Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game Stopper

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Game Stopper Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game Stopper - 5/16/2010 12:41:39 PM   
siRkid

Last night I was playing a game that was going very well. I was enjoying it a lot and had finally reached the point where I could start taking other races out. I took my fleet with troop transports and headed for a capital planet . Once in system, I decided I would take over the only other planet in the system before taking on the capital. I landed 10 ground units and easily took the planet. I moved on with the rest of the fleet and started the invasion of the capital. This attack was not going well so I needed to go back and get some of the troops I left on the first planet. Well it rebelled before i got there and all of my units switch sides and now were defending the planet. I had to quit the game. First, how does a planet that is garrisoned by 10 units even think of rebelling. Second, when would 10 loyal units ever go over to the other side in mass like that. Very unrealistic. Considering how much time and effort it takes to get enough troops to conquer a planet with 10 defending units it was not worth playing the game anymore.

Please notice I did not say game killer. The game is still worth playing and this is something that can be fixed in a patch.

As a side note I find it very frustrating that the only way to attack a planet is by invasions and ships cannot provide ground support.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Post #: 1
RE: Game Stopper - 5/16/2010 12:48:53 PM   
Erik Rutins

Technically, your troops didn't "defect". Rather they were slaughtered while trying to hold back the planet-wide rebellion and their equipment procured by the rebels to equip their own units. With that said, I agree this creates serious immersion issues and we need to present this better and give the player more feedback and influence in these rebellion situations.

Right now, when a planet rebels, it takes over any enemy troops that are in place, but we should model this in more detail as there are situations where with a large enough garrison a rebellion should a real chance of failing and where there should also be time after the planet has "switched" for the troops to continue fighting and possibly escape the planet if they are losing. What I'd like to see in the long run is for rebellious planets to generate their own troop/militia units that actually fight your garrison for control of the planet.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 5/16/2010 2:02:48 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 2
RE: Game Stopper - 5/16/2010 12:55:28 PM   
siRkid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

What I'd like to see in the long run it for rebellious planets to generate their own troop/militia units that actually fight your garrison for control of the planet.

That is what I would like to see. It would make it more exiciting.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Game Stopper - 5/16/2010 1:14:54 PM   
shanicus

Erik, your reply is fantastic! I totally agree with your points there.

Perhaps this militia generation would be something akin to Civilization 2 where Partisan Troops would spontaneously appear near a large city that had been taken over by an unpopular foe. Often enough, they were strong enough to raise heck or even re take the city. But, if my memory serves, they came directly out of the cities population.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 4
RE: Game Stopper - 5/16/2010 3:52:11 PM   
Shark7

I think I tend to agree with Kid here, if a planet is garrisoned by a large force, the chances of rebellion should be reduced. That should go for any planet...they might revolt, but you wouldn't necessarily lose control (rather you lose tax money and the development would be reduced).

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to shanicus)
Post #: 5
RE: Game Stopper - 5/16/2010 11:32:05 PM   
lordxorn

Erik's solution sounds like something that can be patched, and solve the OP's issue.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 6
RE: Game Stopper - 5/16/2010 11:42:48 PM   
Keston

Rebellions should not slip by unnoticed in blink of an eye or frenzy of pop-ups.  Revolts take time, often a lot of time - there should be time to reinforce garrison troops.  Or options to negotiate or pretend to negotiate demands, or withdraw troops, or crack down brutally.      

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 7
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 12:14:50 AM   
Canute0

Its the same behavior when you start to colonize at other empire systems. Most of your planets will rebel and join the other empire.
You should know about that behavior.

And why the heck you didn't load the combatproof troops after you conquer the planet ? If you dont know, these troops geting stronger each fight.

quote:

Second, when would 10 loyal units ever go over to the other side in mass like that. Very unrealistic.

Loyal to you or to the planet goverment ?
They are loyal to the planet and prevent them from enemys from outside. Troops dont have any police funktion.

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 8
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 12:55:05 AM   
siRkid

Do troops and ships gain experiance? I did not see that anywhere?

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 9
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 3:03:18 AM   
jscott991

quote:

Technically, your troops didn't "defect". Rather they were slaughtered while trying to hold back the planet-wide rebellion and their equipment procured by the rebels to equip their own units. With that said, I agree this creates serious immersion issues and we need to present this better and give the player more feedback and influence in these rebellion situations.

Right now, when a planet rebels, it takes over any enemy troops that are in place, but we should model this in more detail as there are situations where with a large enough garrison a rebellion should a real chance of failing and where there should also be time after the planet has "switched" for the troops to continue fighting and possibly escape the planet if they are losing. What I'd like to see in the long run is for rebellious planets to generate their own troop/militia units that actually fight your garrison for control of the planet.

This would be a great change.

Rebellions should be reduced, though, in general. They happen too much in gamey situations like this one.

Post #: 10
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 3:19:39 AM   
taltamir

I very much like the idea of rebelling planets generating opposing troops, which then fight it out with your occupation troops.
plus the other changes erik mentioned. I think they will solve this problem.

right now I work around it by always invading the large planets first, and the small ones last.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/17/2010 3:20:37 AM >

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 11
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 3:36:51 AM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: jscott991

quote:

This would be a great change.

Rebellions should be reduced, though, in general. They happen too much in gamey situations like this one.

Whoa,hold on there sir. First off whats gamey about this situation? Kid launched and lost the battle in the enemies home system/capital planet.The non-capital planet that was successfully invaded then successfully rebelled against him.Yes,it needs to be shown in better detail but the results are not gamey at all. Those locals figured they had better show some loyalty and resist the oppressor or else.Or it could simply have been the home planet held now lets us kill these invaders!

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 12
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 4:36:36 AM   
jscott991

This is a silly, gamey situation that no amount of exposition can justify.

System One has two planets, X with 10 billion people and Y with 4 billion people. I invade and take over planet Y, presumably defeating its forces and subjugating its population. Two seconds later, Y has the capability of not only defeating my Empire, but taking over my troops' equipment and using it against me. If they had that capability, why didn't they resist the invasion to begin with? What's more, this situation is resolved, not using the ground combat system, but using the the "population satisfaction/happiness" system, which is completely inappropriate.

But, it gets sillier. If I had taken over Planet X first, I would have had no problem at all. Why would planet X's status affect the defense forces of Planet Y and vice versa?

This is a classic example of "broken as designed." The intersection of the happiness/rebellion system, which is unrelated to the combat system, produce an absurd result.

You realize the upshot of this is that the gaming system has produced a situation where some planets are impregnable because they are the lesser of two planets in a system. Does that many sense?

It leads to the gamey situation of always taking over the largest, which is, frankly, not that intuitive. That would be like MacArthur invading Japan first during his island hopping campaign.

< Message edited by jscott991 -- 5/17/2010 4:39:20 AM >

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 13
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 7:57:58 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

I very much like the idea of rebelling planets generating opposing troops, which then fight it out with your occupation troops.
plus the other changes erik mentioned. I think they will solve this problem.

right now I work around it by always invading the large planets first, and the small ones last.

Plus you can always bring in more troops to brutally put down the rebellion...yeah I like it, a lot.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 14
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 11:29:47 AM   
Mifune

All these are good points (including what Erik has said) but the time scale would have to allow for time so a player can react (and see the actions happening). And I am sure future additions will make DW quite exciting. All this said yes DW has loads of potential with the best yet to come.

Perennial Remedial Student of the Mike Solli School of Economics. One day I might graduate.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 15
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 2:01:50 PM   
Canute0

quote:

All these are good points (including what Erik has said) but the time scale would have to allow for time so a player can react (and see the actions happening)

Yep a first warning when the happyness start to go down.
When you get the warning that the planet is refusing to pay tax, its allready to late to do anything. Mosttime you just can sell the planet to the other Empire.

quote:

Troops geting stronger each fight upto a strengh of 30000.

(in reply to Mifune)
Post #: 16
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 2:12:51 PM   
siRkid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canute

quote:

Troops geting stronger each fight upto a strengh of 30000.

Thanks good to know.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 17
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 3:21:56 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: jscott991

This is a silly, gamey situation that no amount of exposition can justify.

System One has two planets, X with 10 billion people and Y with 4 billion people. I invade and take over planet Y, presumably defeating its forces and subjugating its population. Two seconds later, Y has the capability of not only defeating my Empire, but taking over my troops' equipment and using it against me. If they had that capability, why didn't they resist the invasion to begin with? What's more, this situation is resolved, not using the ground combat system, but using the the "population satisfaction/happiness" system, which is completely inappropriate.

But, it gets sillier. If I had taken over Planet X first, I would have had no problem at all. Why would planet X's status affect the defense forces of Planet Y and vice versa?

This is a classic example of "broken as designed." The intersection of the happiness/rebellion system, which is unrelated to the combat system, produce an absurd result.

You realize the upshot of this is that the gaming system has produced a situation where some planets are impregnable because they are the lesser of two planets in a system. Does that many sense?

It leads to the gamey situation of always taking over the largest, which is, frankly, not that intuitive. That would be like MacArthur invading Japan first during his island hopping campaign.

You are dead on. And if you take planet X first, then planet Y can come with it via rebellion. It is infuriating to try to invade planet Y, because planet Y is impregnable, and just steals your troops as soon as they invade.

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 18
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 7:56:45 PM   
Yarasala

@Erik: when you are at it, is there a possibility to refine the troop handling some more? Right now it seems the auto AI recruits a lot of troops (some 8 or 10 or so) at the home planet, but only one everywhere else. For one that makes it quite difficult to refill your troop transports if far away from home, because although you can recruit your own troops and leave automation on, most of the time I only think of that when a troop transport arrives at a planet and there are not enough troops ...

I suggest the following:

- Ability to set a maximum and minimum number of troops per planet. Troops are automatically recruited until the maximum is reached. When a troop transport fetches troops the minimum number is left at the planet so as to not strip it of all ground defenses. Of course the AI should be able to uses that system also.

- Troop transports keep the "load troops" order until they are full. For that they stay at the planet where they began loading troops although that may last longer than going somewhere else but prevents them from scattering and moving far away in search of troops. Or even better, make it two separate commands so that the player (and the AI) can decide according to the situation at hand.

- Ideally there should be an option whether the most or the least experienced troops should go on board of troop carriers.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 19
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 8:43:08 PM   
Canute0

quote:

Right now it seems the auto AI recruits a lot of troops (some 8 or 10 or so) at the home planet, but only one everywhere else

Not true, it looks like the AI recruit troops depend on the population on a planet.
On any AI empire planet with high population i encounter 6-11 troops so far.
New colonies got 0 troops.

quote:

Troop transports keep the "load troops" order until they are full.

You should try to give the troop transport the Load troop command, then turn it on automatic. After a while he is full. Better dont put it into a fleet.

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 20
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 9:13:27 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yarasala
@Erik: when you are at it, is there a possibility to refine the troop handling some more? Right now it seems the auto AI recruits a lot of troops (some 8 or 10 or so) at the home planet, but only one everywhere else. For one that makes it quite difficult to refill your troop transports if far away from home, because although you can recruit your own troops and leave automation on, most of the time I only think of that when a troop transport arrives at a planet and there are not enough troops ...

Actually, this has already been improved in the current 1.0.4.6 public beta.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 21
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 9:38:31 PM   
Yarasala

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canute

quote:

Right now it seems the auto AI recruits a lot of troops (some 8 or 10 or so) at the home planet, but only one everywhere else

Not true, it looks like the AI recruit troops depend on the population on a planet.
On any AI empire planet with high population i encounter 6-11 troops so far.
New colonies got 0 troops.

Ok, I did not play enough to have reliable information about that it seems.
Still, my suggestions hold, since I want to be able to set troop recruitment independent of population.

quote:

quote:

Troop transports keep the "load troops" order until they are full.

You should try to give the troop transport the Load troop command, then turn it on automatic. After a while he is full. Better dont put it into a fleet.

Good to know as a workaround for now. But I tend to lose track of ships that move away from the locations I ordered them to.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 22
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 10:13:52 PM   
Fishman

quote:

Technically, your troops didn't "defect". Rather they were slaughtered while trying to hold back the planet-wide rebellion and their equipment procured by the rebels to equip their own units.
If that's so, why are the defending units YOUR race instead of theirs?

quote:

That shouldn't actually be difficult: If a rebellion occurs, the planet immediately switches sides and gains a rebel militia, with your existing garrison as the invaders. If your garrison successfully "invades" the planet, you retake the planet and put down the filthy rebel scum. Otherwise they are killed and the rebels keep the planet.

< Message edited by Fishman -- 5/17/2010 10:15:46 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 10:51:03 PM   
taltamir

quote:

- Troop transports keep the "load troops" order until they are full. For that they stay at the planet where they began loading troops although that may last longer than going somewhere else but prevents them from scattering and moving far away in search of troops. Or even better, make it two separate commands so that the player (and the AI) can decide according to the situation at hand.

how about they do go to other planets, but then come back?

So, say I order my troop transport near Sol3 to load troops... it loads 3 from Sol3, then 2 from alpha centauri, then 5 from planet X, and so on... and when its finally full, it comes back to the point where it originally was, near sol3.

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 24
RE: Game Stopper - 5/17/2010 11:10:55 PM   
gijas17

I find that total destroying an race causes a civil war and a division in my empire even playing as a military dictatorship? I can handle a colony in a enemy system revolting due to take-over but I find that my own home colonies rebel far to often though its usually related to my funds draining or declaring war in the galaxy with several races at once. Still learning the "cause and effect" factors in this game and coming from GC 2 and the AI in that game didn't help.

< Message edited by gijas -- 5/17/2010 11:11:44 PM >

"Our strategy is to destroy the enemy from within, to conquer him through himself."

- Adolf Hitler

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 25
RE: Game Stopper - 5/18/2010 4:03:50 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: gijas

I find that total destroying an race causes a civil war and a division in my empire even playing as a military dictatorship? I can handle a colony in a enemy system revolting due to take-over but I find that my own home colonies rebel far to often though its usually related to my funds draining or declaring war in the galaxy with several races at once. Still learning the "cause and effect" factors in this game and coming from GC 2 and the AI in that game didn't help.

First, understand that the biggest factor that is destroying your planets morale is that you are attacking and killing a race that is living on your planets. They don't like it, and just becasue you are a dictatorship doesn't make them like you anymore for it.

Second, you know you can manually adjust tax rates do counter unhappiness, right?

Edited for spelling.

< Message edited by Gargoil -- 5/18/2010 4:04:35 PM >

(in reply to gijas17)
Post #: 26
RE: Game Stopper - 5/18/2010 7:32:23 PM   
Yarasala

quote:

quote:

So, say I order my troop transport near Sol3 to load troops... it loads 3 from Sol3, then 2 from alpha centauri, then 5 from planet X, and so on... and when its finally full, it comes back to the point where it originally was, near sol3.

Not ideal in my eyes (because when I urgently need troops and would also take a partially loaded transport I would still have the problem that the ships would not be where I expected them to be), but I could live with that.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 27
RE: Game Stopper - 5/18/2010 8:37:10 PM   
taltamir

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not ideal in my eyes (because when I urgently need troops and would also take a partially loaded transport I would still have the problem that the ships would not be where I expected them to be), but I could live with that.

Currently the only command under "load troops" is "in nearest planet". It should be removed and replaced with two commands:
1. "until full" - load troops until full then return to location it was in when the command was initially given
2. "within this system" - where it only loads troops within this system and doesn't leave it.

I can see cases where both are useful.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/18/2010 8:38:21 PM >

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 28
RE: Game Stopper - 5/18/2010 11:34:24 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Currently the only command under "load troops" is "in nearest planet". It should be removed and replaced with two commands:
1. "until full" - load troops until full then return to location it was in when the command was initially given
2. "within this system" - where it only loads troops within this system and doesn't leave it.

I can see cases where both are useful.

I second this. The current method is tedious. Or a third option, when automated, they fly around picking up troops until full, then go park themselves until needed. Then you can take them off automation to attack, but put them back on and let the AI take care of loading troops for you.

Also an option in the fleet screen to 'LOAD TROOPS' from that screen instead of having to choose each ship individually.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 29
RE: Game Stopper - 5/19/2010 12:06:49 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
I second this. The current method is tedious. Or a third option, when automated, they fly around picking up troops until full, then go park themselves until needed. Then you can take them off automation to attack, but put them back on and let the AI take care of loading troops for you.

sometimes I will see them doing it when automated, but often they just sit there doing nothing. I don't know what determines which ship would do so and which ship would not.

quote:

Also an option in the fleet screen to 'LOAD TROOPS' from that screen instead of having to choose each ship individually.

That would be useful.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Game Stopper Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI