Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Text descriptions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Text descriptions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Text descriptions - 11/29/2000 6:04:00 AM   
Slayer

I don't know if everyone already knows this or not, but I just figured out that you can enter the text field in SPWAWeditor with a number corresponding to a text file in the enc directory. The text will then show up in the encyclopedia. I think I'll have fun matching up the text files with the units! [This message has been edited by Slayer (edited November 28, 2000).]

Post #: 1
- 11/29/2000 7:22:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I didn't. Thanks, Slayer!...WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 2
- 11/29/2000 7:29:00 AM   
Warhorse

Ya, you can figure by the letter after En, started doing this in my personal build. ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 3
- 11/30/2000 6:52:00 AM   
Don

How exactly do you do this? I tried entering the number of the text file (like 007), but nothing appears in the encyclopedia. Do you have to enter a letter also? Thanks Don

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 4
- 11/30/2000 7:18:00 AM   
Rickenbacker

I found those text files long ago, but was annoyed that they weren't in the encylopedia in the actual game. You mean you can get them in there somehow? I'd appreciate a little mini-tutorial .

Mats 'Rickenbacker' Nylund -------------------------- rickenbacker@innocent.com

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 5
- 12/2/2000 5:02:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Rickenbacker: I found those text files long ago, but was annoyed that they weren't in the encylopedia in the actual game. You mean you can get them in there somehow? I'd appreciate a little mini-tutorial . ... How exactly do you do this? I tried entering the number of the text file (like 007), but nothing appears in the encyclopedia.Do you have to enter a letter also?
Ok - here it is (tried this some time before, so everything is IIRC): Start Explorer, go to the SPWAW-folder. Open the "Enc" folder ... voilà, there they are .. "Enb007.txt" to "Enus193.txt". Use a "real editor" (one of those they use to do programming with) which can search trough multiple files for the unit name to find the desired file ... enter the filename without ".txt"-extension, and it should work. I don't know why these entries weren't included with the original OOBs, but I'll ask Paul if there's any bug ahead. If not, I'll try to do them with the next version of the German OOB .. Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 6
- 12/2/2000 5:38:00 PM   
Reg

quote:

Originally posted by Arralen: I don't know why these entries weren't included with the original OOBs, but I'll ask Paul if there's any bug ahead. If not, I'll try to do them with the next version of the German OOB ..
I would hazard a two word explanation:- Effort required!! There are an awful lot of files and time was short. Personally, I would love to see them back in again so if you need a hand..... Reg.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 7
- 12/2/2000 9:34:00 PM   
Warhorse

Yes the problem was the time involved. I have done some on my personal, made a few new entries for the Panther Uhu, and few others, but with time constraints, I just can't do it, unfortunately. ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 8
- 12/3/2000 12:01:00 AM   
Arralen

Little correction: Start Explorer, go to the SPWAW-folder. Open the "Enc" folder ... voilà, there they are .. "Enb007.txt" to "Enus193.txt"... enter the filename without "Exxx .txt"-extension, and it should work.(e.g. "Enb007.txt" => "7") All the files that are already there with the regular install are now included with the OOB ! You can view the text at the bottom of the encycl--screen. But don't expect too much, that were 16 files for the main tanks, nothing else is covered as far as I know ! Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 9
- 12/3/2000 4:08:00 AM   
Don

Here's what I don't get: There are 2 "#10" files - Enc0010 for the Pz-IVe, and Enu010 for the P-40 Warhawk. When I try to put in "10" for the P-40, I of course get the description for the tank. How do you tell it which file to use? Thanks, Don

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 10
- 12/3/2000 8:09:00 AM   
Captn_Jack

Ok...now I need to add this to Stupid Human Mistakes thread by Pack Rat....Seems I've managed to corrupt my OOb files, now the PBEM games won't load....anybody know where I can get the origional v4.4 OOBs? CJ

M(1)&M(9)'s...they melt in your tank...not in your hand!

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 11
- 12/3/2000 9:43:00 AM   
Major Destruction

For those about to edit their OOB's using the editor. If you are playing pbem and you change even one item on your OOB's you will corrupt your game. First make two subdirectories to the SPWAW main folder. Name them something like "OOB's original" "OOB's for editing" When you want to play with your own set of OOB's *copy* the OOB's for editing to your main directory. This will overwrite your game OOB's When you want to play a pbem turn, *copy* the OOB's original to your main game directory before starting your turn. This way you can use your edited oob's for your own use against the AI and the 'official' OOB's against your opponents. For the official OOB's, go to Tankhead's webpage or ask your opponent to send you the set that he is using (or she- sorry badgirl!) You first might want to try only subbing in the OOB nation that you altered. Be aware that messing with your OOB's can spoil your games.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Slayer)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Text descriptions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI