Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why another WWI game?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> Why another WWI game? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why another WWI game? - 5/26/2010 5:38:45 AM   
Redmarkus5

I played one of the other Matrix WWI titles for a while, but watching your armies bang their heads against a wall in France/Belgium for 4 years is a bit like watching paint dry. Now we have 3-4 WWI titles to choose from - why do we need so many? I'd be amazed to learn that this period is the new hot topic amongst gamers...

Surely the devs could have put this effort into taking the excellent but simplistic WW2 Commander game to the next level?

< Message edited by redmarkus4 -- 5/26/2010 5:40:23 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Why another WWI game? - 5/26/2010 8:22:53 AM   
wodin

Well for me the more the better.....the gold version of WW1 is a superb game. Lets hope this is aswell.

Easy thing for people to do if they don't like it....don,t buy it....

There are enough new releases to please everyone and I'm obssessed with WW1 and am very pleased I'm being catered for.

As long as it doesn't play like WW2 with WW1 weapons.

< Message edited by wodin -- 5/26/2010 8:25:22 AM >

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 2
RE: Why another WWI game? - 5/26/2010 8:52:31 AM   
Lord Zimoa

quote:

Surely the devs could have put this effort into taking the excellent but simplistic WW2 Commander game to the next level?

Oh, a CEAW2 is very likely in the future.

We just needed a break and WW1 is quite interesting, it started as a conventional mobile 19th century war even in the West, but the Western Front soon became a deadlock.

Still fun as breaking through will be a real challenge for the player and it will require a perfect combination of strategy, timing, right commander choice, manpower, research, etc... to achieve.

Other fronts like The Eastern Front, The Balkans, Italian Front, Middle East were in a sense more mobile and all were quite different from one eachother and will require other approaches, strategies and challenges.

People always tend to associate WW1 with a fixed trench warfare as it became in the West. But there is more to it when you start looking deeper into WW1 history. In fact it is a mix of many fronts each will require another play style and strategy...

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Why another WWI game? - 5/26/2010 3:47:32 PM   
wodin

Ageod's WW1 game has proved we can have a WW1 grand Strategy game thats great to play.

Fingers crossed for this title.

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 4
RE: Why another WWI game? - 5/26/2010 6:45:26 PM   
tbsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa
People always tend to associate WW1 with a fixed trench warfare as it became in the West. But there is more to it when you start looking deeper into WW1 history.

Good point Tim.

Thinking of WW1 as 4 years of Trench head banging is a common misconception. WW1 had everything going on, even in the much maligned static western front. After the race to the sea in 1914 which led to the static positons and before the German's 'broke' the western front in March 1918, this theatre saw many raids into enemy lines, saw street fighting, house to house fighting etc. Loads of action(s) going on.

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 5
RE: Why another WWI game? - 5/27/2010 12:29:22 AM   
marklv

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

I played one of the other Matrix WWI titles for a while, but watching your armies bang their heads against a wall in France/Belgium for 4 years is a bit like watching paint dry. Now we have 3-4 WWI titles to choose from - why do we need so many? I'd be amazed to learn that this period is the new hot topic amongst gamers...

Why?? We might have 3-4 WW1 games but there are dozens of WW2 ones, that's why!!

Forget what happened on the Western front, there is a lot more to WW1 than the Western front. Besides, even the Western front was very active and quite mobile in 1914 and 1918, it's just that being such a short front and heavily packed with divisions, there was literally no room for a decisive breakthrough without tanks.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 6
RE: Why another WWI game? - 5/27/2010 6:04:55 AM   
OmegaMan1

quote:

Other fronts like The Eastern Front, The Balkans, Italian Front, Middle East were in a sense more mobile and all were quite different from one eachother and will require other approaches, strategies and challenges.

People always tend to associate WW1 with a fixed trench warfare as it became in the West. But there is more to it when you start looking deeper into WW1 history. In fact it is a mix of many fronts each will require another play style and strategy...

You are absolutely correct, Tim. Once you look beyond the Western Front, you realize how much more there is to the First World War. It's always good to see games that break the stereotype of WW1 being just trenches and deadlock. 

And as someone who greatly enjoyed CEAW and CNAW, I am VERY eager to see this new version of the game engine. Thanks for keeping the Commander game engine going strong.

(in reply to marklv)
Post #: 7
RE: Why another WWI game? - 5/29/2010 4:17:40 PM   
Fastsnake

This thread must have been made by a hater, no way otherwise to show us such a bad faith judgement.
Saying that playing a WWI game turns out to see a painting during four years because nothing is happening prove that he never played any of these games, except if he's the crappiest player ever.
And you're asking why there are SO MANY WWI games, whereas they could have made another WWI game... Honestly, how many WWII wargames are there? I don't even know, maybe more than 100.
And how many WWI are there? Three to this day, and four with this one.

So stop dissing the developers, while you don't even see this game run for the moment.

Friendly,
Fastsnake.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 8
RE: Why another WWI game? - 6/1/2010 3:33:34 PM   
Terminus

WWII is so hugely overrepresented on the gaming scene that I think we should praise any companies who move away from it. Just my two cents, you understand...

< Message edited by Terminus -- 6/1/2010 7:31:12 PM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 9
RE: Why another WWI game? - 6/1/2010 4:16:11 PM   
Bevington

There can never be too many WWI games for me! Way to go Slitherine & Matrix!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 10
RE: Why another WWI game? - 6/1/2010 4:46:17 PM   
wodin

There can never be to many for me...

I hope to see a wego tactical based WW1 flight game...command a squadron through the war....RPG elements..Historical and Player made Aces...Recon and Fighter wing aswell as a bomber wing..accurate flight modeled for aircraft....Manage repairs\patched up aircraft....Plane failures....mission planning...animated front line....all weapons modeled...historical tech improvements..pilot personalities...pilot error...promotions...medals...play all theatres any side....marvelous..

(in reply to Bevington)
Post #: 11
RE: Why another WWI game? - 6/1/2010 5:14:25 PM   
Lukas

quote:

I hope to see a wego tactical based WW1 flight game

Something simular to a football (soccer) management game would be cool, where you can follow the dogfights in realtime and give orders to the pilots (engage, regroup, formation types, ...).

When reading about WW1 air warfare I thought it would be cool to have a sort of WW1 airwar MMO game, where you join squadrons around the front, join missions, upgrade & paint your own aircraft etc. Combat in real time, top down (camera above aircraft), largely arcade style gameplay is what I had in mind. Just a fun WW1 shooter with RPG aspects. Whole wings of WW1 aicraft in custom paintjobs fighting eachother like a swarm of bees is just cool :)

< Message edited by Lukas -- 6/1/2010 5:15:05 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 12
RE: Why another WWI game? - 6/1/2010 10:45:19 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lukas

quote:

I hope to see a wego tactical based WW1 flight game

Something simular to a football (soccer) management game would be cool, where you can follow the dogfights in realtime and give orders to the pilots (engage, regroup, formation types, ...).

Good thinking...

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 13
RE: Why another WWI game? - 6/2/2010 10:15:15 AM   
Hexagon

Well, trench warfare with small advances at a great cost is part of western front but are other fronts in the war like east front where you can find more flexible operations with huge amounts of units, another interesting front is the Egipt-Arabia front who ends in a blitzkrieg battle, Meggido where mounted units do the panzer job and where Camels ans SE5 do the stuka job attaking ground objetives (special units in retreat, i remember a massacre in a pass...) and of course dont forgive the unexpected situations as in mount Matajur.

Ummm a game covering air war in WW1 is interesting i think in something like Gary Gribsby BoB for operational level and production but where you can create your own units (Jastas and sqd) and then pack it in flying circus. Another option is made a "Defending the reich" "achtung spitfire" based on WW1 for tactical battles

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 14
RE: Why another WWI game? - 6/11/2010 11:33:18 PM   
Andriko

As has been said, WW1 has many more fronts then just the West, and even the western front is fascinating. And besides, what more fun for an armchair general then to try and break that kind of front and make it operationally mobile (tactically it could be very moible sometimes).

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 15
RE: Why another WWI game? - 6/13/2010 2:09:34 PM   
wodin

Tactically it was mobile alot of the time...

(in reply to Andriko)
Post #: 16
RE: Why another WWI game? - 6/14/2010 2:11:04 AM   
Zorch

I wholeheartedly agree about WWI being much, much more than trench warfare on the Western Front.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 17
RE: Why another WWI game? - 6/14/2010 9:24:58 AM   
wodin

Even on the Western front tactically we can still have a great game....where talking 40 metre hexes here for Squad\section scale...there where trench raids...house to house fighting....small scale assaults..etc etc...you could have thousands of great scenarios at the squad\section level for WW1 on the western Front....not even taking into account 1914 and 1918...maybe need a fair few squads so it would have a pretty big unti load but it can work and be great fun...get the graphics and atmosphere right and your aways...

People automatically picture mass attacks, walking across the battlefield and mowed down by MGs and this is what happened all the time on the western front...that is wrong...tactics where used (not on the somme because the Kitcheners Army was thought untrained to use tactics that had been developed for the regular army so they were told to walk across, this didn't happen afterwards).

Many smaller attacks where successful...many coy sized trench raids where successful...even in the big offensives certian parts of the battlefield had great successes...I jyst feel at a 40 meter hex scale we could have a good western front game going on. Well I'm repeating myself now....sorry

< Message edited by wodin -- 6/14/2010 9:30:38 AM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> Why another WWI game? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI