Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

After many patches - now worth getting?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After many patches - now worth getting? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/8/2010 5:21:11 PM   
blastpop

I have been reading about the trials and tribulations up to this point and have been on the fence. Any thoughts if it is a good time to buy or should I wait longer?

It seems like many like it, but have reservations about this or that aspect of the game.

Knowing what you know now, would you buy or wait?

I only have so much free gaming time, so I don't want to waste my time or money for that matter...
Post #: 1
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/8/2010 5:26:09 PM   
Bartje

I would buy it as an investment and the enjoyment it has given me up until now.

DW has lots of potential and a comitted design team but I won't hide from you that it certainly isn't all that it can be.

Hence, if anything it is an investment.

I'd say it mostly depends on your game taste

Do you like 4x games? Do you really want state of the art graphics?? (take a look at Sins of Solar Empire then)

Or story-based? Turn-based? Fantasy? Sci-Fi? Action? etc..  

If your first tought was that you'd like DW then you probably would. Remember: the First thought is usually right.

If not, come back later and see how much the game has improved.

Do you enjoy empire building? Seeing a living, growing galaxy? - That's what I liked about DW and what attracts me to other games as well, if only there were some worthy ones.

Most of all; You shoudn't get it because anyone convinces you to but because of what you've read here and there you think you will like it.

You are the one making the choice; buy it if it fits and you think you'll use it.

Just like clothes

< Message edited by Bartje -- 5/8/2010 5:47:46 PM >

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 2
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/8/2010 5:49:07 PM   
blastpop

I enjoy 4x games but graphics a less important- though the game should be pleasing to the eye, if not state of the art. My preference is turn based strategy. Having said that, real time pausable games like this would be fine... as long as I don't miss out on some key turning point (and get screwed) because I can't micromanage every minor detail.

My inclination is I'll probably like the game.

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 3
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/8/2010 6:01:17 PM   
Fishman

No. Definitely no. Keep waiting.

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 4
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/8/2010 6:02:15 PM   
Rustyallan

quote:

ORIGINAL: blastpop

I enjoy 4x games but graphics a less important- though the game should be pleasing to the eye, if not state of the art. My preference is turn based strategy. Having said that, real time pausable games like this would be fine... as long as I don't miss out on some key turning point (and get screwed) because I can't micromanage every minor detail.

I prefer turn-based strategy as well and generally write off real-time games. I'm enjoying DW very much though. The only times I pause are when a *lot* happens at once. Usually I'll drop down to .25x when things pick up, but most of my game is at 1x. 2x and 4x are for long stretches of nothing happening.

I could wish that opening screens didn't pause the game all the time since I could run the game while playing with ship design or queuing new units for production, but it's fine the way it is really.

I haven't run into any points that can't be recovered from though there are the occasional hiccups. Most of my empire is automated and I just manage the general flow.

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 5
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/8/2010 7:09:12 PM   
Vlad77

I bought this game on the day of release and love it. I have never had any problems with it crashing, and no trials and tribulations whatsoever.

Fishman, care to elaborate on your "No. Definitely no. Keep waiting." comment? It's not clear to me if you are being facetious or you truly believe DW is not worth the OP's time.

Text doesn't always translate whether something is said tongue in cheek or not. If it was said as a serious comment, perhaps it would be beneficial to explain why one would have to 'wait"? However, the other interpretation that could be read as tongue in cheek is rather witty considering the OP's concerns about time. :)

Either way, I would opine that this game is wonderful, and its future looks VERY promising.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

(in reply to Rustyallan)
Post #: 6
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/8/2010 7:28:39 PM   
Bartje

He usually sounds depressed but if you read through the lines closely you'll notice an intelligent, tongue in cheek and perhaps somewhat shy  personality.

(in reply to Vlad77)
Post #: 7
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/8/2010 8:13:34 PM   
Elshar

I think it was worth it when it was released.

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 8
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/8/2010 8:14:03 PM   
DasTactic

DW is not a typical Matrix strategy game because it is less a 'game' than a 'story'. By that I mean if you play it trying to tweak each unit and control all aspects to win I think the game could be frustrating. But if you play the game as if it is part of a story and you can affect the specific small parts of the big story you choose, then it is fantastic. It is so broad in its scope that picking and choosing the parts of the story you are interested in at the time is very rewarding. And to able to rely on the AI to do a decent job of the rest while you are occupied means you can play it to suit yourself.

Version 1.0.4.5 (latest release) is very balanced in many aspects now. Sure it still has some issues but the game is still incredibly addictive and engaging. I'm finding it challenging, immersive, charming and well paced. And it's just going to get better as more patches come out and the community starts modding.

I'd say definitely grab it. I know this will be my 4X game of choice now for years to come.

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 9
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/8/2010 8:15:02 PM   
vils

I havent played any game so intense for last couple of weeks as i have with this game... in years! So its definately worth the buy! I am very selectable when it comes to games..
Unless devs suddenly stop supporting the game i say buy it now! Yet Yet Woot Woot there are still bugs, and i havent been able to complete a single game yet due to CTD's but just watch tech forum along the way..

Take Command! - Lewis E. Lyle

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 10
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/8/2010 8:26:41 PM   
ASHBERY76

With 1.4 I think it is a safe buy now.

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 11
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/8/2010 8:46:52 PM   
Spacecadet

I don't really like RTS games either, I prefer Turn Based too.
With DW though, you can pause anytime and you can play at .25 speed to 4x speed, so it really comes off a lot more like a TBS game than an RTS.

I've had the game for about three weeks and have only finished two or three.
Some of the games were on Beta Patches, and I had issues with those - but they were Betas.

DW is a pretty good game, and I think it's only going to get better as new Patches and features are added and tweaked.
The learning curve is pretty steep. If you get DW now, chances are pretty good that 1.05 will be out by the time you really start to get a handle on whats going on.
I'm still learning and probably will continue too for a while as new things are added.

If you're the kind of person that'll play a game for a long time (> 1 year), then I think there's a lot of value here.

(in reply to vils)
Post #: 12
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/8/2010 8:48:50 PM   
Bartje

Those are exactly my thoughts Spacecadet, well put!

Replay value is very high for me too! 

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 13
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/8/2010 10:11:45 PM   
Dadekster

I'd recommend this game to people who enjoy 4X games. My only caveat is that combat to me is rather simple, (pile on torps, build lots of smaller destroyers/cruisers ships with those torps and click target until destroyed, repeat) and that it is still a bit rough around the edges. Other than that it's a fun game and is different in that you have a breathing, living empire that you sort of nuture along. I would love to see more options in things to do especially on the political and combat side of things which would reflect down onwards to your citizens (other than rebellion). To me that would build upon the living empire you have. All in all, this is a very good game with a nice original spin on the 4X theme.

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 14
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 12:40:16 AM   
jscott991

Until they solve the corruption issue, or at least let you reduce or minimize it as a game setting, I would say pass on this game.

(in reply to Dadekster)
Post #: 15
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 12:50:53 AM   
lostsm

i haven't experienced the corruption issue at all, maybe because i play on smaller maps?

either way, this is a great buy

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 16
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 1:08:22 AM   
Shark7

I bought on release day and have no regrets. And with the 1.04 patch I have not had any issues.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to lostsm)
Post #: 17
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 1:47:55 AM   
jscott991

Does no one ever have a large empire in this game? Is everyone always stuck with like 20 colonies, 30 AI empires, and tons of cash because you don't bother to buy anything?

Put a game on full auto, have only one other AI nation, and avoid war.

Watch what happens to your economy when you crest 150, 180, 200, etc. colonies. Your income stream dries up.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 18
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 4:25:22 AM   
lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: blastpop

From your lasts sentence can I assume you are a control freak then?

Then I would like to warn you that DW is not compatible with control freaks, at least in an enjoyable way. The reason is the AI does a decent job of automating tasks for you where it would otherwise be a micromanagement from hell situation.

With DW you have to be at peace with the fact that you may miss some key turning point within your empire, because you can't be everywhere at once.

So this may be the genius from Fishman's post about warning you away from DW.

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 19
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 5:10:36 AM   
martok

I actually found Distant Worlds worth getting from the beginning, flaws & all. It's just that much better now with all the patches/updates.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 20
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 1:42:58 PM   
blastpop

On balance, it appears that despite any flaws the game's positives outweigh the negatives at this point. Thanks for the comments.

One other question- is ship design mandatory? Never been a fan of that concept.

< Message edited by blastpop -- 5/9/2010 1:43:22 PM >

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 21
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 2:49:49 PM   
EisenHammer

Ship design is not necessary, you can go through the entire game without desinging a ship yourself, the AI will do it.
And yes... DW is worth getting.

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 22
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 5:04:54 PM   
nukkxx5058

How does it compare with Sins of a Solar Empire ? I just bought DW but I am also considering to buy SoSE. Is SoSE complex enough or kind of simple RTS for kids ?

Thx

(in reply to EisenHammer)
Post #: 23
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 5:39:38 PM   
Fishman

Sins is better made. DW is currently an exercise in squandered potential.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 24
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 5:48:09 PM   
Bartje

Sins is a longer developed product which has 2 expansions and maaaaany patches. Its quite simply older though it has nice graphics!

If anything:

Sins has a more limited scope and more emphasis on combat.

DW is more of a simulation of galactic life.

And as Fishman has told you; It is still being patched and developed. It has lots of potential.

Also: Sins has multiplayer.

It depends on what you are looking for; They are both very enjoyable games!

< Message edited by Bartje -- 5/9/2010 5:49:10 PM >

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 25
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 5:49:14 PM   
Fishman

Save your money: You can always buy it later.

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 26
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 5:50:09 PM   
Bartje

By that logic mankind would not have gone to space or the moon

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 27
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 5:51:27 PM   
nukkxx5058

in fact i'm mainly interested in sins because of the multiplayer... i hope the game's depths  and complexity ( of sins) is sufficient.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 28
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 5:52:05 PM   
Fishman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bartje

By that logic mankind would not have gone to space or the moon
Nonsense. Going to space is all about getting the high ground on your enemies. Going to the moon is about hiding your flag where they can't get it. Notice how the US hid their flag on the moon, so the Soviets couldn't get to it, and thus won.

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 29
RE: After many patches - now worth getting? - 5/9/2010 6:48:57 PM   
jscott991

quote:

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

How does it compare with Sins of a Solar Empire ? I just bought DW but I am also considering to buy SoSE. Is SoSE complex enough or kind of simple RTS for kids ?

Thx

Sins is not worth it if you are looking for an EU3/4x type of game. In fact, I hate Sins, but that isn't a majority opinion. With its unit cap, horrible AI (propped up by cheating pirates; sound familiar?) and incredibly similar units, Sins is a very repetitive, boring game.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After many patches - now worth getting? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI