Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 6/30/2010 11:24:09 PM   
wodin

no....a very non religious country to be honest....my Mother in Law is a devout catholic...and my daughter is being brought up a catholic...Irish blood you see....

So no there is no particular part of the country that is devoutely religious....in the countries cencus Jedi is one of the most common religon written down...

Could be a reason why the countries going to the dogs actually.....no higher power to answer to...who knows..

(in reply to axisandallies)
Post #: 151
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/1/2010 1:42:12 AM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

The British Empire did alot of good when you go beyond the liberal PC viewpoint and actually make an effort to gain knowledge rather than just jumping on a bandwagon\myth.

Yup they sure were good at stealing the indigenous peoples property and rights. And they had no problem gunning them down any time they got uppity. We quit murdering Indians by 1900. Britain was still murdering their "subjects" into the the late 1930's.

You might want to study up on the Phillpino insurrection before you categorically state that we stopped killing our "subject peoples" long before the Brits did. Our hands aren't as squeaky clean as you might think.

The Philippines was a war between us and Muslim extremists. YOU may want to read up on History.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 152
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/1/2010 2:05:41 AM   
axisandallies

quote:

no....a very non religious country to be honest....my Mother in Law is a devout catholic...and my daughter is being brought up a catholic...Irish blood you see....

So no there is no particular part of the country that is devoutely religious....in the countries cencus Jedi is one of the most common religon written down...

Could be a reason why the countries going to the dogs actually.....no higher power to answer to...who knows..

"jedi" is May the 4th, their holiday?

Stupid rebellion, anyhow....D. Vader

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 153
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/1/2010 4:54:53 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: axisandallies

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

am I the only one who thinks comparing atrocities in order to score points is the height of bad taste?

Warspite1

Well said Nikademus - looks like we're back to the old US/UK mud slinging. It'll be the slave trade next

Both countries have at various times done good, both have done some bad - its what they learn from it that counts - and simple fact is; on balance they've both been forces for the good.

We can never forget our past.....it keeps us human.

Warspite1

Correct - that's what I said - learning from mistakes of the past....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 154
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/1/2010 6:53:41 AM   
jomni

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The British Empire did alot of good when you go beyond the liberal PC viewpoint and actually make an effort to gain knowledge rather than just jumping on a bandwagon\myth.

Yup they sure were good at stealing the indigenous peoples property and rights. And they had no problem gunning them down any time they got uppity. We quit murdering Indians by 1900. Britain was still murdering their "subjects" into the the late 1930's.

You might want to study up on the Phillpino insurrection before you categorically state that we stopped killing our "subject peoples" long before the Brits did. Our hands aren't as squeaky clean as you might think.

The Philippines was a war between us and Muslim extremists. YOU may want to read up on History.

Some clarification.

1) Philippine Insurrection (also called the Philippine-American War) happened in the early 1900s but still ended before the 1930s (I cannot confirm the claim about the Brits). Fighting style is conventional early on then became guerilla.
2) Moro (Muslims in south) relebellion (not controled by the Aguinaldo's Philippine gov't forces in the north but usually included in the timeline of the War) escalated after the pacification of the Aguinaldo Government and lasted longer. And the atrocities are more brutal and whole villages were massacred. More like counter insurgency than conventional battle. BTW, these are not Muslim extremists. These are native people just like the Indians.

Trivia: most US generals who served in the war were veterans of the Indian Wars.

< Message edited by jomni -- 7/1/2010 7:03:15 AM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 155
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/1/2010 7:04:32 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

The right wing evanglecal bible belt in the States are just as dangerous in their opinions as any communist....absolute headcases.

Having grown up in Louisiana I can testify to this first hand. I've been there. I saw it. They are absolute headcases.

I've noticed some Brit/American mudslinging in this thread but I have to say I myself enjoy studying the history of both sides of the Atlantic. Both countries kick some major ass.

I never get tired of looking at how huge the American fleet was in the Pacific War and as for the British, I think the fact that a little island once controlled a quarter of the Earth's landmass and population at one time is pretty damn amazing. Wasn't there a phrase that "The sun never sets on the British Empire"?

I think you guys should look at the good points instead of bringing out each other's dirty laundry.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 156
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/1/2010 5:26:38 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

I think you guys should look at the good points instead of bringing out each other's dirty laundry.

I agree...well said...I apologise in case I've offended anyone.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 157
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/1/2010 5:42:18 PM   
E

quote:

There was a fantastic BBC documentry about the British Empire and it was very insightfull...and I learnt alot Infact....there are two sides to everything you know....nothing is black and white...

I always try to learn all sides of history and try and take a neutral perspective with out being blinded by propaganda...

You can only learn with an open mind

I learned everything I needed to know about the British and British Society from three documentaries. Each being crucial to understanding the British...

1. For military information, strategy and history - Dad's Army.
2. For the inner workings of the UK government - Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister.
3. For the thought processes used by the everyday people - Monty Python.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 158
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/1/2010 8:58:46 PM   
Carl Myers

quote:

Well, since you are a dude who has to learn a new language when the sex of your monarch changes, all is forgiven.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 159
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/1/2010 9:02:26 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Carl Myers

quote:

Well, since you are a dude who has to learn a new language when the sex of your monarch changes, all is forgiven.

Warspite1

Que?

(in reply to Carl Myers)
Post #: 160
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/1/2010 9:11:21 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Regardless of what their religion was or their reason for rebellion (religious jihad or struggle for freedom) they WERE a "subject" populas ruled by us and we did engage in killing many of them. You might want to work on a grasp of reading comprehension so you can understand the point being made and avoid responding with nonsequitors.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 161
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 12:00:05 AM   
Carl Myers

Have you forgotten that we who live across the pond don't speak the whosoever is in charge English, we speak American!!!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 162
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 1:08:32 AM   
Twotribes

quote:

Have you forgotten that we who live across the pond don't speak the whosoever is in charge English, we speak American!!!

Ya every single war is the US fault? That is the STUPIDEST argument yet. We did not arrive in the Philippines and go "damn we needs to kill some Muslims" THEY attacked US. They resorted to terror and guerrilla warfare. We simply responded. We should take a lesson from that war in our current war with Islam.

(in reply to Carl Myers)
Post #: 163
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 1:09:20 AM   
axisandallies

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

quote:

There was a fantastic BBC documentry about the British Empire and it was very insightfull...and I learnt alot Infact....there are two sides to everything you know....nothing is black and white...

I always try to learn all sides of history and try and take a neutral perspective with out being blinded by propaganda...

I learned everything I needed to know about the British and British Society from three documentaries. Each being crucial to understanding the British...

2. For the inner workings of the UK government - Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister.

You forgot two......for us Americans.....Austin Powers and Sweeny Todd......this is a jest and not to be taken seriously

(in reply to E)
Post #: 164
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 6:13:50 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Warspite1

Not trying to be funny - and apologies if I am being thick - but I don't have a clue what either of your last two posts meant??

(in reply to Carl Myers)
Post #: 165
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 6:19:59 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Not trying to be funny - and apologies if I am being thick - but I don't have a clue what either of your last two posts meant??

I have to agree with this. I was wondering the same thing.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 166
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 6:53:55 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

quote:

You forgot two......for us Americans.....Austin Powers and Sweeny Todd......this is a jest and not to be taken seriously

Warspite1

British History

Dad'd Army is a very good place to start if you want to learn all about the history of one of the Home Guard's elite squads - the crack Walmington-on-sea platoon.

If you want to learn about earlier episodes of British history I suggest there is probably no more accurate or insightful series than that of Blackadder.

You can learn all about Elizabeth I "I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a concrete elephant".

Next comes the Regency period which centres around the future George IV
Blackadder: Sir Talbot represented the constituency of Dunny-on-the-Wold, and, by an extraordinary stroke of luck, it is a rotten borough.
George: Really! Is it! Well, lucky-lucky us. Yippee. Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky. Lucky, lucky. Lucky. Luck-a-doodle-dandy-dingle. Luck luck. Luck. Cluck, cluck, cluck. Cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck.
Blackadder: You don't know what a rotten borough is, do you, sir?
George: No.

Finally there is a series devoted to World War I "Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals".

Priceless.....and totally off topic - sorry

Post #: 167
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 7:18:48 AM   
Brigz

quote:

"jedi" is May the 4th, their holiday?

May the 4th be with you? Clever. (I'm not much of a Star Wars fan so I had to read that twice.)

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

Post #: 168
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 2:10:19 PM   
Carl Myers

When your queen shuffles off this mortal coil, won't you have to learn a new language, the King's English instead of the Queen's English?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 169
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 2:17:16 PM   
7th Somersets

Would it be fun to play the same game with other countries?

Take Britain out...

Take Russia out...

Take France out...

(in reply to Carl Myers)
Post #: 170
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 3:10:08 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

quote:

Ya every single war is the US fault? That is the STUPIDEST argument yet. We did not arrive in the Philippines and go "damn we needs to kill some Muslims" THEY attacked US. They resorted to terror and guerrilla warfare. We simply responded. We should take a lesson from that war in our current war with Islam.

priceless........

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 171
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 6:34:01 PM   
Twotribes

quote:

quote:

quote:

priceless........

You are aware that Muslims are STILL fighting the Philippine Government and have been since it came into being?

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 172
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 7:02:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

When your queen shuffles off this mortal coil, won't you have to learn a new language, the King's English instead of the Queen's English?

Warspite1

Oh I see.....

In answer to your question, no, over the last three hundred years or so we have found they are surprisingly similar and we normally get the hang of the new language after about a nanosecond

Not always been the case of course. In the distant past we've had to get used to French, Dutch and German at various times. However it tended to be the new King that learned our language rather than us peasants learning his; either way we worked it out eventually .

(in reply to Carl Myers)
Post #: 173
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 7:50:53 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Oh I see.....

In answer to your question, no, over the last three hundred years or so we have found they are surprisingly similar and we normally get the hang of the new language after about a nanosecond

Not always been the case of course. In the distant past we've had to get used to French, Dutch and German at various times. However it tended to be the new King that learned our language rather than us peasants learning his; either way we worked it out eventually .

I still don't get it.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 174
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 7:56:08 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

priceless........

You are aware that Muslims are STILL fighting the Philippine Government and have been since it came into being?

You are aware that you appear to be having an argument with yourself?

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 175
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 8:03:31 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Oh I see.....

I still don't get it.

Warspite1

The Queen's English or King's English (depending upon who is on the throne) is essentially the "posh" (for want of a better term) English spoken by aristocratic familiies including the Royal Family and was traditionally used by BBC presenters - think Alvar Liddell - before regional accents became acceptable.

Carl Myers was therefore joking that if a Queen died and was replaced by a King, we would need to learn a new language i.e. it would no longer be the Queen's English, but the King's English (when in fact there is absolutely no difference at all).

Hope that helps.....and makes the reason for my response clear. The French Dutch and German thing refers to the fact that early English monarchs were more likely to speak French than English. The Dutch was William III after the velvet revolution that displaced James II and German was the arrival of the Hanovarians.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/2/2010 8:06:07 PM >

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 176
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 8:14:08 PM   
Nikademus

while your on the subject......the subject of British succession has me a tad confused. Why wouldn't Charles get the throne if the Queen left this mortal coil? (I think i heard it would go to his eldest son)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 177
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 8:20:07 PM   
warspite1

quote:

while your on the subject......the subject of British succession has me a tad confused. Why wouldn't Charles get the throne if the Queen left this mortal coil? (I think i heard it would go to his eldest son)

Warspite1

Nikademus, there is a load of old rubbish going around about that. Queen Elizabeth will be succeeded by her son Charlies, the Prince of Wales (assuming he survives Her Majesty).

There is no constitutional rules allowing anything else as far as I am aware.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 178
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 8:58:22 PM   
Nikademus

except that according to Eddie Izzard, the Queen is bionic. She'll NEVER give up the throne!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 179
RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. - 7/2/2010 10:28:33 PM   
axisandallies

quote:

ORIGINAL: 7th Somersets

Would it be fun to play the same game with other countries?

Take Britain out...

Take Russia out...

Take France out...

Take France out.......you almost had me.

(in reply to 7th Somersets)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Ok lets take America out of WW2. Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI