Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle - 4/22/2010 2:52:31 AM   
Fallschirmjager

I got both of these books tonight for $7 not knowing anything about them. An Army at Dawn had on it's front cover 'Winner of the Pulitzer Prize' emblazoned. That drove me to choose it over other similar priced books. I also picked the second book in the series. There is supposed to be a third book in the series but I did not see it on the table and cannot find anything on it online. I figure it has not been released yet.
Has anyone read these an have opinions? North Africa and Italy are probably the least represented theaters of war. Probably even less than the Pacific. It was good to find books about them.
Post #: 1
RE: An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle - 4/22/2010 3:03:51 AM   
Joram

Army at Dawn is an excellent book. It finds the right balance of personal detail and general history. While the theater isn't the most interesting to me, I found the book quite a good read.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 2
RE: An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle - 4/22/2010 3:28:12 AM   
thegreatwent

Army at Dawn was very well done. I am reading Day of Battle now and so far so good. The criticism of American commanders in Army at Dawn was pointed but backed up, particularly as regards to General Fredendall. Day of Battle is even more critical of Allied officers, both UK and US. Since I've not finished the book I'll reserve comment other than to observe that the Italian campaign was a mess. The author, Atkinson, writes in an accessible style. His notes section is a goldmine for anyone interested in following up the authors assertions. Some of his sources I've tracked down as they seemed interesting.

Enjoy your purchases, I plan on picking up the third book when released.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 3
RE: An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle - 4/22/2010 7:45:46 AM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

I got both of these books tonight for $7 not knowing anything about them. An Army at Dawn had on it's front cover 'Winner of the Pulitzer Prize' emblazoned. That drove me to choose it over other similar priced books. I also picked the second book in the series. There is supposed to be a third book in the series but I did not see it on the table and cannot find anything on it online. I figure it has not been released yet.
Has anyone read these an have opinions? North Africa and Italy are probably the least represented theaters of war. Probably even less than the Pacific. It was good to find books about them.

I read Army at Dawn last year, and I'm reading Day of Battle now. I enjoyed Army at Dawn. It game a good perspective of the Alllied Command I thought, while still providing interesting details at the operational level.

I'm not very far into Day of Battle yet, which is ok as I don't think his thrid in the series has been released yet.

Rick

Post #: 4
RE: An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle - 4/22/2010 10:14:44 AM   
D.Ilse

I got Day of Battle as I am a fan of the Italian Theater.

I am waiting for the 3rd book..I don't own Army at Dawn, but I'm seen it in HB at Barnes for less than 10$ so I might pick it up(Checked it out from the library a couple of times for referance for wargaming info)

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 5
RE: An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle - 4/22/2010 12:50:50 PM   
Joram

quote:

ORIGINAL: thegreatwent

Army at Dawn was very well done. I am reading Day of Battle now and so far so good. The criticism of American commanders in Army at Dawn was pointed but backed up, particularly as regards to General Fredendall. Day of Battle is even more critical of Allied officers, both UK and US. Since I've not finished the book I'll reserve comment other than to observe that the Italian campaign was a mess. The author, Atkinson, writes in an accessible style. His notes section is a goldmine for anyone interested in following up the authors assertions. Some of his sources I've tracked down as they seemed interesting.

Enjoy your purchases, I plan on picking up the third book when released.

Yes, good points, he wasn't afraid to point out the failings of the commanders, American and British. Talked about a lot of tension between them too.

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 6
RE: An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle - 4/22/2010 3:30:14 PM   
Terminus

Both are superb. AFAIK, the third part isn't due out until 2012.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

Post #: 7
RE: An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle - 4/22/2010 11:27:23 PM   
Arctic Blast

Both are terrific books. I'm looking forward to the third part as well.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 8
RE: An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle - 4/24/2010 3:11:48 PM   
SlickWilhelm

I enjoyed both books, too. The African and Italian theatres of operations were the lest well known to me, so I found both books fascinating. 

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 9
RE: An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle - 5/30/2010 5:31:57 AM   
Fallschirmjager

I just finished an Army at Dawn and it was excellent. Now I want a game based on the Tunisian campaign!
I finished the prologue of the Day of Battle this afternoon and should have it completed in about three weeks.

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 10
RE: An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle - 5/30/2010 9:12:54 AM   
MikeBrough

I enjoyed both books and I'm looking forward to the final instalment - there's no sign on his website of when that might be.

That said, it's pretty much a series of anecdotes/vignettes. In around 800 pages (each), Atkinson never gives me the feel of a sweeping epic or an overall view of the campaigns in Tunisia or Italy. His style of writing isn't quite at Stephen Ambrose's level but it's close.

And, be aware, this is the story of the American Army in those campaigns. British Commonwealth contributions are glossed over and, in many cases, criticized unfairly. The US Army is seen maturing from a green and incompetent start in Torch through increasing capability in Sicily and Italy and I wouldn't be surprised if Volume 3 sees them approaching superman status. Meanwhile, similar British cock-ups are taken as evidence of an over-the-hill and slightly ossified approach to war. Perhaps I had a chip on my shoulder and was looking for slights, real or imagined.

The series is still well worth a read.

2 good representative reviews on Amazon: Streetyson's at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Army-Dawn-North-Africa-1942-1943/dp/0349116369/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275206000&sr=8-1 and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Army-Dawn-North-Africa-1942-1943/dp/0349116369/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275206000&sr=8-1.

< Message edited by MikeBrough -- 5/30/2010 9:13:26 AM >

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.

Post #: 11
RE: An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle - 5/31/2010 5:57:40 AM   
Lord_Stanley

Sadly Brits needed Ameri's much more than Yanks needed Brits.

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 12
RE: An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle - 5/31/2010 6:25:26 AM   
D.Ilse

I just started D'Este's Bitter Victory this weekend

(in reply to Lord_Stanley)
Post #: 13
RE: An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle - 5/31/2010 7:08:46 AM   
MikeBrough

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord_Stanley

Sadly Brits needed Ameri's much more than Yanks needed Brits.

Sorry, I don't get the relevance of that statement. Care to expand?

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.

(in reply to Lord_Stanley)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> An Army at Dawn/The Day of Battle Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI