Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another Mutual Defence Pact question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Another Mutual Defence Pact question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another Mutual Defence Pact question - 7/5/2010 10:03:43 AM   
Haree78

So I make a MDP with asn Ally thinking he's a reliable sort and both our military combined can help against all the bullies that are near us. Sure enough some nasty sorts started on my Ally and he was quick to ask me to go to War with them. We crushed them for their crimes, great stuff.

Next a much bigger threat started attacking my border colonies and unafraid because of my Alliance I decided that kind of action deserved War and so I declared it. However could I get my allies with the Mutual Defence Pact to go to War aswell? No way. I couldn't find a way to request the same as the AI do. The best I could find to fit it was opening a trade negotiation and offering nothing for a War with my enemy. They would say that they cannot be threatened by me....odd...

So anyway how can you use a Mutual Defence Pact to your benefit like the AI does?
Post #: 1
RE: Another Mutual Defence Pact question - 7/5/2010 11:40:31 AM   
Deldk

You need to be the one that is attacked, and not attacking someone. It is a defence pact, and will be available when defending, not attacking. 

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 2
RE: Another Mutual Defence Pact question - 7/5/2010 11:42:55 AM   
Haree78

Ok which leads me to my next questions.
So the pact is of no use if my enemy just attacks me without declaring war?
Also you say I can do it if they declare War on me?  How do I do it in that case then?

(in reply to Deldk)
Post #: 3
RE: Another Mutual Defence Pact question - 7/6/2010 2:03:20 AM   
Haree78

Ok so I played some more tonight. I was declared war on several times and I found no option to get the AI to declare war on my aggressor however when I checked the diplomacy screen 1 of my Allies was now at war with my aggressor and another AI who I also had a MDP with wasn't.

Someone care to explain
1) What was going on in my game with 2 different AIs acting differently?

2) How you are meant to request your allies to honour the treaty? Deldk suggests I should have an option somewhere and I couldn't for the life of me find it.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 4
RE: Another Mutual Defence Pact question - 7/6/2010 1:06:49 PM   
Alex Gilbert

I do not believe there is a way to force your allies to honor the MDP. I believe they are automatically alerted to someone attacking you. Best you can do is to check their reputation and their race's trustworthiness (Kiadans, for example, are great allies) before making the alliance.

The downside to not honoring the pact is the reputation hit as well as the specific ally hating you for the betrayal. Some are willing to accept this though (rather than committing suicide by declaring war on a superior force).

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 5
RE: Another Mutual Defence Pact question - 7/6/2010 4:17:41 PM   
lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78

Also you say I can do it if they declare War on me?  How do I do it in that case then?

One of the interesting things is that DW allows a sort of skirmish to happen without a formal declaration of war.

You can have your ships fire on any other empire's ships and even destroy a few ships with out a state of war.

Reload your game (if you can), and do the same thing back to the aggressor without declaring war. Attack his outpost, and make him be the aggressor.

Like a previous poster said a MDP is exactly that, it is not an Alliance.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 6
RE: Another Mutual Defence Pact question - 7/6/2010 9:50:36 PM   
feygan

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

quote:

One of the interesting things is that DW allows a sort of skirmish to happen without a formal declaration of war.

You can have your ships fire on any other empire's ships and even destroy a few ships with out a state of war.

Reload your game (if you can), and do the same thing back to the aggressor without declaring war. Attack his outpost, and make him be the aggressor.

No need to get into skirmishes, this can lead to big drops in your reputation if you hit some of the civilian bases and ships. Instead just use politics and stick them with trade sanctions along with some demands of them will soon aggravate your chosen aggressor into declaring war on you. Or by building a mining station in their territory and leaving a small task force to guard it mean you incur the "remove your military ships" wraith.

These things combined well and timely can drop your diplomatic status just as fast as attacking them without warning but you don't suffer the rep loss, rep takes too long to gain to risk throwing it away.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 7
RE: Another Mutual Defence Pact question - 7/7/2010 4:45:37 AM   
Falokis

I agree the MDP is worthless. I've only had one person to honor it to date and that was because my rep to them was like +80.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 8
RE: Another Mutual Defence Pact question - 7/7/2010 1:30:39 PM   
tornnight

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

quote:

I actually love that feature.

Sometimes an empire will blockade me or destroy some of my mining ships.

If I quickly destroy their fleet. They get pissed off and declare war.

If I don't do anything drastic, they just continue to pick off targets of opportunity and deny all responsibility. Now that is ultra realistic in my book.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 9
RE: Another Mutual Defence Pact question - 7/8/2010 5:27:12 PM   
Shark7

While you can't get them to honor the MDP if you are the one who attacks first, you can usually 'persuade' your allies to declare war with a big enough carrot...IE money or tech in trade for DOW.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to tornnight)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Another Mutual Defence Pact question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI