Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategic Loss

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Strategic Loss Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategic Loss - 6/29/2010 8:18:16 PM   
6971grunt

The rules don't seems to cover the issue, but what constitutes a "strategic loss" for either side?

"Over?! It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!" John Blutarsky from the Movie "Animal House"
Post #: 1
RE: Strategic Loss - 6/29/2010 10:08:13 PM   
Alfred

Ah...would you care to be...somewhat...more precise as to what you mean by the term "strategic".

Firstly, as a game, AE already provides different levels of victory/draw/defeat. Is a decisive victory not viewed by you as constituting a "strategic" victory?

Secondly, the term "strategic" is usually put in juxtaposition to "tactical". In the real world, one can discuss whether a particular battle or campaign resulted in a "strategic" or "tactical" victory or defeat. However applied to the outcome of a war, the terms "strategic" or "tactical" victory/defeat are quite meaningless. A war is concluded either decisively or a negotiated outcome ends one. Again, AE's victory levels provide some guidance along these lines.

Alfred

(in reply to 6971grunt)
Post #: 2
RE: Strategic Loss - 6/30/2010 5:47:03 AM   
Sredni

I'm kinda curious too what modifies the Strategic losses bit in the scoring column of the intelligence panel. Mine are both at 0. If I had to guess I'd say occupied mainland bases of either side (allied occupation of bases on the japanese homeland or japanese occupation of mainland usa bases), but thats just a wag.

(in reply to 6971grunt)
Post #: 3
RE: Strategic Loss - 6/30/2010 8:18:08 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sredni

I'm kinda curious too what modifies the Strategic losses bit in the scoring column of the intelligence panel. Mine are both at 0. If I had to guess I'd say occupied mainland bases of either side (allied occupation of bases on the japanese homeland or japanese occupation of mainland usa bases), but thats just a wag.

you score strategic loss points for destroying the enemy´s industry. As Japan you would have to bomb Australia´s or US industry, as the Allied you have to bomb Japan´s industry in the home islands. Nothing to do with taking ground.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 4
RE: Strategic Loss - 6/30/2010 10:53:28 AM   
Sredni

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

you score strategic loss points for destroying the enemy´s industry. As Japan you would have to bomb Australia´s or US industry, as the Allied you have to bomb Japan´s industry in the home islands. Nothing to do with taking ground.

ahh cool ty. So I guess I won't be seeing any points until late in the game. And the japanese should almost never get points heh.

edit: lol, wasn't me with the info, I just screwed up quoting castor troy is all heh, thanks to him.

< Message edited by Sredni -- 6/30/2010 8:32:29 PM >

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 5
RE: Strategic Loss - 6/30/2010 8:23:00 PM   
6971grunt

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ahh cool ty. So I guess I won't be seeing any points until late in the game. And the japanese should almost never get points heh.

I think that answers my question - no thanks to Alfred............

"Over?! It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!" John Blutarsky from the Movie "Animal House"

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 6
RE: Strategic Loss - 6/30/2010 8:28:37 PM   
6971grunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Ah...would you care to be...somewhat...more precise as to what you mean by the term "strategic".

Firstly, as a game, AE already provides different levels of victory/draw/defeat. Is a decisive victory not viewed by you as constituting a "strategic" victory?

Secondly, the term "strategic" is usually put in juxtaposition to "tactical". In the real world, one can discuss whether a particular battle or campaign resulted in a "strategic" or "tactical" victory or defeat. However applied to the outcome of a war, the terms "strategic" or "tactical" victory/defeat are quite meaningless. A war is concluded either decisively or a negotiated outcome ends one. Again, AE's victory levels provide some guidance along these lines.

Alfred

Huh?! My question still persists - there is a scoring catagory under the "information" button on the AE screen that indicates "Allied Strategic Losses" and "Japanese Strategic Losses" - how are they calculated? Thanks to Sredni I think I know.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 7
RE: Strategic Loss - 6/30/2010 10:32:36 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: grunt6971

quote:

Alfred

Huh?! My question still persists - there is a scoring catagory under the "information" button on the AE screen that indicates "Allied Strategic Losses" and "Japanese Strategic Losses" - how are they calculated? Thanks to Sredni I think I know.

Firstly that was not your initial question.

Secondly, if you had really checked "the rules", as claimed, you would not have stated that the rules did not seem to cover the issue as it is in fact quite clearly dealt with on pages 53 and 264 of the manual. All you had to do was look up the index.

Thirdly, it was not Sredni who really answered your "non question" but Castor Troy who specifically addressed Sredni's post.

My mistake was in assuming that a reasonable question, albeit worded somewhat imprecisely, had been posted. Had I realised that a lazy question had been asked, I probably would not have bothered to assist you. If you thought my reply was too theoretical, the explanation was that I could not imagine how anyone could even think that it is possible to win WITP:AE primarily on "strategic points". The game would end in an auto victory well in advance before "strategic points" tallied up to 51% of all victory points scored.

Alfred

(in reply to 6971grunt)
Post #: 8
RE: Strategic Loss - 7/7/2010 10:17:35 PM   
6971grunt

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: grunt6971

quote:

Alfred

Firstly that was not your initial question.

Secondly, if you had really checked "the rules", as claimed, you would not have stated that the rules did not seem to cover the issue as it is in fact quite clearly dealt with on pages 53 and 264 of the manual. All you had to do was look up the index.

Thirdly, it was not Sredni who really answered your "non question" but Castor Troy who specifically addressed Sredni's post.

My mistake was in assuming that a reasonable question, albeit worded somewhat imprecisely, had been posted. Had I realised that a lazy question had been asked, I probably would not have bothered to assist you. If you thought my reply was too theoretical, the explanation was that I could not imagine how anyone could even think that it is possible to win WITP:AE primarily on "strategic points". The game would end in an auto victory well in advance before "strategic points" tallied up to 51% of all victory points scored.

Alfred

My, my don't we feel important and superior - do you have many friends that tolerate your "superiority complex"? Or maybe your mother didn't breast feed you enough when you were little?

Frankly, I've fought and killed better men than you - so save your caustic remarks for someone who cares.....

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 9
RE: Strategic Loss - 7/9/2010 4:29:42 AM   
Wirraway_Ace

Gentlemen,

that was ugly to have to read...

(in reply to 6971grunt)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Strategic Loss Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI