Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The FFL in North Africa?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The FFL in North Africa? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The FFL in North Africa? - 8/1/2002 5:37:06 AM   
Cath0de

I just started my World War II campaign in SPWaW, choosing the American Army side just for familiarity's sake. I started my campaign in North Africa, in December of '41. I started my first scenario (assaulting a shoreline), and I was very surprised when my naval bombardment started killing the French Foreign Legion. Why am I fighting the French in North Africa when I should be fighting the Germans? BTW, my final score for the mission was 4642 over 1161. Not bad for a first try.:D

"War is too important to be left to the politicians." - General Ripper
Post #: 1
It's a matter of Timeline.... - 8/1/2002 6:36:12 AM   
Orzel Bialy

and history I'm afraid. ;)
If you choose to play the US in 41' and the landings are in North Africa, then you will come up against the French as it was their colonies at the time...Germany didn't move into Vichy French territory until after 41'.

(in reply to Cath0de)
Post #: 2
- 8/1/2002 6:47:50 AM   
Drex

I believe there were quite a few battles with the Vichy French in the early days: in Syria, Madagascar and perhaps Indochina. the major conflicts were in the Morroco area.

(in reply to Cath0de)
Post #: 3
- 8/1/2002 9:32:05 AM   
Cath0de

Oh. So I don't actually fight the Germans until November '42 (when we invaded.)?

(in reply to Cath0de)
Post #: 4
- 8/1/2002 10:27:56 AM   
Drex

Operation Torch was against the Vichy French(11/8/42). We didn't encounter the Germans until Tunisia (11/17/42).

(in reply to Cath0de)
Post #: 5
- 8/1/2002 10:33:52 PM   
Jim1954

If you're only one scen into it, restart and pick a start date of 11/42.

(in reply to Cath0de)
Post #: 6
- 8/2/2002 12:15:48 AM   
Cath0de

Ok that makes sense...I really need to sharpen my history. I knew we landed on November 8th, 1942 on the north african coast, but I didn't know we fought French until the 17th!

(in reply to Cath0de)
Post #: 7
- 8/2/2002 8:27:31 AM   
G_X

Strange strange, I have a German WWII Campaign where I can choose the NA front, and play as the Germans, against the brits so far. This started in mid '41...glitch...or...?

Maybe I'm just confused (It's very likely)

But I'm about 6 Scens into it now, and it's starting to get good (December 41 now...Heheh) My troops are pretty experienced, and I've upgraded a few times...I don't wanna lose my beautiful Panzer Korps...

Help?

(in reply to Cath0de)
Post #: 8
- 8/2/2002 9:16:03 AM   
Drex

If you are US, you can only fight the French in early '42, but if you are brits you could fight Italians or Germans. Germans could fight only Brits( in NA) before Nov'42 and their first clash was in March'41

(in reply to Cath0de)
Post #: 9
- 8/2/2002 9:21:44 AM   
G_X

Thanks Drex, now I don't feel I'm living out some obscure glitch that's not even close to correct.

Well then, I suppose that settles that, heh, I feel quite dumb. Onward my Panzers! To Cairo! (Or something :D)

(in reply to Cath0de)
Post #: 10
- 8/2/2002 9:46:26 AM   
Drex

Don't feel dumb. i had to look it up. Its kind of fun trying to build up a library of warfare and being able to use it. some of the guys in this forum are real experts and know this stuff by heart. It pays to read the forums.

(in reply to Cath0de)
Post #: 11
- 8/2/2002 10:02:49 AM   
G_X

Yes it does, speaking of which...I seem to be fighting over Tobruk a good bit...I'll win a defend mission, then retreat from an assault before I lose too many men (Trying to think like a real commander, not just play the game and throw my men at the problem) All my tank crews are Elites, and most of my engineers are as well...but say I broke through past Tobruk, finally, what would come next? It'd be nice to know what's on the other side, might get me motivated to lose a few more men if it means pushing through.

(in reply to Cath0de)
Post #: 12
- 8/2/2002 10:28:20 AM   
Drex

historically, Operation Crusader came next which was a rebuff to Rommel and a beginning of the end for the DAK, so expect heavier resistance as the Brits get more reinforcements through Convoy "tiger". Rommel was denied any reinforcements.

(in reply to Cath0de)
Post #: 13
- 8/2/2002 11:54:05 AM   
G_X

I've noticed the brits starting to get stronger, I figured it was imagination, or just their technology getting better.

Mmm, well, I just hope I can get some better Panzers before too long goes by, or I may not be able to rely on my tanks any more, which hurts my whole battle plan.

(in reply to Cath0de)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The FFL in North Africa? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI