Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Master Wishlist Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Master Wishlist Thread Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 6/28/2010 7:59:45 PM   
nammafia

Our sun as single star is still a matter of debate. A small number of astronomers think our star is a member of a binary star system. They think this is the case because of the pattern of asteroid and comet activities. A

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 781
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 6/28/2010 8:12:55 PM   
nammafia

A few of us mention this obvious impediment to user friendliness interface but I think they (Erik & Elliot) are ignoring us or it is too difficult to change in a patch. Maybe they have bigger brains than the average players and they can keep track of where every moons are supposed to be.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 782
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 6/28/2010 9:32:27 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: nammafia

Our sun as single star is still a matter of debate. A small number of astronomers think our star is a member of a binary star system. They think this is the case because of the pattern of asteroid and comet activities. A

so where is our second sun? why don't we see it?

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to nammafia)
Post #: 783
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 6/28/2010 9:57:06 PM   
nammafia

I don't see aliens; therefore, they don't exist.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 784
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 6/28/2010 9:59:40 PM   
Igard

We're straying way off topic here guys. I've never heard of this theory of nammafia's. Perhaps it's based on how stars interact with one another. We're part of a local cluster of stars. Each star has some influence on it's neighbour and we're all basically circling one another to some degree. Could there be some distant star which started off as our suns twin?

It's interesting, but the fact is, our system is an enclosed system. We have an asteroid belt surrounding our planets and surrounding the belt is an oort cloud.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 785
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 6/28/2010 10:01:54 PM   
Igard

Nammafia, do you think it's possible there is a dead star out there that is our stars twin? possibly beyond the Oort cloud? I don't see any reason to believe it's not possible.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 786
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 6/28/2010 10:01:54 PM   
nammafia

It is all just for fun. No harm intended.

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/extinctions-nemesis.html

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 787
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 6/29/2010 7:40:46 AM   
VarekRaith

Oy, I just started a new game and had 2 other empires in my system. I just can't find the right distance settings that don't end up clumping empires together like this. They always seem to be near each other. I can make them far away from me, but then they'll be way too close to each other.
Can we please, with sugar on top, get a "Place Empires Evenly Throughout the Galaxy" option?

< Message edited by VarekRaith -- 6/29/2010 7:44:22 AM >

(in reply to nammafia)
Post #: 788
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 6/29/2010 7:43:41 AM   
VarekRaith

Whoops...Messed that up...

< Message edited by VarekRaith -- 6/29/2010 7:44:07 AM >

(in reply to VarekRaith)
Post #: 789
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 6/30/2010 11:36:38 AM   
sbach2o

The game shouldn't treat trade sanctions symmetrical. Right now it doesn't seem to remember who imposed sanctions once they are in effect.

I had a rival AI trying to bargain a lift of trade sanctions which were imposed by me for a colony. This shouldn't happen, is actually closer to a bug than just a flaw.

(in reply to VarekRaith)
Post #: 790
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 6/30/2010 4:42:43 PM   
WoodMan

I've played the game a fair bit now and I have some requests that I think would make the game better, especially for people who like to play a slower, more difficult game like I do.  These are not New Content requests, just tweaks to the Game Setup screen that I think would improve the overall experience.

1. The Home system quality slider doesn't seem to affect the fact that there is always a second colonizable planet in your home system.  I find this rather immersion breaking, that every civilisation in the galaxy has two colonized planets in their home system.  I'd like to see only your homeworld when you set the slider below average (or even when you set the slider to average, two continental planets in the same system is far better than average when you think about it).

2. Add a random option to the home system quality slider, both to your Empire and to the AI Empires that you choose on the other Empires screen.

3. Add a resource abundance slider to the Galaxy setup screen.  Reducing the galaxy quality only reduces the quality of the planets for colonization, I'd like a new slider that sets the overall average abundance of resources in the galaxy.  When sliding it down there should be more planets with no resources and more planets with single resources and general drop in the % resources on most planets.  I think resources are very abundant in the current setup, if your enemy has a resource you have no incentive to fight them for it, because there are seemingly hundreds of places across the galaxy you could build a mining base instead.

I think exploring a galaxy with less high quality planets is fun, removing the auto second colony from your first system and reducing the abundance of resources across the galaxy would make exploring the galaxy even more fun.  Not to mention the competition between Empires will be higher.

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 791
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 6/30/2010 6:47:15 PM   
jalapen0

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

I've played the game a fair bit now and I have some requests that I think would make the game better, especially for people who like to play a slower, more difficult game like I do.  These are not New Content requests, just tweaks to the Game Setup screen that I think would improve the overall experience.

1. The Home system quality slider doesn't seem to affect the fact that there is always a second colonizable planet in your home system.  I find this rather immersion breaking, that every civilisation in the galaxy has two colonized planets in their home system.  I'd like to see only your homeworld when you set the slider below average (or even when you set the slider to average, two continental planets in the same system is far better than average when you think about it).

2. Add a random option to the home system quality slider, both to your Empire and to the AI Empires that you choose on the other Empires screen.

3. Add a resource abundance slider to the Galaxy setup screen.  Reducing the galaxy quality only reduces the quality of the planets for colonization, I'd like a new slider that sets the overall average abundance of resources in the galaxy.  When sliding it down there should be more planets with no resources and more planets with single resources and general drop in the % resources on most planets.  I think resources are very abundant in the current setup, if your enemy has a resource you have no incentive to fight them for it, because there are seemingly hundreds of places across the galaxy you could build a mining base instead.

I think exploring a galaxy with less high quality planets is fun, removing the auto second colony from your first system and reducing the abundance of resources across the galaxy would make exploring the galaxy even more fun.  Not to mention the competition between Empires will be higher.

+1, all of it.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 792
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 6/30/2010 10:54:01 PM   
hidden_asbestos

Hi, I have a few more UI suggestions for you to mull over!:

* Tiny change to the large alert box that appears above the mini-map. Can you make it so it begins to slide off immediately once you click it. I've just had to pan around it to see what's going on with a mining colony attack, there didn't seem to be anything to get rid of the thing before it timed out.

* Please can you make the advisory recommendations (e.g. do you want to build these X ships?) less intrusive. Preferably they would appear first as clickable alerts in the diplomacy message stack on the left. The message boxes frequently popping up when you least expect them are the biggest immersion killer in your game right now! Bonus points for replacing the message box with a nice non-modal dialogue instead (i.e. just like the 'you've found an abandoned ship' or the 'do you want to buy a map' popups). But just having them appear when you're ready and not in the middle of a battle, etc. is the main thing I'd like to see change.

* The new smoother navigation in 1.0.5.7 is honestly not bad now - but it would look even smoother if you added some hysteresis to the zoom. I've found that  zoom += ( target_zoom - zoom ) * 0.2f every frame works well, FWIW

* edit: Oh yeah, please allow the function of the Page Up/Down keys to be swapped -- the layout right now gets me every time.

... and I'd just like to repeat some earlier suggestions for maximum UI improvement concentration in my post!:

* Can you allow holding the middle mouse button down for panning, this would let you operate the map entirely with one hand without any drastic mouse movements required to move from full-left to full-right on a 1920px wide display. This more relaxed navigation style will further add to the "I'm the King of Space" atmosphere this game is build around.

* Please let the user smoothly drag the view box around on the mini-map instead of clicking to hopefully correclty frame the bit of space they want to see.

* A 1024x768 windowed mode? activated by an unsupported command line option, perhaps?

< Message edited by hidden_asbestos -- 6/30/2010 10:57:50 PM >

(in reply to jalapen0)
Post #: 793
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/1/2010 2:58:42 PM   
jalapen0

Could we clean up the graphics for supernova's? They are quite 1989-ish currently.

(in reply to hidden_asbestos)
Post #: 794
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/1/2010 3:08:29 PM   
hidden_asbestos

quote:

ORIGINAL: jalapen0

Could we clean up the graphics for supernova's? They are quite 1989-ish currently.

That's because the light from these graphics are only now reaching us.

(in reply to jalapen0)
Post #: 795
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/4/2010 9:06:40 PM   
tornnight

I wish there was a way to toggle the strengths of the ship in debris fields.

I think the ships make things unbalanced. First empire to get them has a huge nearly unstopable advantage.

(in reply to hidden_asbestos)
Post #: 796
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/4/2010 10:40:05 PM   
DasTactic

quote:

ORIGINAL: tornnight

I think the ships make things unbalanced. First empire to get them has a huge nearly unstopable advantage.

Agree 100%. Or perhaps if the game had a multiplier placed on weapon damage and shields for these ships to choke the effectiveness until your research has caught up. Would also then provide more incentive to scrap ships for the research boost.

Eg. Lets say ship tech damage is 48 for a particular beam weapon on a ship that has been repaired from a debris field. Current research tech best beam weapon is 16 for the player. If the multiplier was say 25% of the difference, the beam weapon would perform at 24 ((48 - 16)*.25 + 16). When research then advanced to say 24 damage, the ship weapon would perform at 30 ((48 - 24)*.25 + 24). And so on until it caught up. Shields could have the same sort of multiplier.

This way the ships are still really useful but are scaled in both protection and fire power.

(in reply to tornnight)
Post #: 797
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/5/2010 8:58:47 AM   
2guncohen

I would realy love to have control the sizeof New planets or ships.
Also acces to make default pirate ships or mercenary's. 

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 798
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/5/2010 11:41:02 AM   
Haree78

I've no doubt a lot of this has been said before but I still want this stuff more than anything.

1) Have the ability to build redundant ship designs if unable to build the newest without going in to the ship design screen and having to turn off ship design automation.  Obviously make it clear you are making an old design.  This will solve the issue of Manufacturing research screwing you early game and will also help the AI not be so limited in what it builds.

2) Extra race types.  I want to see Feline (Hello?!  Zenox?!), Robotic/Mechanical, Parasitic (everybody hates them and they don't particularly like each other), lots of new options.  A way to mod in new race types would be ideal here.  But seriously I want Cylons and Kilrathi

3) Lots more ship families PLEASE!  This has to be essential, if we are not going to get more than 20 races available then we need 20 ship families.

4) The ability to have more than 20 races.

5) Themes need to be able to have custom sounds and all sorts of other graphics such as Planets and weapons.  And if we have to have space creatures how about making them moddable too?

6) Make the Galactipedia moddable so you can put your new races in there

7) Have new Pirate factions appear, when there is little piracy going on (when most have been wiped out) have a Pirate base be created in an unoccupied system and begin pirating.

8) If you really are going to open the modding up (PLEASE!!! ) then can you make it so we can change resource types to our own so we can match it to our themes.

9) Multiple Race Images.  It would be great if we could have many images that are for the same race.  So if there are more than 1 image available then different empires would use different images and therefore it would feel like they have different leaders.  For example humans would be nice to be able to put different leader/admiral type images so each human faction would feel like they had their own personaility even if they don't

(in reply to 2guncohen)
Post #: 799
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/5/2010 12:34:24 PM   
WoodMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Das123

quote:

Agree 100%. Or perhaps if the game had a multiplier placed on weapon damage and shields for these ships to choke the effectiveness until your research has caught up. Would also then provide more incentive to scrap ships for the research boost.

Eg. Lets say ship tech damage is 48 for a particular beam weapon on a ship that has been repaired from a debris field. Current research tech best beam weapon is 16 for the player. If the multiplier was say 25% of the difference, the beam weapon would perform at 24 ((48 - 16)*.25 + 16). When research then advanced to say 24 damage, the ship weapon would perform at 30 ((48 - 24)*.25 + 24). And so on until it caught up. Shields could have the same sort of multiplier.

This way the ships are still really useful but are scaled in both protection and fire power.

An option in the New Game screen to turn on or off Galactic History would be ideal. When switched off there should be no Galactic History messages and all the ships and the devastation moon should not appear in the map. This would be good for those who want the Empires (including their own) to use their own built up strength rather than what they find scattered throughout the galaxy, and also would be better for those who are using a theme like Star Wars or Star Trek where the Galactic History is not relevent/a distraction to the current theme.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 800
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/5/2010 3:10:51 PM   
tornnight

quote:

quote:

quote:

An option in the New Game screen to turn on or off Galactic History would be ideal. When switched off there should be no Galactic History messages and all the ships and the devastation moon should not appear in the map. This would be good for those who want the Empires (including their own) to use their own built up strength rather than what they find scattered throughout the galaxy, and also would be better for those who are using a theme like Star Wars or Star Trek where the Galactic History is not relevent/a distraction to the current theme.

I agree with this as well. Mostly because I think it is so broken in it's current form. It makes even more sense when you think of other mods/themes.
I love the general 'Galactic History' idea but it needs balancing desperately.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 801
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/5/2010 4:04:14 PM   
taltamir

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree with this as well. Mostly because I think it is so broken in it's current form. It makes even more sense when you think of other mods/themes.
I love the general 'Galactic History' idea but it needs balancing desperately.

AFAIK in v1.5.0.7 something like that exists. I noticed all the ships I am finding are using much lower tech than before, and quite comparable to what I currently have.

(in reply to tornnight)
Post #: 802
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/5/2010 6:00:13 PM   
tornnight

I am using 1.5.0.7 and that is far from true for me.

The galaxy is still spitting out frigates and maybe a few destroyers. The debris are Captial ships and cruisers all with at least 1/3, usually twice better charactersitics.

Construction technology in the galaxy hasn't even progressed to the point of creating them.

Actually thats an option. Maybe constructors should only be able to repair ships that their respective construction technology can build.

That would limit capital ships and cruisers to those few found abandoned in working condition.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 803
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/6/2010 12:47:54 AM   
DasTactic

Above is a suggested change to the fleet summary. To the left of the fuel bar are dots that represent troops. To the right is the shield level in blue.

Something like this would give much easier instant feedback on your ships.

(in reply to tornnight)
Post #: 804
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/6/2010 6:20:44 PM   
caerr

That's great Das123, I would very much like something like that.

And since we're posting pictures, here's something that has been going through my head.

In the colonies screen, I would like to see if a planet has a space station available and if so, is it small, medium or large designation. I would easily see which planets need replacement space stations (destroyed by enemy or monsters while I wasn't paying attention), and also see which planets need better (bigger) space stations.

Also, seeing if a planet has troops (in the scroll down list) would be awesome, but it's kinda crowded as is.

Here's the mockup:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 805
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/6/2010 9:06:39 PM   
taltamir

quote:

I am using 1.5.0.7 and that is far from true for me.

The galaxy is still spitting out frigates and maybe a few destroyers. The debris are Captial ships and cruisers all with at least 1/3, usually twice better charactersitics.

Construction technology in the galaxy hasn't even progressed to the point of creating them.

Actually thats an option. Maybe constructors should only be able to repair ships that their respective construction technology can build.

That would limit capital ships and cruisers to those few found abandoned in working condition.

1. I was talking about component tech
2. You are right, even if it uses the exact same component tech as you, if it is a capital and the best any race can build is a frigate then it is a very powerful ship
3. Limiting repairs by your construction tech size is an interesting idea. It will provide more balance... the thing is DW is all about FINDING stuff in space. The entire game is built around it, it is very common and available to anyone. Fighting over such finds is a major part of the game... and heck, sometimes you get a nasty surprise when an AI find awesome tech/s / goverment in a ruin, or captures an advanced fleet and kicks your ass (both happened to me). Anyways, I don't know if the developers are interested in those kind of changes... it is, after all, a single player game.

(in reply to tornnight)
Post #: 806
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/6/2010 10:20:01 PM   
feygan

Couple of things that would be nice.

1.Planet happiness to require abit more effort to keep high with the ability of limited unhappiness reduction through troop/police usage.

2.Unhappy planets having the chance to riot and during rioting for a then chance to rebel until order is restored, rebelled planets would then become independent colonies and capable of rising to full empire status.

3.More diplomacy options such as trade sanctions & trade embargo's, with a higher and lower drop in diplomatic relations for each, this could also work by allowing passengers with one and not goods and blocking both with an embargo. Also the ability to specifically restrict one product from trade to an empire with a lesser relation drop than sanctions or embargo. These should also be possible to request via a third party to enact upon the same way you can request empires to declare war etc.

4.The ability to request pretty much any third party action against an empire via diplomacy, including wars, sanctions, spies etc etc. This would open up the game for quasi vassals in effect with a successful diplomatic empire able to wage wars through puppet strings keeping their own hands clean.

(in reply to 4xfan)
Post #: 807
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/7/2010 12:40:10 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: caerr

And since we're posting pictures, here's something that has been going through my head.

In the colonies screen, I would like to see if a planet has a space station available and if so, is it small, medium or large designation. I would easily see which planets need replacement space stations (destroyed by enemy or monsters while I wasn't paying attention), and also see which planets need better (bigger) space stations.

Also, seeing if a planet has troops (in the scroll down list) would be awesome, but it's kinda crowded as is.

Here's the mockup:

quote:

ORIGINAL: caerr

Here's the mockup:

I totally agree with this suggestion. Also a button to "upgrade" and "downgrade" station size from within said window would be great. I would use a slightly different image than you used though. One without the extra concentric rings around medium and small, simply different sized circles would work. or maybe 1, 2 or 3 circles without "filling".

(in reply to caerr)
Post #: 808
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/7/2010 2:32:55 PM   
jalapen0

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

I totally agree with this suggestion. Also a button to "upgrade" and "downgrade" station size from within said window would be great. I would use a slightly different image than you used though. One without the extra concentric rings around medium and small, simply different sized circles would work. or maybe 1, 2 or 3 circles without "filling".

I would like to add to this by suggesting that we also be able to right click and select ships to build from this screen as well.

EDIT: One more thing...You can't really tell what is making you money and what isn't (to my knowledge). Could we have a summary on each research station, mining station, resort, ship, colonies, etc how much money has been spent on maintenance, how much has been spent on fuel, repairs, etc vs how much has been made? Basically a profit\loss summary for each unit in the game, kinda like most business sim games. It could have a summary for the last year and one for the lifetime of the unit. It would make it easier to know where the money is coming from and set your defence priorities.

< Message edited by jalapen0 -- 7/7/2010 2:37:48 PM >

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 809
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/7/2010 7:33:58 PM   
Subotan

This is my first post on the Matrix Games forum, so I'm sorry if my entire post replicates something posted deep within this gargantuan thread. I'd first like to see that I am extremely impressed with Distant Worlds, and I expect it to steal away my long summer holidays for at least this year, and hopefully, for many years to come. However, there is one area in particular where I feel the game lacks depth.

I think there would be unanimous agreement that anything on a scale of the Clone Wars (Or even just any sci-fi civil war, if you're not a Star Wars fan ) in the game would be fantastic, partly because it would be cool, and partly because it would be a special kind of challenge for the player. However, Distant World's model of rebellion does not allow for anything of this scope. Colonies can declare independence, yes, and form their own empires, but these new Empires are not as hostile to your regime as might be expected of a bunch of revolutionaries. They covert my stuff, sure, but they don't want to completely topple my despot-ocracy. If Civil Wars are to be modelled correctly, not just that they're realistic, but so that they present enough of a challenge to be fun to the player without being annoying, this would have to be changed.

To be able to model a Civil War properly, the term must be first completely understood. The Wikipedia article is very good for this, and some of the requirements are thus:
quote:

A civil war is a war between organized groups within the same nation state,[1] or, less commonly, between two countries created from a formerly-united nation-state.[2] The aim of one side may be to take control of the country or a region, to achieve independence for a region, or to change government policies.[1] It is high-intensity conflict, often involving regular armed forces, that is sustained, organized and large-scale.

quote:

The Geneva Conventions do not specifically define the term "civil war". They do, however, describe the criteria for acts qualifying as "armed conflict not of an international character", which includes civil wars. Among the conditions listed are four requirements:

* The party in revolt must be in possession of a part of the national territory.
* The insurgent civil authority must exercise de facto authority over the population within the determinate portion of the national territory.
* The insurgents must have some amount of recognition as a belligerent.
* The legal Government is "obliged to have recourse to the regular military forces against insurgents organized as military."

From this, we can see that the small-scale rebellions that occur within DW do not fit either of these definitions. The little rebellions lack an ability to take the fight beyond the planet they're fighting on, due to a lack of ships. Fleets defecting to the opponent in the Civil War would help equalise the situation, with maybe a 1/4 or a 1/3 of the original Empire's fleet defecting to the enemy in the bigger Civil Wars.

Historically, there are all kinds of reasons and causes for Civil Wars, of varying intensities, but I have grouped the different kinds of wars into four general categories, with some historical examples for comparison:

Constitutional
- English, American, Spanish, Boshin War

Popular/Revolutionary - Chinese, Russian

Ethnic - Yugoslav Wars, Eritrean-Ethiopian, Sri Lankan

Vacuum- Somalia, Warlord Era in China

Of course, most of the above wars would have elements from all of the categories, but it is the kind of broad generalization necessary for it to be represented in the game.

A Constitutional Civil War would be one where there is an political crisis within the government that has led to institutional polarisation and armed conflict, i.e. Clausewitz's maxim in it's rawest form. Since you are the government in DW, such conflict is impossible to achieve. It could probably be best represented with some form of conflict in a legislature similar to that in GalCiv2. But even so, high levels of corruption, low/declining levels of economic growth and a proportionally large military (Oh which parts and fleets would defect to the rebels) could cause large numbers of colonies to rise up against a government that doesn't have all it's power invested in one individual (I.e. anything other than a despotism). Foreign intervention would probably be possible in such a war.

A Revolutionary Civil War would probably be the easiest to model in-game, as there is already a mechanism for it. But it can be achieved with just a press of a button, whereas in real life, a switch in government from, say, a military junta to a democracy or vice-versa would usually involve huge conflict that never really happens in DW. However, IRL, there are examples of where changes of government have occurred with little comment from the people. This usually occurs when the state of the economy and the governance is so bad, that the population are willing to take any alternative. Thus, if your democratic galactic Empire is going down the drain, Star Wars Old Republic style, then maybe a change of government to, say, a Dictatorship might be more welcomed than if your democracy was popular and well liked.

The above two would be the most essential to include if civil wars were included into DW. Both would be total conflicts, a fight to the death for both factions with no chance of a peace settlement where both sides survived. Colonies and fleets would both defect in large numbers, and foreign intervention (divided along ideological lines) would be crucial.

Ethnic civil wars would be just that, when a species of alien within your empires decides it has had another living under your cruel dominion, and rises up in revolt. Planets with majority populations of the species in question would "flip", and fleets that are based on colonies which defect would also defect. A domino effect could cause other alien species within your empire to rise up, and possibly form a confederation against you, or alternatively, if an empire of the species revolting exists, then they could be pulled into the war to fight against you. Ethnic civil wars might be easier to model with just flat out defections to enemy empires though, ideally ones with a more liberal government type than yours.

Vacuums would represent a collapse of the state, and the decent of your empire into pure anarchy. This could perhaps be due to a sudden "shock" to the government, such as losing a war, in conjunction with extremely high levels of corruption, unrest and economic decline. Colonies would be declaring themselves independent left, right and centre. Most of the military would defect, probably into pirates. A sliver of government authority centred around the capital could provide a fun challenge for veteran players.Foreign intervention would be unlikely though, as countries such as Somalia and China have shown to unite against foreign invaders, rather than get picked of one by one.

Common traits within all of the civil wars would be an upsurge in piracy, higher than normal war weariness, due to the fighting of members of the same species, and crucially, no loss of reputation for reconquering colonies (Provided you don't slaughter everyone who rebelled and turn them into Atuuk food or something). Intergalatic recognition to rebels could be implemented through trade sanctions being the default response of the intergalactic community, with a lifting of a trade sanctions counting as recognition, and greatly aggravating the original government. If a majority of empires lift trade sanctions for ethnic rebels, this could force the two opponents to make peace with each other, and grant the minority people independence.

I'm aware that this a long list of suggestions, and I don't expect to be implemented in it's entirety, or even at all if they're not popular/possible. They're just some options which I feel would add to the game, with the detail I think necessary to make them workable, and which I hope other fans of the game would agree with. I'm also aware that at times, my phrasing in the post may have sounded more like demands than the requests they are, and if so, I apologise for being rude.

tl;dr is civil wars are neat, they should be in Distant Worlds.

< Message edited by Subotan -- 7/7/2010 7:34:22 PM >

(in reply to jalapen0)
Post #: 810
Page:   <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Master Wishlist Thread Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI