Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/19/2010 10:50:32 AM   
CarnageINC

.177 caliber air pellet 

TANKERS!

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 31
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/19/2010 1:58:03 PM   
RevRick

.50 cal Ma Deuce....taking very careful aim at the Atlantic Ocean
....or maybe a 10 guage shotgun (most unusual thing I have shot - belonged to a cousin who was a highway patrol trooper on a baaaaaaadddddd stretch of road! Now that thing kicked. Did I mention it was sawn off at 19"!)
I have also fired Thompson 45 cal, Colt 45 hand gun (both ACP and hogleg), M1 Garand (we had really up to date equipment in the small arms locker at that time.) Would love to have an M1 now (and the ACP), but might have a hard time explaining it to my wife.
I have range shot with Springfields, Mausers, Garands, M14 and several hunting pieces.
Love shooting, but can't afford that hobby. This one is bad enough!

< Message edited by RevRick -- 6/19/2010 2:01:36 PM >

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Post #: 32
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/19/2010 2:45:43 PM   
captskillet

I hear Rev on that 10 gauge scatter gun..........we used to carry one (single shot so you got ALL the KICK) to shoot cripples when we went Duck hunting............ needlees to say you didn't use that one too many times in one day till you said no mas!!

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 33
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/19/2010 3:18:25 PM   
LST Express

M60 machine gun and the law. Not really big guns, but the biggest I've shot.

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 34
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/19/2010 7:31:33 PM   
frank1970

Hm, fired a MG3 tripod, a Panzerfaust (trainig version) and some handgrenades.
Possibilities to own a rifle in Germany are quite restricted by law.

If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 35
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/19/2010 8:21:33 PM   
morganbj

Lots of stuff:

81 mm mortar (a few times)
120 mm Mortar (many, many times)
90 mm Jagdkannone round (two or three times. What a stinkin' treat that was!)
105 mm tank round (many, many, many, many times)
120 mm tank round (a few times)
155 mm howitzer (three or four times, but with help)

And too many different individual weapons to list.

Post #: 36
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/19/2010 8:37:47 PM   
LeeChard

Does a dozen sticks of dynamite count? My cousin has a blasting license and we were removing an old cherry tree stump in a farmer's field. We had used two sticks to loosen it up and my cuz told the farmer he could yank it out with his tractor. The farmer got mad at us and said we were being paid to get it out of the ground. He got his wish. It must have taken half a day to pick up the chunks of wood spread around the field and fill the crater

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 37
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/19/2010 9:36:21 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Tree removal, eh?

That's how it's done!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqY7b4JpJMw

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 38
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/20/2010 4:42:07 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

A 12 gauge shotgun, when I was 14 or 15. Me and my cousin used to kill little birds with it

One day, my cousin killed an incredibly beautiful bird (a woodpecker, if I remember correctly). I realised that was very mean: "we killed such a beautiful creature".

I haven't touched a gun since that day. I still feel very sad when I remember that bird (I didn't kill it, right, but I know I would have done it)

Funny you say this. I shot a pileated woodpecker when I was fourteen. Thought it was a crow. (crow hunting was legal back then). I never shot another thing after that.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 39
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/20/2010 6:00:30 AM   
PaxMondo

6 guage shotgun as a 12 year old.  After the first shot I was in the perfect AA position if that had been needed.  Oh, and about 10 feet from where I had started.  Just a little bit of a kick.  My Dad, Grandfather,and uncle's were all laughing their asses off. 

Pax

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 40
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/20/2010 6:55:52 AM   
goodwoodrw

I'll show my age, a 3.5in rocket launcher, albeit an inert round, but got to squeeze the trigger, early 70s.

Formerly Goodwood

Post #: 41
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/20/2010 1:34:58 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

A 12 gauge shotgun, when I was 14 or 15. Me and my cousin used to kill little birds with it

One day, my cousin killed an incredibly beautiful bird (a woodpecker, if I remember correctly). I realised that was very mean: "we killed such a beautiful creature".

I haven't touched a gun since that day. I still feel very sad when I remember that bird (I didn't kill it, right, but I know I would have done it)

Funny you say this. I shot a pileated woodpecker when I was fourteen. Thought it was a crow. (crow hunting was legal back then). I never shot another thing after that.

Crows are very intelligent They were our prefered "victims", but somehow these intelligent animals knew we were there and *poof* gone

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 42
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/20/2010 1:54:18 PM   
BigBadWolf

M-84 (Ex-Yugoslav modification of T-72) 125 mm main gun once. Bone shattering experience.
М53/59 SPAA dual 30 mm guns. That thing rocks.

Post #: 43
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/20/2010 2:54:04 PM   
crsutton

My Remco "Johnny Reb Cannon" The greatest Christmas present I ever got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR6WP69VcUg

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by crsutton -- 6/20/2010 2:57:19 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 44
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/20/2010 7:04:20 PM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

My Remco "Johnny Reb Cannon" The greatest Christmas present I ever got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR6WP69VcUg

Life sized ones are even more fun!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 45
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/20/2010 7:29:22 PM   
LST Express

We pulled into the Vicksburg battlefield parking lot a few years back just as they were firing one of those things. It shook the car and startled the hell out of us! It was pretty cool!

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 46
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/20/2010 8:36:21 PM   
JWE

quote:

Kinda Off Topic. I remember my first, graphically. Hunting rabbits with my Dad in the grove, when I was 11. It was traumatic to say the least. Ever since then, I have been positively Wiccan about hunting: only shoot what you can eat; never shoot unless you can kill (never, ever, shoot to bleed out); and to always cry and give respect to the magnificent animal you just killed. Both the Christian God and the Wiccan Goddess say this is ok, so long as needs must, and honor is given.

Kinda On Topic. Shot a 155mm gun at school. Trained on some bigger ones, but never got to get them to go boom. I'm mostly a 105mm kinda person.

Post #: 47
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/20/2010 8:46:51 PM   
The Gnome

I lit off a bottle rocket once when I was a kid. So I've got that going for me.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 48
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/20/2010 9:19:01 PM   
Durbik

5,45mm round - ak-74. No biggie.

obey the fist!

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 49
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/20/2010 11:53:24 PM   
Bearcat2

As a tank gunner; 152mm, 105mm and 120mm.
But the most fun was hip firing an M-60 MG-stupid stupid stupid-but FUN

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Durbik)
Post #: 50
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/21/2010 12:16:03 AM   
Mynok

.44 mag rifle. I was about six. Knocked me on my butt. The gun stayed rooted to my shoulder though.

Frankly, if you aren't holding it to your shoulder or in your hands, you aren't shooting it. You're just setting it off.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 51
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/21/2010 2:04:06 AM   
jomni

The one between my goins.

Post #: 52
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/21/2010 5:47:01 AM   
Kadrin

.500 Smith and Wessen Revolver for pistols, and the Boys Anti-Tank Rifle are the biggest I've fired. That anti-tank rifle was damn fun to shoot, the revolver was just painful.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 53
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/21/2010 6:37:38 AM   
V22 Osprey

A 36 inch Howitzer, I was able to personally load and fire it myself from my back yard. Took out my friend's house half across the city of Corona, but atleast they weren't inside when fired it.

Art by rogueusmc.

Post #: 54
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/21/2010 1:21:54 PM   
morganbj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Termite2

Good grief! I forgot about the 152mm. We had 'em in the early 70's before the Army came to its senses. Yeah, I fired that a few hundred times, too. When the damn thing misfired, which it did a lot, we had to push the round out of the tube with the cleaning rod since the round had no brass cannister to extract it with. So, the thing's in the chamber, having been "fired," and we're outside inserting a 12' rod in the tube. Great fun.

Only got to fire the missle once, though. Those things were pretty expensive, as I recall. We used to call the Sheridans BEWMs, for Broken Electric War Machines (a play on a popular toy being sold then). What a piece of crap it was. It even came with its own toilet paper.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 55
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/21/2010 5:47:11 PM   
tocaff

8 gauge shotgun that nearly tore my shoulder off!  Never thought much of a 12 gauge after that.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 56
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/21/2010 5:57:50 PM   
Nikademus

never fired a weapon but i did almost burn my house down as a kid.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 57
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/21/2010 6:35:48 PM   
John Lansford

One of my old employees was with the 82nd Airborne in Desert Storm, and was a TOW gunner.  The whole time on their race across the desert, he never got to fire the thing, right up to when the Iraqis stopped fighting.  Then they had to police an area and clean up all the unexploded ordinance; when they were finished he asked his commander to fire the TOW, since he hadn't had the chance.  He put the round right into the bunker they had put the old ammo; he said the explosion was magnificent...

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 58
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/21/2010 7:35:53 PM   
Bearcat2

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

quote:

Good grief! I forgot about the 152mm. We had 'em in the early 70's before the Army came to its senses. Yeah, I fired that a few hundred times, too. When the damn thing misfired, which it did a lot, we had to push the round out of the tube with the cleaning rod since the round had no brass cannister to extract it with. So, the thing's in the chamber, having been "fired," and we're outside inserting a 12' rod in the tube. Great fun.

Only got to fire the missle once, though. Those things were pretty expensive, as I recall. We used to call the Sheridans BEWMs, for Broken Electric War Machines (a play on a popular toy being sold then). What a piece of crap it was. It even came with its own toilet paper.

It was a great weapon I liked how the propellant would fall out on the turret floor and when you moved your boots over them, you get little sparks
What's not to like about the Sheridan; I watched one burn, the armor burning made a nice fire. We like to get the new guys to load, that way; it was great fun to watch them when the gun would go out of battery on firing; not so much fun for the gunner when the "cherry" juice would spray him when that happened. The M60A2 was a little better; at least the armour didn't burn and the gun would stay in battery most of the time.
I didn't get to fire it; but was near[me and everyone else in a 5 mile radius] when they set off a nuclear simulator, would like to set one of those off in my backyard, that would get homeland security's attention in a hurry.

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 59
RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? - 6/21/2010 8:55:13 PM   
morganbj

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

quote:

It was a great weapon I liked how the propellant would fall out on the turret floor and when you moved your boots over them, you get little sparks
What's not to like about the Sheridan; I watched one burn, the armor burning made a nice fire. We like to get the new guys to load, that way; it was great fun to watch them when the gun would go out of battery on firing; not so much fun for the gunner when the "cherry" juice would spray him when that happened. The M60A2 was a little better; at least the armour didn't burn and the gun would stay in battery most of the time.
I didn't get to fire it; but was near[me and everyone else in a 5 mile radius] when they set off a nuclear simulator, would like to set one of those off in my backyard, that would get homeland security's attention in a hurry.

Saw one catch fire and blow up on a Reforger exercise in 1973, I think it was. One guy never found, one died on the chopper to Nuremburg. One guy made it half-way to San Antonio. All because some jerk was trying to fix the heater while smoking a cigarette. The thing was sans ammo. I can't imagine what would have happened had we not downloded the basic load before the exercise.

Your post brings back many crummy memories. Thank goodness they dumped those pieces of crap.

The M60A2 was a little better, I guess, but it was still a waste of a good tank gun platform. The A1 was MUCH better in taking out other tanks. Glad they ditched that one, too. (And the turret design on the A2 was bizzare. Some guy smoking the funny green stuff thought that one up.)

Enough. Let's get back to seeing the other answers.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: So, what's the biggest gun you guys have fired? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI