Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI vs Rules

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> AI vs Rules Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI vs Rules - 7/2/2010 5:02:30 PM   
bo

Probably a dumb question but what the heck I have asked them before Absolutely do not want to stir the AI contraversy again [you know AI or no AI] but this is gnawing at me it seems to me [assuming ] that for Steve to incorporate the 4,000 rules into code why not do just some of the rules now and add some later, a few rules and playable is to me better than all the rules and two years down the road before all the rules are done and the game comes to fruitation. I would still prefer a good AI over anything but thats just me, the AI seems very important to many here and to a few, less important. To the purist here I guess I have suggested a trip to hell and I should rot in it. But in reality if Steve is going to do the AI and he said he was than do it and put a lot of the rules on the back burner I am not trying to be smart but sometimes common sense [ by Thomas Paine] suggests we cant do everything at once. What should be the priorty here?

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 7/2/2010 5:04:11 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/2/2010 5:26:32 PM   
michaelbaldur

without revealing to much

we have already removed some non critical options rules.

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 2
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/2/2010 7:46:48 PM   
MilRevKo

AI is a pipe dream. There is no computer program in the world that can run a game of this scale. It really is that simple.

Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes -Publilius Syrus

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 3
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/2/2010 8:41:20 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

Thank you again as always Michael, but there is that mysterious felling I am getting again "without revealing to much" think of me as an investigative reporter Michael wanting to know more, I am probably on the lowest rung of the famous "need to know".
Ok moving on I would think in my little mind that the major holdup of this game is instituting all of the rules of this game and having to debug them constantly, right, wrong or NDA I admit I know nothing about programming but it is obvious even to a noob like me that something is holding this game up, maybe just maybe you should do away with some critical rules for the moment and add them later

Bo

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 4
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/2/2010 8:44:37 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: MilRevKo

AI is a pipe dream. There is no computer program in the world that can run a game of this scale. It really is that simple.

I agree 100% MilRevKo with you in fact no AI could come close to beating any of the seasoned veterans that have played the board game for years, so are you saying dont do an AI?

Bo

(in reply to MilRevKo)
Post #: 5
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/2/2010 10:43:31 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

quote:

Thank you again as always Michael, but there is that mysterious felling I am getting again "without revealing to much" think of me as an investigative reporter Michael wanting to know more, I am probably on the lowest rung of the famous "need to know".
Ok moving on I would think in my little mind that the major holdup of this game is instituting all of the rules of this game and having to debug them constantly, right, wrong or NDA I admit I know nothing about programming but it is obvious even to a noob like me that something is holding this game up, maybe just maybe you should do away with some critical rules for the moment and add them later

Bo

Doing away with a rule to remove complexity is like saying a large bowl of spaghetti would be organized if you removed one noodle.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 6
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/3/2010 2:37:00 AM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Bo

Doing away with a rule to remove complexity is like saying a large bowl of spaghetti would be organized if you removed one noodle.

An economic question using data from this thread (ie: a fantasy "what if")

Current postion:
Fantasy constant #1: MWIF is released in two (2) years including all "4000 rules" (YIPPEE).
FC #1a: It takes Steve 5000 hours of programming to complete the project.

Fantasy Proposal #1: MWIF-LIGHT is released in one (1) year but only included "2000" rules (Yip...OMG).
FP#1a: It takes Steve 2500 hours of programming to compete the project.

Fantasy Proposal #2: MWIF-LIGHT is upgraded to MWIF and released 1.5 years after MWIF-LIGHT (with all "4000" rules).
FP#2a: It takes Steve 3750 hours of programming to merge the missing "2000 rules" to bring MWIF to total completion (Yippee).

Explaination of timeframe for FP#2a or why did it take Steve longer to add in the missing "2000 rules"? The extra time is needed to add, blend, splice, connect NEW code to OLD code (it takes a lot of time and much more testing). It is quicker to program something originally then to add it in later. This is one of the reasons why "feature creep" can destroy projects IF the project manager allows it to go unchecked.

RESULT: FP#1 gets us the finished MWIF product in two (2) years (YIPPEE).

RESULT: FP#2 gets us "something" in a year and then the finished MWIF 1.5 years later (YIPPEE).

Here is my question: If FP#2 is used who pays Steve for the additional .5 year of programming work?
A. He does it for free (YIPPEE...sorry)
B. MWIF-LIGHT price is increased by $50.00 (ie: original MWIF cost + $50.00).
C. The completed MWIF is sold as an add-on for $50.00 (not a good idea IMO as I generally dislike this kind of policy).
D. The first sixty (60) buyers send Steve $500.00 each (please send this to me and I'll pass it on to Steve (- a small fee )).

Flipper

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 7
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/3/2010 4:57:26 AM   
bo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bo

Without revealing too much Steve wouldn't you say it is the rules and all of their complexity that keeps you programming so many hours and probably loss of sleep, ok keep all the rules see if I care three noodles would organize anything anywhere.

Bo

Post #: 8
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/3/2010 4:59:45 AM   
bo

Aw shucks my post made Flipper flip, could you please explain what you meant to say in
layman terms pretty please

Bo

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 9
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/3/2010 6:11:03 AM   
wworld7

quote:

Aw shucks my post made Flipper flip, could you please explain what you meant to say in

Bo

Bo,

I didn't flip, I tried (spent 25 minutes) to make the scenario "simple". I don't see any terms that a layman can't understand especially for areas pertaining to programming. Maybe I should have tried using the bowl of pasta but my guess is that if I used sauces and cheese as variables you (me or anyone else) wouldn't be able to grasp the concepts as clearly as I laid out above.

Anyway, everyone have a Happy 4th of July weekend. GO USA...oops...GO BRAZIL...oops...Go GHANA...oops...

This World Cup has been a bit crazy (anyone seen the French team? Or are they still drinking to forget this year?)

Flipper

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 10
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/3/2010 3:42:27 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

quote:

Bo

Bo,

I didn't flip, I tried (spent 25 minutes) to make the scenario "simple". I don't see any terms that a layman can't understand especially for areas pertaining to programming. Maybe I should have tried using the bowl of pasta but my guess is that if I used sauces and cheese as variables you (me or anyone else) wouldn't be able to grasp the concepts as clearly as I laid out above.

Anyway, everyone have a Happy 4th of July weekend. GO USA...oops...GO BRAZIL...oops...Go GHANA...oops...

This World Cup has been a bit crazy (anyone seen the French team? Or are they still drinking to forget this year?)

Simple is as simple does Flipper, wow 25 minutes that seems like a lifetime to me after you have waited 5 years at least eyeing these posts I think you are inhaling things in your Vuvuzela instead of blowing into it I thought my question was right on [of course I always think that ]from the gist of the posts from Steve it seems the coding of these rules is eating up quite a bit of his time, Steve can correct me if this coding of rules is a minor thing. I wasnt trolling I asked a legitimate question and I get hyperbole [is that a word did not go to college so forgive me] 4000 rules 400 rules 40 rules whose counting, I as a novice think that is what is causing this delay. It has to be mind boggling to code these rules [a compliment Steve] I think Spain is going to win this farce, they should cut the field in half so it looks like a game. Sorry about the Vuvuzela remark [well not really] always remember Mr Cornhusker you are my favorite poster

Bo

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 11
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/3/2010 4:39:05 PM   
brian brian

I think Bo is on to something here, and indeed the first few decisions on which rules options to exclude from the AI have already been made.

It probably would be easier to program the AI to play "WiF Classic" than it would be to play "WiF SuperDeluxe".

It takes a long time and a lot of game-playing to realize this, but more than a few steady players of the game move back from the cutting edge of adding every possible ADG kit to a pile of now more than 6,000 counters and just play Classic these days. Possibly Steve would disagree here, that the programming would be the same. But it seems intuitive to me that the AI will perform better at the lower counter densities and thus fewer decision points of a Classic game as opposed to one with light cruisers, construction engineers, oil tank farms, and sorting out things like this for example: gun divisions that are heavy/light/static/towed/self-propelled/sometimes-doubled/sometimes-not. Ditto on which types of divisions can interact with which types of ships of planes.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 12
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/3/2010 6:28:32 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

I think Bo is on to something here, and indeed the first few decisions on which rules options to exclude from the AI have already been made.

It probably would be easier to program the AI to play "WiF Classic" than it would be to play "WiF SuperDeluxe".

It takes a long time and a lot of game-playing to realize this, but more than a few steady players of the game move back from the cutting edge of adding every possible ADG kit to a pile of now more than 6,000 counters and just play Classic these days. Possibly Steve would disagree here, that the programming would be the same. But it seems intuitive to me that the AI will perform better at the lower counter densities and thus fewer decision points of a Classic game as opposed to one with light cruisers, construction engineers, oil tank farms, and sorting out things like this for example: gun divisions that are heavy/light/static/towed/self-propelled/sometimes-doubled/sometimes-not. Ditto on which types of divisions can interact with which types of ships of planes.

Thank you Brian [on to what] look I am just fishing for some answers nothing negative intended, see I dont understand classic from smassic but in trying to use common sense all those rules are creating program problems within themselves, I never thought of the rules before in this light good lord every rule most likely has such a variation on game play it would boggle any ones mind. Probably too late but really why not cut a lot of the rules out, some one said in a previous post that tha AI testing hasn't even begun, dont know whether thats correct or not, but if it has not we are in for a looooooong wait here.

Bo

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 13
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/3/2010 7:05:47 PM   
wworld7

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bo

Bo,

Simple is as simple does Flipper, wow 25 minutes that seems like a lifetime to me after you have waited 5 years at least eyeing these posts I think you are inhaling things in your Vuvuzela instead of blowing into it I thought my question was right on [of course I always think that ]from the gist of the posts from Steve it seems the coding of these rules is eating up quite a bit of his time, Steve can correct me if this coding of rules is a minor thing. I wasnt trolling I asked a legitimate question and I get hyperbole [is that a word did not go to college so forgive me] 4000 rules 400 rules 40 rules whose counting, I as a novice think that is what is causing this delay. It has to be mind boggling to code these rules [a compliment Steve] I think Spain is going to win this farce, they should cut the field in half so it looks like a game. Sorry about the Vuvuzela remark [well not really] always remember Mr Cornhusker you are my favorite poster

Bo

Bo,

I didn't say your idea was bad. And rather than just dismissing your idea, I took the long route and tried to give an example with some of the factors involved if it was implemented and the cost of such an action. Perhaps, some you may not have thought of or been aware of (like what does it do to Steve's compensation/per hour). As for 25 minutes, hey I am a terrible at spelling and tried to make my post correct.

I guess you (and some others) want a less complete MWIF pushed out the door, no matter the effect on the finished MWIF product (some others of us want). It isn't a right or wrong to want either, especialy since we don't get to make the choice on what actually is produced.

Also, as for my 25 minutes it has no connection to your 5 year wait, so I won't comment on that.

Happy Holiday,

Flipper

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 14
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/3/2010 7:54:04 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Even if you stick to just WIF Classic there are a lot of rules. Consider the following (for debugging naval movement code):

1 - Move an individual naval unit during the Naval Movement phase (unlimited naval moves permitted) and test that it can correctly reach each sea area and port destination. Include the rules about passing Gibraltar/Skaggerak/Panama/Suez/London, going through Kiel, stopping in Brest even if London is not held.
2 - Move multiple naval units as a stack for the same as #1.
3 - Do all the above during a combined action and keep track of naval moves.
4 - Do all the above using submarines (which can go pass Gibraltar and only require 1 naval move if they all start from the same hex).
5 - Do all the above, then undo moves and see if the units return to the correct locations. The number of available naval moves increases when a move is undone.
6 - Do all the above including naval transports and have the TRS pick up units from port (both at start and when passing through a port) and from a sea area (both when starting in a sea area and when ending a move in a sea area).
7 - Repeat all of the above for the Returning to Base phase, forced naval rebases due to overruns, conquest, liberation, and Vichy France formation and collapse, and aborts from naval combat.
8 - Now repeat all of the above when enemy units can conduct naval interceptions. Once an interception is possible, undoing any moves is prohibited. Consider the following cases:
8a - no interception attempted. Moving units stop in the sea area (they can now load units from coastal hexes).
8b - no interception attempted. Moving units keep moving (perhaps after dropping off some units - dropped off units can load units from coastal hexes).
8c - interception attempted but failed. Moving units stop in the sea area (they can now load units from coastal hexes).
8d - interception attempted but failed. Moving units keep moving (perhaps after dropping off some units - dropped off units can load units from coastal hexes).
8e - interception succeeded and moving side stops in the sea area (they can now load units from coastal hexes).
8f - interception succeeded and moving side fights through (either voluntarily or forced to do so by the rules). This variation has several logic paths depending on the outcome of the naval combat.
9 - For all the above, consider that multiple players can be moving units simultaneously during a NetPlay game.

There are rules about weather, DOW surprise, neutrality, cooperation betweenn countries, control of minor countries, and foreign troop commitments that have to be considered in the above.
---
Given all this, adding in that SCS units can carry divisions, restrictions on the what the Queens and AMPHs can carry, and Rough Seas are minor additions.

P.S. I might have forgotten to mention some things. But I do know that all of the above have to be considered and coded (it is at least 10,000 lines of code). Note that I haven't even gotten into the details of naval combat in the above list.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 15
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/4/2010 2:42:12 AM   
bo

Flipper if you and I cant rag each other in good nature I have to give up on these posts and this game I took no offence to anything you said, actually it made sense but that does not solve the problem of too much coding for Steve to do, and trully I would like a complete game with all the rules intact, I know you want a complete game and there is nothing wrong with that but at what cost to players patience in the coming years.

Bo

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 16
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/4/2010 2:57:41 AM   
bo

quote:

quote:

Even if you stick to just WIF Classic there are a lot of rules. Consider the following (for debugging naval movement code):

1 - Move an individual naval unit during the Naval Movement phase (unlimited naval moves permitted) and test that it can correctly reach each sea area and port destination. Include the rules about passing Gibraltar/Skaggerak/Panama/Suez/London, going through Kiel, stopping in Brest even if London is not held.
2 - Move multiple naval units as a stack for the same as #1.
3 - Do all the above during a combined action and keep track of naval moves.
4 - Do all the above using submarines (which can go pass Gibraltar and only require 1 naval move if they all start from the same hex).
5 - Do all the above, then undo moves and see if the units return to the correct locations. The number of available naval moves increases when a move is undone.
6 - Do all the above including naval transports and have the TRS pick up units from port (both at start and when passing through a port) and from a sea area (both when starting in a sea area and when ending a move in a sea area).
7 - Repeat all of the above for the Returning to Base phase, forced naval rebases due to overruns, conquest, liberation, and Vichy France formation and collapse, and aborts from naval combat.
8 - Now repeat all of the above when enemy units can conduct naval interceptions. Once an interception is possible, undoing any moves is prohibited. Consider the following cases:
8a - no interception attempted. Moving units stop in the sea area (they can now load units from coastal hexes).
8b - no interception attempted. Moving units keep moving (perhaps after dropping off some units - dropped off units can load units from coastal hexes).
8c - interception attempted but failed. Moving units stop in the sea area (they can now load units from coastal hexes).
8d - interception attempted but failed. Moving units keep moving (perhaps after dropping off some units - dropped off units can load units from coastal hexes).
8e - interception succeeded and moving side stops in the sea area (they can now load units from coastal hexes).
8f - interception succeeded and moving side fights through (either voluntarily or forced to do so by the rules). This variation has several logic paths depending on the outcome of the naval combat.
9 - For all the above, consider that multiple players can be moving units simultaneously during a NetPlay game.

There are rules about weather, DOW surprise, neutrality, cooperation betweenn countries, control of minor countries, and foreign troop commitments that have to be considered in the above.
---
Given all this, adding in that SCS units can carry divisions, restrictions on the what the Queens and AMPHs can carry, and Rough Seas are minor additions.

P.S. I might have forgotten to mention some things. But I do know that all of the above have to be considered and coded (it is at least 10,000 lines of code). Note that I haven't even gotten into the details of naval combat in the above list.

Yo Steve I am totally convinced that you have a monumental job on your hands, I did not and will not say anything negative about your work again on these posts, I only thought if less rules were involved you would be able to move on and get this game out, it was not negative in any way, people have to remember me and some other people are total noobs when it comes to this game, you and others can explain to the cows come home about coding, rules, etc. to us neophytes and some of it sinks in and some of it goes right over our heads [well maybe only me] when you look at the posters compared to a year ago there is a big drop not maybe in posts because the same posters post over and over and over but they are the diehards the rest have gone on to other games. They drop in now and then to check out your reports and dont come back till next month[maybe] I am also playing solitare with CWIF[no other choice] and even with the die roll changing combat situations it is boring to say the least. I have to be honest I am losing heart for this game.

Bo

Post #: 17
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/4/2010 5:40:17 AM   
wworld7

quote:

Flipper if you and I cant rag each other in good nature I have to give up on these posts and this game I took no offence to anything you said, actually it made sense but that does not solve the problem of too much coding for Steve to do, and trully I would like a complete game with all the rules intact, I know you want a complete game and there is nothing wrong with that but at what cost to players patience in the coming years.

Bo

Bo,

I am not into ragging on each other, I just didn't want you to think I (not that my opinion is important) was dismissing your idea without providing a explaination as to why (and I only covered a couple of the many reasons it could lead to problems). It wasn't meant to solve the problem you think Steve has with coding "too much". Steve has a project plan (I'm sure of this) which includes X hours of coding/testing time (NOTE: X is a variable as it needs to handle issues and changes in a project). Eliminating say 50% of the rules would not automatically reduce this time by 50%. Since coding and testing are forged together (in a good project plan) an option could be the remainng 50% of the rules are given this extra time for more fixing and better testing before release. Maybe I should have used this yesterday as it is simpler.

Also, don't put too much weight into the number of people posting, many people are following this project just by checking this forum every month or two. It doesn't mean they have given up on it, it is just a way to keep tabs until the project is finished (that's how I followed CWIE project (Computer War in Europe) by Decission Games).

Anyway, I'm tired and need to sleep.

Have a nice weekend.

Flipper

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 18
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/4/2010 1:42:23 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

I agree 100% MilRevKo with you in fact no AI could come close to beating any of the seasoned veterans that have played the board game for years, so are you saying dont do an AI?

I can't speak for others, but for me having a challenging computer opponent for solo gaming at my convenience and for my entertainment is the desired goal. I get to define what convenience and entertainment mean for me, nobody else does. I do not expect the AI to be brilliant or capable of challenging seasoned veterans; that is not the goal. But it should be functional and capable enough to satisfy casual gamers. Plus with some difficulty settings and other handicaps, it is quite possible to have an AI that provides a challenging game.

It's different than playing a seasoned veteran of course, but can still be enjoyable. As I often enjoy playing boardgames solo, where I play both sides and let the dice decide how things go. It's just different. What continues to amaze me is how some folks want to dictate to others how they are supposed to play and enjoy games like this, as if there's only one way or the highway. Wrong.

Brilliant AI may be a pipe dream but it's still a goal worth shooting for. We already have games about as complicated as possible, with wonderful eye-candy and sound effects, and lots of bells and whistles to appease those who want everything. The great appeal of computer wargames was always the prospect of a challenging computer opponent, ready and willing whenever you are. Still true today.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 19
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/4/2010 8:31:05 PM   
Zorachus99

If you don't mind, I'd like to add a few noodles to the bowl of spaghetti. 

As a beta tester for some years now, I'm very encouraged at the steady progress Steve has made.  The codebase that was inherited from Windows 98 had to be merged with modern technology so that it would behave properly. I confess to screwing things up by bringing up architectural issues that needed remedy, so that the game would work on future platforms.  Frankly, Steve is some kind of genuis for unraveling assembly someone else wrote, and then writing documented functioning routines.

As far as AI goes, I have a lot of faith in some of Steve's ideas.  Take some time to read all of what Steve's written.  I suspect he could pull off a fearful AI.

Cheers & Happy 4th!

Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 20
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/5/2010 12:27:54 AM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99

If you don't mind, I'd like to add a few noodles to the bowl of spaghetti. 

As a beta tester for some years now, I'm very encouraged at the steady progress Steve has made.  The codebase that was inherited from Windows 98 had to be merged with modern technology so that it would behave properly. I confess to screwing things up by bringing up architectural issues that needed remedy, so that the game would work on future platforms.  Frankly, Steve is some kind of genuis for unraveling assembly someone else wrote, and then writing documented functioning routines.

As far as AI goes, I have a lot of faith in some of Steve's ideas.  Take some time to read all of what Steve's written.  I suspect he could pull off a fearful AI.

Cheers & Happy 4th!

Hey Zora I thank you for your input and respect your opinion as a beta tester which is far beyond my scope of how things ought to be, I have Cwif, as you already know there is no AI, I think ADG is the smart ones around, they did not have to input one probably they felt it was impossible to do a good one and if they did not think it impossible why didn't they do it? I will most likely hear from people why they did not do it but the facts are THEY DID NOT DO IT! Maybe someone from ADG could explain why.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 7/5/2010 12:35:51 AM >

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 21
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/5/2010 12:47:40 AM   
bo

quote:

quote:

Bo

Bo,

I am not into ragging on each other, I just didn't want you to think I (not that my opinion is important) was dismissing your idea without providing a explaination as to why (and I only covered a couple of the many reasons it could lead to problems). It wasn't meant to solve the problem you think Steve has with coding "too much". Steve has a project plan (I'm sure of this) which includes X hours of coding/testing time (NOTE: X is a variable as it needs to handle issues and changes in a project). Eliminating say 50% of the rules would not automatically reduce this time by 50%. Since coding and testing are forged together (in a good project plan) an option could be the remainng 50% of the rules are given this extra time for more fixing and better testing before release. Maybe I should have used this yesterday as it is simpler.

Also, don't put too much weight into the number of people posting, many people are following this project just by checking this forum every month or two. It doesn't mean they have given up on it, it is just a way to keep tabs until the project is finished (that's how I followed CWIE project (Computer War in Europe) by Decission Games).

Anyway, I'm tired and need to sleep.

Have a nice weekend.

Im tired to Flipper, tired of reading posts, just want to play MWIF, I am a dingleberry dunce, I need elaborate explanations for my feeble mind, for instance if one rule has many multiple facets to it and it takes a good amount of time to do that one rule then by my deduction the next rule will take X amount of time and so on and on, again I try to use common sense and common sense says to this person something is wrong with your deduction, one rule x amount of time two rules x amount of time one hundred rules EGADS. I have no idea where Steve is on rule whatever, maybe they are all done and just need testing, hope so.

Bo

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 22
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/5/2010 1:12:07 AM   
Skanvak

The point is that the rules, optionals one, are quite important for the people who have been playing with them for a long time. So asking to take off rules will upset most of us, included me. The game will already come without an editor :(

The second point, is the AI. Preparation work as been done as I have seen on this forum. The more intersting question Brian Brian raised is to limit the option the AI, I REPEAT FOR GAME AGAINST THE AI, so limit the option avialable when you play again the AI. I have no point of view on this one. I just wonder if it would not speed up writing the AI?

By the way it is always good to let the player edit the AI as AI scripting comoetition result in stronger AI.

Best regards

Skanvak

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 23
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/5/2010 2:17:40 AM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skanvak

The point is that the rules, optionals one, are quite important for the people who have been playing with them for a long time. So asking to take off rules will upset most of us, included me. The game will already come without an editor :(

The second point, is the AI. Preparation work as been done as I have seen on this forum. The more intersting question Brian Brian raised is to limit the option the AI, I REPEAT FOR GAME AGAINST THE AI, so limit the option avialable when you play again the AI. I have no point of view on this one. I just wonder if it would not speed up writing the AI?

By the way it is always good to let the player edit the AI as AI scripting comoetition result in stronger AI.

Truely I did not mean to upset you about less rules, if all these rules are that important to you then you must be prepared to wait several more years for the game and reading your post it does not look like you will mind that even though I know you would like it as soon as possible, Im sorry I cant believe all those additional rules can be that important to hold up this game for an indefinite period of time, but could be wrong.

Bo

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 24
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/5/2010 4:43:09 AM   
Skanvak

The point is not that they are important or not, is that we are used to them now. It will be headhache to reach an agreement on which rule to drop and not. The group that did not get there favorite optional rule might just not buy the game. What I try to say is that for grognard to buy it, it will need to be as the paper game is, otherwise it will lose its appeal for those that have played the game before and more so to those who are still playing it regularly. I hope I can make you understand the feeling. btw most optional rule where here to simplifie the boardgame to make it more manageable for poor human mind, nearly all optional rules are consider a plus or to say otherwise are the true rules, and the option is to not use then if you dont have the time or place. I hope it helps you umderstmds our point of view.

I am very happy that people who don t know the game are interested in it, don t take me wrong.

Best regards

Skanvak

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 25
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/5/2010 1:04:28 PM   
fallgelb

I can hardly imagine an AI that is competitive. For example:

In my last game, the Russian player suddenly concentrated two white circle and two other TAC4 around Dneprpetrowsk. In this time I had five Oil Ressources.
So this was of course a very crucial situation. In this situation Ploesti has to be guarded quick and effective (more than the usual one FTR and rum. Corps). The AI would have to reconginze the threat of PARA and StratBomb and the combined "one-two-punch-scenario". I can not imagine an AI recognicing this threat accordingly.

So the gamer in MWIF will at best be able to play vs. the AI (like in any other game) competitive standard situations but not any "gimmick" strategies, operations or tactics.

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 26
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/5/2010 4:11:01 PM   
bo

quote:

The point is not that they are important or not, is that we are used to them now. It will be headhache to reach an agreement on which rule to drop and not. The group that did not get there favorite optional rule might just not buy the game. What I try to say is that for grognard to buy it, it will need to be as the paper game is, otherwise it will lose its appeal for those that have played the game before and more so to those who are still playing it regularly. I hope I can make you understand the feeling. btw most optional rule where here to simplifie the boardgame to make it more manageable for poor human mind, nearly all optional rules are consider a plus or to say otherwise are the true rules, and the option is to not use then if you dont have the time or place. I hope it helps you umderstmds our point of view.

I am very happy that people who don t know the game are interested in it, don t take me wrong.

Thank you Skanvak for your clarification on how you feel about rules, I feel your pain[where have we heard that before] You speak of the Grognard buying this game well IMHO this game wont make any money for Matrix or Steve if the general gaming public does not buy it, and do you think they will care about all these extra rules they only want a game that is playable, remember War in the Pacific great game if your retired and dont have a family to feed and take care of and have 12 hours a day to give to it [time element] It seems to me everytime I ask a legitimate question about this game it turns into a semi-war which is not what I meant it to be, Geez guys every rule cant be that important could it I am sure every board game player will buy this game, is there any idea [estimate] how many players have the board game?

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 7/5/2010 4:24:47 PM >

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 27
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/5/2010 4:24:26 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: fallgelb

I can hardly imagine an AI that is competitive. For example:

In my last game, the Russian player suddenly concentrated two white circle and two other TAC4 around Dneprpetrowsk. In this time I had five Oil Ressources.
So this was of course a very crucial situation. In this situation Ploesti has to be guarded quick and effective (more than the usual one FTR and rum. Corps). The AI would have to reconginze the threat of PARA and StratBomb and the combined "one-two-punch-scenario". I can not imagine an AI recognicing this threat accordingly.

So the gamer in MWIF will at best be able to play vs. the AI (like in any other game) competitive standard situations but not any "gimmick" strategies, operations or tactics.

Fallgelb how true, I waited with nerves quivering for the release of computer 3rd Reich, within several days I never played it again, Berlin was under attack from the Russians the British and the Americans, very few German units were defending Berlin, where were the AI Panzers, down fighting in Rumania, the game had a very good repositioning feature and in one move could have put a slew of units surrounding Berlin and maybe not change the final outcome but at least delay it, never played it again biggest waste of money of any war game I ever bought, the programmers who shall be nameless made a disgraceful game and should have refunded everyones money, I actually talked to them on the phone about the AI and their answer was well it will help you understand the board game better NICE HUH! But that was many years ago and we know how the AI has vastly improved

Bo

(in reply to fallgelb)
Post #: 28
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/6/2010 8:36:56 AM   
Phelan

quote:

quote:

Thank you Skanvak for your clarification on how you feel about rules, I feel your pain[where have we heard that before] You speak of the Grognard buying this game well IMHO this game wont make any money for Matrix or Steve if the general gaming public does not buy it, and do you think they will care about all these extra rules they only want a game that is playable, remember War in the Pacific great game if your retired and dont have a family to feed and take care of and have 12 hours a day to give to it [time element] It seems to me everytime I ask a legitimate question about this game it turns into a semi-war which is not what I meant it to be, Geez guys every rule cant be that important could it I am sure every board game player will buy this game, is there any idea [estimate] how many players have the board game?

Bo

I´m not sure the analogy to War in the Pacific is accurate. Games designed as computer games from scratch have a LOT of little details and values for each and every unit etc, simply because when you are not limited to a set number of counters with fixed values you can do that. MWiF, being based on a boardgame, is actually... shall we say "chunky" in comparison. The tactical and strategic options in WiF are at least as interesting, but the time you spend on the game are spent on making choices, not micromanaging a zillion units. (Most strategic computer games these days, <hrrmmm Paradox hrmmm>, swamp their games with a thousand details and chrome to cover up the fact that the AI sucks, hoping people will be happy just building detailed stuff.)

A lot of the optional rules are actually such a standard to most WiF groups. They add a lot in play value but don´t really require a lot of extra time to play. If one wanted to make AI programming a little easier with regards to effects of optionals, I think it would make more sense to make some of the optionals always included instead of discarding any.

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 29
RE: AI vs Rules - 7/6/2010 9:15:07 AM   
fallgelb

And there has to be a "seperate AI" for each permutation of important Options:
1. Oil (see example above)
2. Japanese compulsatory peace
3. Night Air Missions
4. AMPH Rules
etc.

(in reply to Phelan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> AI vs Rules Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI