Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question: Carrier warfare?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question: Carrier warfare? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question: Carrier warfare? - 5/15/2010 11:30:40 AM   
rbutters

I apologize if there is a painfully obvious answer to this question within two or three clicks. I was born with an abnormally small cranial capacity, the medical term is microbrain.

Does DW have some form of carrier combat?

I am a huge War in the Pacific fan, and while I know these two games are fundamentally different (though my microbrain condition makes it impossible for me to deduce anything beyond this single fact), I have always held out hope for a galactic scale grand strategy game with a dose of carrier operations.

I am also a big spongebob fan, and I like ice cream.

Thank you.

Your new friend,

rbutters

< Message edited by rbutters -- 5/15/2010 11:32:07 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Question: Carrier warfare? - 5/15/2010 12:19:25 PM   
lostsm

no there isn't, and likely won't ever

(in reply to rbutters)
Post #: 2
RE: Question: Carrier warfare? - 5/15/2010 12:47:58 PM   
Bartje

Erik (developer) has hinted that they would like to include carrier warfare / fighters & bombers.

Several modifications have also started to include this option.

It was within three clicks

(in reply to lostsm)
Post #: 3
RE: Question: Carrier warfare? - 5/15/2010 12:57:27 PM   
lostsm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bartje

Erik (developer) has hinted that they would like to include carrier warfare / fighters & bombers.

Several modifications have also started to include this option.

It was within three clicks

i knew what the mods did, and its mostly graphical if i understood right, but had no idea that the devs wanted too

carrier and fighters is just asking for very long discussions as to why they should or shouldnt exist in space

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 4
RE: Question: Carrier warfare? - 5/15/2010 3:00:32 PM   
Canute0

Think about the distance and speed at DW.
It would be at earth therms, the carrier sit at US east coast and send his fighter/bomber to europe, while he cruise with 500 km/h through the ocean. :-)

Fighter/bomber would be ok when the battlefield is much smaller then million of KMs.

(in reply to lostsm)
Post #: 5
RE: Question: Carrier warfare? - 5/15/2010 3:02:56 PM   
Kruos

Fighters will probably be there in some months, once the game and its original features will be stable and well balanced, I think.

(in reply to lostsm)
Post #: 6
RE: Question: Carrier warfare? - 5/15/2010 3:20:24 PM   
Bartje

A fighter that travels the same speed or faster than a carrier.

It doesn't need to have a pilot. It could be UAV.

It could be UAV's shooting UAV's. (fighters)

or UAV's shooting ships. (bombers)

Mod's can always replace the images and make it seem like its a manned craft.

Meh. Speed is relative anyway.

< Message edited by Bartje -- 5/15/2010 4:16:49 PM >

(in reply to Kruos)
Post #: 7
RE: Question: Carrier warfare? - 5/15/2010 6:21:26 PM   
HsojVvad

We are hoping carriers and fighters will be in an expansion. Nothing was said, except that it would be a nice idea. No promises, no comitments.

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 8
RE: Question: Carrier warfare? - 5/15/2010 7:54:03 PM   
rbutters

Cool, thanks for the responses. Prolly pick DW up at some point and enjoy it on its own merits, quietly hoping for carriers, fighters and bombers down the road. =)

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 9
RE: Question: Carrier warfare? - 5/15/2010 11:53:31 PM   
Keston

As a game design matter, the more essentially different forms of combat interaction, the harder it is to make the AI strong or credible and the more restrictions need to fine-tuned in to avoid exploits. 

It also depends on the grand vision of the evolution of weapon systems in the game - will fighters/light attack craft be a dominant strategy, or good only in some situations?  Or will it be rock/scissors/paper among types through the game, or will tech cycles shift the balance back and forth (full of that in human history). What do the designers have in mind.

Have the designers explained their vision of this somewhere?

(in reply to rbutters)
Post #: 10
RE: Question: Carrier warfare? - 5/16/2010 1:23:02 AM   
Kruos

quote:

As a game design matter, the more essentially different forms of combat interaction, the harder it is to make the AI strong or credible and the more restrictions need to fine-tuned in to avoid exploits. 

It also depends on the grand vision of the evolution of weapon systems in the game - will fighters/light attack craft be a dominant strategy, or good only in some situations?  Or will it be rock/scissors/paper among types through the game, or will tech cycles shift the balance back and forth (full of that in human history). What do the designers have in mind.

Have the designers explained their vision of this somewhere?

Yes your are right the key thing behind the integration of fighter in the game is how they will fit with the combat system.

I dont have seen post of the designer on that, but here is my vue.

As far as I understand the actual combat design, it is pretty simple. You have ship design, with different size and linked to that different role. You make a fleet, you send it somewhere with opposition and BOOM there is a fight. Due to the epic scale of the game, there are not so many combat option, all is pretty automatised, and it is nice like that. It appears that win is a matter of fire power and distance of fire. So, to integrate the most simply fighters to the game, you have to play with these two levers.

My point of vue is that fighters could be integrated with a weapon system balanced like that :

- Beam : short/medium range, letal against ships and maybe also fighters (with some point defense for example)

- Torpedo : medium/long range, letal against ships only

- Bomb : close range, letal against planets

- Fighters : long range/very long range, letal against ships, fighters, torpedo and maybe also planets (with some ehanced mutli-task version for example)

As I explained in the wishlist thread it should not be so hard to make. The basis of the combat system are pretty good, the system is quite simple and any addition should keep it simple to avoid some additionnal IA programming work, I think.

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question: Carrier warfare? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI