Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How many source for a resource do you need?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> How many source for a resource do you need? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/11/2010 9:45:33 PM   
Goddsch

Hey,

is it enough if i have 1 base "farming" a resource? or should i get multiple? how do i know how many i need then?
Post #: 1
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/11/2010 10:11:02 PM   
WoodMan

If you open up your expansion planner at the top it shows all the resources and how much stock your Empire has of them, aswell as demand etc... I don't know for sure, but I guess if you have tons of stock and the resource has low Galaxy demand then maybe you should skip building another mining base for it.

(in reply to Goddsch)
Post #: 2
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/11/2010 10:35:31 PM   
Goddsch

do i need to have more stock then demand? or is there only demand if i dont ahve enough?

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 3
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/11/2010 10:46:32 PM   
WoodMan

I'm not sure exactly how demand is determined.  When you build anything, ships or bases, components are made out of the resources and then put into objects your building, so I guess demand depends on how many components are being built, gas is used for fuel so you need that constantly, I guess the more ships you have the more fuel you use and more gas you need.

To he honest I've never had any problems with running out of resources and I have two Contructors constantly building when Empire is small, then when I have a bit more cash get a few more.  But to answer your original question you need more than 1 base mining a resource yes.  Resources are traded by your private sector with other Empires so having more than your Empire requires is not neccessarily waste.

You do know that in the Expansion planner you can change the drop down box from Potential Colonies into Resources by your Empire priority or resources by galaxy priority? If something pops up in your Empire priority you are running short on it, but usually that box is empty, so in that case take a look by galaxy priority instead, thats stuff that your private sector can trade.

< Message edited by WoodMan -- 6/11/2010 10:49:50 PM >

(in reply to Goddsch)
Post #: 4
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/12/2010 9:29:19 AM   
taltamir

building a ship costs 8x the cost of each resource it requires to build it. Ship maintenance is a percentage of this modified by your bridge level tech and the individual components (some components don't require much maintenance).

Luxury resources are consumed by planets to increase their culture, which increases their income.
Hydrogen and Calson are consumed as fuel.
The rest are consumed to build ships, both private and state owned.

Shortages of a resource send its price sky high... while excess will drop it all the way down to 1 credit per unit. A severe enough shortage can make your 8000 credit colony ship cost 200,000 instead (I have seen that happen).

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 5
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/14/2010 6:41:05 PM   
Vanguard_DW

So you want strategic resources as cheap as possible, what about luxury resources? Are they supposed to be cheap as pos so that your people will buy more and increase culture, or do you make more spaceport profit if they are more expensive to purchase?

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 6
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/14/2010 6:46:18 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vanguard_DW

So you want strategic resources as cheap as possible, what about luxury resources? Are they supposed to be cheap as pos so that your people will buy more and increase culture, or do you make more spaceport profit if they are more expensive to purchase?

I have no idea about such details. I just know that the key to a solid economy is lots and lots of luxury resources... ideally of as many different kinds as possible.

(in reply to Vanguard_DW)
Post #: 7
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/14/2010 9:10:27 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

quote:

I have no idea about such details. I just know that the key to a solid economy is lots and lots of luxury resources... ideally of as many different kinds as possible.

Best I can tell, you want the luxury resources to become more plentiful, since that increases culture + happiness which increases your tax revenue.

Rare resourses (Loros fruit for example) you want to stockpile into your own empire for a while, then start selling it to your allies for the profit. Make sure you have your own demand squared away first...at least from my point of view.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 8
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/15/2010 12:48:37 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

quote:

Best I can tell, you want the luxury resources to become more plentiful, since that increases culture + happiness which increases your tax revenue.

Rare resourses (Loros fruit for example) you want to stockpile into your own empire for a while, then start selling it to your allies for the profit. Make sure you have your own demand squared away first...at least from my point of view.

I prefer to stockpile for a little while to get rich (it makes a HUGE difference to your income!) then conquer your "allies". :P

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 9
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/15/2010 5:14:33 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

quote:

I prefer to stockpile for a little while to get rich (it makes a HUGE difference to your income!) then conquer your "allies". :P

No different here, I just like to use their own money to conquer them.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 10
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/16/2010 12:46:30 AM   
Erik Rutins

Regarding the original question, you always need a few extra sources if you plan to go to war.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 11
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/16/2010 4:06:08 AM   
lancer

Goodaye Eric,

Is any consideration being given to negating a players ability to effectively bypass the whole resource system by using miners with multiple extraction components?

Eg. You can have four different sources of steel within your empire or you can have only one and instead park a miner on top of it with four mineral extraction facilities that pull in an identical amount of steel.

Doing this with luxury resources means that you can satisfy your own needs and simultaneously flood the market with access to a single source.

The end result being that you only need access to a single resource of any type (admittedly with a decent extraction %), you need to build and maintain a fraction of the normal miners and the greatly reduced number of resource locations are easily defended. Kind of knobbles the game.

I'd suggest either hardcoding a limit of one extraction facility per miner or by implementing finite resource deposits (player only, not the AI) as possible solutions, assuming a fix is considered necessary.

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 12
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/16/2010 4:15:53 AM   
Erik Rutins

It's on our list to look at, but we haven't gotten to it yet, sorry. We agree in principle that it could use a tweak.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 13
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/16/2010 9:41:38 AM   
feygan

Is there anyway of manipulating the galaxy market through trade restrictions? Such as preventing the private sector from trading away a resource to other empires while still keeping it in use within your own so as to force a galaxy wide demand? "We are very sorry but expensive safety procedures force us to rise the price of steel dramatically" sort of thing?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 14
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/16/2010 12:25:55 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: feygan

Is there anyway of manipulating the galaxy market through trade restrictions? Such as preventing the private sector from trading away a resource to other empires while still keeping it in use within your own so as to force a galaxy wide demand? "We are very sorry but expensive safety procedures force us to rise the price of steel dramatically" sort of thing?

oooh... tariffs :)

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 15
RE: How many source for a resource do you need? - 6/19/2010 10:46:46 AM   
Fishman

Given that all prices are determined galactically, and there are no "empire specific" prices, it is unclear what the benefits of trading are, or how profits are actually made under a system where everyone pays the same: Even if you have a massive oversupply of something, if everyone else is short on it, the price is very high and everything you make using that costs a ton even if you are swimming in the stuff.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> How many source for a resource do you need? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI