Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A suggestion to Matrix

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: A suggestion to Matrix Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/16/2010 4:21:33 PM   
Anendrue

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

I care about what ADG think, and I can't imagine that they are enthusiastic about what has transpired. Is this what Harry signed on for in February of 2004? Does the release of an MWiF with no AI and limited to the same four scenarios - little more than a gussied-up CWiF - conform to his vision? I think not.

Warspite1

So why do they not do anything about it? You've had an e-mail exchange with Harry Rowland apparently, so what's the story?

Well I have had an email exchange with Harry over some items for the web site. He seemed pretty upbeat about everything.

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 61
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/16/2010 4:34:28 PM   
Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phelan

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

It already knocks the socks off Vassal without an AI. I have not seen the version of Vassal with an AI.

Patience is aptly named, but his analysis does not take into acount the cost of money. At average inflation rates the time between now and a "kick-butt AI" will model the 1914 Mark versus the 1924 Mark.

In what sense does MWIF sans AI beat Vassal? People here are discussing prices like 60 dollars for a version with no AI and then 40 more for the AI... Thatīs a lot more than Iīd be willing to pay, let me tell you.

In fact, since WiF Vassal is working just fine Iīm not really sure I would find a MWIF sans AI interesting at all. Sure, it can handle supply and stuff like that so you donīt miss things. On the other hand, you will get constricted by RAW, minor rule changes compared to WIF to handle the computerized form will require re-thinking some stuff, will it handle new optionals or rule changes introduced after itīs release? And there will be no room for houserules.

For a long time I would have been happy for a MWIF/CWIF sans AI, but after that came Vassal and frankly now I donīt really see the need for a MWIF unless it comes with an AI.

Well, I for one do NOT use Vassel, have no intentions of using Vassel so to me MWiF is definately something I would want to purchase without (or maybe with) an AI. Just because a lot of people here do things a certain way that is fun and works for them, does not mean everyone feels the same way or wants the same things as those people do.

While I would like a MWiF initially released without an AI, I certainly do not expect the people here (nor Matrix or Shannon) to suddenly say "Wow! What a great idea. Everyone should want this.", lol.

I respect the opposing views and discussion and just wanted to let you know, while I am glad you like Vassel and enjoy it, there are those that don't even use it .

(in reply to Phelan)
Post #: 62
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/16/2010 5:05:04 PM   
composer99

CrusssDaddy @ 56 == spiteful trolling.

~ Composer99

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 63
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/16/2010 5:18:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: abj9562

quote:

quote:

I care about what ADG think, and I can't imagine that they are enthusiastic about what has transpired. Is this what Harry signed on for in February of 2004? Does the release of an MWiF with no AI and limited to the same four scenarios - little more than a gussied-up CWiF - conform to his vision? I think not.

Warspite1

So why do they not do anything about it? You've had an e-mail exchange with Harry Rowland apparently, so what's the story?

Well I have had an email exchange with Harry over some items for the web site. He seemed pretty upbeat about everything.

Warspite1

What? are you suggesting Crusssdaddy is talking rubbish?.....as usual

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 64
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/16/2010 5:55:33 PM   
brian brian

A suggestion to Matrix .... just please let me give you some money somehow. Kthx bye.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 65
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/16/2010 6:57:54 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

A suggestion to Matrix .... just please let me give you some money somehow. Kthx bye.

I think they cannot afford having bad reviews if releasing an early/unfinished product. That would hurt them in the long run. I am not suggesting that you would do a bad review yourself tought. I think of the larger gamer's community.

There are others Matrix products right now to spend money.

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 66
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/16/2010 9:14:41 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

It already knocks the socks off Vassal without an AI. I have not seen the version of Vassal with an AI.

Patience is aptly named, but his analysis does not take into acount the cost of money. At average inflation rates the time between now and a "kick-butt AI" will model the 1914 Mark versus the 1924 Mark.

In what sense does MWIF sans AI beat Vassal? People here are discussing prices like 60 dollars for a version with no AI and then 40 more for the AI... Thatīs a lot more than Iīd be willing to pay, let me tell you.

Of course. You paid what for Vassal plus an excellent WiF module for it? ... oh yeah, nothing.

quote:

In fact, since WiF Vassal is working just fine Iīm not really sure I would find a MWIF sans AI interesting at all. Sure, it can handle supply and stuff like that so you donīt miss things. On the other hand, you will get constricted by RAW, minor rule changes compared to WIF to handle the computerized form will require re-thinking some stuff, will it handle new optionals or rule changes introduced after itīs release? And there will be no room for houserules.

For a long time I would have been happy for a MWIF/CWIF sans AI, but after that came Vassal and frankly now I donīt really see the need for a MWIF unless it comes with an AI.

Composer said it best and I quote:
quote:

As far as I know, there are five things distinguishing MWiF from the free PBEM World in Flames utilities available.
(1) To legally play these, one is supposed to own a copy of World in Flames (that does not, I have no doubt, stop people from installing and using the PBEM utilities) - buying MWiF is sufficient into itself
(2) The PBEM utilities do not enforce the rules for you, you still have to remember or read them - MWiF does
(3) The PBEM utilities do not sort out counters, supply, production, etc. for you - MWiF does
(4) MWiF has prettier graphics and a user interface that is both better-looking and better-functioning
(5) MWiF has an AI

Assuming (1) is no serious obstacle, the question to be asked, if you want the game sans AI, is whether differences (2), (3) and (4) are sufficient draws to pay money for MWiF versus downloading a PBEM utility such as Cyberboard or Vassal, or even shelling out for the buggy, rudimentary CWiF available on ADG's website.

As for #5, the discussion is about when, not if, and whether there is an advantage in releasing the game that meets conditions 1 through 4 in the near future and then the version with the AI later on.

I'd also add that MWIF beats Vassal for graphics and player interface. Heck, Cyberboard beats Vassal for graphics - but not for player interface. And MWIF's graphics are superior to Cyberboard.

It is true that future rules changes and new optionals may not be added to MWIF and certainly won't become instantly available. But they could be added perhaps. It's difficult to say because it involves the scope of the agreement between ADG and Matrix. But your observation in this regard is based on playing WiF with the aid of a computer. That's not what MWIF is. It is a complete computer game that is based on WiF but has some differences, notably a full (European) scale world map. It also has an extensive sub-set of the WiF optional rules which can be individually selected.

Paul

(in reply to Phelan)
Post #: 67
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/16/2010 9:26:57 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo
... maybe just maybe there is nothing like playing a human through PBEM, I did so only once that was for two weeks and did not like the waiting for a reply, I am not knocking it and maybe will enjoy playing one or two of you board gamers in the future, but personally I like playing a game when I want to and not when someone is available to fit it into their schedule. I will by the game without an AI but reluctantly.

Bo

Consider the advantages of playing an AI-less MWIF solitaire;
- a far better version than CWIF
- an AI only as good as you are that you can beat or tie every game (also lose to or tie every game )
- a version that will allow you to play online or by email when you do decide you'd like to try that again - and this version will handle a vast amoount of the overhead and administrivia that you have to juggle when playing using FREX Vassal... production calculation and tracking, remembering all the rules, etc.

Paul

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 68
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/16/2010 11:46:45 PM   
michaelbaldur

for my point of view:

releasing Mwif without AI ...

is only a option if it takes a long time to finish the AI after the game is bug free ...

and I donīt think that anybody knows how long that takes

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 69
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/17/2010 12:45:25 AM   
CrusssDaddy

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

for my point of view:

is only a option if it takes a long time to finish the AI after the game is bug free ...

I'm confused... you said "the AI is almost finished" and "the game is perfect"?!??! Now the game is still bugged and nobody knows when the AI will be done? And I'm the one that's been talking rubbish?

Try to stay on track, ladies. This isn't about me - it's about this game. Matrix's efforts are indefensible, don't try to confuse the issue by switching the focus of the discussion.

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 70
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/17/2010 2:42:59 AM   
bo

quote:

quote:

... maybe just maybe there is nothing like playing a human through PBEM, I did so only once that was for two weeks and did not like the waiting for a reply, I am not knocking it and maybe will enjoy playing one or two of you board gamers in the future, but personally I like playing a game when I want to and not when someone is available to fit it into their schedule. I will by the game without an AI but reluctantly.

Bo

- an AI only as good as you are that you can beat or tie every game (also lose to or tie every game )
- a version that will allow you to play online or by email when you do decide you'd like to try that again - and this version will handle a vast amoount of the overhead and administrivia that you have to juggle when playing using FREX Vassal... production calculation and tracking, remembering all the rules, etc.

Sorry not quite sure what you mean, I know this I am playing cwif, and of course only in a solitare version and even though the computer does not allow mistakes, the solitare system is extremely boring even though the die dictates all outcomes and not you other than the odds you can create with multiple attackers, in MHO if you sat at home with the board game and played solitare you would go bananas pretty soon [just assuming that] I would think that the real fun of WIF board game was the chit chat, a little beer[maybe a lot] and just plain socializing with your friends other than that if all your friends moved away got married or just lost interest in the game your WIF board is loaded with dust.
sorry if you think I am being argumentive, I am not, the only change lately that I have made is reached deep into my soul for patience.

Bo

Post #: 71
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/17/2010 2:45:46 AM   
bo

quote:

quote:

for my point of view:

I'm confused... you said "the AI is almost finished" and "the game is perfect"?!??! Now the game is still bugged and nobody knows when the AI will be done? And I'm the one that's been talking rubbish?

Try to stay on track, ladies. This isn't about me - it's about this game. Matrix's efforts are indefensible, don't try to confuse the issue by switching the focus of the discussion.

Wow and I thought you had left I would like to ask you how you really feel but I dont want to go down that road again

Bo

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 72
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/17/2010 6:17:52 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

for my point of view:

Warspite1

Post 3 was plain wrong - I do not know why that was posted - and was mis-leading.

But please read the subsequent posts (which you seem to have "forgotten" in order to make your incredibly witty "try to stay on track ladies" line):

Steve confirmed the position in post 12 and I re-iterated the position to Skanvak in post 24.

To be crystal clear - a) The AI is not nearly done, and b) the game still has bugs that are in need of attention - as advised in Steve's monthly update - and that are being worked through by the beta testers.

That's where we are - no need to be confused.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to CrusssDaddy)
Post #: 73
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/17/2010 8:00:35 AM   
wworld7

quote:

The only people that are confused either have not read this thread from the beginning or want to appear that way, in time they will catch up if they want to.

Flipper

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 74
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/17/2010 10:34:57 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bo

Sorry not quite sure what you mean, I know this I am playing cwif, and of course only in a solitare version and even though the computer does not allow mistakes, the solitare system is extremely boring even though the die dictates all outcomes and not you other than the odds you can create with multiple attackers, in MHO if you sat at home with the board game and played solitare you would go bananas pretty soon [just assuming that] I would think that the real fun of WIF board game was the chit chat, a little beer[maybe a lot] and just plain socializing with your friends other than that if all your friends moved away got married or just lost interest in the game your WIF board is loaded with dust.
sorry if you think I am being argumentive, I am not, the only change lately that I have made is reached deep into my soul for patience.

Bo

So now the AI needs to chit chat and buy you beer and socialize. I'm sure that will speed its arrival.

Take that away and you really don't have much difference between AI and solitaire, so just what is the reason you need the game released tomorrow with an AI?

Paul

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 75
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/17/2010 12:39:45 PM   
Phelan

Paul, relax. I was offering my point of view, which I believe I have as much a right to as anyone, no need for the aggressive tone.

Not that I see that it matters to you, but since I resent the implication I can point out that I do own the board game with all the extra kits, when I use Vassal it is following the limits set by ADG, and the WiF module has permission from ADG.

My background is that I play, and started playing, the boardgame. From that background, I have a playing style where I might like to finish things not necessarily in sequence but rather by map. That is a lot easier on just a computerized board with markers than on MWIF which will have the rules and sequence of play encoded. On the other hand, as I said, one gets a lot of stuff handled automatically with MWIF, so it is a matter of taste and preference. On my part, I know the rules well enough and handle the adminstration rather quickly, so itīs not that big a hassle to do that manually. For someone not used to playing boardgame WiF, the administrative stuff will be a bigger hurdle and for them MWIF will surely be easier.

I havenīt looked at Cyberboard WiF in a while, but Vassal uses scanned original maps and counters, donīt remember that being the case for Cyberboard, will take a new look at it.

Cheers / Phelan

Post #: 76
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/17/2010 3:06:30 PM   
bo

Yeah Paul your starting to sound like I used to be, calm down, I was sorta asking a question about comradship in playing games as compared to solitare thats all, why you brought up beer and pretzels in the frame you used it in is beyond me, I also said I will buy it without an AI, gee I know you missed that one, twice now you posted on me and I have no idea what your talking about

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 6/17/2010 3:13:44 PM >

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 77
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/17/2010 3:19:14 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

quote:

The only people that are confused either have not read this thread from the beginning or want to appear that way, in time they will catch up if they want to.

Uh oh, oh boy Flipperwasirish your in trouble telling people they may be confused you better change your name to Flipperwaswolverine [referring to Michigan football team] but then again I am not sure your a Notre Dame fan

Bo

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 78
A new day will dawn - 6/17/2010 5:28:13 PM   
wworld7

quote:

Uh oh, oh boy Flipperwasirish your in trouble telling people they may be confused you better change your name to Flipperwaswolverine [referring to Michigan football team] but then again I am not sure your a Notre Dame fan
Bo

Bo,

Nice try, but wrong. It is a well known fact, that since the beginning of time, that every dolphin on this planet has been and will always be a huge supporter of the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Witht the latest changest to college sports...the Cornhuskers will make Irish stew out of the Big 10 (or 11 or 12)...

Flipper

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 79
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/17/2010 5:56:54 PM   
Terminus

It's slightly amusing that some people seem to think that the "AI" is something that's somehow apart from the rest of the game, and that the two aren't intimately intertwined...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 80
RE: A new day will dawn - 6/17/2010 5:58:43 PM   
bo

quote:

quote:

Bo

Bo,

Nice try, but wrong. It is a well known fact, that since the beginning of time, that every dolphin on this planet has been and will always be a huge supporter of the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Witht the latest changest to college sports...the Cornhuskers will make Irish stew out of the Big 10 (or 11 or 12)...

flipperwascornhusker, normally I would let this ride but thats not my nature why would the Big Ten allow a bunch of Okies ooops thats Oklahoma isnt it my mistake, sorry Sooners, into a conference that beat up on division three teams for thirty years or so, the Big Ten means just that BIG, they want ND so bad they are crying in there beers in Canada[figure that one out mister flipper whatever] and besides the stupid dolphins have to be protected by the big ten ooops oil companies or is that walruses

Bo

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 81
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/17/2010 6:00:06 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

It's slightly amusing that some people seem to think that the "AI" is something that's somehow apart from the rest of the game, and that the two aren't intimately intertwined...

Well said Terminus but you are now in big trouble, better run for the hills

Bo

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 82
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/17/2010 7:58:16 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

Paul, relax. I was offering my point of view, which I believe I have as much a right to as anyone, no need for the aggressive tone.

Not that I see that it matters to you, but since I resent the implication I can point out that I do own the board game with all the extra kits, when I use Vassal it is following the limits set by ADG, and the WiF module has permission from ADG.

My background is that I play, and started playing, the boardgame. From that background, I have a playing style where I might like to finish things not necessarily in sequence but rather by map. That is a lot easier on just a computerized board with markers than on MWIF which will have the rules and sequence of play encoded. On the other hand, as I said, one gets a lot of stuff handled automatically with MWIF, so it is a matter of taste and preference. On my part, I know the rules well enough and handle the adminstration rather quickly, so itīs not that big a hassle to do that manually. For someone not used to playing boardgame WiF, the administrative stuff will be a bigger hurdle and for them MWIF will surely be easier.

I havenīt looked at Cyberboard WiF in a while, but Vassal uses scanned original maps and counters, donīt remember that being the case for Cyberboard, will take a new look at it.

Cheers / Phelan

I am relaxed and I fail to see in what manner my response was aggressive. Of course you have the right to your opinion, just as I have the right to express disagreement with it. I wasn't trying to imply that you didn't own the game, and I'm sorry if you thought that. I was contrasting the cost of a retail product with that for shareware. Value for money is a subjective judgement, but when the denominator is zero, it gets tough to compare with other ratios.

I use Vassal, Cyberboard and Aide de Camp to record games and PBEM them too. IMO MWIF without an AI is better than any of those.

Paul

(in reply to Phelan)
Post #: 83
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/17/2010 10:08:03 PM   
HansHafen

quote:

I highly doubt this, so much so that I think I will...wait for it....chuckle, hehehehehe....

One logical reason for my doubt and amusement is the fact that the AI is "far" from complete, while the rest of the game appears to be quite well developed despite continued bug chasing. Now, if you are referring to the game following the rules as part of the AI, then your statement might have some merit. However, in that case we are speaking about two very different items. To clearify, when I speak of AI, I mean an AI opponent. One that can discern strategems and faint attacks in one direct and then swiftly redeploy to the main objective once the opponent has overreacted etc.

I wish there could be a good AI. I hope someday there will be a workable AI. Deep down in my heart of logic I know there never will be even a decent AI. It is not possible with this game. Saying this doesn't make me happy. It is just the truth.

Delaying the release of this title in an effort to produce an AI is a pipedream. Look at how long it has taken to get the "AI", or the program, to just follow the concrete rules. How can you program strategic or tactical intuition? How do you over come the same old mistakes that AI has been making in all the computer games that have come before?

This program was announced in 2004. It is 2010. The AI is not even near to completion. The program can't even operate bug free yet. Six years later. And we have had an extremely dedicated, talented and iron willed programmer going at it for 50 or more hours a week non-stop. And he has had a great deal of help from well meaning and industrious volunteers.

I want to believe. I wish I could believe. I just can't anymore.

Give us the AI-less game and then go prove me wrong.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 84
RE: A new day will dawn - 6/17/2010 10:08:53 PM   
wworld7

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bo

Bo,

flipperwascornhusker, normally I would let this ride but thats not my nature why would the Big Ten allow a bunch of Okies ooops thats Oklahoma isnt it my mistake, sorry Sooners, into a conference that beat up on division three teams for thirty years or so, the Big Ten means just that BIG, they want ND so bad they are crying in there beers in Canada[figure that one out mister flipper whatever] and besides the stupid dolphins have to be protected by the big ten ooops oil companies or is that walruses

Bo

Bo,

I hate to have to hit you upside the head with a flipper over and over and over again...WHACK, WHACK, WHACK!!!

But, sadly come 2012 and beyond the Cornhuskers will be the Big 10's representative to the Rose Bowl each year (the only bowl I never liked). As for ND, adding Nebraska helps a bit in getting them into the Big 10, honestly I hope it doesn't happen as personally I am a Big East fan for basketball (G-Town) and that would open the floodgates for the ACC, SEC & Big 10 to ruin the Big East conference.

Flipper

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 85
RE: A suggestion to Matrix - 6/17/2010 11:35:12 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansHafen

quote:

I highly doubt this, so much so that I think I will...wait for it....chuckle, hehehehehe....

One logical reason for my doubt and amusement is the fact that the AI is "far" from complete, while the rest of the game appears to be quite well developed despite continued bug chasing. Now, if you are referring to the game following the rules as part of the AI, then your statement might have some merit. However, in that case we are speaking about two very different items. To clearify, when I speak of AI, I mean an AI opponent. One that can discern strategems and faint attacks in one direct and then swiftly redeploy to the main objective once the opponent has overreacted etc.

I wish there could be a good AI. I hope someday there will be a workable AI. Deep down in my heart of logic I know there never will be even a decent AI. It is not possible with this game. Saying this doesn't make me happy. It is just the truth.

Delaying the release of this title in an effort to produce an AI is a pipedream. Look at how long it has taken to get the "AI", or the program, to just follow the concrete rules. How can you program strategic or tactical intuition? How do you over come the same old mistakes that AI has been making in all the computer games that have come before?

This program was announced in 2004. It is 2010. The AI is not even near to completion. The program can't even operate bug free yet. Six years later. And we have had an extremely dedicated, talented and iron willed programmer going at it for 50 or more hours a week non-stop. And he has had a great deal of help from well meaning and industrious volunteers.

I want to believe. I wish I could believe. I just can't anymore.

Give us the AI-less game and then go prove me wrong.

Have to agree HansHafen but what would it take to make a good AI, everbody complains about this AI and that AI but nobody has ever done it right IMHO, oh I know someone will say this game and that game is great AI and I will say show me, because in the long run you will figure out how to beat any computer game, many years ago I remember a game [but not the name] on which German computer armies invaded Russia with I think the 24th Panzer etc. The box front said this a game you cannot win, Hah they meant it nobody could win because 2 years later they admitted the computer cheated
I believe there will come a day [I wont see it] when you might be able to play Big Blueand have your hands full. MAYBE!

Bo

(in reply to HansHafen)
Post #: 86
RE: A new day will dawn - 6/17/2010 11:43:05 PM   
bo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bo

Bo,

Bo

Bo,

I hate to have to hit you upside the head with a flipper over and over and over again...WHACK, WHACK, WHACK!!!

But, sadly come 2012 and beyond the Cornhuskers will be the Big 10's representative to the Rose Bowl each year (the only bowl I never liked). As for ND, adding Nebraska helps a bit in getting them into the Big 10, honestly I hope it doesn't happen as personally I am a Big East fan for basketball (G-Town) and that would open the floodgates for the ACC, SEC & Big 10 to ruin the Big East conference.

Shocked just shocked gambling in Ricks shocked! Everyone with any sense of basketball knows that Villanova will own the Big East and beautiful downtown Pasadena where the Illegals hang out, you know there the ones who shuck the corn in Nebraska for 2$ an hour okay enough cant we get back on track here about the AI before Crussdaddy gets his 2 dollars in.

Bo

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 87
RE: A new day will dawn - 7/6/2010 1:59:57 PM   
SingSteve

Dear All,
My two cents: I probably would buy MWiF without an AI, but would much prefer it had one.

Since moving to Singapore I have found myself without opponents in any form: FTF is too much to hope for and I've spent a year on vassal player-wanted lists looking for a game but I think my time-zone is a problem (I want to play live, don't have a desk job and can't imagine how PBEM would be practical if you don't sit in front of computer 9-5). In desperation I've even sent for CWiF. So I'm really hoping (praying would be more accurate, see below) for MWiF with a good AI.

I'm not really moved by the debates on this issue though I will say that (1) I too find it strange that so many people take a "shareholders" (contracts and profits) interest in the question (I forget who put it this way), and (2) post-count pedigree shouldn't come into things (ancient posting-history I know, but still). I have been monitoring the forums (rather too) regularly for some time, but don't really (feel that I) have anything constructive to add. I know the board game well, but know less than nothing about AI/code-writing stuff.

Respect and best wishes to Mr Shannon. You must love the game as much as I do. And to the play-testers: keep up the good work.

My problem is that I find it difficult to believe the AI will ever be good enough. This is meant as no disrespect to those devoted to proving me wrong, it's just that I've never played a computer game I couldn't quickly master, and I'm thinking of comparatively simple games nothing like as complex as WiF. I will/would be in awe of anyone who can deliver even a half-decent AI. I just hope I won't be kept waiting a long time for an AI I'll use once or twice and then give up on. In which case the now-without-AI brigade may have a point (insofar as the rest of the game is bug-free).

Oh, I nearly forgot the real reason I'm writing. Someone mentioned vassal-with-AI. Can this be true? I'd be interested in looking at it, have searched, but can't find it. Could someone please direct me.

Steve.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 88
slightly amusing - 7/7/2010 12:19:12 AM   
Skanvak

quote:

May be because we play the game without an AI for years and that the game basically is a 2 players game so I guess that some of us just don't see the need for an AI at all. It remind me too of a game from Paradox on which I would love to disable the AI and play all the side myself.

I totally share Hanhanfen point of view.

< Message edited by Skanvak -- 7/7/2010 5:53:30 AM >

Best regards

Skanvak

(in reply to SingSteve)
Post #: 89
RE: A new day will dawn - 7/7/2010 4:33:21 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: SingSteve

Oh, I nearly forgot the real reason I'm writing. Someone mentioned vassal-with-AI. Can this be true? I'd be interested in looking at it, have searched, but can't find it. Could someone please direct me.

Steve.

There is no AI for Vassal. What was said was that playing Vassal solitaire would give you a good AI opponent. And Vassal would have the same advantage of taking up no room on the dining room table - just on your hard drive.

Playing MWIF solitaire would also provide a good AI opponent, and would be even less "work".

Paul

(in reply to SingSteve)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: A suggestion to Matrix Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI