Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 6:49:23 PM   
Richard III

I`ve been buying Matrix Games since WITP Ver 1.0 and been around the Forums , in various names since Dave started them. I go back to PS-1`s G.G `s Pac War Ver 1.10, Atomic Games, Civ II early HPS and more. Yes, I`m old.

One of the things that is an ongoing problem with Matrix is that most of the Games are " works in progress". By that I mean they change so much over time that the issue manuals quickly become useless or outdated through patch changes.

An even bigger issue is these complex games don`t seem to have an updated FAQ based on often asked Forum questions so new guys can ease into the experience. It seems Matrix`s position is: Post on the Forum and hope someone who knows answers the question...

DW looks like a Game I`d like, but scanning the Forums there _seems_ to be real issues with it OR people don`t understand the interface OR both. I no longer want to pay to become a Matrix Beta Tester nor do I want to scale the huge, undocumented learning curve it _seems_ this game presents nor spend time asking Forum questions.

Convince me I`m wrong and I`ll buy the Game today....
Post #: 1
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 7:00:58 PM   
lordxorn

Based on what you said, I would say wait for a about 6 months.

Currently DW is in the squash most of the bugs mode (Version 1.0.5 will bring more features), and I know you are criticizing Matrix for releasing games in a beta state.

I personally don't mind, and was happy to fork over my hard earned cash for DW in a beta state as you describe it.

The bottom line is that without smaller publishers like Matrix, and even smaller devs like Codeforce, we would not have games that most of us on these forums like to play.

Codeforce simply did not have the resources to squash all bugs before release, and such had to let it get exposed to the public for an exposure to a wider variety of pc configurations.

You see the problem is not developers themselves, but the open architecture of a PC based system which is it's greatest strength and weakness.

Even the largest developers and publishers like the DREADED EA, put games out with a multitude of bugs.

So you seem to be holding a smaller publisher & dev to a higher standard where there are not enough resources, because if they postponed release to have the game in a state you mention they would be out of business.

So I happily support smaller publishers like Matrix and devs like Codeforce with my money, as long as the support is behind it.

Trust me when I say this, the support is 100% behind all of Matrix games.

< Message edited by lordxorn -- 5/31/2010 7:35:08 PM >

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 2
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 7:16:11 PM   
Vlad77

Lordxorn,

You are so very correct in your assertions.

I want to offer another example. The Witcher is an EXCELLENT game. It had the backing of of a BIG game publisher and a recoding of BioWare's Aurora engine. Sounds like a sure recipe for a game with no bugs. While it did receive favorable reviews on initial release, there were problems. The game's authors did a remix, called The Director's Cut, added 5,000 new lines of dialogue, squashed bugs, AND, offered this version FREE to those who bought the original game. So, CDProjekt, the game's creators had a LOT of resources and really gave a damn about gamers.

Here we have Matrix Games and Codeforce. One a small publisher and the other a VERY small developer. They have been working VERY hard to make this the BEST space 4X game out there. I think they are doing a SPLENDID job, and all of this without the huge resources available to the big guys.

I guess I have been very fortunate. This game has run BEAUTIFULLY for me since release and the patches have only improved an already great game. Try looking for support on EA or Atari's sites. You aren't going to see people like Eric there. You aren't going to see the devs there.

How I approached this game initially was in the following manner: I turned off SOME of the automation. I did this because the VERY first time I tried the game, I had ALL of the automation turned ON. It was overwhelming! Also, go through the tutorials. There is a LOT to absorb in this game, but, it will reward you!

If you have ever played tabletop wargames, you KNOW that sometimes the rules and the errata make you want to rip your hair out. But, how cool when you finally "get it"!!!

Hang in there!

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 3
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 7:16:39 PM   
Locarnus

hm, tough one

for me there are two main misses as of 1.04x

I cant build a territory without strategy restrictions and the options which should make the game more challenging are canceling out each other (posted it in more detail in the wishlist thread, page 24)

on the other hand as of yet I had more than 50 hours of fun with it, so comparing it to non 4X/5X games it is absolutely worth the 30 bucks (download version, dont read manuals anyway).

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 4
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 7:39:37 PM   
Erik Rutins

I should note that one of the things we have on our to do list for 1.0.5 is fully updating the Galactopedia to reflect the changes and improvements since release.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 5
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 8:06:25 PM   
Locarnus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vlad77

How I approached this game initially was in the following manner: I turned off SOME of the automation. I did this because the VERY first time I tried the game, I had ALL of the automation turned ON. It was overwhelming! Also, go through the tutorials. There is a LOT to absorb in this game, but, it will reward you!

I did a similar strategy.
Read the forum, watched the tutorials (made a mindmap in my head), quick started with mostly auto, checked fields from mindmap ingame to really get basic concepts and functions, started with new game with my own settings and learning by try and error (time for this about 30min - but had quite some exp with 4X)

Havent seen customer support like what Erik does anywhere else, so I m inclined to give more feedback as a result:

about the tutorials: if you split those more, they may be of more use.
kind of a split by automation settings
so that i can watch the ship design tutorial when i first turn off auto ship design
and a basic one making clear that everything else can be automated first

(in reply to Vlad77)
Post #: 6
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 8:52:59 PM   
HsojVvad

Well I believe you will have to wait. From seeing how they are updating all the time to our input, it looks like they will still be doing alot of it, so either enjoy the game as it is now, or you will have to wait. Put it this way. What are you going to do with the $50 if you don't buy Disntant Worlds? Are you going to buy something else with it, save it, or do nothing with it?

It's hard to say if you will like the game as it is, but I find it lots fun and enjoy the improvements they keep making. I found the game fun right at version 1.0 and a few others as well, so it's not like that game is unplayable. Well a few people might say that, so my guess is you will have either have to wait, or just get it now. It looks like you will be getting the game sooner or later anyways, so might as well get the game now and learn. Yes it's a steep learning curve.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 7
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 8:57:39 PM   
thiosk

let me put it this way.

Even if you never, ever take the game out of the box, it is worth sending Matrix $50 dollars to simply support their business model.

I've played SoaSE all of four times, but was delighted to shell out 50 bux for that one. DW will last a lot longer for me, as its a real 4x game.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 8
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 9:20:14 PM   
HsojVvad

I have reread your post and I can understand you do not want to support Martrix games work in progress. Just put it this way, me and other found the game very playable at 1.0 and a few others havn't found the game playable at all till 1.0.4.5. I havn't read any comments regarding the new patch 1.0.4.9 so there could still be a few bad feelings about it. Only you know of your experiances with Matrix. With your previous experiance of past Matrix games, I would say no, don't get the game and wait.

I am finding lots of fun with the game. I can't tell you one way or the other to get this game. If anyone asked me if they should get the game, I would say yes. Do you like Hearts of Iron and Europa Univeralisis? Then I say yes get this game. But yes it is being update quite frequently, and go back and read all the posts and read what people have said. Give close attention to the people who say the game is unplayable and see if you can live with this or not.

It looks like you are going to buy this game anyways, so unless there is another game you want to buy I say get it. Even if you hate the current state it is in, when the patch does come out, you will already have the game and will not have to worry about having money to buy it later. Plus you will have past the learning curve and when the patch does come out that you like, you will know how to play the game and not worry about learning how to play it then.

Hope this helps.

(in reply to thiosk)
Post #: 9
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 9:27:04 PM   
Locarnus

quote:

ORIGINAL: thiosk

I've played SoaSE all of four times, but was delighted to shell out 50 bux for that one. DW will last a lot longer for me, as its a real 4x game.

Yeah, inferring from the last 15 years DW will be most likely my 4X standard for the next 5 to 10 years anyway (certainly when they open it for modding), and with some house rules it is even now (would just miss the living galaxy feeling).

(in reply to thiosk)
Post #: 10
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 9:46:09 PM   
Richard III

Thanks all.

Just to clarify, I`m not slamming Matrix and understand their business model ( how & why they release Games as they do ) is a function of their size and resources. No one at Matrix is making big money. FWIW, I`ve bought almost everything they have made since WITP.

I`m just looking for an *entry point* into the Game that does not end up being a frustrating experience due to bugs and lack of documentation...and Eric I think the lack of a FAQ that is a Sticky up top is a major problem with your more complex releases..as example, Hearts of Iron and Europa Univeralisis would have died long ago without that support

How long can it take to collect the often asked questions and correct answers, cut & paste, and give players a first stop rather then having to ask on the Forums over and over.

As example, I just came accross this, which looks like it should be in a FAQ instead of being lost amid the aimless chatter in the threads :

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2477630

Just a friendly thought

Rich

< Message edited by Richard III -- 5/31/2010 9:57:35 PM >

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 11
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 9:57:59 PM   
Gertjan

quote:

I should note that one of the things we have on our to do list for 1.0.5 is fully updating the Galactopedia to reflect the changes and improvements since release.

Great news. Also for the new players! I hope you also fix the issue with the galactopedia that it is not visible for some people for strange reasons (it works on my laptop, but not on my desktop)

Post #: 12
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 10:06:16 PM   
Locarnus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

quote:

Great news. Also for the new players! I hope you also fix the issue with the galactopedia that it is not visible for some people for strange reasons (it works on my laptop, but not on my desktop)

Create a wiki, insert the actual galactopedia, post a link in this forum, wait some weeks, recompile the wiki into the galactopedia for each new patch
life can be so simple...

additional option: open for modding, attract modders -> time decreased from weaks to hours...
additional benefit: simple stat balancing, ship design (and most things annoying but not drastically changing in the foreseeable future) will resolve itself before you can bring out your next patch

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 13
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 10:17:07 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

Based on what you said, I would say wait for a about 6 months.

Currently DW is in the squash most of the bugs mode (Version 1.0.5 will bring more features), and I know you are criticizing Matrix for releasing games in a beta state.

I personally don't mind, and was happy to fork over my hard earned cash for DW in a beta state as you describe it.

The bottom line is that without smaller publishers like Matrix, and even smaller devs like Codeforce, we would not have games that most of us on these forums like to play.

Codeforce simply did not have the resources to squash all bugs before release, and such had to let it get exposed to the public for an exposure to a wider variety of pc configurations.

You see the problem is not developers themselves, but the open architecture of a PC based system which is it's greatest strength and weakness.

Even the largest developers and publishers like the DREADED EA, put games out with a multitude of bugs.

So you seem to be holding a smaller publisher & dev to a higher standard where there are not enough resources, because if they postponed release to have the game in a state you mention they would be out of business.

So I happily support smaller publishers like Matrix and devs like Codeforce with my money, as long as the support is behind it.

Trust me when I say this, the support is 100% behind all of Matrix games.

Don't sugar coat it, sometimes big publishers put our pure garbage and take our money without a second thought...

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 14
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 10:36:03 PM   
Chet Guiles

I have played quite a few games of DW and while there are a few things as of 1.049 that I would like to see improved (and they probably will be with 1.05) I am finding this one of the most interesting "Space Exploration" games I've ever messed with. Hey, I had a lot of dun with Starships Unlimited v.3 -- and this is SU3 on steriods.

I am also a huge fan of War in the Pacific and think Admiral's Edition one of the best I have ever played.

It is worth the money to have a company like Matrix (and subs like Code Force) putting out these games. Updates and patches are a daily or weekly subset of Microsoft Windows (any version) -- if they aren't bug-free with all their megabucks, what are we whinbing about?

Keep up the good work, Matrix et. al. Update and patch whenever you like -- I'll try the betas and enjoy the final touches.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 15
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 10:58:00 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chet Guiles

I have played quite a few games of DW and while there are a few things as of 1.049 that I would like to see improved (and they probably will be with 1.05) I am finding this one of the most interesting "Space Exploration" games I've ever messed with. Hey, I had a lot of dun with Starships Unlimited v.3 -- and this is SU3 on steriods.

I am also a huge fan of War in the Pacific and think Admiral's Edition one of the best I have ever played.

It is worth the money to have a company like Matrix (and subs like Code Force) putting out these games. Updates and patches are a daily or weekly subset of Microsoft Windows (any version) -- if they aren't bug-free with all their megabucks, what are we whinbing about?

Keep up the good work, Matrix et. al. Update and patch whenever you like -- I'll try the betas and enjoy the final touches.

I'm firmly convinced that Microsoft Vista IS a bug. lol

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Chet Guiles)
Post #: 16
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 5/31/2010 11:58:44 PM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chet Guiles

I'm firmly convinced that Microsoft Vista IS a bug. lol

Have to agree with you on Vista being a bug.I have run DW on XP and vista with no problems.I have also been playing/testing DW since before its release and found it quite enjoyable&playable.

I think Elliot has done a fine job in providing a real gem of a game that is only going to improve. Is it worth the money now most certainly it is! I don't like rts games very much,however this game you can pause,give orders and report monger so i play it similar to how I do a WiTp-AE turn.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 17
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 6/1/2010 12:58:51 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Yes, we're converting it to a different format too.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 18
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 6/1/2010 1:02:42 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

Yes, we're converting it to a different format too.

You know I have to ask this Erik...

Will it be moddable?

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 19
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 6/1/2010 2:14:11 AM   
Erik Rutins

It will be a format that you can all open and edit, if that's what you are asking.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 20
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 6/1/2010 3:08:36 AM   
the1sean

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III
As example, I just came accross this, which looks like it should be in a FAQ instead of being lost amid the aimless chatter in the threads :

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2477630

Well, I think that that particular post actually synthesized a lot of info that players can get if they play the tutorial, read the manual, and read the galactopedia. Its nice though because it is all in one spot.

As to your original question, I just recently bought DW and have been very pleased, the few bugs I ran into got fixed with 1.49. I'd say now is a pretty good time to jump in and start playing a great game. It keeps me up at night losing sleep and thats hard to do :)

In response to Erik Rutins, I am very excited about having a moddable galactopedia, that way the community doesnt need a strategy wiki, we can just mod info in the Galactopedia! Very cool. Thanks for producing a great game that has so much potential still to be realized in future expansions and sequels

Post #: 21
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 6/1/2010 5:54:37 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

It will be a format that you can all open and edit, if that's what you are asking.

That is what I was asking.

Hooray!

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 22
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 6/1/2010 3:34:13 PM   
Richard III

Well I broke down and bought/downloaded it last night on the basis of the responses here and especially because of Jim Allen`s out of 8 review. He`s the best objective reviewer around IMO.

So far an hour into it, my first impressions are good, like the interface layout, colors, and especially that it`s 2D plausable.

Are the tutorials programmed learning ? That is they tell you to do X and you see the results ?

Is it worth printing out the manual or has that changed very much ?

Post #: 23
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 6/1/2010 3:43:45 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Well I broke down and bought/downloaded it last night on the basis of the responses here and especially because of Jim Allen`s out of 8 review. He`s the best objective reviewer around IMO.

So far an hour into it, my first impressions are good, like the interface layout, colors, and especially that it`s 2D plausable.

Are the tutorials programmed learning ? That is they tell you to do X and you see the results ?

Is it worth printing out the manual or has that changed very much ?

Been a few changes since release, so if you are playing with the current patch there will be differences. A lot of stuff hasn't changed, but some has. As I understand it, they will be rewriting the Galactopedia, which should also serve as a good manual.

Distant Worlds Fan

Post #: 24
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 6/1/2010 5:07:30 PM   
HsojVvad

I woldn't bother printing out the manual. I was able to read it all in PDF and was good enough.

*edit* forgot to say, glad you got the game and you enjoy it so far. Remember if you have any quesitons or don't understand anything ask us.

I recomend you read the AAR on how to build a ship. Once I read that, it made it so much easier to build your own ships.

< Message edited by Davor -- 6/1/2010 5:11:32 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 25
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 6/1/2010 5:18:20 PM   
Locarnus

I would just open it

if you need something, pause the game, alt+tab, search function, works fine

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 26
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 6/3/2010 1:21:33 AM   
the1sean

yeah, DW alt-tabs quite well; a fact that I love. I play my own music and refer to the forums and pdf manual while i play a lot.

(in reply to Locarnus)
Post #: 27
RE: Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun - 6/3/2010 1:23:47 PM   
Wenla

quote:

Convince me I`m wrong and I`ll buy the Game today....

You are wrong and this game is playable and fun. Believe me...

Before you can define your strategy, you have to have a vision

Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Please Convince Me This Game Is Playable and Fun Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI