Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/15/2010 2:15:12 AM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: amps1963

I'm not sure where I eluded to SPR and BOB as snuff films. I don't think either were. Out of curiosity, how would you have done the Pacific differently if you had the reins?

You didn't. You just made an assumption that for me to like The Pacific it would have to be a snuff film or documentary - even though I liked BoB & SPR just fine. So now we know that I like my war sagas well done.

Besides the obvious of casting better actors and hiring better writers, I would have aired the entire thing in a span of a couple of weeks. They waste 10 minutes at the start and 15 minutes at the end and it's just not good enough to pull that off. At minimum it should be shown in 2 hour chunks to allow the audience to give a hoot about the characters before being jerked back to reality. BoB was sharp & concise and each episode stood very well on its own - not so with The Pacific.

(in reply to Rambler1963)
Post #: 91
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/15/2010 3:01:16 AM   
Rambler1963

quote:

ORIGINAL: mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: amps1963

I'm not sure where I eluded to SPR and BOB as snuff films. I don't think either were. Out of curiosity, how would you have done the Pacific differently if you had the reins?

You didn't. You just made an assumption that for me to like The Pacific it would have to be a snuff film or documentary - even though I liked BoB & SPR just fine. So now we know that I like my war sagas well done.

Besides the obvious of casting better actors and hiring better writers, I would have aired the entire thing in a span of a couple of weeks. They waste 10 minutes at the start and 15 minutes at the end and it's just not good enough to pull that off. At minimum it should be shown in 2 hour chunks to allow the audience to give a hoot about the characters before being jerked back to reality. BoB was sharp & concise and each episode stood very well on its own - not so with The Pacific.

I replied to your thread and not the poster that said they wanted battle action and not the other stuff. I apologize to you for that. And I agree with your idea of making the episodes longer. I'm okay with the casting so far except the choice of Jon Seda for Basilone. He's too soft and doughy looking.

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 92
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/15/2010 7:50:21 AM   
ilovestrategy

I liked the Gunney on the firing range.  

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Rambler1963)
Post #: 93
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/15/2010 8:59:21 AM   
cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Best cast actor so far. Not too impressed with actor that plays Leckie. Sledge and SNAFU did a good job in ep 5, well the actors obviously!

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 94
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/19/2010 2:15:40 PM   
jomni

Airfield assault in Episode 6 seems so familiar.  There was a mission in Call of Duty World at War that plays out in the same way.  That ruined building was really a tough nut to crack.

Anyway why didn't they use smoke to cover the advance?

< Message edited by jomni -- 4/19/2010 2:21:55 PM >

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 95
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/19/2010 10:09:07 PM   
JamesM

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

quote:

Best cast actor so far. Not too impressed with actor that plays Leckie. Sledge and SNAFU did a good job in ep 5, well the actors obviously!

And he is an Aussie!

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 96
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/20/2010 7:48:56 AM   
cantona2

Episode 6, getting better all the time. Great action scenes and development of characters with Sledge and SNAFU. Preview snippet of 7 looks great as well.

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 97
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/21/2010 7:29:54 AM   
ilovestrategy

This show is just getting better. I love it!

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 98
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/21/2010 11:15:35 AM   
Zakhal

The battles could use som more introduction. Like what is the target, when is the combat going to happen, are there delays, preparations, plans, etc. Now all I see is bunch of people running around in different enviroments with explosions going on. They explain very briefly if at all the reasons behind it.

As for teh dialog I cant really get inside the head of these characters. They dont talk much just stare. They act weird without explanations. I dont understand them and I cant even remember their faces.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 4/21/2010 11:16:05 AM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

Post #: 99
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/21/2010 1:21:21 PM   
goodwoodrw

Can't wait till the series comes out on DVD, adds piss me off. 6 minutes of movie 5 minutes of adds yuck, no wonder I play computer games TV is crap.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 100
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/21/2010 2:08:06 PM   
jomni

quote:

This show is just getting better. I love it!

Yeah but it's ending soon. :D

Post #: 101
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/22/2010 1:01:32 AM   
KG Erwin

Four more episodes to go. Yeah, I'd looking forward to the DVD set, too. I guess that Leckie is heading back to the homeland, but Sledge is just getting into the war. Basilone will tire of the war bond drives and will ask to get sent back to action.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 4/22/2010 1:02:47 AM >

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 102
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/26/2010 2:02:24 PM   
Chickenboy

Watched Episode 7 last night. Very well done. I'm appreciating the hardening of "Sledge" from a genteel upper class Southern boy to a steely-eyed Marine. If you could bottle that look he shot that USO REMF at the end of the episode, you'd have a war-winning weapon. I really like Sgt. SNAFU as a character too.

Also appreciate how the tropical nastiness of Puv'uvu seems like a lovely paradise after months on Pelileau.

Looks like Episode 8 will focus on Basilone's return to a fighting unit.

My take on the series' political overtones is that they are subdued, secondary to character experiences and development. Other than an oft reviled, sometimes respected enemy, the Japanese are just that-an enemy. I know that many, if not most, Marines that returned from the war held lifelong animus towards them and I get why. But the central theme of this dramatic series isn't about overarching strategic views or lingering emotional wounds of the war, but rather how the war changed men. That story is always worth watching, IMO.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 103
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/26/2010 9:48:13 PM   
cantona2

If one episode can save a series that one will! BoB standard. Great acting, you get taken on that journey with those soldiers.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 104
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/27/2010 5:51:10 AM   
D.Ilse

I stopped watching after I missed a pair of episodes in a row..waiting for the June DVD release now to finish..but I finished the Audiobook in the car(I have a 2hr communte daily, since Pop Radio sucks, and my local NPR station nixed classical music, I listen to books)

I think it the lack of unit cohesion that makes me like Pacific less than other WWII series, Band, Piece of Cake, All the King's Men(WWI), Dark Blue World, or even Enemy at the Door and Island at War, have a better feel of Cohesion than Pacific.

I mean two of the main characters, Sledge and Sid. Do not serve together really, the both serves AS mortar men, but in the book they are in contact while on the bivac island before Pelileu's invasion, with As Sledge came into the theater after failing the V-12 program and Sid going to the States first to Florida then to the V-12 program.

The Book also doesn't follow Leckie, but does add a Marine Officer captured in the Phillipeans, becomes a POW, escapes, becomes a guerrila fighter, finally gets back with the Marines, and goes back into Combat. The other change is following a USN Dive Bomber pilot.

I guess the sinew that connects all the characters is the buildup/invasion of Pelileu since all 5 in the book have some kind of connection to that campaign, weak connections but it's all I can see for any.

A story focused on a single squad/company would have been better, but I don't think many units fought in the PTO from 1942-1945 that were not on board a ship or squadron. The USAAF in China would have made a hella better film in my opinion.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 105
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/27/2010 6:54:25 AM   
JudgeDredd

tbh, from what I've read around the net, it seems ridiculous that this was ever likened to Band of Brothers apart from the obvious connection of Speilberg and Hanks.

I haven't seen them yet as I'm to tight/too wise (delete as required) to pay Sky for a subscription to some crappy film channels so I can watch the series...but (again from what I've read) it seems very disjointed...and following what? 3 characters? From a division? And they're not all in each of the episodes?

I will most definitely get it on DVD...but my concerns about the cohesion and depth of the story increase everytime I read about it.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 106
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/27/2010 10:09:24 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

If you could bottle that look he shot that USO REMF at the end of the episode, you'd have a war-winning weapon.

I thought that LT. was gonna get a serious wake up call! If looks could kill he would have been dead.

I think a great job was done with Sledge's character. Sgt. SNAFU was awesome too. I love the scene where Sledge was going to take out the dead Jap's teeth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 107
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/27/2010 11:51:04 PM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: D.Ilse

The Book also doesn't follow Leckie,

Leckie's story was taken from another book.

quote:

A story focused on a single squad/company would have been better, but I don't think many units fought in the PTO from 1942-1945 that were not on board a ship or squadron.

Agree. But casualty rates are so high that you won't see a grunt serving all major battles.

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 108
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/29/2010 4:31:18 PM   
Stele

I'm liking how the Pacific is picking up now. Peleliu episodes are fascinating.

Also, SNAFU creeps the heck out of me. I'd want him in my squad in a fight against Martians, but I'd hate to dorm with that guy.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 109
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/29/2010 9:55:32 PM   
KG Erwin

As I suspected, my favorite character is Sledge, but I miss Leckie now. I haven't warmed to Basilone very much, but that may change once he returns to battlefield action. As for Snafu, well, he's a special case. Interesting that he and Sledge eventually become best friends.

I suppose I'm gonna have to revisit "With the Old Breed" once the series is completed. I've seen & heard enough interviews with the real Eugene Sledge that I can place a voice to what I'm reading.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 4/29/2010 9:58:23 PM >

(in reply to Stele)
Post #: 110
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 4/30/2010 12:21:47 AM   
johnnycanuck1944

The actor playing Sledgehammer is great, however, I think he should have had a southern accent like the real man .I believe it would have made his role even more powerful. I have watched the Sledge interviews enough that I almost expect his voice to appear in the miniseries.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 111
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/1/2010 4:38:11 PM   
JagdFlanker

i'v watched the battle scenes from SPR and BOB all at least 30-50 times EACH, from their initial release onwards (VHS then DVD then a re-released DVD for SVP, and TV/initial DVD/blu-ray for BOB), and one guarantee i can give you is that for this initial showing of Pacific we are NOT seeing 5-10% of the final product

for example the final battle in SPR was initially very confusing to me since it seemed like a bunch of little scenes all taped together to make a big mess, but in the more recent releases they added a LOT of scenes to it and it now makes total sense when you watch it and you see how the battle progresses much more smoothly now

also in the carantan ep of BOB the carantan battle was also initially sort of jumpy but they have since added a lot of little scenes and it now makes perfect sense and progresses very smoothly when you watch it

so by virtue of what i'v seen from SPR and BOB you can bet your sweet ass there is a lot cut out of this initial showing of Pacific which is why it's currently "jumpy", and within a few years they will release the "final" cut which will fill in the series more completely

< Message edited by Flanker Leader -- 5/2/2010 5:23:42 PM >

(in reply to johnnycanuck1944)
Post #: 112
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/3/2010 7:24:17 PM   
Capt Cliff

Was a bit disappointed in Part 8. The story about John Basilone seemed a bit rushed. The combat scenes at the end also seemed an after thought. Like oh yeah he dies. Didn't really tell us what he was doing, just bogus combat action scenes. Oh and they should have mentioned he got the Navy Cross for what he did and that he died on day one of the battle. So he win's the Medal of Honor on "The Canal" and the first day back in combat on Iwo he wins the Navy Cross!! Disappointed that one of the bravest of the brave should be shown like that.

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to JagdFlanker)
Post #: 113
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/3/2010 8:45:36 PM   
cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff

Was a bit disappointed in Part 8. The story about John Basilone seemed a bit rushed. The combat scenes at the end also seemed an after thought. Like oh yeah he dies. Didn't really tell us what he was doing, just bogus combat action scenes. Oh and they should have mentioned he got the Navy Cross for what he did and that he died on day one of the battle. So he win's the Medal of Honor on "The Canal" and the first day back in combat on Iwo he wins the Navy Cross!! Disappointed that one of the bravest of the brave should be shown like that.

Agreed

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 114
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/4/2010 12:25:33 AM   
jomni

i expected a sex scene. but there wasn't any.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 115
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/4/2010 1:02:32 AM   
Goblin

I've now dozed off during 2 of eight episodes, and outright skipped two also. Never happened once during BoB. I wish I had dozed off during number eight. As described above - they blew Basilone's story to heck. No explanation of why he went to back to combat, 20 minute romance and marriage, teleportation straight to combat. A few flashy scenes with no context whatsoever, and dead. Major disappointment. I'm starting to think I may save some money on the DVD's...

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 116
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/4/2010 11:51:57 AM   
Zakhal

Perhaps the scope was too big. They should have concentrated the series on one or two battles in the pacific. Start with guadalcanal and really make it seven months long. And then take another battle from the end i.e iwo jima and call it finished. Put the atomic bombs and short occupation of japan in the end if possible. Thats more or less what I expected to see.

In bob combat happened mainly from june 1944 to jan-feb 1945. Thats 7-8 months. Pacific starts august 1942 and tries to show 30+ months of it in less amount of screentime (each episode is shorter than in bob).

If bob had been done "pacific" style they would have started it 1942 in north africa. Of course that doesnt guarantee a mess if its done right. I.E "Patton" showed us the war from 1942 to 1945 while been ony few hours long and still made a good movie. Whats wrong in "Pacific" is a sum of things. Somoone in the movie business might know better.

Concentrating on one battle alone i.e guadalcanal might have been easier. Making the movie last the whole war covering all aspects of it was too challenging for the director. He simply wasnt up to it.

EDIT:

If pacific bored you I suggest checking out "Shtrafbat". Its a BoB-style 10-episodes long russian series about penal battalion in ww2. Better than pacific if you dont mind the subtitles.

quote:

Shtrafbat

Gritty tale of a Soviet 'penal battalion' in World War II, 7 December 2006
Author: jbillburg from United States

With the war not going well for the Soviet Union, Stalin accepted volunteers from the prisons and used the prisoners as shock troops. This is the story of one such battalion. There are petty crooks, political prisoners, soldiers kicked out of other units, gray-haired veterans of the White Army plus some dangerous criminals.

They are thrown into battle ill-equipped, untrained and face the threat of the NKVD if they show signs of cowardice or failure.

The special effects are rudimentary and many of the minor characters are one-dimensional, but the overall story is very human and riveting.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 5/4/2010 12:09:25 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 117
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/4/2010 7:41:31 PM   
ilovestrategy

I too thought the episode was rushed. One minute he's telling her he might get shipped off and the next scene is marriage! 

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 118
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/5/2010 4:57:04 AM   
KG Erwin

None of the guff I've heard here surprises me, as it seems that some of you expect the real-life experiences of these Marines to play out like a DAR of one of your wargames.

Post #: 119
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/5/2010 10:28:52 AM   
Goblin

It likely would have been better written then, and followed the actual events more closely.

Why do you think people are disappointed with this series? Just curious. You slam critique as 'guff'. There must be a reason. Maybe tell people why you think this series is well written?

Goblin

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI