Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to conduct advance minesweeping?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> How to conduct advance minesweeping? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to conduct advance minesweeping? - 7/29/2002 3:23:11 PM   
Tuomas Seijavuori

I'm certain this has been discussed before, but the forum search function couldn't find the relevant information:

How can I send minesweepers (MSW and DMS) in to sweep a beach or a port clear of mines prior to bringing in my transports?

I had sent a dozen or so MSW's to loiter around in Japanese-held Shortland for many days. They didn't report finding a single mine. As soon as my invasion fleet arrived, six (!) transports hit a mine immediately. I guess the MSW's had been looking for mines in a wrong place, too far from the beach perhaps. The DMS I had in the same task force with AK/APs cleared 4 mines though.

Is there a way to do it or do I have to start sending an almost empty AK along with the advance MSW task force? I seem to recall mines were always swept well in advance in real life.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this has been asked too many times before.
Post #: 1
Finally found the older thread about this - 7/29/2002 4:57:57 PM   
Tuomas Seijavuori

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22993

However, no clear answer was given. Just that everyone else is having the same problem, apparently. A bug or a feature?

(in reply to Tuomas Seijavuori)
Post #: 2
- 7/29/2002 6:16:12 PM   
Jupo

My problem with minesweepers is that they refused to move enemy port and I have changed their orders "patrol/do not react enemy" but still my TF (3xDMS/5xMSW) has been standing 3 days without moving anywhere (and just got refuel from tankers).

Post #: 3
- 7/29/2002 6:33:25 PM   
thantis

It seems that mines are not cleared unless the minesweepers have something to protect - i.e. always include DMS or MSW in your invasion force.....if you include enough of them, you want have any problems with mines.

Otherwise, they don't seem to won't to get the job done on their own.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon.....

Post #: 4
- 7/29/2002 7:21:27 PM   
Jupo

I have used to clear mines with my AP & AK & DD ships.... Well little bit expensive (lots of sinking ships) but it will reduce amount of enemy mines :D

Post #: 5
- 7/29/2002 10:44:51 PM   
Drongo

[QUOTE]My problem with minesweepers is that they refused to move enemy port and I have changed their orders "patrol/do not react enemy" but still my TF (3xDMS/5xMSW) has been standing 3 days without moving anywhere (and just got refuel from tankers).[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, what happens if you keep the patrol/do not react but change the TF role to "Transport" rather than "Minewarfare" (you shouldn't have to add any real tansports to do this). If their setting is already "Transport", change it to "Minewarefare". Offensive minesweeping has always been tricky.

LOL (hope that doesn't mean Lots Of Love, I'm still getting the hang of abbreviations).

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

Post #: 6
- 7/31/2002 2:28:28 AM   
Tuomas Seijavuori

You cannot give MSW's or DMS's a "Transport" task. "Fast Transport" should be possible for some MSW's, though.

Post #: 7
- 7/31/2002 2:40:38 AM   
Bernd Hesberg

[QUOTE]You cannot give MSW's or DMS's a "Transport" task. "Fast Transport" should be possible for some MSW's, though.[/QUOTE] That seems to be a separate bug. At least, when you create a new transport TF you may select MSWs and/or DMSs, alone or together with e.g. AP/AKs.

Post #: 8
- 7/31/2002 2:45:36 AM   
Tuomas Seijavuori

Sorry, my bad. I meant task forces consisting exclusively of minesweepers cannot be given the "Transport" mission.

Post #: 9
- 7/31/2002 2:51:04 AM   
Bernd Hesberg

Tuomas,

I understand quite well what you mean. Any *existing* TF which consists only of minesweepers can't be set to "transport". But if you disband it and create a new TF from scratch, you'll be able to put only minesweepers into it despite its transport mission.

Post #: 10
- 8/1/2002 7:53:35 PM   
Tuomas Seijavuori

Ah. Thanks. I hadn't tried to do it that way, I only checked an existing TF out at sea. I'll try making a MSW-only TF and give it a Transport-mission. I hope it works, but even so, this would seem to me like an unnecessary hoop for the player to jump through.

If that fails, I'd like to know if there is a way to sweep mines without risking one's transports? If not, is it by design? If so, I'd appreciate if someone more knowledgeable than myself could shed some light to the historical part of minesweeping operations prior to a landing. Thanks!

Post #: 11
- 8/2/2002 7:59:20 AM   
Point Luck

[I]It seems that mines are not cleared unless the minesweepers have something to protect - i.e. always include DMS or MSW in your invasion force.....if you include enough of them, you want have any problems with mines. [/I]

Another option is to form a tf's with one or two MSW's and couple of DD's and send them in. The MSW's will sweep and the DD's like to hunt for subs very effective

Post #: 12
- 8/2/2002 7:01:49 PM   
Tuomas Seijavuori

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Point Luck
Another option is to form a tf's with one or two MSW's and couple of DD's and send them in. The MSW's will sweep ... [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the hint. Which mission should I select for the TF? Transport or Mine Warfare?

Post #: 13
- 8/3/2002 5:15:56 AM   
Point Luck

For Mine Sweeping Op's that is to be included with the DD's can be set up as a surface combat TF. I have had good success with a TF comprised of 1 or 2 MSW's and 3 or 4 DD's

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> How to conduct advance minesweeping? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI