Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pegasus Bridge Unwinable

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Pegasus Bridge Unwinable Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pegasus Bridge Unwinable - 5/31/2010 10:26:25 PM   
Richard III

Why is this scenario designed so very tough for the Allies ?

The Paras are jammed up in the lower left map corner.

The AI puts big stacks near the Bridge and House and you draw crossfire from right across the Map edge and through what should be LOS blocks ( how is that possible at night BTW ) Because of the locked morale in the GC ( bad decision that IMO ) the Paras get suppressed and lose morale fast and won`t advance, so you can`t rush and you can`t sneak to the VP`s.

Because of the absurd low mortar ammo count ( something else that should have been fixed in this version ) the Germans can`t be suppressed.

It seems like both the LOS and visibility AI routines are screwed up here.

I`ve been playing CC since Atomic Game was born and I can`t win this scenario in one turn in 5 trys.

Post #: 1
RE: Pegasus Bridge Unwinable - 5/31/2010 11:25:18 PM   
Andrew Williams

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2101214

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 2
RE: Pegasus Bridge Unwinable - 6/1/2010 1:09:57 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III

The AI puts big stacks near the Bridge and House and you draw crossfire from right across the Map edge and through what should be LOS blocks ( how is that possible at night BTW ) Because of the locked morale in the GC ( bad decision that IMO ) the Paras get suppressed and lose morale fast and won`t advance, so you can`t rush and you can`t sneak to the VP`s.

Because of the absurd low mortar ammo count ( something else that should have been fixed in this version ) the Germans can`t be suppressed.

I`ve been playing CC since Atomic Game was born and I can`t win this scenario in one turn in 5 trys.

Strange. Pzlehr62 cleaned my clock on this one in head to head as Allies in one turn. When I first played this game I was a little put off that the Germans seem to be easy knock overs. I'm actually glad to hear that there is some challenge to it.

Post #: 3
RE: Pegasus Bridge Unwinable - 6/1/2010 2:43:01 PM   
Richard III

The H to H Games AI results ( targeting accuracy, morale, threat response, and I suspect LOS ) is completely different then in the Human VS AI Games.

Try playing a few of your H TO H Game scenarios VS the AI and see what I mean. Having said that, if they are going to unbalance some of the scenarios for AI only play, they should have tried to mod the ammo loadouts, especially mortars.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Strange. Pzlehr62 cleaned my clock on this one in head to head as Allies in one turn. When I first played this game I was a little put off that the Germans seem to be easy knock overs. I'm actually glad to hear that there is some challenge to it.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 4
RE: Pegasus Bridge Unwinable - 6/2/2010 1:09:07 AM   
Richard III

Gary, on re-reading my response to you sounds pretty snotty. Didn`t mean it that way at all, just frustrated with this scenario....

Post #: 5
RE: Pegasus Bridge Unwinable - 6/10/2010 2:35:42 AM   
Concord

I've never seen this battle (hardly any of the battles actually) won in one try...especially against a human opponent, but even against the AI. It is only a simulation after all, with only a teeny-tiny fraction of the troops that actually took part historically. Because you only have a limited number of troops to use each battle, and the ease of having your little guys gunned down, I find most of the action in these hard battles consists of slow infiltrations, allowing you to have a better setup position next time around.

Each time I start a new round of fighting on the same map, I have a better position to fight from, and usually concentrate on scouting a particular area to find the enemy, and then possibly assault it somehow - taking the battlefield in small chunks each time. While playing a human opponent, the really hard maps like Pegasus, Pont Du Hoc, and the battery one (can't recall the name at the moment), I've found they often grind to a stalemate eventually, with neither player able to conclusively best the other.

< Message edited by Concord -- 6/10/2010 2:36:26 AM >

Game on!

Post #: 6
RE: Pegasus Bridge Unwinable - 8/5/2010 10:03:46 AM   
UltraGott

sorry, but what i hate about Pegasus is the complete lack of surprise.
German troops are already in good defence postion when you play h2h. this really sucks!
i just don´t have enough time to infiltrate enemy lines turn by turn in order to gain better postions the next battle. but actually theres no other way right now.

(in reply to Concord)
Post #: 7
RE: Pegasus Bridge Unwinable - 8/6/2010 5:02:44 PM   
Peterk1

A lot of/most of the battles are not terribly realistic. I think the best thing to do is just forget that the sector is called Pegasus Bridge, forget about what happened at the real Pegasus Bridge and just treat it as a normal battle. You won't be repeating history here.

(in reply to UltraGott)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Pegasus Bridge Unwinable Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI