Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some things which are show stoppers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Some things which are show stoppers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some things which are show stoppers - 5/24/2010 10:20:36 PM   
Gneisenau

#1. show stopper for me is that the Fleets do not stay together. When they are sent off to perform a mission, each ship travels at it's maximum speed. Fleets should travel at the speed of the S L O W E S T ship in the formation!!! #2. With all the setting on micro-manage, when new military ships are built, they default to "computer control". I have to continually go to the "Ship Listings" to change the newly created ships to manual. #3. The economy runs into the red even when there are very few ships to unpkeep. All the before mentioned things have frustrated me to the point where I'm going to have to park the game in a star dock untill they work as they should.
Post #: 1
RE: Some things which are show stoppers - 5/24/2010 10:26:23 PM   
Titanwarrior89

But the Show must go ON......Their working on upgrades and patches for the game......so hang in there.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Gneisenau)
Post #: 2
RE: Some things which are show stoppers - 5/24/2010 10:38:25 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gneisenau
#1. show stopper for me is that the Fleets do not stay together. When they are sent off to perform a mission, each ship travels at it's maximum speed. Fleets should travel at the speed of the S L O W E S T ship in the formation!!!

Two remedies for this. First, you can design your ships to have matching speeds. Second, you can order your ships to move to a gathering up point then order them to attack when they have all arrived.
quote:

#2. With all the setting on micro-manage, when new military ships are built, they default to "computer control". I have to continually go to the "Ship Listings" to change the newly created ships to manual.

Generally I click on the report of a newly constructed ship, and just order it to stop or move a small distance. I can then give it more involved orders later.
quote:

#3. The economy runs into the red even when there are very few ships to unpkeep. All the before mentioned things have frustrated me to the point where I'm going to have to park the game in a star dock untill they work as they should.

Things that will help your economy - create a design for a Very Small Spaceport. Minimum everything, but make sure they have a shipyard, Rec center, Med Center and a Trade center. These are easy for new colonies to build. Also, do not tax new colonies until they have are at 500m pop. The y grow much faster with the Rec and Med and no Taxes. Then they become worth taxing later. One last thing, it is a good idea to colonize or invade an independent as some point early on if you find one. That gives you a real boost in taxes.

< Message edited by Gargoil -- 5/24/2010 10:40:35 PM >

(in reply to Gneisenau)
Post #: 3
RE: Some things which are show stoppers - 5/24/2010 11:30:31 PM   
Athalian

quote:

#1. show stopper for me is that the Fleets do not stay together. When they are sent off to perform a mission, each ship travels at it's maximum speed. Fleets should travel at the speed of the S L O W E S T ship in the formation!!! #2. With all the setting on micro-manage, when new military ships are built, they default to "computer control". I have to continually go to the "Ship Listings" to change the newly created ships to manual. #3. The economy runs into the red even when there are very few ships to unpkeep. All the before mentioned things have frustrated me to the point where I'm going to have to park the game in a star dock untill they work as they should.

If you build by right clicking on the shipyard, they wont default as auto. Bit of a pain if many is built, but great to know bout if you only build couple each time :)

(in reply to Gneisenau)
Post #: 4
RE: Some things which are show stoppers - 5/25/2010 12:01:09 AM   
taltamir

hyperspace speed is the same for ships which have the same hyperspace core... upgrade your ships via retrofit. You can order an entire fleet to retrofit to latest model of each ship "type". once you do that they will all have equal speed.
personally, having ships move at the speed of the slowest would be a big problem... one obsolete ship would cripple the movement of the entire fleet. instead of a latecomer who joins the battle when it arrives, you end up with the entire fleet crawling and arriving too late.

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to Athalian)
Post #: 5
RE: Some things which are show stoppers - 5/25/2010 12:18:28 AM   
thiosk

I do not feel the fleet movement speed is a show stopper in any way.

Difficulty can be mitigated by adherence to simple tactical formula. Jumping directly from three star systems away into the center of a heavily defended enemy planetary system seems powerful, but a gamble. The general must understand his forces and deploy them properly for such an assault.

#2 bugs me too though, and I've made a couple posts on the subject, about changing the design concept of fleets from a hotkeyed group to a more clearly-defined tool for galactic domination.

All i can say about number 3 though is "lrn 2 economy lulllzzzzzorzlllz." It isn't immediatly apparent that you need population and luxury resources in large abundance to develop colonies into money makers, and cashflow can be negative if you expand faster than you develop.

< Message edited by thiosk -- 5/25/2010 12:21:58 AM >

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 6
RE: Some things which are show stoppers - 5/25/2010 12:48:48 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

hyperspace speed is the same for ships which have the same hyperspace core... upgrade your ships via retrofit. You can order an entire fleet to retrofit to latest model of each ship "type". once you do that they will all have equal speed.
personally, having ships move at the speed of the slowest would be a big problem... one obsolete ship would cripple the movement of the entire fleet. instead of a latecomer who joins the battle when it arrives, you end up with the entire fleet crawling and arriving too late.

Not entirely true.

You have to have adequate reactor to get them all to the same speed. Make sure you have enough reactors to get the full speed from your hyperdrive.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Some things which are show stoppers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI