Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Master Wishlist Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Master Wishlist Thread Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/25/2010 6:45:36 PM   
Nebuladon

I would like to see Machine/Synthetic races added to the game like the Mekklar or Cynoids from MoO. I want to be the horde threatening the galaxy, and giant bugs aren't that scary. Your race can just invent some kind of super insecticide or something and eradicate them. Synthetics are usually tough to kill and can survive things that would kill anything organic. That's galactic threat material.

Other requests:

Please expand Pirates. Both their behavior and how you can interact with them.

Improved Mod support. In game like this, mod support makes a 10x better.

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 661
Expanding the civilian Logistics - 5/25/2010 7:58:48 PM   
Shark7

I've posted this in the general discussion forum to discussion as well: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2476899&mpage=1&key=�

Tired of the Colony Spamming Race? Want a more realistic growth and expansion Model? Just want the game to be a bit more in depth and go at a more realistic pace?

I have a propsition for you!

Civilian Logistic System:

Key Points:

-Colony Development should be dependant on availability of supplies.
-New colonies are not able to supply the needs of the colonists.
-The industrial base of established colonies would need to make the supplies and ship them to new colonies.
-The civilian shipping and logistics component is already in game, this would just expand upon it.

Basics:

-Each colony can take raw resources and produce supplies in different categories.
-A certain level of development is required to produce each type. The is the abstract 'industrial base'.
-Any product that can not be supplies by the colony must be shipped by one that can.
-Availability of supplies will directly affect colony development.

The Supply Types:

-Basic Needs: This is the food stuffs and very basic constuction Materials (think 2x4's) needed to supply a colony. This is broken into the two mentioned...Foodstuffs and Building Materials.
-Enhanced Needs: Medical Supplies and water production. The growing colony can now produce its own 'synthetic' water from hydrogen and oxygen gas. it can also provide its own medical supplies.
-Advanced: Heavy contstruction Materials. This allows for the building of skyscrapers and large industrial type buildings.
-Luxury Materials: Simple, at this level a colony can provide everything it needs as well as the 'fun' stuff. Luxury Supplies is the category.

Development Levels:

-Level 1-20: The colony is unable to produce even basic needs for its own citizens. The colony is dependant upon the merchant fleet and other more developed colonies to provide these goods. Colony deliveries will be heavily weighted to Foodstuffs, Building Materials, Water, and Medical Supplies. At this level, Heavy Construction Materials and Luxury Supplies will not be delivered.
-Level 2 21-50: At this level, the colony is able to provide its own basic needs. It will still not be able to provide enough medical supplies or fresh water (if the planet is arid) for its citizens. This planet will start to receive Heavy Constuction Materials and Luxury supplies, but deliveries will still be heavily weighted to Medical Supplies and Water.
-Level 3 51-75: This is a developing colony that is able to supply all of its citizens living needs, and can now start concentrating on constuction. Heavy Constuction Materials will be in high demand. Luxury goods will also be in high demand.
-Level 4 75-99: At this level the colony is fully industrialized and is able to supply its citizens with all their basic needs. Luxury goods will be in extremely high demand and require inbound shipments.
-Level 5 100+: The colony is fully developed and can supply all goods. This colony will also prodcue excess of ALL supplies that can be sent to other developing colonies.

Also, planets that are not condusive to the species colonizing it (example: Volcanic, Ice or Desert for Humans) will take longer to develop and require higher levels of supply deliveries.

To Summarize: At level 1, the colony is completely dependant on supply deliveries, at level 2 it provides food and basic building materials, at level 3 it can provide for the basic and medical needs of all colonists and start producing excess, at level 4 the colony is now providing all the constuction materials needed, and at level 5 the colony produces everything you need.

New Resource Categories:

-Grains
-Meats
-Water
-Vegetables
-Flora
-Iron
-Timber
-Jewels
-Rubber
-Rare Edibles
-Titanium

These are converted to the various supply categories at colonies with the proper development level.

-Foodstuffs: Grains, Meats, Vegatables, and Flora convert into foodstuffs at a rate of 2:1 (that is 2 raw resource becomes 1 foodstuff)
-Basic Construction Materials: Timber, Rubber, Iron, Steel, Copper, Aluminum, Carbon, and silicates convert to basic building materials at a rate of 2:1.
-Water: Continental, Marshy Swamp and Ocean planets have this in abundance. Additionally, Hydrogen and Oxygen can be combined to produce water at a 1:1 ratio (1 each of Oxygen and hydrogen = 1 water)
-Medical Supplies: Flora and rare edibles convert to medical supplies at a rate of 3:1.
-Heavy Constuction Materials: Rubber, Iron, Steel, Copper, Aluminum, Carbon, Iridium, Titanium and silicates convert to Heavy Constuction Materials at a rate of 4:1.
-Luxury Goods: Rare edibles, Jewels, Gold, Silver, Timber, and Flora convert to luxury goods at a rate of 5:1.

All of this would be in addition to the existing Logistics model in the game.

The idea behind this is to slow colony spamming. You could still spam out the the ships, but the colonies would revolt if you could not provide adequate supplies to them, effectively spinning off and forming their own little factions or joining empires that could provide the supplies. With a system such as this in place, it would add more depth to the civilian logistics side, force actual thought into colonial expansion, and generally slow the pace of the game. This could also be made optional in the game setup process. (slidebar with Logistics to either Basic or Advanced) for those that prefer a faster paced game.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Nebuladon)
Post #: 662
RE: Expanding the civilian Logistics - 5/25/2010 9:48:16 PM   
Athalian

+1! that sounds awsome! :D

Also, would be nice if tourists actually leave resorts every now and then :=)

Though i think that there should be something like hive worlds in w40k, a whole world dedicated to industry and production and totally reliant on other worlds to supply food and what not. Several worlds would be needed to supply one industry world...

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 663
RE: Expanding the civilian Logistics - 5/25/2010 9:50:25 PM   
Yarasala

While I find Shark7's suggestions quite good, I fear it might be too complicatied to implement them.

So I stand by my simple suggestion made in another thread to make it possible to drastically increase fuel consumption for travelling, best by a slider in the options screen where one can then adjust the fuel consumption between 1 (the current consumption) and, say, 20 (20 times the current consumption). If that is not at once possible, make it a moddable variable.
This change would be very easy to implement (I think ), and would make possible a completely different game with slow expansion that would give a large galaxy a much more epic feeling.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 664
RE: Expanding the civilian Logistics - 5/25/2010 9:56:35 PM   
Astorax

Yarasala, it would certainly be a more expensive expansion, not necessarily a slower one if you wanted to eat the gas bill so YOUR empire got that juicy world with X resource first. I would like to play that (mod) though, heh. Also, along with that, an expanded tech section with more techs.

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 665
RE: Expanding the civilian Logistics - 5/25/2010 10:37:28 PM   
Yarasala

quote:

ORIGINAL: Astorax

Yarasala, it would certainly be a more expensive expansion, not necessarily a slower one if you wanted to eat the gas bill so YOUR empire got that juicy world with X resource first. I would like to play that (mod) though, heh. Also, along with that, an expanded tech section with more techs.

It will definitely be a slower expansion if your current fuel supply per fuel cell only brings you to the next system or so ...
But I admit that because of the economic system there would be a higher chance to start out with a lack of certain resources. That may be a game stopper for some and a challenge for others

About the tech tree: I'm definitely for expanding it a lot!

(in reply to Astorax)
Post #: 666
RE: Expanding the civilian Logistics - 5/26/2010 1:54:30 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yarasala

quote:

ORIGINAL: Astorax

It will definitely be a slower expansion if your current fuel supply per fuel cell only brings you to the next system or so ...
But I admit that because of the economic system there would be a higher chance to start out with a lack of certain resources. That may be a game stopper for some and a challenge for others

About the tech tree: I'm definitely for expanding it a lot!

Just make sure that the home planet is suitable for the species that is on it. Empire hubs would also need a high level of starting development.

Its certainly doable, though it will take a bit of coding which we leave to Elliotg for the final say. I'm the idea guy...the one that coders love to hate.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 667
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/27/2010 1:53:41 PM   
Yarasala

- If the diplomatic advisors suggest going to war or imposing trade sanctions then let them give a reason for doing so.

- I want to see "the Horde", a large fleet of alien nomads coming from another galaxy and attacking a random part of the galaxy to take as much planets as they can (wasn't it one of the Civ games where such a concept was implemented? I cannot remember, but must be a long time since I saw that). While that alone may be quite simple to implement, it would be even more fun if that Horde brings with them a bunch of alien technology which is not otherwise attainable. But apart from trade (which they will not do until established in our galaxy) there must then the possiblilty to gain such techs by disassembling their equipment (so the game must be changed to not only give bonuses to existing techs but to open up entirely new branches of the tech tree when examining equipment).

(in reply to Nebuladon)
Post #: 668
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/27/2010 6:57:40 PM   
Yarasala

I just found out a problem with ship design: I'm playing the Boskara who have the Shaktur Fire Storm torpedo from the start. While having a lot of fire power, this torpedo has a slow speed and short range, so I designed my ships and bases to have not only those, but also some conventional torpedos.
But whenever I research a new component (or get one by espionge or trade), I auto-upgrade my designs by selecting all of them and pressing the "Upgrade Selected Designs" button. Now all conventional torpedos in my designs are upgraded to Shaktur Fire Storm and I have to replace them manually once again ...

So my wish is: give every component in the design screen a "Fix component" checkbox so if you check it this components are excluded from the auto upgrade process (and also prevents the AI to upgrade it if the auto design AI is active).

Edit: since I now must be very careful with that "Upgrade Selected Designs" button I have to check every time I steal research or scrap a ship whether I completed a new component or not. So it would be fine when you would get the same message in such cases as when you get a new component by research.

< Message edited by Yarasala -- 5/27/2010 7:28:49 PM >

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 669
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/27/2010 7:40:41 PM   
taltamir

quote:

I just found out a problem with ship design: I'm playing the Boskara who have the Shaktur Fire Storm torpedo from the start. While having a lot of fire power, this torpedo has a slow speed and short range, so I designed my ships and bases to have not only those, but also some conventional torpedos.
But whenever I research a new component (or get one by espionge or trade), I auto-upgrade my designs by selecting all of them and pressing the "Upgrade Selected Designs" button. Now all conventional torpedos in my designs are upgraded to Shaktur Fire Storm and I have to replace them manually once again ...

interesting, what version are you using? 1.05 will completely rebalance weapons since right now shaktur firestorm, megatron Z4, the two superweapons you can build, and all the lasers are worthless...
But some time ago already shaktur was seperated from other torpedoes into its own category so that regular torpedoes will NOT auto upgrade to it. If they do it is a bug (might be because you are playing boskara)...
If you could, you should save a game with a ship design with another torpedo, then upgrade it and if it switches to shaktur then upload the save (the save from before you hit upgrade). Since the behaviour you describe was intentionally altered...

you are using v1.0.4.9 right?
what version was the game when you STARTED that one (even minor changes require a new game to take effect)?

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/27/2010 7:41:14 PM >

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 670
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/27/2010 8:36:50 PM   
Yarasala

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

quote:

interesting, what version are you using? 1.05 will completely rebalance weapons since right now shaktur firestorm, megatron Z4, the two superweapons you can build, and all the lasers are worthless...
But some time ago already shaktur was seperated from other torpedoes into its own category so that regular torpedoes will NOT auto upgrade to it. If they do it is a bug (might be because you are playing boskara)...
If you could, you should save a game with a ship design with another torpedo, then upgrade it and if it switches to shaktur then upload the save (the save from before you hit upgrade). Since the behaviour you describe was intentionally altered...

what version was the game when you STARTED that one (even minor changes require a new game to take effect)?

I use 1.0.4.9 and started the game with this same version ...

But even if that special case may be a bug I would still like to be able to exclude certain components from auto upgrading.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 671
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/27/2010 8:43:40 PM   
taltamir

quote:

quote:

quote:

But even if that special case may be a bug I would still like to be able to exclude certain components from auto upgrading.

Well, so would I... although, if shaktur firestorm, megatron Z4, and novacore NX200 were finally fixed not to suck then there would be no NEED to exclude components from auto upgrading...

also, its totally impractical and wrist breaking to do that before implementing component stacks (that is, instead of 40 separate lines each saying "Thunderbolt MX torpedo" have 1 line saying "50x Thunderbolt MX torpedo")

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 672
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/27/2010 8:58:42 PM   
Yarasala

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, so would I... although, if shaktur firestorm, megatron Z4, and novacore NX200 were finally fixed not to suck then there would be no NEED to exclude components from auto upgrading...

also, its totally impractical and wrist breaking to do that before implementing component stacks (that is, instead of 40 separate lines each saying "Thunderbolt MX torpedo" have 1 line saying "50x Thunderbolt MX torpedo")

Not true. I like to mix weapons because of their different properties, e. g. weapon range. So Maxos Blaster SL is in every aspect better than Concussion Beam except range where the latter is far superior. So I like to have ships with both weapons on them.
Actually my suggestion with the "fix component" checkbox would be easier to implement without component stacking ...

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 673
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/27/2010 9:09:56 PM   
taltamir

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not true. I like to mix weapons because of their different properties, e. g. weapon range. So Maxos Blaster SL is in every aspect better than Concussion Beam except range where the latter is far superior. So I like to have ships with both weapons on them.
Actually my suggestion with the "fix component" checkbox would be easier to implement without component stacking ...

Only if you have a ship with 20 maxos XL which you want to change to 10 maxos XL and 10 concussion beam.
But in which case it would still be less clicks with component stacking if it gives you the ability to type a number of components... And if not, the greater ease on anything else would be nice.
With component stacking you wouldn't use upgrade, but copy as, then change the amount of maxos XL from 20 to 10, add a single concussion beam, and then change it to 10 as well (via typing the number in a the box).

Anyways, range is a huge factor.

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 674
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/27/2010 11:15:03 PM   
Simulation01

My Wishes:

1. Empire Territory - I would like for each empire to have territory that would extend out from each solar system they control. It would be kind of like Civilization IV. Other empires would not be able to send warships in your territory without a right of passage agreement. Trade ships would not be affected by this. Also, Where each Empires territory rubbed up against another there would then exist an area between them that would be considered a "Neutral Zone" Either side could send whatever ships they wanted to in their but, would incur a diplomatic penalty and raise tensions between the empires. Another empire might respond by sending their own warships into the Neutral Zone to confront yours.

2. Ship class tonnage. That is that an escort class ship would only be able to be built at a certain tonnage... This would make ship classes and designs actually mean something. I would also like it so that you could not create designs out of the other empires ship style. That is just crazy that you can do that. I would also like to have more ship classes ( corvettes, light-cruiser, battle-cruiser, battle ship, Dread-naught, world ship, fighters, carriers )

3. I want the ability to control exactly where my research points go.

4. I want the ability to create multilateral alliances similar to NATO. I also want to be able to carry on multilateral negotiations. That is to say that I would like to be able to try and broker cease fire deals between two or more empires by making proposals at a table that would have representatives of each empire there that would respond whenever I made a suggestion. I would also like to be able to have planning sessions with an ally. that is to say that I would like to be able to coordinate an offensive with an ally by proposing targets and/or combined assaults on a target system or empire.

5. I think it has been mentioned before but, I too would like to see the ability to create artificial worlds ( Dyson Spheres, Ring Worlds ).

6. I would like to be able to create jump-gates, star-gates or artificial wormholes ( randomly placed natural wormholes would be cool as well...they would act as strategic must haves in the game like the wormhole in Deep Space Nine).

7. I would like some planet based weapons.

8. I would really love to see actual beam weapons....continuous beam weapons.

9. Colonize-able asteroids(fields).

10. Empires that don't found colony's across the galaxy.

11. I would like ground combat included in the game. Whenever you invade a colony it would switch to some sort of ground combat simulation. Also, I would like more options for ground forces for example...you could have fighters, infantry, armor, apc's, artillery...you know ground combat stuff.

This is it for now...I reserve the right to edit with more later

Some of this has been mentioned by others, however I thought it best to say it as well in order to demonstrate that there are people out here that agree with them.

< Message edited by Simulation01 -- 5/27/2010 11:19:12 PM >

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 675
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/27/2010 11:30:55 PM   
taltamir

quote:

2. Ship class tonnage. That is that an escort class ship would only be able to be built at a certain tonnage... This would make ship classes and designs actually mean something. I would also like it so that you could not create designs out of the other empires ship style. That is just crazy that you can do that. I would also like to have more ship classes ( corvettes, light-cruiser, battle-cruiser, battle ship, Dread-naught, world ship, fighters, carriers )

+1 to that.

quote:

3. I want the ability to control exactly where my research points go.

You can, its called crashing a research, you pay money and all research points go towards one field (I think you also get a lot more research points that way). This should not change... the private sector does random sporadic research, the government can fund much more focused, and more expensive, research.

quote:

4. I want the ability to create multilateral alliances similar to NATO. I also want to be able to carry on multilateral negotiations. That is to say that I would like to be able to try and broker cease fire deals between two or more empires by making proposals at a table that would have representatives of each empire there that would respond whenever I made a suggestion. I would also like to be able to have planning sessions with an ally. that is to say that I would like to be able to coordinate an offensive with an ally by proposing targets and/or combined assaults on a target system or empire.

That would be nice.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/27/2010 11:31:23 PM >

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 676
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/27/2010 11:54:22 PM   
Simulation01

@taltamir...

I respectfully disagree with regards to research. The current "crash research" ability is really no ability at all. I mean sure it works, however near complete random research is really unrealistic. I don't mind having to build research facility's, but relying on the type of facility built to generate research points for a specific field is not very efficient and is too costly.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 677
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/28/2010 12:00:52 AM   
taltamir

Disagreeing is fine, I also respectfully disagree with you, so lets discuss this a bit.

Name some games where you get free research? I would dare say I can't think of any. The standard in 4X is to pay for research.
the crash research is an excellent ability and works very well. DW is pretty unique in that you actually get FREE research applied to random fields without paying for it. what you are asking for is to expand said free research to be totally directed.
I use crash research exhaustively and it works out very well.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/28/2010 12:01:07 AM >

Post #: 678
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/28/2010 12:08:37 AM   
Simulation01

quote:

Disagreeing is fine, I also respectfully disagree with you, so lets discuss this a bit.

Name some games where you get free research? I would dare say I can't think of any. The standard in 4X is to pay for research.
the crash research is an excellent ability and works very well. DW is pretty unique in that you actually get FREE research applied to random fields without paying for it. what you are asking for is to expand said free research to be totally directed.
I use crash research exhaustively and it works out very well.

Have you ever played Space Empires V ? If you have then that is the kind of research system that I would enjoy.
Space Empires V wiki

I would like it if you built research stations or improvements to your planets that generated research points that you could then allocate to different fields depending on your interests or needs. It wouldn't be free since you have to pay for the station in the first place plus pay for it's upkeep.

The situation that we have now for research is kind of like being overly taxed. Like a VAT tax. You are taxed at every level of production and then are also taxed at the consumption level. Too bureaucratic and is penalizing or stifling.

< Message edited by Simulation01 -- 5/28/2010 12:13:37 AM >

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 679
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/28/2010 12:20:16 AM   
taltamir

I have played space empires V, it is buggy and barely complete... Space Empires IV is better...
Anyways, Space Empires is a very different games, I noticed a lot of your feature requests are basically "make DW into a space empires clone"... they are two different games that play differently.

Anyways, comparing the difference is cost it is effectively free right now. The cost of research stations is insignificant in DW. You just have to keep research stations from being destroyed (or pay slightly more to have them in every spaceport, and thus distributed across your empire).
The difference in cost is tremendous. And typically games that generate RPs do so by having very expensive buildings OR yearly research "budget" (research stations in DW are super cheap; there is NO yearly research expense)

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/28/2010 12:21:04 AM >

Post #: 680
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/28/2010 12:32:35 AM   
Simulation01

quote:

I have played space empires V, it is buggy and barely complete... Space Empires IV is better...
Anyways, Space Empires is a very different games, I noticed a lot of your feature requests are basically "make DW into a space empires clone"... they are two different games that play differently.

Anyways, comparing the difference is cost it is effectively free right now. The cost of research stations is insignificant in DW. You just have to keep research stations from being destroyed (or pay slightly more to have them in every spaceport, and thus distributed across your empire).
The difference in cost is tremendous. And typically games that generate RPs do so by having very expensive buildings OR yearly research "budget" (research stations in DW are super cheap; there is NO yearly research expense)

Well, I always played Space Empires V mods. I really liked a lot of the concepts in that game even if they didn't all work....I thought that if they could get them working they would be awesome. I have really had a lot of fun with that game and in fact DW pulled me away from it. I am not seeking a Clone of Space Empires in DW, however just because a good idea/concept from another game is implemented in DW does not make it a clone. It simply means that it was a good idea and is worthy of being used.

As for the research I guess I just feel more comfortable with having a yearly research expense like you say. It seems more efficient.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 681
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/28/2010 2:33:45 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulation01

quote:

Well, I always played Space Empires V mods. I really liked a lot of the concepts in that game even if they didn't all work....I thought that if they could get them working they would be awesome. I have really had a lot of fun with that game and in fact DW pulled me away from it. I am not seeking a Clone of Space Empires in DW, however just because a good idea/concept from another game is implemented in DW does not make it a clone. It simply means that it was a good idea and is worthy of being used.

You are right, it was wrong of me to jump to conclusions in such a manner. A superior feature can be implemented across the board without making the games clones of each other.

quote:

As for the research I guess I just feel more comfortable with having a yearly research expense like you say. It seems more efficient.

I admit I am more used to that way of doing things, it took me a while to adjust to the distant worlds method of research. but I grew to like it.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/28/2010 2:34:34 AM >

Post #: 682
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/28/2010 11:14:43 PM   
Yarasala

Enhanced story mode moddability:

I assume that right now all story relevant locations are generated at the start of the game and the messages do nothing but direct the player to one location after another (I never made it past the fifth message or so because I'm only at my 4th game right now; the first one ended in early defeat, the 2nd and 3rd I had to abandon because of bugs, so I'm not really sure how the story mode works).

Anyway, what I would like to see:

- Story mode messages must be moddable

- Introduction of at least one secret faction that does not show up as empire (at least not in the beginning, can found one later in the story). Faction can have ships, bases, spies, even planets, but those are marked uncolonized until the faction presence is discovered (by an exploration ship or a colonization attempt). Faction has no private sector until they form an official empire. Faction has a unique tech tree, in the course of the story certain faction techs can be discovered by the player.

- Some kind of interaction between the faction an the AI empires should be possible, but how exactly that could work I have no clear idea yet.

- Messages should trigger events, such as (just some examples):
- - direct the player to certain locations (as it is now)
- - confronting the examining ship with a faction fleet (like the pirate fleet in one of the ruin events, but the fleet composition should be moddable also) or a faction explorer that flees when you approach, but leads you into an ambush if you follow it (in game terms: possibility to let appear a fleet of one or more ships with certain orders)
- - appearance of structures on planets or wherever (e.g. the message is "After a lot of effort your computer specialists are finally able to decrypt the data crystal you found in the wreck of the foreign space ship on the moon HX208. You cannot yet make much sense of the foreign language and coordinate system used but as far as you can tell the data speak of a base in the general vicinity of the Firefly Nebula in sector H5. Said base is apparently designed to tap into the sun of the system it is located to generate tremendous amounts of energy for a project unfortunately not further described. You have no choice but to look for that base if we want to find out more about it."
Only then this base is created by the game on a planet in sector H5, exploration that has occured before that therefore didn't and couldn't find it. That is important if certain events have to happen in order to bring the story along.
Those structures can also have a value as such (in the above example the base could server as energy research facility, but other benefits are possible also)
- - faction spies infiltrating your empire
- - destruction of structures, from ships to bases to entire planets (or even suns?)
- - etc.

Goal is to be able to develop a whole new story consisting of messages that trigger events which can have a real gameplay effect (or can be merely descriptive to bring along the plot). I don't know if I made myself clear enough but I hope so

If such a thing can be made possible with DW and the developers are interested I can flesh out a more detailed example.

(in reply to Nebuladon)
Post #: 683
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/29/2010 7:55:17 PM   
Yarasala

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Only if you have a ship with 20 maxos XL which you want to change to 10 maxos XL and 10 concussion beam.
But in which case it would still be less clicks with component stacking if it gives you the ability to type a number of components... And if not, the greater ease on anything else would be nice.
With component stacking you wouldn't use upgrade, but copy as, then change the amount of maxos XL from 20 to 10, add a single concussion beam, and then change it to 10 as well (via typing the number in a the box).

Anyways, range is a huge factor.

I just had an idea how the upgrade problem could be mitigated when implementing by checkbox would be too complicated:

Insert a single checkbox at the design screen saying "Upgrade only most recent components to latest version". If it is unchecked (what it may be by default) then the button "Upgrade selected designs" works as it does now. But if it is checked, then the game checks every component in the design: if there is only one of a group, it is updated to the latest available component. But if there are more than one, then only the most advanced component gets updated to the latest available component of that group.
So if e. g. a ship has only Velocity Shard torpedos than all of them get updated to Epsilon Torpedo KTX-5200. But if you have Velocity Shards as well as Epsilon KTX-3000 in your design, only the Epsilon KTX-3000 get updated to Epsilon KTX-5200, while the Velocity Shards remain.

Not the best solution, but easier to implement and it would work at least for how I design my ships

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 684
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/29/2010 8:52:26 PM   
Yarasala

I would like to have the possibility to have more automation options for constructors:

- Automatically build only resort bases

- Automatically build only gas mining stations

- Automatically build only mining stations

- Automatically only repair ships

With one of these commands they still operate under automation, but do nothing else but this one task as long as there is something to do (and refuel as necessary).

(in reply to Nebuladon)
Post #: 685
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/29/2010 9:13:54 PM   
Szkeptik

I have a problem with the range of the ships. I don't know if it was mentioned before, I haven't read all 23 pages.
So, I hate it that the enemy can just fly right to my main colony, passing by a lot of well armed systems. It sort of defeats the whole idea of a good defence strategy if the enemy can just fly by everything right into te heart of my empire.

It's a big change, but I think the ships should have a maximum range, - depending on tech level - from their colonies. Much like it was in Armada 2526. That allowed for some much deeper strategy, as staging areas and forward military bases were really useful. The enemy fleet couldn't just skip through, they had to take the outlying colonies first.

Other possibility that comes to mind would be to make a technology that's something like a long range hyper-deny that would extend interstellar distances, but make it so that it could disrupt the warp field of ships passing through, so it could rip them out of hyperspace in addition to just not allowing them to enter. These special HD components could be fitted to bases in different star systems and they would form an inpenetrable net. The enemy would have to destroy at least one base to punch a hole on the barrier.

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 686
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/29/2010 9:45:34 PM   
Yarasala

quote:

ORIGINAL: Szkeptik

I have a problem with the range of the ships. I don't know if it was mentioned before, I haven't read all 23 pages.
So, I hate it that the enemy can just fly right to my main colony, passing by a lot of well armed systems. It sort of defeats the whole idea of a good defence strategy if the enemy can just fly by everything right into te heart of my empire.

It's a big change, but I think the ships should have a maximum range, - depending on tech level - from their colonies. Much like it was in Armada 2526. That allowed for some much deeper strategy, as staging areas and forward military bases were really useful. The enemy fleet couldn't just skip through, they had to take the outlying colonies first.

Ships *have* a maximum range that is dependent on fuel capacity. But it's too big, I stated that elsewhere and made the suggestion to introduce an (game or at least mod) option to divide the maximum range per fuel unit by a factor from 1 (then it's the same as now) up to, say, 20 (20 times the fuel consumption than now).

quote:

Other possibility that comes to mind would be to make a technology that's something like a long range hyper-deny that would extend interstellar distances, but make it so that it could disrupt the warp field of ships passing through, so it could rip them out of hyperspace in addition to just not allowing them to enter. These special HD components could be fitted to bases in different star systems and they would form an inpenetrable net. The enemy would have to destroy at least one base to punch a hole on the barrier.

That's also a good idea.

< Message edited by Yarasala -- 5/29/2010 9:46:14 PM >

(in reply to Szkeptik)
Post #: 687
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/29/2010 10:34:02 PM   
the1sean

I like these fuel range ideas, and I think a big component is having a moddable tech tree.

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 688
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/30/2010 12:35:56 AM   
taltamir

quote:

I would like to have the possibility to have more automation options for constructors:

- Automatically build only resort bases

- Automatically build only gas mining stations

- Automatically build only mining stations

- Automatically only repair ships

With one of these commands they still operate under automation, but do nothing else but this one task as long as there is something to do (and refuel as necessary).

+1...

basically, break up the current automation into more fine tuned automation...

Ideally we should have an entire screen dedicated just to automation where it can be fine tuned.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/30/2010 12:36:01 AM >

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 689
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 5/30/2010 9:11:30 PM   
Yarasala

Give troop transports in the main screen a set of icons that shows how many troops they have loaded and can load (e. g. for a troop transport with capacity 5 that has 3 troops loaded show three green and two red small circles at the upper left position of the ship image).
That way e. g. after an attack one would not have to click on every transport to check which one has how many troops and needs to reload.

(in reply to Nebuladon)
Post #: 690
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Master Wishlist Thread Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI