Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.0.4.9. Automated exploration ships are utterly unefficient

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> 1.0.4.9. Automated exploration ships are utterly unefficient Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.0.4.9. Automated exploration ships are utterly uneffi... - 6/10/2010 6:11:49 PM   
Florestan

They go to each and every planet, until they can land on it before they go to the next, even if the next planet is already explored because it is near. They even sometime return to already visited places. For example, in my game, they love to visit that nasty gas cloud in that nice galactic storm (or whatever it is called) where they get damaged, go back to repair, and then come back to the gaz cloud until I send them in another sector. Sometime, they even team up to explore the very same planet, just in case the other one would have missed something. Do they suffer OCD ?..
Post #: 1
RE: 1.0.4.9. Automated exploration ships are utterly un... - 6/10/2010 6:53:03 PM   
deanco2

I just tell them to explore sector at the start, working outward.  After they're out 2 or 3 sectors I automate them.

(in reply to Florestan)
Post #: 2
RE: 1.0.4.9. Automated exploration ships are utterly un... - 6/10/2010 10:46:46 PM   
Deldk

That is why I add a couple of ships to my exploration ships, with about 300 in strength they should then be able to survive exploring the clouds in the storm.

(in reply to deanco2)
Post #: 3
RE: 1.0.4.9. Automated exploration ships are utterly un... - 6/11/2010 2:13:02 PM   
randal7

I've noticed a problem in the opposite direction. I sometimes have to send a ship to check ruins because the explorers did not get close enough when they explored the system.

(in reply to Deldk)
Post #: 4
RE: 1.0.4.9. Automated exploration ships are utterly un... - 6/11/2010 3:03:29 PM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: randal7

I've noticed a problem in the opposite direction. I sometimes have to send a ship to check ruins because the explorers did not get close enough when they explored the system.

It seems to me that Explorers never bother again with any system once it is covered. What I'd really like would be a patrol command (maybe per sector) that causes them to check through systems in an area again and again (those systems that I have no current information on, anyway) to look for space monsters that I've missed or newly constructed pirate bases.

Also, there are events that explore systems for you but not ruins. Most common is the one with system maps acquired from ruins. Explorers not dealing with unidentified ruins is a major pita, as the state of a ruins site as explored/unexplored isn't easily accessible from any overview screen like Expansion Planner or the Galaxy Map dialog to my knowledge.

Most of this is my experience from 1.0.3, I have currently a 1.0.4.9 game running but not much experience with explorers running on full auto here. Also there may be things I've missed.

< Message edited by sbach2o -- 6/11/2010 3:05:58 PM >

(in reply to randal7)
Post #: 5
RE: 1.0.4.9. Automated exploration ships are utterly un... - 6/11/2010 7:33:20 PM   
Chet Guiles

I don't automate my exploration ships until they are out at the very fringes and just trying to fill in. I assign sectors, and if something like combat disturbs them (and yes I arm and armor my exploration ships and suck up the extra cost because otherwise they are constantly being eaten by the #@%^& Kaltors) I reassign them to the same sector until it is finished. Then assign them to a new sector, etc. I know it takes time and effort to keep track of them and what sectors they are working, but I can concentrate them on places with the highest cioncentrations of star systems, black holes, etc. I think this optimizes their effectiveness.

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 6
RE: 1.0.4.9. Automated exploration ships are utterly un... - 6/15/2010 8:15:38 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: sbach2o

Most of this is my experience from 1.0.3, I have currently a 1.0.4.9 game running but not much experience with explorers running on full auto here. Also there may be things I've missed.

My 1.0.4.9 game has now progressed far enough to see what explorers are doing when the whole galaxy is explored. Nothing has improved over previous versions.

My automated explorers all gather at one gas cloud in the lower left corner of the map where they then sit with 'no mission'. When I give to a none-automated explorer the command 'explore -> nearest unexplored system', it proceeds to explore that same gas cloud.

The only way to get some use out of my explorer fleet is to control them completely manually. Or better scrap them all. Warships are better suited to the tasks that remain, like rooting out pirates, hunting Kaltors and such.

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 7
RE: 1.0.4.9. Automated exploration ships are utterly un... - 6/15/2010 7:08:30 PM   
shibdib

quote:

quote:

My 1.0.4.9 game has now progressed far enough to see what explorers are doing when the whole galaxy is explored. Nothing has improved over previous versions.

My automated explorers all gather at one gas cloud in the lower left corner of the map where they then sit with 'no mission'. When I give to a none-automated explorer the command 'explore -> nearest unexplored system', it proceeds to explore that same gas cloud.

The only way to get some use out of my explorer fleet is to control them completely manually. Or better scrap them all. Warships are better suited to the tasks that remain, like rooting out pirates, hunting Kaltors and such.

?? what do u want them to do.. theirs nothing left to explore so why would they continue.. exploring?

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 8
RE: 1.0.4.9. Automated exploration ships are utterly un... - 6/16/2010 7:34:37 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: shibdib

?? what do u want them to do.. theirs nothing left to explore so why would they continue.. exploring?

1. Look for pirate bases 2. Look for space monsters 3. Explore ancient ruins (those typically aren't all explored, even when all resources are known)

Especially point (1) requires a repeated scanning of gas clouds and systems on which no current information is available, i.e. regions outside of long range scanner ranger (disregarding potentially cloaked bases). There is nothing in the game doing this sort of patrolling automatically and ordering it manually is very painful.

Of course, neither of the the above tasks, even exploration of ruins, is something that only explorers can do. Any military ship is suited as well or better.

(in reply to shibdib)
Post #: 9
RE: 1.0.4.9. Automated exploration ships are utterly un... - 6/16/2010 5:44:47 PM   
Chet Guiles

I generally arm my exploration ships to at least the level of a frigate (with some armor) so that they have a chance to survive the Kaltors and Pirates. Makes them expensive, but I see them as the key to rapid expansion. If I am constantly having to replace them it's more inefficient and expensive than just arming them to the teeth and giving them extra fuel and range to start with.

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 10
RE: 1.0.4.9. Automated exploration ships are utterly un... - 6/17/2010 8:10:03 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chet Guiles

I generally arm my exploration ships to at least the level of a frigate (with some armor) so that they have a chance to survive the Kaltors and Pirates. Makes them expensive, but I see them as the key to rapid expansion. If I am constantly having to replace them it's more inefficient and expensive than just arming them to the teeth and giving them extra fuel and range to start with.

I think it is a matter of taste to a degree. I keep my explorers unarmed and make them fast. This way they survive Kaltors well enough, except in rare cases. This means that they aren't very fit for the pirate/monster hunting tasks I mentioned above but only for finding these threats.

My models are built to have good range instead. But you cannot have all.

Actually, finding space monsters is a whole different can of worms. Most of the time you only see them when they attack one of your ships. Missing are representations on the map or zoomed out view of the screen. I'd also like lists of all known monsters or abandoned ships somewhere. Often finding one I happened to see sometime but couldn't handle right away is like looking for a needle in a haystack, even if they reside in one of my systems.

< Message edited by sbach2o -- 6/17/2010 8:15:21 AM >

(in reply to Chet Guiles)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> 1.0.4.9. Automated exploration ships are utterly unefficient Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI