Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/3/2010 9:20:15 PM   
Mysterius

Hello,

I have a problem : the Shandar race is included in my empire and i am able to colonize volcanic worlds by right clicking on them and sending a colony ship.

However, volcanic worlds do not show up on the Colonization Planner. Why?

"Bigamy is when you have two wives, monotony is when you only have one." - Pierre Desproges
Post #: 1
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/4/2010 1:38:55 PM   
JasmoVT

Both ice and volcanic do not seem to show unless you have a colony ship built that can colonize. If you come across one of those you can still give a "build and colonize order. i have a feeling this is a "feature" not a bug but it would be better if they showed.

(in reply to Mysterius)
Post #: 2
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/4/2010 1:50:26 PM   
Wenla

In my previous game volcanic worlds popped up every now and then but so that I could colonized five of those. Strange thing (at least for me) was that volcanic worlds disappeared even when I had col. ship travelling to that world. So you could see the col ship on col ship list as active, but not on exp. list. When colonizated, seen as normal.

Before you can define your strategy, you have to have a vision

(in reply to Mysterius)
Post #: 3
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/4/2010 2:43:18 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: JasmoVT

Both ice and volcanic do not seem to show unless you have a colony ship built that can colonize. If you come across one of those you can still give a "build and colonize order. i have a feeling this is a "feature" not a bug but it would be better if they showed.

Given how big and slow to load the lists can become, probably best to keep it as it is. Pull up your resource build queue after you've played for a couple of hours and you will see what I mean.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to JasmoVT)
Post #: 4
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/4/2010 2:45:06 PM   
Mysterius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
Given how big and slow to load the lists can become, probably best to keep it as it is. Pull up your resource build queue after you've played for a couple of hours and you will see what I mean.

The potential colonies list is much lighter than the resources lists. And i don't see the interest of a "potential colonies" list which does not list all the potential colonies...

"Bigamy is when you have two wives, monotony is when you only have one." - Pierre Desproges

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 5
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/4/2010 3:34:33 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mysterius

quote:

The potential colonies list is much lighter than the resources lists. And i don't see the interest of a "potential colonies" list which does not list all the potential colonies...

1. It might be lighter, but on a big map its still huge.

2. What's the point of having planets listed as 'Potential Colonies' when you can't colonize them? Seems to me that those planets are not 'Potential Colonies' at all then.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Mysterius)
Post #: 6
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/4/2010 4:34:56 PM   
Mysterius

You don't understand : i can colonize them, but they don't appear on the potential colonies list.
That is the problem ^^.

< Message edited by Mysterius -- 6/4/2010 4:37:08 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 7
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/4/2010 11:02:35 PM   
taltamir

It is an issue I have raised before. A planet builds a colony ship of the dominant race on the planet... so you can have billions of them, but as long as they are not a majority on any planet you own then you can't build a colony ship of them to colonize. Hopefully this will be fixed.
At the moment what you can do is use the editor to "get" them.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 6/4/2010 11:03:21 PM >

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to Mysterius)
Post #: 8
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/4/2010 11:07:04 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

It is an issue I have raised before. A planet builds a colony ship of the dominant race on the planet... so you can have billions of them, but as long as they are not a majority on any planet you own then you can't build a colony ship of them to colonize. Hopefully this will be fixed.

This is another thing that could be fixed by the changes we've requested to colony ships. If you loaded your own population, you could choose which ones to load (and maybe get them all off your dominant race planets).

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 9
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/4/2010 11:38:28 PM   
JasmoVT

Yes but this unbalances the game. The AI specifically targets player worlds with high value resources, but there is no way for the player to do the same against the ai. There needs to be some way to identify all planets with a given resource as long as the player have seen them once.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 10
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/4/2010 11:42:59 PM   
taltamir

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

This is another thing that could be fixed by the changes we've requested to colony ships. If you loaded your own population, you could choose which ones to load (and maybe get them all off your dominant race planets).

agreed... we need:
1. manual moving of population
2. migration policy
3. the ability to build a ship of any race on a planet, not just dominant race (actually, the ship should just build empty and then collect the "right" race before going to colonize a planet)

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 11
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/5/2010 9:19:18 PM   
Mysterius

And now that's desert planets! They don't show up on the expansion planner (i'm Human and i have the colonization technology maxed out : continental, marshy swamps, desert). Only continental and MS show on the expansion planner.

That's great ! How am i supposed to compete with the AI if i don't even know what i can colonize and where?

This is by far the most game breaking "bug" i have had since i started playing distant worlds.

< Message edited by Mysterius -- 6/5/2010 9:20:09 PM >

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 12
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/5/2010 10:00:32 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hm, I thought we had fixed this a few versions back. This is with 1.0.4.9?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Mysterius)
Post #: 13
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/5/2010 10:22:16 PM   
Mysterius

Yep, 1.0.4.9. I thought it could be because of all the betas installed over and over, so i made a fresh install yesterday and started a new game. But the problem is still present.

In all my games, i use the editor to change the name of my starting system and modify my reputation (because i don't like the huge reputation hit when destroying a planet with the "death star"). Could the use of the editor cause this bug?
I will try a new game without touching the editor and i'll see. I'll send the save to you if needed.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 14
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/6/2010 12:04:49 AM   
taltamir

are they in an enemy territory? if a planet is in an enemy territory and you checked the "disallow colonization in enemy systems" then you will not see them in the expansion planner.

Also, have your scouts explored the planet?

(in reply to Mysterius)
Post #: 15
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/6/2010 10:16:06 AM   
Mysterius

Nope, they are in neutral territory : no colonies, no bases in the system.

As for the scouts, well... i can see all the planets in the system with their associated resources. So yes, it's scouted ^^.

There seems to be two different problems :

- the one you pointed out, when a colony ship only embark your main race or the race with the most people on a planet (i don't remember) which makes exotic planet types disappear from the colonization planner

- and the one where some planet types does not appear on the colonization planner for some unkown reason. Most of my planets were populated of humans only, and as a human empire i had the technology to colonize desert planets. So I don't see any reason why they shouldn't appear on the planner.

< Message edited by Mysterius -- 6/6/2010 10:17:12 AM >

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 16
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/6/2010 12:09:55 PM   
WoodMan

Strange bug, I can confirm that the same thing does NOT happen with Ocean planets.  Playing as Human with Ackdarian in my Empire.  Ocean planets show in the colony planner and when I click build and send Colony it builds one at an Ackdarian colony in my Empire and sends it on its way.  It's strange if you can't do the same for Volcanic, though I'm new and haven't had Shandar in my Empire yet so I can't try it.

Edit: oops, I misunderstood your problem. You have Shander in your Empire through migration? I thought this was a game feature, I can colonize Ocean worlds because I have an Ackdarian Ocean world in my Empire, do you have a Shandar Volcanic world in your Empire? If not, doesn't that make being able to colonize the exotic worlds a bit too cheap and easy?

< Message edited by WoodMan -- 6/6/2010 12:13:19 PM >

(in reply to Mysterius)
Post #: 17
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/6/2010 1:56:11 PM   
taltamir

quote:

As for the scouts, well... i can see all the planets in the system with their associated resources. So yes, it's scouted ^^.

That just means you visited the system before... a scout ship needs to actually "explore" it (by getting really close to it and scanning it) AFAIK

Also, maybe an AI colonized it and you don't know yet. that is, it shows all planets uncolonized and explored, but in fact one of the planets has been colonized and you just haven't seen it happen.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 6/6/2010 1:57:05 PM >

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 18
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/6/2010 2:08:07 PM   
Mysterius

@WoodMan : the ability to colonize an exotic planet does not come from the fact that you already have a planet of this kind (by assimilating an independant colony, for example). It comes from the race you have in your empire. If you have Ackdarians, you can colonize ocean worlds. If you have Shandars, you can colonize volcanic worlds.
But well, my problem is that i *can* colonize desert planets by normal technology and ice/volcanic by assimilating other races, but those planets are not present on the colonization planner. They are at the beginning, but after a time they disappear for some reason.

@taltamir : i don't get it. I thought that since i know what resources are on a planet, it means that i have explored it. If not, it's overly stupid. How am i supposed to know if it's explored or not then?

But whatever, that's not the problem. First, all the other planets of the system appear on the CP. For desert planets, I see them at the beginning and suddenly i don't see them anymore. Newly discovered desert planets don't appear either. They are not colonized, nothing : the systems are empty. If you want an obvious example : if I have a desert planet in my starting system, it wouldn't even appear on the colonization planner...

< Message edited by Mysterius -- 6/6/2010 2:10:52 PM >

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 19
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/6/2010 2:10:08 PM   
taltamir

quote:

@taltamir : i don't get it. I thought that since i know what resources are on a planet, it means that i have explored it. If not, it's overly stupid. How am i supposed to know if it's explored or not then?

maybe, I am really not too sure how that part works.

(in reply to Mysterius)
Post #: 20
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/6/2010 6:01:32 PM   
WoodMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mysterius

If you can see the resources of a planet it has been scouted. If you send an Exploration Ship to a system and interrupt its mission and send it somewhere else, the planets it didn't visit will say Resources: (Unknown).

It sounds like you have found a bug, especially with the Desert Planets. With Volcanic, go through your Colony screen and check for a planet with majority Shandar, if you don't have a planet with Shandar as the highest population then you can't build a Shandar colony ship to colonize. I guess thats not a bug, but perhaps something that should be fixed as mentioned before.

I think it's too easy to get the race bonuses from other races especially if they change it so you can use a non-majority race to build a colony ship from one of your planets. It would be nice if you had to have a certain number of that race in your Empire (say 500M) to get their bonus and planet types. So for example you can't use your population of 10m Ackdarians on one planet to colonise all the Ocean planets across your territory.

(in reply to Mysterius)
Post #: 21
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/7/2010 5:23:16 PM   
Rugby9

I have noticed this bug as well. I build colony ships that have the volcanic or ice ability and find planets to colonize with them by using the galaxy map and checking known resources. Items like Dantha fur and incense are specific to Desert worlds, aculon to Volcanic, ivory to Ice, etc. Since the AI will not colonize in a system owned by someone else I try to get colonies in uninhabited systems. The expansion planner does not show any of these planets as colonizeable and neither does the potential colony list in the galaxy map filter screen, however you can colonize them. As a kind of bonus you become very familiar with all the resources... Thanks -J

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 22
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/8/2010 12:33:18 PM   
Deldk

I also have this problem, I usually play securan, on a 1000 or 1400 galaxy. and after I have explored a x% amount of the galaxy, (never noticed how much before the problem occurs), all I can colonise are continental, desert and marshy. and I do have races that are able to colonise ice, volcanic and ocean. If I get a race that can colonise ice, volcanic or ocean early in the game, I do have the ability to colonise via the planner, but after a while of either exploring or colonising. I am only able to find the planets by looking through resources and instead of sending a constructor, manually sending a colony ship.

(in reply to Rugby9)
Post #: 23
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/8/2010 2:19:30 PM   
Mysterius

Deldk : i couldn't have explained better. That's the exact problem i have.

(in reply to Deldk)
Post #: 24
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/8/2010 2:27:09 PM   
WoodMan

When you zoom out to galaxy view do the systems with colonizable planets that aren't viewable in the expansion planner have that dotted ring around them?  That might be an easier way to find them than searching the resources in the galaxy map window.

(in reply to Mysterius)
Post #: 25
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/8/2010 2:30:13 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deldk

I also have this problem, I usually play securan, on a 1000 or 1400 galaxy. and after I have explored a x% amount of the galaxy, (never noticed how much before the problem occurs), all I can colonise are continental, desert and marshy. and I do have races that are able to colonise ice, volcanic and ocean. If I get a race that can colonise ice, volcanic or ocean early in the game, I do have the ability to colonise via the planner, but after a while of either exploring or colonising. I am only able to find the planets by looking through resources and instead of sending a constructor, manually sending a colony ship.

interesting, I don't play with such large galaxies due to load/save times. Maybe it is a problem limited to larger galaxies.

If you have a save game where such an issue is occuring (and you can quit and load such save and the issue remains) then you should submit the save game (along with the name of the specific planet for which it happens)...
Codeforce is very quick to fix those, especially since they began issuing hotfixes... I would often see a hotfix within 24 hours of submitting a save game with a reproduce-able problem which solved said problem.

(in reply to Deldk)
Post #: 26
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/9/2010 10:09:37 AM   
sograth

simple soloution would be to make more filters for the colonization screen (like type of planet or distance or alien civ, etc.)

I do not think it wise to show all planets in that screen, less you want a cofee break every time you open the screen.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 27
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/9/2010 10:22:05 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: sograth

simple soloution would be to make more filters for the colonization screen (like type of planet or distance or alien civ, etc.)

I do not think it wise to show all planets in that screen, less you want a cofee break every time you open the screen.

it does take quite a while to open... and to refresh after each change.

I would like to see the following filters added:
1. Special (only good specials though) (contains either native pop, korbebian spice, loros fruit, zentebia fluid, or ruins). This should be the default filter.
2. Planet types, one filter per type (eg: continental, ice, volcanic, etc)
3. An option to "hide" planets for which you have already queued a colony ship.
4. A checkbox to hide/view planets in systems belonging to other empires from within the expansion planner itself (it automatically hides them if you forbade the AI from colonizing/building bases in AI controlled systems, and automatically shows it if you did not. This is a nice default, but should be possible to chance... I should be able to show planets in systems controlled by the AI from within the expansion planner without disabling the AI block)

(in reply to sograth)
Post #: 28
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/13/2010 9:16:27 PM   
smokytoks

I noticed something on my last game :

While, at the beginning, volcanic, desert or oceanic worlds were displayed on the planner, some of them (volcanic ones first, then desert and even some oceanic too) began to disappear when I came to explore larger part of the galaxy. I decided to try colonizing as much world as I could. Right now, I explored the whole galaxy and founded nearly 400 colonies. And volcanic/desert/ocean worlds made their come-back on the planner as I colonized all continental/swamp available...

So I guess the problem is that the number of worlds displayed on the planner seems to be limited : once you reached the maximum number, the game seems to filter worlds displayed in the planner : Continental > Swamp > Ocean > Desert > Volcanic

< Message edited by smokytoks -- 6/13/2010 9:17:58 PM >

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 29
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/14/2010 8:40:09 AM   
sograth

5. An option to hide planets that already have a Spaceport (or one in queue)

Further thinking: Hide/Show Planets should not be a dropdown menue but a Checkbox (since some Planets are equally "good" for some races we should be able to see more than one type of planet).

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI