Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this game worth it ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Is this game worth it ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 1:19:23 PM   
82ndtrooper

Hi guys

I am a player of Advanced Tactics which I love. But i am looking for A game based on the Pacific Theater.
Looking around it seems this is a good one but its pretty expensive. $79.00 us.

so is it worth it?

is the AI challenging? ( i always start by playing against the AI to learn the game before PBEM. )

Whats the learning curve ?

and finally what are some of your general opinions ?

HHC 302nd Engineer Battalion
82nd Airborne Division
Honorably Discharged Jul/80
Post #: 1
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 1:24:03 PM   
Smeulders

Well, there is another thread with nearly the same name still on this page, so you may try and look at that.

(in reply to 82ndtrooper)
Post #: 2
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 1:24:20 PM   
eloso

We just went through this the other day...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2464101

Of course it's worth it to those who love and play it.

Post #: 3
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 1:28:56 PM   
Misconduct

Read that forum post, and if you have any other questions we are happy answer 

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 4
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 1:29:36 PM   
82ndtrooper

ahh sorry I didnt notice that thread and i looked back about 5 pages.

82nd Airborne Division

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 5
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 2:07:10 PM   
82ndtrooper

ok I just read it. he certainly got a nice response and welcome.

so is the AI challenging ?

whats the learning curve  ( for an experienced turn based WWII game player)

I played Grigsbys TOAW some and was a little overwhelmed buy the hundreds of different types of units , it seemed like there where so many like infantry with long bayonets and Infantry with short Bayonets etc... ( being a little sarcastic there )

is this game similar to that one ? or can you consolidate units if you choose ?  I love the aspect of managing a ecomony and such but I grow tired of loading 55 single planes on a carrier  when you could  load  a squadron of fighters and a squadron of DB's.  ( what I am asking is I know micromanaging is part of a good strategy game but some games seem to take it to the point that it becomes a job, so is this one that way where every unit has to be moved individually or can you create divisions, battalions  etc... and move them ?)

is there a tutorial ?

I guess thats it sorry to be a bother.

82nd Airborne Division

Post #: 6
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 2:38:46 PM   
Kitakami

The AI challenging? Yes, but pbm is MUCH better :)

The learning curve is steep. VERY. But if you like complications... this is THE game. Takes months just to get everything right (at least for me it did), and then you still read a forum post once in a while, and learn something new.

To become good at AE you must become a logisitics wizard, particularly if you play the Japanese. And there is a LOT of micromanagement you can do, so if that is not your cup of tea, play the Allied side. It has much less.

Some other things to help you:
- You cannot decide on what land units you create... they come with the passage of time.
- The Japanese player does have control on what airframes, engines, and ships he builds, but the Allied player does not.
- Pilots need to be trained, and that can become a game within a game in itself. Search the forum for posts regarding on map pilot training.
- Read an after action report or two. They will give you a feel of the game like nothing else short of actually playing.

Hope that helps.

Tenno Heika Banzai!

Post #: 7
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 2:43:07 PM   
82ndtrooper

yes it does. Thank you !

I have been reading all I can here and it seems that there are a lot of automated things that you can do to lessen the burden of micromanaging. Like the game will do scout missions around bases  and will attack if it finds something,  is this correct ?

< Message edited by 82ndtrooper -- 5/15/2010 2:47:32 PM >

82nd Airborne Division

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 8
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 2:49:04 PM   
Kitakami

Once you set your air groups on naval search, for example, and other groups on naval attack, if you find enemy task forces they will be attacked, yes.

Also, you will find that the members of the forum tend to be helpful when questions are asked. Not all, mind you, but there is a large number of players who do not mind helping a newbie. It is expected you do a forum search first, of course, but we tend to be a half-helpful bunch in general.

I would REALLY suggest you play the Allies if you do not like micromanagement. I just sent a Campaign Game turn 1 to my pbm opponent, for example. I play the Japanese. That turn took me over a week to assemble (was a heavy week at work, but still). And I have written notes on aircraft production, engines, land unit locations, minefield locations, etc. If you start from scratch, it takes a LOT more.

Cheers!

Tenno Heika Banzai!

Post #: 9
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 3:02:20 PM   
82ndtrooper

Thanks Kitakami for you help.

Like i said I have been playing turn based games for a long time, But my only experiance with a Grigsby game was TAOW which was a good game but nothing happened in that game unless you did it. And as large as the pacific theater is I wondered if I was going to have to send out every scout plane and fight every soldier like in that game. So my primary concern was if the game engine did some functions automaticaly and it seems that yes it does.

I also like the idea of pilot training . that was a key factor in the Pacific. Japan had a great training program but it took to long and was very cumbersome. Thus they had a very hard time replacing pilots. the USA took a different approach and produced well trained pilots much faster. In the end Japans shortage of experienced pilots was a big factor against them.

So far it looks like a good investment so I am leaning towards buying it.

82nd Airborne Division

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 10
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 3:26:49 PM   
Grit

It's a good game, get it.

I see you were at Fort Bragg. I was there at the same time you were as an MP, 65th MP Co, 1978-1981. It was a wild place back in those days.

Post #: 11
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 3:47:00 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: 82ndtrooper

Like i said I have been playing turn based games for a long time, But my only experiance with a Grigsby game was TAOW which was a good game but nothing happened in that game unless you did it. And as large as the pacific theater is I wondered if I was going to have to send out every scout plane and fight every soldier like in that game. So my primary concern was if the game engine did some functions automaticaly and it seems that yes it does.

I also like the idea of pilot training . that was a key factor in the Pacific. Japan had a great training program but it took to long and was very cumbersome. Thus they had a very hard time replacing pilots. the USA took a different approach and produced well trained pilots much faster. In the end Japans shortage of experienced pilots was a big factor against them.

It is a GREAT game..., but even with the "aides" it requires a good deal of micromanagement and balancing. If you enjoy that kind of thing, it's very rewarding. If you get tired of it, frustration will set in.

The AI is better than most (especially when playing the Japanese opening moves), but it's still an AI and will do (and repeat) stupid things. But you can almost get your money's worth of playing time playing the first year as the Allies a couple of times (the AI won't make the same moves every time you play..., it breaks down over time, but it can be quite nasty in the opening).

And after that, you can try PBEM for a whole new and different challenge.

Post #: 12
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 4:33:54 PM   
82ndtrooper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grit

I see you were at Fort Bragg. I was there at the same time you were as an MP, 65th MP Co, 1978-1981. It was a wild place back in those days.

haha yeah it was wild , we didn't call Hay street( i think it was) Combat Ally for nothing.

< Message edited by 82ndtrooper -- 5/15/2010 4:36:25 PM >

82nd Airborne Division

(in reply to Grit)
Post #: 13
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 4:40:35 PM   
82ndtrooper

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

quote:

It is a GREAT game..., but even with the "aides" it requires a good deal of micromanagement and balancing. If you enjoy that kind of thing, it's very rewarding. If you get tired of it, frustration will set in.

The AI is better than most (especially when playing the Japanese opening moves), but it's still an AI and will do (and repeat) stupid things. But you can almost get your money's worth of playing time playing the first year as the Allies a couple of times (the AI won't make the same moves every time you play..., it breaks down over time, but it can be quite nasty in the opening).

And after that, you can try PBEM for a whole new and different challenge.

thanks it all sounds good so I guess ill order it.

yeah I am rather found of PBEM games I really enjoy them down in Advance Tactics. We have a small but real friendly community there.

82nd Airborne Division

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 14
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 5:05:23 PM   
Grit

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grit

haha yeah it was wild , we didn't call Hay street( i think it was) Combat Ally for nothing.

Hay Street was a very wild place. Just so you know, the Hay Street we remember is gone. It's been cleaned up and all office buldings now.

I did a walking patrol with the Fayetteville PD for a whole summer. I can't tell you how many times some skinny little wide eyed farm boy type came up to me and complained about being robbed. Usually the suspect was a 6'4" 250lb black "woman." You should have seen the look on his face when I told him the woman he solicited for oral sex was actually a man.

Post #: 15
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 8:10:35 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

is there a tutorial ?

No, although the manual references it.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

Post #: 16
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 9:31:14 PM   
Pratzen

Here's another view. I'm an AE player, and I hated Advanced Tactics. You are about to byte off a hunk of elephant meat when you're used to tofu.

Post #: 17
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 10:02:15 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kitakami

Once you set your air groups on naval search, for example, and other groups on naval attack, if you find enemy task forces they will be attacked, yes.

Also, you will find that the members of the forum tend to be helpful when questions are asked. Not all, mind you, but there is a large number of players who do not mind helping a newbie. It is expected you do a forum search first, of course, but we tend to be a half-helpful bunch in general.

I would REALLY suggest you play the Allies if you do not like micromanagement. I just sent a Campaign Game turn 1 to my pbm opponent, for example. I play the Japanese. That turn took me over a week to assemble (was a heavy week at work, but still). And I have written notes on aircraft production, engines, land unit locations, minefield locations, etc. If you start from scratch, it takes a LOT more.

Cheers!

Kitakami San -

So very glad to read about the time it takes a Japanese player to setup and micromanage - from another player; thought it was just me...

Banzai!

Mac

(in reply to Kitakami)
Post #: 18
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/15/2010 10:14:15 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ok I just read it. he certainly got a nice response and welcome.

so is the AI challenging ?

whats the learning curve  ( for an experienced turn based WWII game player)

I played Grigsbys TOAW some and was a little overwhelmed buy the hundreds of different types of units , it seemed like there where so many like infantry with long bayonets and Infantry with short Bayonets etc... ( being a little sarcastic there )

is this game similar to that one ? or can you consolidate units if you choose ?  I love the aspect of managing a ecomony and such but I grow tired of loading 55 single planes on a carrier  when you could  load  a squadron of fighters and a squadron of DB's.  ( what I am asking is I know micromanaging is part of a good strategy game but some games seem to take it to the point that it becomes a job, so is this one that way where every unit has to be moved individually or can you create divisions, battalions  etc... and move them ?)

is there a tutorial ?

I guess thats it sorry to be a bother.

82ndtrooper -

First of all welcome aboard! AE is awesome, the forum residents friendly and helpful.

Kitakami San's suggestion about reading the AAR's is right on. I am still very much a newbie myself, and have found a great "where do I go and what do I do next" in the numerous AARs - many of which are written by highly experienced players. Not to mention the enormous amount of information available in each forum segment - The War Room, The General Forum etc. Then there is a whole series of First Class Modifications available for free; life doesn't get better than this!

Do hope you take the plunge, don't be embarrassed to ask questions. Each will be answered by the all knowing AE Sensei's <grin>.

Grasshopper Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 5/15/2010 10:17:09 PM >

LAV-25 2147

Post #: 19
RE: Is this game worth it ? - 5/16/2010 2:44:41 AM   
cmdrsam

82nd. As a noob myself I welcome you to get the game. I had never, untill now, paid this price for a game. Now albiet I am a rookie and have only played few scenerios. I want to grasp as much as I can before I get to the campaign. It maybe be the newness of it, but I am not dissapointed in the game.

Learning curve, I came over from another game called Ageods Civil War Game. That had a learning curve. This one is bigger in my opinion. So if you are looking for a beer and pretzel game, this may not be for you. But If you are looking for a deeper game, and dont mind micromangement. This could be up your alley.

This I would classify as a thinking mans game. No hand eye cordination here. AI I cant really comment on because of my lack of expeirence and I will let someone else mor qualified than I am answer that. Just remember all game with AI can be duped. The key to enjoying any game is to understand that, and not exploit the flaws of the AI. In the games I have played I can rationalize its decesion making.

Just my 2 cents.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Is this game worth it ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI