Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Exclamation marks on bases

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Exclamation marks on bases Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exclamation marks on bases - 5/20/2010 4:55:05 PM   
Cavalier99

Apologies in advance if this question has been answered before. If it has I cannot track it down neither can I find it in the manual.

My problem is this. I presume the exclamation marks that appear at bases indicate a deficiency of some sort or other, colour coded with red being the worst. Now is it always obvious what the problem is? Should you always try to correct the problem? Should you only attempt to correct certain deficiencies? Do you only bother with front line bases or do you ignore them all?

Hopefully the picture will demonstrate my dilemma. Full campaign playing solo and as the Allies (well I am a beginner). First turn - 8th December

At Diego Garcia there is a red exclamation mark. Opening the base window I can see that required support is 9 whereas support is a red 7 which is less than the required figure. Is this why I get a red exclamation mark on the base?

Addu however shows a yellow exclamation mark yet from the base screen I cannot see that its short of anything. OK it has no fuel but its not using any so why the yellow exclamation mark.

I would be grateful if one of the older hands could clarify the intention of the exclamation marks and whether they are of any real importance.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Exclamation marks on bases - 5/20/2010 4:56:11 PM   
The Gnome

I believe a yellow exclamation point indicaties low supply, and a red one is out of supply.

(in reply to Cavalier99)
Post #: 2
RE: Exclamation marks on bases - 5/20/2010 5:16:12 PM   
Cavalier99

Hi The Gnome,

If its supply how come as supply is not showing as an issue at either location. According to the base information Diego has 483 and only requires 25 per day roughly 18 days supply. Addu has 566 and requires 102 per day, only sufficient for 5 days. If it is simply a supply issue should'nt Addu be the red exclamation mark and Diego the yellow? Or am I missing something?

(in reply to Cavalier99)
Post #: 3
RE: Exclamation marks on bases - 5/20/2010 5:26:31 PM   
Chickenboy

Hi Cavalier99,

The exclamation marks serve to direct your attention to the base for some form of insufficiency. Usually, a red exclamation means the base is below 'requested' supply levels. A yellow exclamation mark indicates that it is less than 2x 'requested' supply levels.

I've also seen exclamation marks originate on map hexes when there is an insufficient AV for the garrison and there's a peasant revolt. I have not seen the red exclamation marks (or yellow) for support deficiencies (or near deficiencies), but I believe that's what you are experiencing here.

In the case of the insufficient AV for garrison, those messages are in the combat replay and the OP report. I don't believe that the other reasons for exclamation marks make it to the OP report, thus requiring your constant attention on the map.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to Cavalier99)
Post #: 4
RE: Exclamation marks on bases - 5/20/2010 5:31:59 PM   
ckammp

The new map icons are detailed in section 6 of the Interface Addendum pdf.

Yellow Exclaimation Point: The base is below 2X needed supply level, but above the minimum required supply level.

Red Exclaimation Point: The base is below the required supply level and reaching a critical level, OR the base had a partisan attack due to low garrison.

The icons show the status of the base for the previous turn. Their purpose is to alert the player of potential problems at bases. If the problem causing the icons is solved during the current turn, they will not be present for the next turn.

In your example, at the start of the game, Diego Garcia has 20 supply, while the required supply level is 25. Thus, you see a red exclaimation point on the second turn.
For Addu, at-start supply is 102, and required supply is 200. That causes a yellow exclaimation point.
Since you now have more than 2x required supply at both bases, you will not see the icons on your next turn.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to Cavalier99)
Post #: 5
RE: Exclamation marks on bases - 5/20/2010 5:40:30 PM   
Cavalier99

Many thanks Chickenboy for the assistance and to you ckammp for the definative answer. Makes sense now. Thought I'd looked at all of the addendums closely but obviously missed that one.

Only one question remains to be answered. How much notice do you take of them? Do players religiously attempt to address all deficiences? Should one investigate every exclamation mark base each turn? Or merely concentrate on the front line/percieved important ones?

(in reply to Cavalier99)
Post #: 6
RE: Exclamation marks on bases - 5/20/2010 5:43:26 PM   
USSAmerica

I would check bases with exclamation marks each turn.

My remaining question is where did the supply at both of the bases in your example come from on Dec 8th if they were so low on Dec 7th?

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Cavalier99)
Post #: 7
RE: Exclamation marks on bases - 5/20/2010 6:15:08 PM   
ckammp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cavalier99

Many thanks Chickenboy for the assistance and to you ckammp for the definative answer. Makes sense now. Thought I'd looked at all of the addendums closely but obviously missed that one.

Only one question remains to be answered. How much notice do you take of them? Do players religiously attempt to address all deficiences? Should one investigate every exclamation mark base each turn? Or merely concentrate on the front line/percieved important ones?

I pay attention to the icons depending on the strategic value of the base. If the base is in a non-critical or non-threatened area, I will not worry too much about it. If the base is important, them I will make an effort every turn to correct the problem.

My reacton to the icons will also depend on whether or not their is any building activity planned or on-going at the base. Low supply will prevent building up the AF and Port levels of a base.

In some cases, there is not much you can do to correct the situation. For example, in China you will see frequent red and yellow exclaimation points; this is due to the chronic (and hard to control) supply shortage. Again, the strategic value of the base should guide your response.

(in reply to Cavalier99)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Exclamation marks on bases Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI