Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Alien AI constructor ships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Alien AI constructor ships Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alien AI constructor ships - 6/16/2010 8:02:17 PM   
UnderLord

Hi i have notice that the AI of other races construction ships can construct at a vastly superior speed then mine i was working on a grave yard of abandoned ships and the AI just pops in repairs a ship in less then 1 day and then jumps out and they continue to do this every time its insane when it takes me 3 months to do it =(

Plus it seems the AI can research faster then the player as well i looked at how many research stations the AI has and they have the same amount as me but there tech is light years ahead. This might be some kind of bug? Construction speed might be a bug too?
Post #: 1
RE: Alien AI constructor ships - 6/17/2010 8:28:14 AM   
sbach2o

There are some options in game setup that let the AI empires start out more advanced in tech than you.

Maybe this is the case here and it could explain the repair speed of their constructors, if those have an advanced ship yard component installed. An advanced ship yard is also a starting tech advantage of one of the races in the game, I think. Finally there is a short cut to a pretty advanced ship yard component simply through exploration, maybe one of your AI empires got lucky in this way.

(in reply to UnderLord)
Post #: 2
RE: Alien AI constructor ships - 6/17/2010 6:49:11 PM   
UnderLord

Ahh okay i did not know that just thought the game might have had a contstruction bug in it =\

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 3
RE: Alien AI constructor ships - 6/18/2010 8:46:20 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: UnderLord

Ahh okay i did not know that just thought the game might have had a contstruction bug in it =\

I am not ruling this out. But let us not jump to conclusions either way.

The advanced ships yards with higher construction speed are about three times as fast as the basic model, if I remember correctly. That isn't insignificant but neither is it an entirely different league. Rapairing something in under a game day looks strange to me, too.

Regarding how fast a ship is repaired there is also to consider how damaged that ship was to begin with. Usually the AI constructors go at the biggest ships first, but even there you can get lucky having to repair only a few components.

Finally, I do not know for sure what really determines the speed with which a constructor repairs. That the ship yard capacity plays a role ist just an educated guess. Repairing might be different from building new installations. The deciding factors could be rather the factory components installed on the constructor ship rather than the ship yard, although I think it unlikely: In normal operation the factories build new components which are then assembled by the ship yard, and nothing new is really built during repairs.

I always wondered why the default constructor design employs one of each kind of factory component except for industrial of which there are three. But this could be due to the consideration that constructors would build more mining stations than anything else and maybe an industrial component is crucial in building some components specific for those (mining equipment and cargo bays).

< Message edited by sbach2o -- 6/18/2010 9:11:24 AM >

(in reply to UnderLord)
Post #: 4
RE: Alien AI constructor ships - 6/21/2010 9:03:08 PM   
BoogieMan

I've seen AI empires with 53 colonized worlds in less than 40 minutes, covering half the way across a 1000 star galaxy - when I put everyone on the lowest expansion setting on game setup. Sometimes 1-3 AI empires will do this. By mid to late game I might as well not have even added the other 4-8 empires since they are so puny after being resource/colony starved for so long.

Definitely some funny business going on. But stuff like that often done on purpose to make "AI" players more challenging.

< Message edited by BoogieMan -- 6/21/2010 9:04:41 PM >

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Alien AI constructor ships Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI