 1:3. Allthough japanese gained 1:1 odds few turns with fresh division this however ended badly for them since they were forced shock assault 2n day too.

In all there 6-7 IJA divisions and some supporting elements assaulting our 1000av ABDA forces. We have inflicted signicant casulties and distruption to all of these units.

The japanese have complete air superiority here and I have opted not to intervene with my naval forces.

The whole Java defense has been well worth the efforts!

China: Nothing major here. IJA has some 4000av at Changhsa but have not launched any assaults as of yet.

Currently he has 5 IJA divisions operating near Wuchow and these forces have routed couple of chinese LCU's.

I'am already taking measures to deal with this operation so nothing major to worry about.

CenPac/Aleutians: Very quiet and that suits me fine. I have kept reinforcing these areas and everything is going according to the plans.

Southern Pacific/Oz: No japanese offensives here either. We still hold Darwin and Port Moresby.

Our southern bases at Fiji's and Samoa's are solid.

No sign of his navy either after the carrier clash near Rabaul. My CV's are currently at Hawaji and I'am upgrading them. Not yet decieded how to maximize these after the repairs and upgrades.

Burma/India:
I have kept flying extensive recon missions at Burma. It seems that there are just minor japanese LCU's in place.

I guess the DEI operations are sucking up his reserves and infantry units.

Luzon: We still hold the peninsula at Bataan. The supply situation is very poor but so far we have held our own.

I think he has moved some reinforcements from here into Java after it became evident that the initial landings are not going to make it there.

I would love to get some supplies here but it is impossible to achieve.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by aztez -- 5/4/2010 10:02:29 AM >

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 175
RE: June 1942 - 5/4/2010 11:20:30 PM   
jrlans

Hi, Az

The dutch are putting up a masterfull defense. Better than i would have expected. What are you doing with the extra time?  What is your forward line going to be, think you could hold Nouemea?

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 176
June 1944 - 7/7/2012 10:03:51 PM   
aztez

Pacific Recap (April 1942 - June 1944)

I thought that this AAR needs an update. The game has been ongoing and we have now reached summer of 1944.

I don't have the combat replays or such available so this recap will be from top of my head.

A lot of stuff has happened since April 1942. I guess the proper way is to go through theatre by theatre.

DEI / Java

The fortress Java defense paid off nicely. We did put up one hell of an fight there and delayed enemy advance in other areas.

This is already well documended in this AAR so need to go into further details.

China

As you can expect his has been bloody mess from day 1.

We fought big battles in Southern in China. The main axel of that massive advance was at Kweilin and Liuchow.

Both sides delivered severe blows to one another and after the dust settled in Japanese were able to capture those bases on the railroad.

However due to severe losses inflicted that offensive was halted and no breakthrough was made.

This hard fought episode was done late 1942 and early 1943's.

I felt a bit too confident after that one and neglected recon in central China.

My opponent seized the opportunity and out maneuvered my Chinese forces garrisoning Changsha.

The central China collapsed but we were able maneuvere most of our forces out before they became encircled.

Enemy forces captured Chihkiang and Changhteh. After those bases fell both sides dug into defensive positions.

It remains that way up to the date.

In Northern China there were couple of smaller advances but it became pretty obvious soon enough that no side is going to get advantage here.

All in all very action packed start. It has remained much more peaceful for an year or so now.

Burma

I think that the "fortress Java" gambit helped me here and gave me more time to get organized.

As expected Japanese forces seized Rangoon area eventually and started moving further up north.

We started solid defensive / guerilla warfare and the frontline has now been at Schwebo were both sides have large amount of units on the other sides of that river.

I think he has around 80-100 in total in Burma. Main forces are at Mandalay, The hex west of Mandalay and Magwe.

Rangoon area seems to hold substantial reinforments if needed.

Our bombers have been bombing enemy troops daily and this has led into massive air to air battles around this region.

I think in past two months both sides have lost 1000-2000 planes here. Hard to say due to FOW.

We also made strategical bombings againts Magwe oilfields and happy to say that those are now burning up.

If recon is correct there is only 50 oil prodution intact... and that is soon vaporized in total.

How will this end... well I do have plans here. Need to be smart about it though since I think he has brought extra forces here from China.

Aleutians

Japanese made no attempt in Northern Pacific. I think this was due to bigger problems in the south.

I have fortified this region so he is more than welcome to try late offensive here.

Oz / Australia

Pretty much the same. The other fights kept him busy so he "could not" start offensive here.

The Oz is now secured so I doubt he will make another run at it unless he feels complelely kamikaze.

CenPac and Southern Pacific

We left this AAR with that detailed carrier clash. Eventhough it definately was an allied victory it was not the decisive one as you will soon hear.

FOW is very intresting and annoying little feature. I think my opponent will agree on that one fact.

After that carrier clash both sides disengaged from the battle. I was feeling victorious since the sunk list seemed nice indeed.

Japanese forces did advance into Rabaul, Lae and Guadacanal but were unable to seize Port Moresby.

Both sides exchanged punches and it became an stalemate.

I'am not 100% certain of the timetable when our 2nd carrier clash happened. It was either in late 1942 or early 1943.

I did spot his carriers south of Truk and decieded to duke it out with them. The carriers from the 1st battle were repaired and few added.

As you can expect not everything went as planned. I was suprised to see way more firepower than initially expected thus FOW had been wrong.

I got short end of that encounter and Japanese forces were feeling victorius by sinking some US carriers in Southern Pacific.

This put our naval operations onhold for an 1 year. I was able to grab Solomons and New Britain (Rabaul and Gasmata captured early 1944) by summer and late 1943's via LBA cover.

In early 1944's before Rabaul fell our recon planes spotted Japanese carriers heading towards Solomons.

This was a bit unexpected allthough I know his submarines and recon planes had spotted few juicy targets in this region.

I was more than prepared for it and we had big duel with LBA aircraft and KB. It was an draw but we did torpedo couple of his Battleships which ventured a bit too far.

Pretty much right after this episode the Invasion of Marshall Islands begun. I knew his carriers were at Truk after that earlier clash.

The invasion at Marshalls went ahead nicely. All of the bases were secured with carrier and LBA cover. (I had seized Tarawa and Mili earlier)

His carriers sailed out from Truk towards Marshalls and I dashed towards them. This was our 3rd carrier clash at the game and this time we fared better off.

Our planes got couple of very nice hits and we took some damage as well. Again FOW in place so hard to say what was actually sunk but I did spot quite few CV's at Truk after this battle.

Those ships were obviously pumping water out of their hulls. My opponent stated that his intel screen had quite a few of the US carriers reported sunk and he was suprise to see them in action.

The frontline in this sector is currently Madang - Rabaul - Kavieng - Eniwetok axel.

Japanese did not make an push towards Christmas Islands, Canton Island or Fiji's. After that 1st carrier clash was repaired it was pretty much too late for him to do so.

I will post a few pics from the game and keep this updated more regularly until we reach the end of the war.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jrlans)
Post #: 177
RE: June 1944 - 7/7/2012 10:04:48 PM   
aztez

The Pacific map in June 1944...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 178
RE: June 1944 - 7/7/2012 10:05:28 PM   
aztez

Allied naval losses...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 179
RE: June 1944 - 7/7/2012 10:06:17 PM   
aztez

IJN losses...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: US carriers clash with IJN near Kavieng... Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI