Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ersatz kibitz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Ersatz kibitz Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/23/2010 5:14:51 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Pfft...I find your choice of Gin wholy unsuitable for this thread. Hendrick's is the only real gin worthy of the name.

Once you've tried it, you'll wonder why you were wasting so many of your good gin-drinking years on the other tapwater.

K...I'll try it. Can you get it at Costco?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 871
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/23/2010 5:21:29 PM   
sprior

Give me a scotch any day

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 872
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/23/2010 6:21:03 PM   
BrucePowers

Margarita for me. I don't, however, like tequila by itself.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 873
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/23/2010 6:24:54 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

I find your choice of Gin wholy unsuitable for this thread. Hendrick's is the only real gin worthy of the name.

I disagree. I would not even put Hendrick's into a plastic bottle. Bombay Sapphire is the pinnacle of the glass bottles, Booths from the plastic bottle category is 90 proof to boot!

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 874
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/23/2010 6:34:13 PM   
BrucePowers

Maybe M&M Enterprises can supply us with some suitable beverages.

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 875
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/23/2010 6:34:19 PM   
USSAmerica

I don't drink gin.  If I wanted to bite on a piece of pine wood, that's what I would do.  I drink rum, like a good sailor.  Rhum Barbancourt, whenever I can get it.  

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 876
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/23/2010 6:39:25 PM   
BrucePowers

How about Black Velvet?

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 877
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/23/2010 6:50:33 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

Give me a scotch any day
Gin or vodka before dinner and then a nice sip of almost any Islay before bed time.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 878
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/23/2010 9:03:59 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

Pfft...I find your choice of Gin wholy unsuitable for this thread. Hendrick's is the only real gin worthy of the name.

Once you've tried it, you'll wonder why you were wasting so many of your good gin-drinking years on the other tapwater.

K...I'll try it. Can you get it at Costco?

Dunno. It hasn't been here in the states too terribly long (couple years?), but is in more widespread distribution now.

Post #: 879
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/23/2010 9:05:43 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Give me a scotch any day

If I wanted to suck on oak-flavored peat moss, I'd soak some of our garden mulch in ethyl alcohol and drink it. Much cheaper.

Now Irish whiskey...now we're talkin'

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 880
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/23/2010 9:08:56 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

I find your choice of Gin wholy unsuitable for this thread. Hendrick's is the only real gin worthy of the name.

I disagree. I would not even put Hendrick's into a plastic bottle. Bombay Sapphire is the pinnacle of the glass bottles, Booths from the plastic bottle category is 90 proof to boot!

Ahem....

[Removes gloves. Throws them at feet of khyberbill. Inserts tongue firmly in cheek]

You sir, are a boor. You've no more taste in alcohol than you do football teams, I'd wager. I hereby challenge you to a drinking contest at our next AE reunion. Martinis at 10 paces!

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 881
New and Improved New Hebrides - 5/23/2010 9:19:34 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I'm not sure what happened to the possible Jap carriers near Luganville yesterday. They may still be there so what I am doing is dangerous. Even worse, it may be a bait. That's OK..it's good to cheer up the Japs once in a while. I would be cranky with all that dried fish too.

The SW TF will lay off New Scotland and try to capture LRCAP from New Ednburgh. Meanwhile English's force will lay off about 225 miles SE of Luganville. As the Japs are no longer moving down the road, I decided to leave the two Army regts. at La Foa (oops...um..cal it New Perth...that should confuse the Hell out of everyone) and build some foxholes. A whole host of transports are surging toward New Edinburgh.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 882
RE: New and Improved New Hebrides - 5/23/2010 10:35:20 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Feb, 23, 1942:

I never get tired of being right (because it doesn't happen all that much).

The Japs are indeed landing in the New Hebrides, at Lugan...err..I mean New Stornaway to be precise. It looks like the landing force is comprised of two Bn. Naval Guard and a coy of SNLF. If I can interdict the landing then the USMC Para Bn wich is about 2 days away by fast troopship (in amphibious mode) might save the day. The only unit ahsore is Bn of Field Arty which roughed up the landing troops a bit but did not hit any troopships. There is no bombardment force yet and there is apparently no CAP (suggesting no carriers) as a raid of 8 B-17's from Suva encountered no CAP. Of course, they didnt hit anything either but it is good intel.

If both US cruiser forces reached their assigned stations (I can't look at the file yet...because I am at work not working very hard) , they will both be ordered in at flank speed to try to drive off or sink the transports. Tally Ho!

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 5/23/2010 10:36:29 PM >

Post #: 883
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/24/2010 3:33:14 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

quote:

Give me a scotch any day

If I wanted to suck on oak-flavored peat moss, I'd soak some of our garden mulch in ethyl alcohol and drink it. Much cheaper.

I've got some Irish whiskey named Powers.....Really

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 884
RE: New and Improved New Hebrides - 5/24/2010 3:36:14 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

Feb, 23, 1942:

I never get tired of being right (because it doesn't happen all that much).

The Japs are indeed landing in the New Hebrides, at Lugan...err..I mean New Stornaway to be precise. It looks like the landing force is comprised of two Bn. Naval Guard and a coy of SNLF. If I can interdict the landing then the USMC Para Bn wich is about 2 days away by fast troopship (in amphibious mode) might save the day. The only unit ahsore is Bn of Field Arty which roughed up the landing troops a bit but did not hit any troopships. There is no bombardment force yet and there is apparently no CAP (suggesting no carriers) as a raid of 8 B-17's from Suva encountered no CAP. Of course, they didnt hit anything either but it is good intel.

If both US cruiser forces reached their assigned stations (I can't look at the file yet...because I am at work not working very hard) , they will both be ordered in at flank speed to try to drive off or sink the transports. Tally Ho!

What are you doing at work on a Sunday? You work Sundays?

Post #: 885
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/24/2010 8:31:37 PM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

I don't drink gin.  If I wanted to bite on a piece of pine wood, that's what I would do.  I drink rum, like a good sailor.  Rhum Barbancourt, whenever I can get it.  

But Mike, when you head into malarial territory (such as South Carolina, Georgia and Florida - not to mention Tirks and Caicos) you need the quinine in Tonic Water. Yeah, you can drink Rum and Tonic (or Vodka and Tonic) but it doesn't seem to taste nearly as good as Gin and Tonic.

And for me, I prefer either Lamb's or Pusser's rum when I can get it...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 886
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/24/2010 10:09:59 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Based on this discussion I would like to put forward a sociological hypothesis:

With increasing age, the male homo sapiens increasingly concerns himself with what alcoholic spirits he imbibes rather than what the effect of those spirits is, as he was wont to do in his younger days.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 887
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/24/2010 10:38:20 PM   
Chickenboy

While the initial aspect of your hypothesis is correct, young lad, the latter is incorrect. I *wish* that I could drink 'all the good stuff'-after all life's too short to drink cheap beer (bourbon, irish whiskey, gin, etc.). However, I cannot drink as much of the good stuff, lest I be completely useless the day following.

I hope this helps your sociologic information gathering.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 888
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/24/2010 11:11:02 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

You sir, are a boor. You've no more taste in alcohol than you do football teams, I'd wager. I hereby challenge you to a drinking contest at our next AE reunion. Martinis at 10 paces!

And do not even suggest making a martini with anything other than gin. The V-word has it's place, but certainly not in a Martini!

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 889
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/25/2010 2:03:33 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

While the initial aspect of your hypothesis is correct, young lad, the latter is incorrect. I *wish* that I could drink 'all the good stuff'-after all life's too short to drink cheap beer (bourbon, irish whiskey, gin, etc.). However, I cannot drink as much of the good stuff, lest I be completely useless the day following.

I hope this helps your sociologic information gathering.

I gather that my hypothesis stands.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 890
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/25/2010 1:53:31 PM   
Chickenboy

I disagree with Sprior. This is NOT the world's worst AAR. Perhaps it would do to have a breakdown on the breakdown of his majesty's naval forces in the DEI?

Post #: 891
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/25/2010 4:32:08 PM   
BrucePowers

Memorial Day weekend is coming up....Margaritas for everybody.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 892
Ersatz Coastal Defence unit - 5/25/2010 6:01:38 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I struck out. The Jap landing foce at New Stornaway was very efficiently loaded, they bugged out upon the approach of the US crusiers, leaving 1,200 combat troops ashore. This proved too much for the Field Arty Bn. "defending" the base. Here is a safety tip....don't use a field arty unit as an emergency CD unit. It doesn't work. The cavalry will instead divert to New North Wist and I will try to draw the line there.

FBI Warning: Telling the Japs about the position of our troops and ships or disclosing our secret and fiendishly clever code system is against the law and may result in death by firing squad or a $500 fine, whichever is greater.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 5/25/2010 6:07:38 PM >

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 893
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/25/2010 6:04:24 PM   
sprior

quote:

Perhaps it would do to have a breakdown on the breakdown of his majesty's naval forces in the DEI?

PoW and Repulse are on their way round to Sydney after their dance with Betty, PoW has 25 sys damage and 34 eng, R has 26 sys and 18flt. Warspite has just arrived at Darwin, which would be great if there was any fuel there.

Reso is at Columbo, Royal Sovereign and Indomitable at Karachi, all heavy USN forces have been moved to the east coast of Oz.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 894
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/25/2010 6:23:33 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

PoW and Repulse are on their way round to Sydney after their dance with Betty, PoW has 25 sys damage and 34 eng, R has 26 sys and 18flt. Warspite has just arrived at Darwin, which would be great if there was any fuel there.

Reso is at Columbo, Royal Sovereign and Indomitable at Karachi, all heavy USN forces have been moved to the east coast of Oz.

Chicago and Pensacola are still at Darwin trying to pump out, but will have to go to Melbourne or Sydney for complete repairs.

BTW...remember those hapless Banshees which appeared in Oz with the pilots still in training pants? Well, flying from Ambon, they put two big holes in Jap DD's operating off Kendari today.

First the USN SBD's had a run at them:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Boeton at 70,108

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 1

Allied aircraft
SBD-3 Dauntless x 11

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-3 Dauntless: 1 destroyed, 5 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Ayanami
DD Arashio
DD Shikinami

Then the Banshees went in:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Boeton at 70,108

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 24 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3

Allied aircraft
A-24 Banshee x 24

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
A-24 Banshee: 3 destroyed, 6 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Arashio, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
DD Ayanami, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

DD Shikinami

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 5/25/2010 6:35:40 PM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 895
RE: Ersatz Coastal Defence unit - 5/25/2010 9:42:19 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

FBI Warning: Telling the Japs about the position of our troops and ships or disclosing our secret and fiendishly clever code system is against the law and may result in death by firing squad or a $500 fine, whichever is greater.

let's see...sterling silver bullets, one per firing line memeber...how many in a firing line? don't know the protocol on that one...are these firing line chaps paid by the hour? need the going rate for "Firing Line Member"...oh, wait...you said GREATER of the two...i would opt for one firing line dude with a single bullet from walmart...that should slide nicely under the $500 limit...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Post #: 896
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/25/2010 9:58:24 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

at Darwin, which would be great if there was any fuel there.
It would be nice if Darwin could draw supply from somewhere. In my games, the Mayor or whoever is in charge has pissed someone off down south and no supply/fuel ever shows up by land.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 897
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/25/2010 11:00:45 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

at Darwin, which would be great if there was any fuel there.
It would be nice if Darwin could draw supply from somewhere. In my games, the Mayor or whoever is in charge has pissed someone off down south and no supply/fuel ever shows up by land.

Dingoes......

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 898
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/26/2010 12:05:10 AM   
khyberbill

quote:

Dingoes......

I had an Australian Cattle dog once. They are part dingoe and it was the best dog I ever had.

Post #: 899
RE: Ersatz kibitz - 5/26/2010 3:18:07 AM   
Mynok

quote:

quote:

Give me a scotch any day

Irish whiskey is excellent, especially Bushmills Black. But a good Islay malt has so much more character. I am currently enjoying a nice bottle of Talisker from the Isle of Skye. So good.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 900
Page:   <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Ersatz kibitz Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI